Themes / Apps / Mods aodNotify - Notification Light / LED for Pixel 6 Pro!

Search This thread

jcp2

You're welcome. The only difference between what I put and what you had in your post was mine didn't have the period on the end.

All credit to @cmh714, as they noticed the period. Maybe you rebooted your computer (and/or phone) between then and now. Whenever something doesn't work as expected for me and I can't figure out any other reason easily, I always suggest a reboot. :)
Yeah, I had rebooted my phone and PC this morning. I should have thought of that, when my friends and fam call me and ask why their PC is acting weird, I always ask them "have you rebooted, reboot again :)

• Love
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hello!
How do I set a dark theme in this app?
The only way I can think of is a force dark Magisk Module if you're rooted. It's probably not a high priority to implement in the app since it's designed to be a set it and forget it type of app - at least once you're happy with your settings after playing with everything available. :)

jimwebb

Aug 3, 2015
Forgive me if it's been asked already, but is there a way to have this go off once like say a Samsung device does and then stop and not continue to notify.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Forgive me if it's been asked already, but is there a way to have this go off once like say a Samsung device does and then stop and not continue to notify.

There are several related settings you can change to have it do that. Settings Notification light / "How long to show the light" plus the "Interval mode" below that.
Z2L8HuXt6r43Vruv8cmeZka0sMGltI6jjWGv8jKY_V3WmC5MP4HRC-YptN4I3AD1jOHcEJ3AYNqPaqLwugloMvwJx_alQgvNWOZ99xFkKbJWpEwbBdFc9i1NuZnGGGW3Kf7LkJCZO-QWoCYmundoJTpGxoPJN_zOwLGXKFnpndXLO7cFe2rb_5VXUUk0-qgD2dDlSiKydbgQAOAve4QxSqcMsiraIPfvFr1UIdcgqK455Rs6q4cmBqA-pQesgElNwqHyrNiq7mUi6O7n4qGjnlwx9qyI-IWDWIkJQ-Ov1kXQeBXyskcQv_IfOU8Qr7ic9J-Xc4-KS9af7I8sG6bc75hS2Gg0pVjQyShhzhKFINk79HOsmzaDyXgWSZjVd5b0CyfuddOoctOxCidqmnUvwVMPh1pmHczmDdjPjzHoibuW8zth6h2bHFM9t5ToFFuPApNaWChNYy6xI8J91mOsH0P7Fay5le3Enfjtvfdo0m_Ll-z8oEPGi4RoaL2wEC3bzkRY9vpM3tlHD2yMBaG8VhKJcpiqHPUGUmN2VntE0pwwr_UeU9i-3RWk915T1WcN5onyKFtIk8aQ2jjdXZsRJWepZH0-ODUYfjxQAr4IjjPcy-pxSu-ERr5tgB25_oD7zGTFUf_up9vGiDUJqU5g9vZlq2BKxZdB4OFPco8vzx8YW4eDRcnYy7W9ebuT5elnwboTpXwG6dEEMJyKOGd2WeebaA=w595-h1288-no

And General / "Wake screen" & "Wake screen time" might also be of interest:

jimwebb

Aug 3, 2015
I did purchase a copy of the full version. Not sure if I missed it or if it's been requested, but would like to see the ability to set the notification time to 0 instead of the lowest 5 seconds if the screen is on. If I'm looking at the phone, I don't need the notification light to go off. Yes, I know I can turn it off if the phone is unlocked for example, but I use smart lock so my phone is unlocked at home most of the time, but I still want the notification if I'm not looking at my phone or have the screen on.

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012
Maybe add edge notification light when the screen is off + around the camera hole. Currently, you can do one or the other, not both.

Last edited:

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I did purchase a copy of the full version. Not sure if I missed it or if it's been requested, but would like to see the ability to set the notification time to 0 instead of the lowest 5 seconds if the screen is on. If I'm looking at the phone, I don't need the notification light to go off. Yes, I know I can turn it off if the phone is unlocked for example, but I use smart lock so my phone is unlocked at home most of the time, but I still want the notification if I'm not looking at my phone or have the screen on.
You can disable the light completely in style settings.

Style, when unlocked, disabled

jimwebb

Aug 3, 2015
You can disable the light completely in style settings.

Style, when unlocked, disabled
Right, which is what I said in my post, when unlocked. My phone is unlocked at home all the time. I don't want to disable it when I'm at home or the phone is unlocked. I want to disable it when the screen is on only.

jimwebb

Aug 3, 2015
Not sure if it's an issue with the latest Android version, the Pixel 6 or has been there all along, but lately I noticed that my AOD got really dim with aodNotify running. So dim that I could barely see it. I forced stopped aodNotify as a test to see if it indeed was causing the issue and it seems it is. My AOD is just fine with aodNotify not running. Known issue? Something new? Not sure, but causing my AOD to go that dim is an issue for me personally.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Right, which is what I said in my post, when unlocked. My phone is unlocked at home all the time. I don't want to disable it when I'm at home or the phone is unlocked. I want to disable it when the screen is on only.
I see what you mean, the lowest number is 5 seconds. Have you tried the style LED dot for when the screen is on? Perhaps that's not as obtrusive.

As for your following question, I don't usually have AOD set to on but I did as a test. If I turn off aodNotify under accessibility settings I don't notice any difference in the brightness. How are you testing this and can you perhaps explain to me what you are doing so I can see if it's something I can reproduce? Also since you bought the pro version there is an option to increase AOD brightness although I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012
Not sure if it's an issue with the latest Android version, the Pixel 6 or has been there all along, but lately I noticed that my AOD got really dim with aodNotify running. So dim that I could barely see it. I forced stopped aodNotify as a test to see if it indeed was causing the issue and it seems it is. My AOD is just fine with aodNotify not running. Known issue? Something new? Not sure, but causing my AOD to go that dim is an issue for me personally.
Have you tried Holey Light? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.holeylight

jimwebb

Aug 3, 2015
I see what you mean, the lowest number is 5 seconds. Have you tried the style LED dot for when the screen is on? Perhaps that's not as obtrusive.

As for your following question, I don't usually have AOD set to on but I did as a test. If I turn off aodNotify under accessibility settings I don't notice any difference in the brightness. How are you testing this and can you perhaps explain to me what you are doing so I can see if it's something I can reproduce? Also since you bought the pro version there is an option to increase AOD brightness although I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.
I just noticed in the last few days that my AOD was getting really dim when I'm not using my phone. I never really noticed it before, but perhaps it was happening before. I don't think so though. I simply force stopped and then to be sure uninstalled aodNotify to see if the AOD was still getting dim and it stayed nice and bright so far. Not exactly a long test by any means, but I'm going to continue to watch the rest of the day and see if AOD ever gets so dim again. So far it has not though after about an hour and a half.
Not as of yet. I might give it a shot. I did purchase aodNotify though so...

Reactions: mkhcb

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I just noticed in the last few days that my AOD was getting really dim when I'm not using my phone. I never really noticed it before, but perhaps it was happening before. I don't think so though. I simply force stopped and then to be sure uninstalled aodNotify to see if the AOD was still getting dim and it stayed nice and bright so far. Not exactly a long test by any means, but I'm going to continue to watch the rest of the day and see if AOD ever gets so dim again. So far it has not though after about an hour and a half.

Not as of yet. I might give it a shot. I did purchase aodNotify though so... Pi pi
I would definitely try the open source one.. another test is reinstall it and see if it reoccurs. I didn't notice anything but I only kept it on for a short while.

Reactions: mkhcb and jimwebb

jimwebb

Aug 3, 2015
I should post to be fair to the developer, that since uninstalling the app I have noticed the screen dimming when it really should not be that dim, so I believe it was not aodNotify causing the issue. Don't let my experience hinder your trying the app for yourself. I think it's something the OS is doing.

kronikings

Jul 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hello
Screenshot_20220503-150702_aodNotify.png

So I was trying to find an option to make the colors random or jump from color to color like a rainbow setting every time there's a notification and I noticed this unicolor gimmick setting, anyone know what it's for?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi. I'd had to uninstall aodnotify because aod was going weird the last few days. The screen doesn't fade off completely as always and aodnotify app drains the battery. I tried holey light and it works better
    No issues with aodNotify here - using on the PIxel 6 Pro on the stable June update.
    No issues with aodNotify here - using on the PIxel 6 Pro on the stable June update.
    Same here. Works as designed no battery drain I can tell. There is a contingent here that's pushing the other app for some reason. I should probably write down my settings for when I get the P7. 😁
    not the case. i paid for this app but it's not working well now. I just came here searching for any fix and i found the other app but i still prefer aodnotify.
    Try resetting it to default. If you're rooted then you'll have to get answers elsewhere. I'm not. Not sure if they had an update lately but you can check that too. As I said I've had no problems through multiple monthlies.
    The application is great.
    It would be great if it worked with the phone upside down.
    I put the phone in this position to turn off the AOD but if it was seen from the side the notification would be perfect.
    For example on Samsung Phones, when you receive a Whatsapp message, both sides light up green. This way you can see the color reflected on the table.

Thank you!!
    Under "General" I have "Only on Notification" selected but the AOD remains on all the time. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.
    I don't have the phone in front of me at the moment, but I have this screenshot handy in Google Photos from times I've shared it in this thread before. You also want the ADB-enabled Power saving mode from the bottom of the General section. To be clear, ADB enables you to enable the option, once you use the ADB command then you can toggle it.
    This app was initially developed for Samsung Galaxy devices with Always on Display. As Pixel devices also have an Always on Display i decided to port the Samsung version to Pixel devices.

You need a notification light / LED for your Pixel 6!
    With aodNotify you can easily add a notification light / LED to your Pixel 6!

You can select different notification light styles and show the notification light around the camera cutout, screen edges or even simulate an notification LED dot in the statusbar of your Pixel 6 or Pixel 5!

As the notification light is integrated in Google's Always On Display it has minimal battery consumption and doesn't drain your battery like other apps which keep your phone awake!

MAIN FEATURES
    • Notification light / LED for Pixel 6, Pixel 5 or Pixel 4a!
    • Low energy notification preview
    • Activate Always On Display (AOD) only on notifications
    • Charging / Low battery light / LED

MORE FEATURES
    • Notification light styles (around camera, screen, LED dot)
    • Custom app / contact colors
    • ECO animations to save battery
    • Interval mode (on/off) to save battery
    • Night times to save battery

BATTERY USAGE PER HOUR ~:
    • LED - 3.0%
    • LED & INTERVAL - 2.0%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION - 1.8%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION & INTERVAL - 1.5%
    • NOTIFICATION PREVIEW - 1.0%
    • ALWAYS ON DISPLAY - 1.0%

Without notification light the app consumes almost 0% battery!

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for the AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot. The values above are approximate values from old Pixel devices.

DOWNLOAD:

DEVICES
    • Pixel 6 / 6 Pro
    • Pixel 5
    • Pixel 4a
    • Pixel ...

NOTES
    • The app is still in beta stage, errors may occur!!
    • Google may block this app with future updates!
    • Please check if the app is compatible before updating phone software!
    • Altough we never experienced any screen burn in issues on our test devices, we recommend to not keep the notification light / LED active for a long time! Use at you own responsibility!

"Google Pixel" is a protected trademark of "Google LLC"
    I found a way to completely disable the AOD when not needed using adb. Coming in next beta. This can save up to 25% battery per day!
    Does that mean that when I have an unread WhatsApp message that creates a green ring around the camera cutout it costs me about 24% battery during 8 hours of sleep?
    Oh, these 3% per hour are only approximate values based on old Pixel devices.

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot.

Additionally there are low energy eco effects, interval mode and sleep times which can drastically reduce battery consumption in aodNotify.

Just give it a try. As soon as i get my Pixel i'll start optimizing even further.
    zoom_ezgifcfjpa.gif
    144261909_500312494280pjnf.jpg

1mtuj24.png
    7m7zk0k.png

The position of the light around the camera cutout may not be accurate in this beta.

Position can be adjusted in Notification light > Size & position > fine tuning section in the app.
    Good news, i was able to get edge lighting around screen edges to work again on andoid 12.

New beta coming soon!