Themes / Apps / Mods aodNotify - Notification Light / LED for Pixel 6 Pro!

Search This thread

nor-ric

Jul 9, 2012
@Jawomo Thank you so much for your great piece of software!

Feature request: could you please allow app-specific led timeout (I think it's called "display time")? Since the notification led causes a persistent wakelock, I would like to achieve the following battery-friendly setup:
- AoD generally off
- AoD on for specific applications, but with a very short led duration
- AoD on and long led duration, for missed calls

Edit: one more thing, other apps are able to distinguish the notifications coming from whatsapp/telegram individual chats vs group-chats. It would be convenient to only trigger the notification led for individual chats.

Last edited:

stereo007

Sep 25, 2013
Hello all,
I have another small problem. Maybe it's just a setting that I haven't found yet.
Is it possible to keep the notification light flashing after unlocking the phone? There are 3 options to choose from but it doesn't work (notifaction cleared). When I lock the phone again, even though there are still unread messages, nothing flashes. It only works as long as "dislay time - screen is on" was set.

Another problem is: If I have set a idle time and messages come in the time, they are not displayed even after the idle time is over. Even if messages arrive after the idle time. I have to unlock the phone after the idle time mark all messages as read if available, only then it works again.

Have a nice weekend

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
BATTERY USAGE PER HOUR ~:
• LED - 3.0%
• LED & INTERVAL - 2.0%
• LED & ECO ANIMATION - 1.8%
• LED & ECO ANIMATION & INTERVAL - 1.5%
• NOTIFICATION PREVIEW - 1.0%
• ALWAYS ON DISPLAY - 1.0%
@Jawomo Can you provide more context for this? Without context it makes no sense in the app description. Does it use 3% batter-per-hour if an LED is lit continuously? Is the 2% if it's blinking on an interval all the time for the whole hour? What if you have it set to only turn on AOD when a notification is visible? Is this the usage even if a notification isn't active? There are a lot of unanswered questions in the App Store description from just this.

Thanks!

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Is anyone else having notifications freezing on one colour well past the display notifications for x number of minutes, and never releasing until you open close it from the android notifcations drop down?

Augustin79

Apr 9, 2015
Hi @Jawomo and thanks for this great app!

Just wanted to leave a feature request if I may; would it be possible to add a schedule option for "Always on Display operation mode"? This way it would be possible to let it run on "Show always" while at work, and then after the set time have it revert to "Only on notification"??

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Kodijack

Love it, instant buy!

Would only suggest two things:
- Being able to set a brightness of our choice for different type of notifications like full brightness for high-priority.
- Being able to set two completely different types for screen-on and screen-off. Like big LED-rings for off and tiny edge-lightning for when on.

Still would prefer my good old LED...damn you "progress".

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hello, I bought the pro app. but i have an issue : the led notification is too much darker. Any idea to make it brighter ?
Have you tried this (I don't use the option, personally):
1646325098498.png

jcp2

Have you tried this (I don't use the option, personally):
View attachment 5551683
I am unable to select the adb mods.

C:\Platform Tools v33.0.0 For Pixel 6 Pro>adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS.

Exception occurred while executing 'grant':
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown permission: android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS.
at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermissionInternal(PermissionManagerService.java:1478)
at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManagerService.java:1436)
at android.permission.PermissionManager.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManager.java:380)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runGrantRevokePermission(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:2384)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:260)
at com.android.modules.utils.BasicShellCommandHandler.exec(BasicShellCommandHandler.java:97)
at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:38)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:24743)
at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:950)
at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:834)
at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4818)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:8840)
at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1184)
at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:1143)

any idea what I did wrong?

C:\Platform Tools v33.0.0 For Pixel 6 Pro>adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown permission: android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS.
at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermissionInternal(PermissionManagerService.java:1478)
at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManagerService.java:1436)
at android.permission.PermissionManager.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManager.java:380)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runGrantRevokePermission(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:2384)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:260)
at com.android.modules.utils.BasicShellCommandHandler.exec(BasicShellCommandHandler.java:97)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:24743)
at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4818)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:8840)

not sure that last period is needed, but give that a try...

• Love
Reactions: jcp2

jcp2

@roirraW "edor" ehT any ideas on why this didn't work for me?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
@roirraW "edor" ehT any ideas on why this didn't work for me?
Works for me with Platform Tools v33.0.0, without the period on the end as @cmh714 suggested.

Code:
adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

You could try shortening the path (from "C:\Platform Tools v33.0.0 For Pixel 6 Pro") and leaving no spaces in the path you're running ADB from, although I doubt if either of those is the problem. Out of habit and experience I try to keep those short when running command-line tools, however this is a simple command I don't think it would be affected by those things.

Edit: You're using Command Prompt, correct? Not PowerShell (you can use the commands in PowerShell but you have to have ".\" in front of each command i.e. ".\adb blah blah". I just use Command Prompt. But I don't think what you pasted looks like PowerShell anyway.

1646766650542.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jcp2

jcp2

Works for me with Platform Tools v33.0.0, without the period on the end as @cmh714 suggested.

Code:
adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

You could try shortening the path (from "C:\Platform Tools v33.0.0 For Pixel 6 Pro") and leaving no spaces in the path you're running ADB from, although I doubt if either of those is the problem. Out of habit and experience I try to keep those short when running command-line tools, however this is a simple command I don't think it would be affected by those things.

Edit: You're using Command Prompt, correct? Not PowerShell (you can use the commands in PowerShell but you have to do something like have ".\" in front of each command i.e. ".\adb blah blah". I just use Command Prompt so I never remember if that's the way to use in PowerShell.

View attachment 5555961
Thank You!!! I copied and pasted your response and it worked this time. I didn't have to shorten anything. I don't know why it didn't work the other day. Gremlins?? ;)

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thank You!!! I copied and pasted your response and it worked this time. I didn't have to shorten anything. I don't know why it didn't work the other day. Gremlins?? ;)
You're welcome. The only difference between what I put and what you had in your post was mine didn't have the period on the end.

All credit to @cmh714, as they noticed the period. Maybe you rebooted your computer (and/or phone) between then and now. Whenever something doesn't work as expected for me and I can't figure out any other reason easily, I always suggest a reboot. :)

I don't know what to expect if you still had an old ADB version running in the background when you tried to run the new version. Not sure if that could be the issue.

not sure that last period is needed, but give that a try...

it does nothing without the period on the end :(

Reactions: cmh714

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi. I'd had to uninstall aodnotify because aod was going weird the last few days. The screen doesn't fade off completely as always and aodnotify app drains the battery. I tried holey light and it works better
    No issues with aodNotify here - using on the PIxel 6 Pro on the stable June update.
    No issues with aodNotify here - using on the PIxel 6 Pro on the stable June update.
    Same here. Works as designed no battery drain I can tell. There is a contingent here that's pushing the other app for some reason. I should probably write down my settings for when I get the P7. 😁
    not the case. i paid for this app but it's not working well now. I just came here searching for any fix and i found the other app but i still prefer aodnotify.
    Try resetting it to default. If you're rooted then you'll have to get answers elsewhere. I'm not. Not sure if they had an update lately but you can check that too. As I said I've had no problems through multiple monthlies.
    The application is great.
    It would be great if it worked with the phone upside down.
    I put the phone in this position to turn off the AOD but if it was seen from the side the notification would be perfect.
    For example on Samsung Phones, when you receive a Whatsapp message, both sides light up green. This way you can see the color reflected on the table.

Thank you!!
    Under "General" I have "Only on Notification" selected but the AOD remains on all the time. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.
    I don't have the phone in front of me at the moment, but I have this screenshot handy in Google Photos from times I've shared it in this thread before. You also want the ADB-enabled Power saving mode from the bottom of the General section. To be clear, ADB enables you to enable the option, once you use the ADB command then you can toggle it.
    This app was initially developed for Samsung Galaxy devices with Always on Display. As Pixel devices also have an Always on Display i decided to port the Samsung version to Pixel devices.

You need a notification light / LED for your Pixel 6!
    With aodNotify you can easily add a notification light / LED to your Pixel 6!

You can select different notification light styles and show the notification light around the camera cutout, screen edges or even simulate an notification LED dot in the statusbar of your Pixel 6 or Pixel 5!

As the notification light is integrated in Google's Always On Display it has minimal battery consumption and doesn't drain your battery like other apps which keep your phone awake!

MAIN FEATURES
    • Notification light / LED for Pixel 6, Pixel 5 or Pixel 4a!
    • Low energy notification preview
    • Activate Always On Display (AOD) only on notifications
    • Charging / Low battery light / LED

MORE FEATURES
    • Notification light styles (around camera, screen, LED dot)
    • Custom app / contact colors
    • ECO animations to save battery
    • Interval mode (on/off) to save battery
    • Night times to save battery

BATTERY USAGE PER HOUR ~:
    • LED - 3.0%
    • LED & INTERVAL - 2.0%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION - 1.8%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION & INTERVAL - 1.5%
    • NOTIFICATION PREVIEW - 1.0%
    • ALWAYS ON DISPLAY - 1.0%

Without notification light the app consumes almost 0% battery!

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for the AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot. The values above are approximate values from old Pixel devices.

DOWNLOAD:

DEVICES
    • Pixel 6 / 6 Pro
    • Pixel 5
    • Pixel 4a
    • Pixel ...

NOTES
    • The app is still in beta stage, errors may occur!!
    • Google may block this app with future updates!
    • Please check if the app is compatible before updating phone software!
    • Altough we never experienced any screen burn in issues on our test devices, we recommend to not keep the notification light / LED active for a long time! Use at you own responsibility!

"Google Pixel" is a protected trademark of "Google LLC"
    I found a way to completely disable the AOD when not needed using adb. Coming in next beta. This can save up to 25% battery per day!
    Does that mean that when I have an unread WhatsApp message that creates a green ring around the camera cutout it costs me about 24% battery during 8 hours of sleep?
    Oh, these 3% per hour are only approximate values based on old Pixel devices.

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot.

Additionally there are low energy eco effects, interval mode and sleep times which can drastically reduce battery consumption in aodNotify.

Just give it a try. As soon as i get my Pixel i'll start optimizing even further.
    zoom_ezgifcfjpa.gif
    144261909_500312494280pjnf.jpg

1mtuj24.png
    7m7zk0k.png

The position of the light around the camera cutout may not be accurate in this beta.

Position can be adjusted in Notification light > Size & position > fine tuning section in the app.
    Good news, i was able to get edge lighting around screen edges to work again on andoid 12.

New beta coming soon!