• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Anyways to improve app management / frequent app closures?

Search This thread

Fishwithadeagle

Aug 26, 2012
The phone runs well, but it can barely keep chrome and a settings page open in the background. There should be around 1.4gb free in the background.

Flashing other roms should help, however trying to unlock the bootloader has proven challenging.

daboross

I've found disabling the Google app, and removing permissions from the default Camera and OnePlus Launcher to help significantly.

Here's my stock RAM usage without anything disabled:

Screenshot_20210731-231857.jpg

My screenshot didn't include this, but Camera and OnePlus Launcher are just below, too, despite me using a third party camera (OpenCamera) and launcher (Nova Launcher).

I disabled Google, disabled Assistant, and force killed and removed all permissions from Camera and OnePlus Launcher, and now I can keep 3 or even 4 apps in memory! Like, I can switch back and forth between GMail, Firefox, and Settings without any of them ever leaving memory.

I suspect my removing permissions on the other two apps didn't do a ton, so I think it was disabling Google that did the trick. Not having Google Assistant running 100% of the time must have opened up a lot of RAM....

Here's a fuller screenshot of my memory usage for the "past day" which includes a lot of time before I did this, and some time after:

Screenshot_20210801-002158.jpg

Here's a screenshot for the past 3 hours, which is entirely after I did this:

Screenshot_20210801-121753.jpg

I can't remember my exact total memory usage before, but I think it sat around 3.5GB. The change to behavior was immediate after disabling Google, but memory usage was still up to 3.2 / 3.7GB after a few hours. The next day, it's down to 2.5GB / 3.7GB.

I think disabiling Google and clearing those permissions somehow reduced System memory usage as well?

I suspect, like you said, we'll be able to get an even more effecient system with custom ROMs, and that might make it feasible to re-enable Google Assistant. But for now, this is a huge improvement and I'll be leaving it off.

This was not a very scientific post, but it made such a difference, I had to post it. Could someone else who's experiencing this try it, take full screenshots of the developer options -> app memory usage before and after and confirm if it's entirely Google which makes the difference?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210801-003307.jpg
    Screenshot_20210801-003307.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Fishwithadeagle

Aug 26, 2012
I'm currently seeing if I can disable the oneplus launcher, but it definitely seems to be breaking recents. Changing to nova launcher may possible reduce active ram utilization, although I'm not certain yet. Disabling the google assistant absolutely improved ram usage, so i'm keeping that off. I wish we could bind the gesture that brough up google assistant to just a general google search, but whatever at this point.

BTW, the best way to check active ram usage is under developer settings under running services.

Fishwithadeagle

Aug 26, 2012
Update to previous post: I disabled quite literally everything I could, replaced stock camera with gcam, I'm still using the oneplus launcher for recents and I'm sitting between 1.4 and 1.6 gb free. This is including not including the 200mb the settings app is utilizing while open. As such, in reality, it should be idling closer to 1.6-1.8 gb. I currently have android os utilizing 1.4 gb, which is the area I'd love to get down as that is the biggest chunk of ram usage. Either way, there seems to be progress and I'll see how it runs over the coming days.

Reactions: daboross

daboross

To be clear, I removed permissions from OnePlus Launcher, but I couldn't seem to find a way to actually disable it... So it's still running in the background on my phone, in addition to Nova Launcher. But I'm glad that helped, and than disabling Google helped for you too!

Fishwithadeagle

Aug 26, 2012
To be clear, I removed permissions from OnePlus Launcher, but I couldn't seem to find a way to actually disable it... So it's still running in the background on my phone, in addition to Nova Launcher. But I'm glad that helped, and than disabling Google helped for you too!

You can disable it via an adb command, however it removes the recents capability so you have to leave it running. Switching launchers nets you a total ram usage of 67mb for one plus laucher + whatever the other launcher is using, however it already uses 127 mb when the oneplus launcher is the main launcher basically making it a wash.

The phone is much improved, but even now the app management is definitely too severe imo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm currently seeing if I can disable the oneplus launcher, but it definitely seems to be breaking recents. Changing to nova launcher may possible reduce active ram utilization, although I'm not certain yet. Disabling the google assistant absolutely improved ram usage, so i'm keeping that off. I wish we could bind the gesture that brough up google assistant to just a general google search, but whatever at this point.

BTW, the best way to check active ram usage is under developer settings under running services.
    Update to previous post: I disabled quite literally everything I could, replaced stock camera with gcam, I'm still using the oneplus launcher for recents and I'm sitting between 1.4 and 1.6 gb free. This is including not including the 200mb the settings app is utilizing while open. As such, in reality, it should be idling closer to 1.6-1.8 gb. I currently have android os utilizing 1.4 gb, which is the area I'd love to get down as that is the biggest chunk of ram usage. Either way, there seems to be progress and I'll see how it runs over the coming days.