• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Themes / Apps / Mods aodNotify - Notification Light / LED for Pixel 6 Pro!

Search This thread

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
This app was initially developed for Samsung Galaxy devices with Always on Display. As Pixel devices also have an Always on Display i decided to port the Samsung version to Pixel devices.

You need a notification light / LED for your Pixel 6!
With aodNotify you can easily add a notification light / LED to your Pixel 6!

You can select different notification light styles and show the notification light around the camera cutout, screen edges or even simulate an notification LED dot in the statusbar of your Pixel 6 or Pixel 5!

As the notification light is integrated in Google's Always On Display it has minimal battery consumption and doesn't drain your battery like other apps which keep your phone awake!

MAIN FEATURES
• Notification light / LED for Pixel 6, Pixel 5 or Pixel 4a!
• Low energy notification preview
• Activate Always On Display (AOD) only on notifications
• Charging / Low battery light / LED

MORE FEATURES
• Notification light styles (around camera, screen, LED dot)
• Custom app / contact colors
• ECO animations to save battery
• Interval mode (on/off) to save battery
• Night times to save battery

BATTERY USAGE PER HOUR ~:
• LED - 3.0%
• LED & INTERVAL - 2.0%
• LED & ECO ANIMATION - 1.8%
• LED & ECO ANIMATION & INTERVAL - 1.5%
• NOTIFICATION PREVIEW - 1.0%
• ALWAYS ON DISPLAY - 1.0%

Without notification light the app consumes almost 0% battery!

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for the AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot. The values above are approximate values from old Pixel devices.

DOWNLOAD:

DEVICES
• Pixel 6 / 6 Pro
• Pixel 5
• Pixel 4a
• Pixel ...

NOTES
• The app is still in beta stage, errors may occur!!
• Google may block this app with future updates!
• Please check if the app is compatible before updating phone software!
• Altough we never experienced any screen burn in issues on our test devices, we recommend to not keep the notification light / LED active for a long time! Use at you own responsibility!

"Google Pixel" is a protected trademark of "Google LLC"

Last edited:

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
zoom_ezgifcfjpa.gif
144261909_500312494280pjnf.jpg

1mtuj24.png
7m7zk0k.png

The position of the light around the camera cutout may not be accurate in this beta.

Position can be adjusted in Notification light > Size & position > fine tuning section in the app.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Thank you! Bought. Will definitely be testing and using this!

Update: The Enable AOD in the initial setup takes me to Display settings but I had trouble finding where to re-enable AOD and set to always on. It was in the Display/Lock Screen sub-menu and I had to enable "Always show time and info".

It's also frustrating while writing this that aodNotify disappears from Recently when I'm trying to switch back and forth between the XDA App and it before I've finished completely setting up aodNotify. Actually still disappears from Recents even once it's setup too.

(All the following are fixed)
The attached screenshot shows the appropriate centered offsets for the camera ring on the Pixel 6 Pro. The Zoom, Zoom Ring, Galaxy Spin, and Florescent Tube effects don't appear to respect those settings.

General (Power Saving) / Custom Nighttime repeatedly wants to install or update the Manager app and I can't enable it.

I wouldn't mind the DnD option except if only want it to follow specific scheduled DnD, not DnD that I manually enable.

I prefer to be able to set custom battery low and full percentages, such as 25 and 75, respectively.

Does the app use Google's ability to back up app data to the cloud? Otherwise will there be an option to backup and restore manually?

Thanks, I think that's all regarding testing for now.

No longer applies, for the original testing version:

Last edited:

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
Thank you! Bought. Will definitely be testing and using this!

Thanks for the feedback. Theres an update on the way fixing position and some other issues.

You can set position offset to 0 on next release then.

The app is not in recents, because its getting killed then if you clear apps. Users complained about this.

Thanks for the initial setup hint. Optimised descriptions now.

Trying to optimize as soon as i get my Pixel.

Izy

DEVICES
• Pixel 6 / 6 Pro
• Pixel 5
• Pixel 4a
• Pixel ...

NOTES
• Altough we never experienced any screen burn in issues on our test devices, we recommend to not keep the notification light / LED active for a long time! Use at you own responsibility!
Thanks will try this when my device arrives

question, have you not considered have X-Y sliders to adjust the position of the notification circle/led and its scaling

This means you should theoretically have 1 app that supports all your current devices and futures devices other than minor compatibility fixes

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
Thanks will try this when my device arrives

question, have you not considered have X-Y sliders to adjust the position of the notification circle/led and its scaling

This means you should theoretically have 1 app that supports all your current devices and futures devices other than minor compatibility fixes

There are position sliders in the app for sure. But theres much more going on in behind.

I highly optimize the app for specific manufacturers. For this there are a Samsung, Google, OnePlus and a Global version for now.

I couldnt manage to merge them all into one unfortunately, bacause they all have different always on display implementations.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Izy

There are position sliders in the app for sure. But theres much more going on in behind.

I highly optimize the app for specific manufacturers. For this there are a Samsung, Google, OnePlus and a Global version for now.

I couldnt manage to merge them all into one unfortunately, bacause they all have different always on display implementations.
ahh yeah makes perfect sense i've been lucky to have an led in current phone (note 9)

hopefully in future it will be more standardized in oems code implementation

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
This is looking pretty good! Any plan to implement multiple colors for the notification light?
It's awesome. It includes the kitchen sink, too! Check the Colors menu. I prefer the "Auto Colors" option for apps, I changed the Battery notification colors, and I might set specific colors for special contacts like my wife. It would be extra nice to be able to have the camera ring notification for my wife be extra noticeable. :D

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Does that mean that when I have an unread WhatsApp message that creates a green ring around the camera cutout it costs me about 24% battery during 8 hours of sleep?
You can define how frequently and for how long the app generates the notifications, and even define sporadic notifications off x pattern for y amount of time if that's what you want.

Reactions: mko000

mko000

Jul 27, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Huawei Nexus 6P
You can define how frequently and for how long the app generates the notifications, and even define sporadic notifications off x pattern for y amount of time if that's what you want.
Let's say that a flashing light only requires 2/3 of that, it's still a lot.
Don't you guys use flip to shh when sleeping? I just turn my phone around and it's quiet and the display is off 100%.
Good idea, but that would mean I would probably need two hands to snooze the alarm? I'll try it out.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Let's say that a flashing light only requires 2/3 of that, it's still a lot.
I've always liked this app made for the other devices I've used. I doubt if it'll use even 2/3 of what you mentioned. Personally, I set mine to only notify for up to 5 minutes. Anything beyond 5 minutes, I know to just turn on my screen and see if I've had any new activity because I was most likely going to the bathroom or purposefully taking a nap away from my phone.

You can adjust as you see fit.

Top Liked Posts

@Jawomo are you planning on updating the sideactions app for Android 12, several poeple have reported issues for weeks on Playstore and XDA since the app is not working on Android 12, but you haven't responded to anyone.
    its on my list already, hopefully i find some time next week.
    Yes I have that option turned off but it seems it only works partially
    The app is still in Beta, I believe. I may have noticed some anomalous behavior with the latest Beta, v1.14, as well. Hopefully, the trouble will be cleared up.
    I found a way to completely disable the AOD when not needed using adb. Coming in next beta. This can save up to 25% battery per day!
    Rollout of aodNotify 1.08 beta has started!

Added some experimental adb mods to change aod brightness and reduce battery consumption!

• Brightness mod
    • Powersaving mod
    • Preview optimizations
    • Interval bug fixed
    • Translations updated
    • Fixes & optimizations
    Good news, i was able to get edge lighting around screen edges to work again on andoid 12.

New beta coming soon!
    i dont know why this happens, but googles purchase api doesnt like multiple google active accounts afaik. I recommend contacting google for this as they take care over the whole payment process. Maybe they have a tip
    I figured out the situation. I triggered my pixel to download the aodNotify app from my mac web browser and it logined with A account(US region). My pixel has logined with A(US region) and B(TW region).
    I used B account to purchase aodNotify Pro in-app. Follow the google policy, if I downloaded aodNotify first time by A, I need to use A to purchase in-app.

I contact google to refund my first purchase and use A account to purchase again. Now, everything is fine.

This app is awesome, keep going!
    I believe I have... What is the most eco setting?

As for AOD it's set so that it's off and only show the notification pulse :
    FYI that setting doesn't mean the AOD is 'off', it means the regular AOD elements like the clock etc are constantly hidden behind another layer.

The AOD can by design never be 'off' while using this app. So the app is constantly drawing elements on top of the AOD elements to hide them which in turn shows up as additional 'wake time'.

At least that's how I understand the app is working.
    This app was initially developed for Samsung Galaxy devices with Always on Display. As Pixel devices also have an Always on Display i decided to port the Samsung version to Pixel devices.

You need a notification light / LED for your Pixel 6!
    With aodNotify you can easily add a notification light / LED to your Pixel 6!

You can select different notification light styles and show the notification light around the camera cutout, screen edges or even simulate an notification LED dot in the statusbar of your Pixel 6 or Pixel 5!

As the notification light is integrated in Google's Always On Display it has minimal battery consumption and doesn't drain your battery like other apps which keep your phone awake!

MAIN FEATURES
    • Notification light / LED for Pixel 6, Pixel 5 or Pixel 4a!
    • Low energy notification preview
    • Activate Always On Display (AOD) only on notifications
    • Charging / Low battery light / LED

MORE FEATURES
    • Notification light styles (around camera, screen, LED dot)
    • Custom app / contact colors
    • ECO animations to save battery
    • Interval mode (on/off) to save battery
    • Night times to save battery

BATTERY USAGE PER HOUR ~:
    • LED - 3.0%
    • LED & INTERVAL - 2.0%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION - 1.8%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION & INTERVAL - 1.5%
    • NOTIFICATION PREVIEW - 1.0%
    • ALWAYS ON DISPLAY - 1.0%

Without notification light the app consumes almost 0% battery!

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for the AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot. The values above are approximate values from old Pixel devices.

DOWNLOAD:

DEVICES
    • Pixel 6 / 6 Pro
    • Pixel 5
    • Pixel 4a
    • Pixel ...

NOTES

"Google Pixel" is a protected trademark of "Google LLC"
    I found a way to completely disable the AOD when not needed using adb. Coming in next beta. This can save up to 25% battery per day!
    Does that mean that when I have an unread WhatsApp message that creates a green ring around the camera cutout it costs me about 24% battery during 8 hours of sleep?
    Oh, these 3% per hour are only approximate values based on old Pixel devices.

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot.

Additionally there are low energy eco effects, interval mode and sleep times which can drastically reduce battery consumption in aodNotify.

Just give it a try. As soon as i get my Pixel i'll start optimizing even further.
    Rollout of aodNotify 1.08 beta has started!

Added some experimental adb mods to change aod brightness and reduce battery consumption!

• Brightness mod
    • Powersaving mod
    • Preview optimizations
    • Interval bug fixed
    • Translations updated
    • Fixes & optimizations
    Good news, i was able to get edge lighting around screen edges to work again on andoid 12.

New beta coming soon!