• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Themes / Apps / Mods aodNotify - Notification Light / LED for Pixel 6 Pro!

Search This thread

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
Does that mean that when I have an unread WhatsApp message that creates a green ring around the camera cutout it costs me about 24% battery during 8 hours of sleep?
Oh, these 3% per hour are only approximate values based on old Pixel devices.

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot.

Additionally there are low energy eco effects, interval mode and sleep times which can drastically reduce battery consumption in aodNotify.

Just give it a try. As soon as i get my Pixel i'll start optimizing even further.

mko000

Jul 27, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Huawei Nexus 6P
I've always liked this app made for the other devices I've used. I doubt if it'll use even 2/3 of what you mentioned. Personally, I set mine to only notify for up to 5 minutes. Anything beyond 5 minutes, I know to just turn on my screen and see if I've had any new activity because I was most likely going to the bathroom or purposefully taking a nap away from my phone.

You can adjust as you see fit.
Thanks. I'm sure I can find a configure that works for me.

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot.

Additionally there are low energy eco effects, interval mode and sleep times which can drastically reduce battery consumption in aodNotify.

Just give it a try. As soon as i get my Pixel i'll start optimizing even further.
Thanks! I guess we'll have to see. The AOD might be enough, but your apps lights look so awesome!

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
The new beta is online. Positions around camera should be correct now.

You may have to reset the position offsets to 0 after the update.

Any feedback about camera positions is appreciated! Enjoy!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
The new beta is online. Positions around camera should be correct now.

You may have to reset the position offsets to 0 after the update.

Any feedback about camera positions is appreciated! Enjoy!
Awesome, thanks. The position is correct including the problem effects I had mentioned. Custom Night TIme works. I wouldn't mind experimenting with the fingerprint ring when the screen is off, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding the messaging about it moving around correctly - is it to prevent screen burn-in in the smack middle of the screen?

Does the app backs up its data to Google, or will it have a manual export/import option?

Thanks!

Reactions: Jawomo

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks for the awesome app, could not get it working initially, but working great now, I think I had to clear all notifications for a clean slate. Love it, have missed having LED or LED type notification since switching to pixels

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Damn, seems I spoke too soon, notification stopped working on email that was working, and WhatsApp didn't notify even though I have it set. My guess is the phone is entering a deeper sleep state after a time, and causing the app to stop. I already had adaptive battery turned off after noticing some big lag issues, but charging enabled.
Not sure what is going on here exactly, seems to work sometimes and not others, seems that if the screen has been locked for say 5-10 minutes, then the notification does not seem to work.

Last edited:
  • Wow

nycdiplomat

Feb 26, 2010
Maryland
Nexus 9
Google Pixel C
Damn, seems I spoke too soon, notification stopped working on email that was working, and WhatsApp didn't notify even though I have it set. My guess is the phone is entering a deeper sleep state after a time, and causing the app to stop. I already had adaptive battery turned off after noticing some big lag issues, but charging enabled.
Not sure what is going on here exactly, seems to work sometimes and not others, seems that if the screen has been locked for say 5-10 minutes, then the notification does not seem to work.
I am experiencing similar issues with the battery charging one. It works for about 10 mins, can see the light around the camera punch out then all of a sudden it stops. Have the app excluded from battery optimization also

dd66

Jun 30, 2008
Paris
Hi,
I bought the app, liked it very much on my previous s21 ultra.
Despite the fact that I activate the "show only AOD when notification comes", AOD doesn't disappear from the locked screen.
Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
Will do some testing now, just received my Pixel 6.

Is the position of the light around camera correct by default? or is any offset x/y adjustment needed?

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014

I am experiencing similar issues with the battery charging one. It works for about 10 mins, can see the light around the camera punch out then all of a sudden it stops. Have the app excluded from battery optimization also
You can set a desired display duration for the light as you like

Notification light > display duration

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
You can set a desired display duration for the light as you like

Notification light > display duration
Yeah I did that already thanks, app seems to be working fine at the moment. Love the app, I used one some time back which also allowed you to set alert colours for phone calls and messages from contacts. So could see at a glance if certain people were trying to ring or message me or missed a call from them.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Yeah I did that already thanks, app seems to be working fine at the moment. Love the app, I used one some time back which also allowed you to set alert colours for phone calls and messages from contacts. So could see at a glance if certain people were trying to ring or message me or missed a call from them.

Third item down in the Colors menu, Contact Colors.

Screenshot_20211029-194810.png

Reactions: Jawomo

Top Liked Posts

@Jawomo are you planning on updating the sideactions app for Android 12, several poeple have reported issues for weeks on Playstore and XDA since the app is not working on Android 12, but you haven't responded to anyone.
    its on my list already, hopefully i find some time next week.
    Yes I have that option turned off but it seems it only works partially
    The app is still in Beta, I believe. I may have noticed some anomalous behavior with the latest Beta, v1.14, as well. Hopefully, the trouble will be cleared up.
    I found a way to completely disable the AOD when not needed using adb. Coming in next beta. This can save up to 25% battery per day!
    Good news, i was able to get edge lighting around screen edges to work again on andoid 12.

New beta coming soon!
    Rollout of aodNotify 1.08 beta has started!

Added some experimental adb mods to change aod brightness and reduce battery consumption!

• Brightness mod
    • Powersaving mod
    • Preview optimizations
    • Interval bug fixed
    • Translations updated
    • Fixes & optimizations
    Seems not related to the app

From Google search:

This usually happens for one of two reasons:
    • The payment information registered to your Google account is invalid and causing problems.
    • The application data of the Google Play Store is corrupted
    Managing your payment information
    Verify if your payment methods are still up-to-date in Google payments center and in the account section of the Google Play Store. Note that they should match the personal information of your Google account.
    Clearing the Google Play Store cache
    • Open the Settings app.
    • Click on Apps.
    • Select Google Play Store from the list.
    • Click the Force stop button and confirm. The application is now forcefully closed.
    • Still in the same window, click on Storage.
    • Click the Clear cache button.
    • Now reboot your phone and try again to see if the problem went away.
    Maybe it helps.
    I believe I have... What is the most eco setting?

As for AOD it's set so that it's off and only show the notification pulse :
    FYI that setting doesn't mean the AOD is 'off', it means the regular AOD elements like the clock etc are constantly hidden behind another layer.

The AOD can by design never be 'off' while using this app. So the app is constantly drawing elements on top of the AOD elements to hide them which in turn shows up as additional 'wake time'.

At least that's how I understand the app is working.
    This app was initially developed for Samsung Galaxy devices with Always on Display. As Pixel devices also have an Always on Display i decided to port the Samsung version to Pixel devices.

You need a notification light / LED for your Pixel 6!
    With aodNotify you can easily add a notification light / LED to your Pixel 6!

You can select different notification light styles and show the notification light around the camera cutout, screen edges or even simulate an notification LED dot in the statusbar of your Pixel 6 or Pixel 5!

As the notification light is integrated in Google's Always On Display it has minimal battery consumption and doesn't drain your battery like other apps which keep your phone awake!

MAIN FEATURES
    • Notification light / LED for Pixel 6, Pixel 5 or Pixel 4a!
    • Low energy notification preview
    • Activate Always On Display (AOD) only on notifications
    • Charging / Low battery light / LED

MORE FEATURES
    • Notification light styles (around camera, screen, LED dot)
    • Custom app / contact colors
    • ECO animations to save battery
    • Interval mode (on/off) to save battery
    • Night times to save battery

BATTERY USAGE PER HOUR ~:
    • LED - 3.0%
    • LED & INTERVAL - 2.0%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION - 1.8%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION & INTERVAL - 1.5%
    • NOTIFICATION PREVIEW - 1.0%
    • ALWAYS ON DISPLAY - 1.0%

Without notification light the app consumes almost 0% battery!

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for the AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot. The values above are approximate values from old Pixel devices.

DOWNLOAD:

DEVICES
    • Pixel 6 / 6 Pro
    • Pixel 5
    • Pixel 4a
    • Pixel ...

NOTES
    • The app is still in beta stage, errors may occur!!
    • Google may block this app with future updates!
    • Please check if the app is compatible before updating phone software!
    • Altough we never experienced any screen burn in issues on our test devices, we recommend to not keep the notification light / LED active for a long time! Use at you own responsibility!

"Google Pixel" is a protected trademark of "Google LLC"
    I found a way to completely disable the AOD when not needed using adb. Coming in next beta. This can save up to 25% battery per day!
    Does that mean that when I have an unread WhatsApp message that creates a green ring around the camera cutout it costs me about 24% battery during 8 hours of sleep?

Rollout of aodNotify 1.08 beta has started!

Added some experimental adb mods to change aod brightness and reduce battery consumption!

• Brightness mod
    • Powersaving mod
    • Preview optimizations
    • Interval bug fixed
    • Translations updated
    • Fixes & optimizations
    Good news, i was able to get edge lighting around screen edges to work again on andoid 12.

New beta coming soon!