Question Anyone with high Mobile Network standby battery drain

Search This thread

Biggenz

Sep 19, 2014
I used to have the classic Mobile Network standby battery drain issue, until I flashed CalyxOS.

I left my phone with 100% battery before I went to bed last night and woke up this morning 8 hours later with no drain of any kind at all.

Might be an option for anyone else with the same issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220130-080318.png
    Screenshot_20220130-080318.png
    88 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: fuxmen

mojorisin7178

Interesting. So that confirms it's a software issue and not hardware. Which is a relief. It means Google can fix it via OTA update. Hopefully enough people reported it that Google took notice. i am on chat with google now and they want me to factory reset. I was hoping to avoid that

mojorisin7178

wait just a question. you said 8 hours.those stats don't update for 24 hours. So you got 16 more hours to go till you know if the issue is fixed. that is why there are no stats at all on your screenshot. It just says battery data isn't available right now

Edit: ok I was wrong about that because I factory reset my phone (on the advise of Google support) and it's been 7 hours and I can see stats. But yes not losing anything In 8 hours is suspicious. I mean it could happen I guess my pixel 4xl got fantastic battery life and apparently mine was the only 4xl that got good battery life because everyone else hated the 4xl because of battery life. Anyway with my 4xl I would lose 1 or 2 percent overnight same with my 1,2,3a and 5. It's only the 6 that this is happening too. I just hope that it can be fixed with an software update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimueh

XmlNode

May 10, 2010
8 hours with no drain is suspicious if you are not in Airplane mode. The clock, the weather app, email client, a bunch of things at least asks back for update preiodically, so it seems odd.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
8 hours with no drain is suspicious if you are not in Airplane mode. The clock, the weather app, email client, a bunch of things at least asks back for update preiodically, so it seems odd.
He's pushing this OS all over the place, not sure why. Most people do not want to bl unlock, wipe their devices and gamble with a new OS that probably doesn't work with Google Pay. And I agree 8 hours with no drain? Not likely although I did have 0.4% / hour one night. Usual is around 0.8 - 1.0 / hour.

EtherealRemnant

Calyx doesn't do anything really in the background. It's de-Googled and has background processes limited or killed altogether. It is certainly possible to get this low idle drain considering OP is on wifi with what looks to be a very strong mobile network signal so the inefficient Exynos modem isn't draining it.

The downside of course is that a bunch of stuff doesn't work right on Calyx because there are no Play Services. You can't even access the stuff you bought IAP for...

XmlNode

May 10, 2010
I see. I don't say that it is bad. limiting or killing processes in deep sleep would hurt the notifications too, right? It is an interesting OS, but I would join to the others. I need my apps in a convenient way. I did modding in the past but now I appreciate phones that just work when I take them out from the box. :)

Reactions: mojorisin7178

Biggenz

Sep 19, 2014
He's pushing this OS all over the place, not sure why. Most people do not want to bl unlock, wipe their devices and gamble with a new OS that probably doesn't work with Google Pay. And I agree 8 hours with no drain? Not likely although I did have 0.4% / hour one night. Usual is around 0.8 - 1.0 / hour.
Where am I pushing anything? I'm sorry that I'm excited I've managed to solve a problem and want to share it with others where it could help. But hey, you're welcome to keep scrolling if my posts bother you that much.

For anyone else who might be interested, I took my phone off charge this morning and have been using it for the last 5 hours receiving Whatsapp messages, emails, calendar notifications, Doorbell/CCTV notifications and doing light internet browsing and I've lost 2% battery so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220131-121155.png
    Screenshot_20220131-121155.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 166

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Where am I pushing anything? I'm sorry that I'm excited I've managed to solve a problem and want to share it with others where it could help. But hey, you're welcome to keep scrolling if my posts bother you that much.

For anyone else who might be interested, I took my phone off charge this morning and have been using it for the last 5 hours receiving Whatsapp messages, emails, calendar notifications, Doorbell/CCTV notifications and doing light internet browsing and I've lost 2% battery so far.
You might have "solved" one problem but introduced countless others. If you're really that excited then give all the info not just overnight battery drain and be a little more forthcoming about the rom. I mean in reality if I turn off all network activity and put it into airplane mode I'd get the same results and probably even better. And then there's your thread of ...Why isn't everyone running CalyxOS? Maybe one thread would have been enough instead of cross posting the Pro and the P6. Anyway, I do believe you have gotten enough feedback so people know the pitfalls of the rom and the supposed benefits of longer battery life.

Biggenz

Sep 19, 2014
You might have "solved" one problem but introduced countless others. If you're really that excited then give all the info not just overnight battery drain and be a little more forthcoming about the rom. I mean in reality if I turn off all network activity and put it into airplane mode I'd get the same results and probably even better. And then there's your thread of ...Why isn't everyone running CalyxOS? Maybe one thread would have been enough instead of cross posting the Pro and the P6. Anyway, I do believe you have gotten enough feedback so people know the pitfalls of the rom and the supposed benefits of longer battery life.
I turned nothing off. If I had I would have said so. What's the point in posting my findings then? I would be useless wouldn't it? I don't have time to play games and lead people around the bush. I'm not 12 years old anymore.

So just to satisfy your curiosity, I use my phone in exactly the same way I have always used it. Bluetooth off, Wifi and mobile data on, location on when I need it but off at the moment. All my apps work just the same as before including my banking app. The only thing I don't use now is Google Pay, and two of my apps with in app purchases are not registered. Apart from that it is exactly how it was before.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I turned nothing off. If I had I would have said so. What's the point in posting my findings then? I would be useless wouldn't it? I don't have time to play games and lead people around the bush. I'm not 12 years old anymore.

So just to satisfy your curiosity, I use my phone in exactly the same way I have always used it. Bluetooth off, Wifi and mobile data on, location on when I need it but off at the moment. All my apps work just the same as before including my banking app. The only thing I don't use now is Google Pay, and two of my apps with in app purchases are not registered. Apart from that

Ok you stated your case across multiple threads and others have stated theirs. Time to move on don't you think?

EtherealRemnant

Mobile network standby of 2 minutes with 5 hours off the charger suggests airplane mode was in use.

I don't care how much stuff you turn off in the background, there is no way you're getting a 2% loss from 5 hours of usage unless you used the phone for less than 30 minutes in those 5 hours.

Biggenz

Sep 19, 2014
Mobile network standby of 2 minutes with 5 hours off the charger suggests airplane mode was in use.

I don't care how much stuff you turn off in the background, there is no way you're getting a 2% loss from 5 hours of usage unless you used the phone for less than 30 minutes in those 5 hours.
Ok crack on buddy. Lol

gnite6

Nov 11, 2021
Suspicious, yes, but then again... I used to be able to run my old Moto G3 for two weeks on a single charge with just a bare-bones LOS, no gapps and nothing else in the background, so it doesn't seem THAT unreasonable.

Reactions: Biggenz

mailistman

Dec 7, 2012

So just to satisfy your curiosity, I use my phone in exactly the same way I have always used it. Bluetooth off, Wifi and mobile data on, location on when I need it but off at the moment. All my apps work just the same as before including my banking app. The only thing I don't use now is Google Pay, and two of my apps with in app purchases are not registered. Apart from that it is exactly how it was before.
off topic : what camera apps are you using with calyxOS on your phone ?
i tried the stock camera app that comes with it on dec build was so basic.
will graphene camera v. 10 work for you ? https://github.com/GrapheneOS/Camera/releases/tag/10

bige93

Dec 17, 2010
Szczecin
Today mine manager to drain 10% overnight stating Mobile network WITH AIRPLANE MODE ENABLED. 🤦🏻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202-085545.png
    Screenshot_20220202-085545.png
    140 KB · Views: 102

fuxmen

Aug 4, 2010
Tarnów
Google Pixel 6
Yes, for me battery on this phone is bad too
Today mine manager to drain 10% overnight stating Mobile network WITH AIRPLANE MODE ENABLED. 🤦🏻

. I have it for weeks and nothing changed. Did clean install in December. I have only maybe 20-25 apps.. mine 2 year old op7t was doing better with a lot smaller battery :/ and this screen touch issues that are reported i other topic have them too...If google won't repair this two big problems until April i thing i will say goodbye to Pixel...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used to have the classic Mobile Network standby battery drain issue, until I flashed CalyxOS.

I left my phone with 100% battery before I went to bed last night and woke up this morning 8 hours later with no drain of any kind at all.

Might be an option for anyone else with the same issue.
    wait just a question. you said 8 hours.those stats don't update for 24 hours. So you got 16 more hours to go till you know if the issue is fixed. that is why there are no stats at all on your screenshot. It just says battery data isn't available right now

Edit: ok I was wrong about that because I factory reset my phone (on the advise of Google support) and it's been 7 hours and I can see stats. But yes not losing anything In 8 hours is suspicious. I mean it could happen I guess my pixel 4xl got fantastic battery life and apparently mine was the only 4xl that got good battery life because everyone else hated the 4xl because of battery life. Anyway with my 4xl I would lose 1 or 2 percent overnight same with my 1,2,3a and 5. It's only the 6 that this is happening too. I just hope that it can be fixed with an software update.
    I see. I don't say that it is bad. limiting or killing processes in deep sleep would hurt the notifications too, right? It is an interesting OS, but I would join to the others. I need my apps in a convenient way. I did modding in the past but now I appreciate phones that just work when I take them out from the box. :)
    Suspicious, yes, but then again... I used to be able to run my old Moto G3 for two weeks on a single charge with just a bare-bones LOS, no gapps and nothing else in the background, so it doesn't seem THAT unreasonable.
    which version of the GCam and GPhotos that work for you ? and are you on calyxos december build ?
    thank you !
    Not sure. The latest from the Play Store and whatever version is on Calyx website.