• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Themes / Apps / Mods aodNotify - Notification Light / LED for Pixel 6 Pro!

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Actually found 1.14 off APK mirror. Not linking in case that's against rules but so far seems good again! Love this app btw
Thank you! Good to know. I might go that route, we'll see. On v1.10 I was able to use the experimental low-power switch in aodNotify (when used in combination with the CleanSlate kernel), but on v1.13 I had to disable low power mode or I had problems. I might just want until the Play Store version gets officially updated, though.

Note: I don't *think* there's any rule against links to alternate sources of APKs. I've certainly seen them even in the last month in this section, and I even posted some myself. I'm no expert, however.

QD2DC

Oct 25, 2007
Eh, a simple Google search for APK mirror and the app and it's the first result lol. Anyone that wants to try it can figure it out I'm sure. I'm just glad it's working again. Idk why notification lights aren't a thing any more on smart phones haha

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Eh, a simple Google search for APK mirror and the app and it's the first result lol. Anyone that wants to try it can figure it out I'm sure. I'm just glad it's working again. Idk why notification lights aren't a thing any more on smart phones haha
Off Topic: I think they want to push the Always On Display, and save the front real estate from being partially taken away by a notification LED.

I remember being very picky about my phone's notification LEDs. The Galaxy S2's (actually Samsung Epic 4G Touch) was too big (like how a kid would draw one with a crayon), the S3's was perfect. I don't remember what my LG G3's was like, I think acceptable. The original Pixel's was way too tiny.

On topic: I think OEM's choices like these certainly provide the opportunity for developers to make great solutions that are even better or more customizable than what the OEMs would come up with if they had to, plus some clever tricks to get around some limitations, especially when the app doesn't even require root (thank goodness ADB is enough for some things for those who don't).

QD2DC

Oct 25, 2007
Off Topic: I think they want to push the Always On Display, and save the front real estate from being partially taken away by a notification LED.

I remember being very picky about my phone's notification LEDs. The Galaxy S2's (actually Samsung Epic 4G Touch) was too big (like how a kid would draw one with a crayon), the S3's was perfect. I don't remember what my LG G3's was like, I think acceptable. The original Pixel's was way too tiny.

On topic: I think OEM's choices like these certainly provide the opportunity for developers to make great solutions that are even better or more customizable than what the OEMs would come up with if they had to, plus some clever tricks to get around some limitations, especially when the app doesn't even require root (thank goodness ADB is enough for some things for those who don't).
This is true. I loved how my HTC Droid DNA had two notification lights, one on the front and one on the rear. AOD is nice and all but the power draw is noticeable for sure. With this app, and aod set to NOT show, I only lose about 1%-3% overnight off the charger, which is incredible for me. This phone is both my work and personal so I get emails and notifications 24/7.

NeteroHxH

Dec 2, 2021
Is there a future uptade or something I can do to prevent the notifications to turn the screen on ? The first notification I receive (when theres no notification pending before I reveive a new one) always turns the screen on and I really would like to prevent this from happening

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Is there a future uptade or something I can do to prevent the notifications to turn the screen on ? The first notification I receive (when theres no notification pending before I reveive a new one) always turns the screen on and I really would like to prevent this from happening
Do you have the option I have circled in red on or off?

Screenshot_20211201-222003~2.png

Lucif54

Dec 2, 2021
@Jawomo are you planning on updating the sideactions app for Android 12, several poeple have reported issues for weeks on Playstore and XDA since the app is not working on Android 12, but you haven't responded to anyone.

QD2DC

Oct 25, 2007
@Jawomo Not sure if this has been reported, but one side affect of the "Don't Show" under aod operation mode is it also disables the pixel dock functions. Anyway to whitelist that trigger or account for it somehow? Pixel dock works regardless of factory aod setting, on or off, it has it's own trigger, but that option of "Don't Show" also affects pixel dock function it seems. Thanks!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Ok seriously. What the hell can I do to stop this app from keeping my device awake and destroying my battery life...
These are need settings that wish well for me.

{"prefGlowPrevTitle":false,"prefModeOnNotification":false,"prefWakeScreen":false,"prefUniColor":false,"prefAnimRotate":false,"prefGlowColorCycle":false,"prefSleepDnd":false,"seekGlowPrevDividerSize":50,"prefSleepTimeoutNew":19,"prefMessagePreview":true,"prefAnimSwirlSplit":false,"prefNotifContact":"Julie","pref_cutout_left":653,"prefGlowScreen":true,"seekGlowWidthFinger":35,"mRate205":true,"prefStyleDotLock":false,"seekGlowScaleCam":0,"prefModeNever":true,"pref_cutout_top":0,"prefAlwaysOn":true,"prefModeAlways":false,"prefGlowPrevIconRow":true,"prefNotifBat":"com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.fullcharging|com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.lowbattery","seekGlowPrevIconRowSize":100,"prefGlowColorLatest":true,"prefIgnoreUnlocked":true,"prefSleepStartMin":30,"prefAllowGlow_com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.ischarging":true,"prefGlowPrevBg":false,"prefClearScreenOn":false,"seekGlowWidthScreen":35,"prefAnimPulse":false,"data_pro":true,"prefGlowPrevApp":false,"seekGlowTimeoutRepeat":0,"prefAnimMid":false,"prefAnimSwirl":false,"seekGlowScaleFinger":0,"pref_cutout_right":783,"pref_cutout_res_width":1440,"prefGlowScreenColor":true,"seekGlowTimeoutAll":7,"prefAnimNeonBlink":false,"initOverlay_2":true,"prefGlowScreenDefaultColor":-5051406,"seekGlowYFinger":0,"prefAnimGravity":false,"prefProPrice":"$4.99","prefAnimShimmer":false,"log_13":true,"data_battery":false,"prefStyleCutout":false,"prefModeHelper":true,"prefSleepEndHour":7,"prefAnimMidEco":false,"prefAllowGlow_com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.lowbattery":true,"seekGlowWidthCam":100,"pref_cutout_bottom":130,"data_manager":false,"seekGlowYDot":0,"seekWakeTime":10,"seekGlowSpeedNew":200,"seekGlowPrevTitleSize":50,"seekGlowTimeoutPause":0,"seekGlowScaleScreen":0,"prefSleepTimeoutNewCount":86400,"log_22":true,"prefStyleFingerLock":false,"seekPreviewTimeoutCount":300,"log_21":true,"prefGlowPrevInvert":false,"seekGlowDotPos":37,"tut_4":true,"seekScreenOnTime":0,"prefClearRemove":false,"prefAnimOnOff":true,"log_19":true,"prefGlowScreenDefaultColor_com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.fullcharging":-11751600,"prefGlowPrevTime":false,"initP6":true,"prefSleepTimeoutNewEnabled":true,"prefAnimBeat":false,"seekGlowPrevTextSize":50,"seekGlowEdgeScreen":12,"prefAllowText_com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.lowbattery":true,"data_android":31,"prefStyleDot":false,"prefGlowPrevContact":true,"prefStyleDisabled":true,"data_app":22,"prefStyleEdgeLock":false,"seekPreviewTimeout":7,"prefAnimNeonRotate":false,"seekGlowTimeoutRepeatCount":0,"prefSleepStartHour":21,"prefAnimMidVert":false,"seekGlowX":0,"prefGlowScreenDefaultColor_com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.ischarging":-14059009,"prefGlowPrevIco":false,"prefGlowPrevLeft":false,"seekGlowY":0,"seekScreenOnTimeCount":5,"seekGlowTimeoutAllCount":300,"seekGlowSizeX":0,"data_device":"Pixel 6 Pro","seekGlowSizeY":0,"prefSleepTimes":true,"data_samsung_aod":"","prefAnimShot":false,"prefIgnorePersistent":true,"prefGlowScreenDefaultColor_com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.lowbattery":-769226,"log_8":true,"prefStyleEdge":false,"log_9":true,"prefAllowText_com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight.fullcharging":true,"prefBrightness":false,"log_5":true,"seekGlowDotScale":0,"prefGlowScreenDefaultColor_Julie":-14244198,"prefPreviewHint3":false,"prefSleepEndMin":0,"seekGlowTimeoutPauseCount":0,"pref_cutout_res_height":3120,"prefStyleCutoutLock":true,"100":true,"prefAnimFlash":false,"prefGlowPrevText":false,"seekGlowPrevHeaderSize":50,"prefAnimZoom":false,"prefClearUnlock":true,"prefRatingValue":5,"prefAnimZoomRing":false}

c_86

• Wow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    some minor adjustments may be needed, please see notification light settings > position and size
    I tweaked thickness +1. moving position just nudged the the slight difference to the other side.

but thanks anyway. good app
    Is there a thread or group for AODNotify to ask questions so I don't go OT here? I just installed it and I like it so far. Obviously I'll have to pay for it once I decide to keep it but the adb commands you speak of, is there a way to turn them off if you decide to? And when you say AOD minimal on screen, what do you mean? Ok so I went OT for a bit.

Replying to your post in the other thread where you asked. By minimal - I never remember off the top of my head what it's called in the app, but looking at the app now. It's in the app's General section, at the top there's "Always on Display operation mode". There are three choices. The default is probably "Show always", which would cause regular AOD to operate as normal, except for the additional stuff on the screen generated by AODNotify, depending on how you have it set. The other two options for it are "Only on notification" and "Don't show". I have it set to "Don't show". You can see the description of the option in the app.

At the bottom of the General section, in the section "ADB mods (experimental)", I used the ADB command (copied to the clipboard when you click on the grayed-out options), and then I enable "Power saving mode", and you can see that description there too.

The ADB command only enables these options to get toggled, it doesn't do anything else. Run the ADB command and then I think you can toggle these options at will, but I haven't bothered disabling the "Power saving mode" after I enabled it, and I haven't used the other option to increase it's brightness.

Besides this thread, in the app's Help menu, there's a link to Support on Facebook. I haven't joined the group on Facebook...yet.
    After you copy the adb command to the clipboard how do you enter it on your computer?

So the AOD must be on in lockscreen settings but you can turn it off in this app I presume. I guess I have to start reading this thread since most of my questions will have been asked. I'll circle back later. I did purchase it so all cards are on the table. lol

adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

adb shell pm revoke com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    Would this be the command to remove it?

@Jawomo Does this app interfere with photo album display on the Pixel stand?
    After you copy the adb command to the clipboard how do you enter it on your computer?

I paste the command to an email to myself and then make a "permanent" record of the ADB command where I keep my Android stuff on my computer. Probably most of the emails I send from my personal account are to myself. LOL!

So the AOD must be on in lockscreen settings but you can turn it off in this app I presume.
    Yes.

I guess I have to start reading this thread since most of my questions will have been asked. I'll circle back later. I did purchase it so all cards are on the table. lol
    :D

adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

adb shell pm revoke com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    Would this be the command to remove it?
    I don't know, I've never revoked permissions when I gave them to an app through ADB.

Are you concerned with revoking the right for AODNotify to write secure settings? I mean, do you plan on enabling it through ADB, then toggling the toggle in the app, and then revoking the permission?

Or do you plan only on revoking the permission if you don't like how it works?
    For some reason my aod is turning off after maybe 2 seconds and I get a black screen until I push the power button. I deleted all data from the apk and it persists so I assume something is causing this outside of the apk? I recently flashed Kiri kernel. Not sure if that kernel maybe has a battery savings tweak of disabling the aod after a few seconds?

Edit:. Fixed it. I had enabled a setting in a battery management app I have.
    This app was initially developed for Samsung Galaxy devices with Always on Display. As Pixel devices also have an Always on Display i decided to port the Samsung version to Pixel devices.

You need a notification light / LED for your Pixel 6!
    With aodNotify you can easily add a notification light / LED to your Pixel 6!

You can select different notification light styles and show the notification light around the camera cutout, screen edges or even simulate an notification LED dot in the statusbar of your Pixel 6 or Pixel 5!

As the notification light is integrated in Google's Always On Display it has minimal battery consumption and doesn't drain your battery like other apps which keep your phone awake!

MAIN FEATURES
    • Notification light / LED for Pixel 6, Pixel 5 or Pixel 4a!
    • Low energy notification preview
    • Activate Always On Display (AOD) only on notifications
    • Charging / Low battery light / LED

MORE FEATURES
    • Notification light styles (around camera, screen, LED dot)
    • Custom app / contact colors
    • ECO animations to save battery
    • Interval mode (on/off) to save battery
    • Night times to save battery

BATTERY USAGE PER HOUR ~:
    • LED - 3.0%
    • LED & INTERVAL - 2.0%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION - 1.8%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION & INTERVAL - 1.5%
    • NOTIFICATION PREVIEW - 1.0%
    • ALWAYS ON DISPLAY - 1.0%

Without notification light the app consumes almost 0% battery!

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for the AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot. The values above are approximate values from old Pixel devices.

DOWNLOAD:

DEVICES
    • Pixel 6 / 6 Pro
    • Pixel 5
    • Pixel 4a
    • Pixel ...

NOTES
    • The app is still in beta stage, errors may occur!!
    • Google may block this app with future updates!
    • Please check if the app is compatible before updating phone software!
    • Altough we never experienced any screen burn in issues on our test devices, we recommend to not keep the notification light / LED active for a long time! Use at you own responsibility!

"Google Pixel" is a protected trademark of "Google LLC"
    I found a way to completely disable the AOD when not needed using adb. Coming in next beta. This can save up to 25% battery per day!
    Does that mean that when I have an unread WhatsApp message that creates a green ring around the camera cutout it costs me about 24% battery during 8 hours of sleep?
    Oh, these 3% per hour are only approximate values based on old Pixel devices.

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot.

Additionally there are low energy eco effects, interval mode and sleep times which can drastically reduce battery consumption in aodNotify.

Just give it a try. As soon as i get my Pixel i'll start optimizing even further.
    zoom_ezgifcfjpa.gif
    144261909_500312494280pjnf.jpg

1mtuj24.png
    7m7zk0k.png

The position of the light around the camera cutout may not be accurate in this beta.

Position can be adjusted in Notification light > Size & position > fine tuning section in the app.
    Good news, i was able to get edge lighting around screen edges to work again on andoid 12.

New beta coming soon!