• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Themes / Apps / Mods aodNotify - Notification Light / LED for Pixel 6 Pro!

Search This thread

DonKaio

Nov 3, 2012
Hi, really like the app. Good work!
But I cannot get it working consistantly.... Also I cannot set up your App as I'd like to.
My ideal setting would be, that only the notification ring and the app Symbol are shown. No time or anything from the standard pixel AOD. Is that even possible?
When I know, why it's not working sometimes and whether its possible to configure the app for my purpose , I'm definitly going to buy it!
Cheers from Germany!

DonKaio

Nov 3, 2012
Hi, really like the app. Good work!
But I cannot get it working consistantly.... Also I cannot set up your App as I'd like to.
My ideal setting would be, that only the notification ring and the app Symbol are shown. No time or anything from the standard pixel AOD. Is that even possible?
When I know, why it's not working sometimes and whether its possible to configure the app for my purpose , I'm definitly going to buy it!
Cheers from Germany!
Ok...I got so far, that when the screen is locked and I receive a notification, things are happening in this order:
1. phone vibrates
2. 1s later: Camera ring appears
3. 1s later: App Icon apears in the area under the fingerprint scanner
4. 1s later: AOD turns on, shows time, date, wheather is shown. The app icon is now underneath the wheather Info. Also the Fingerprint indication is shown, as well as battery percentage at the bottom of the screen.

The Camera ring is visible the whole time.

I have also another question: The Play Button on the top right of the app is for testing purposes? It's not working for me, as the notification starts right away. Maybe the Play button should activate a Screen lock and a notification like 200ms later?

Thanks so far

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Won't work (AOD stays anyway), as said before :(
Very strange, I think it's behaving correctly for me. I never see AOD stuff at all except for the aodNotifiy-specific stuff.

Ok...I got so far, that when the screen is locked and I receive a notification, things are happening in this order:
1. phone vibrates
2. 1s later: Camera ring appears
3. 1s later: App Icon apears in the area under the fingerprint scanner
4. 1s later: AOD turns on, shows time, date, wheather is shown. The app icon is now underneath the wheather Info. Also the Fingerprint indication is shown, as well as battery percentage at the bottom of the screen.

The Camera ring is visible the whole time.

I have also another question: The Play Button on the top right of the app is for testing purposes? It's not working for me, as the notification starts right away. Maybe the Play button should activate a Screen lock and a notification like 200ms later?

Thanks so far
Do you have aodNotify set up this way I show in this earlier post of mine, to minimize the amount of AOD?

I agree about the Play button that it's a little confusing as to the usefulness of its purpose, especially since I chose for aodNotify to not display anything when my screen is on. I think I tested just turning off the screen after I hit the Play button and then it's a proper test...if I remember correctly. aodNotifiy might need further permissions (if it doesn't already request the required permission) to lock the phone. It also might be a bit jarring or even annoying for users to hit the Play button and have their screen suddenly locked/turn off, so perhaps the way it does it already is useful enough as is.

dd66

Jun 30, 2008
Paris
Accessibility option was the trick! As it's not mentioned in the initial setup, I forgot it, and now everything is fine, thanks OP!

Edit : set it up on each reboot ;)

Last edited:

brewsbro

Nov 16, 2008
This app rocks, thanks. Do we need to purchase again? Bought and used pro on my old note 10+, and now on Pixel 6 Pro theres seems to be no Pro app.

Reactions: danw_oz

robbieast

Sep 22, 2012
Does this have edge lighting around the whole screen??

Also what does pressing the play button do? I just get a notification I can dismiss

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
This app rocks, thanks. Do we need to purchase again? Bought and used pro on my old note 10+, and now on Pixel 6 Pro theres seems to be no Pro app.
Unfortunately yes, its a different app under the hood. I highly optimize the app for different manufacturers and all use different aod implementations. So I have to buy Pixel phones for testing and spend weeks in development again.

But its a lifetime purchase, so when you switch back to Samsung sometime youre still Pro

Does this have edge lighting around the whole screen??

Also what does pressing the play button do? I just get a notification I can dismiss
Edge lighting is currently disabled in android 12. Theres a bug in android causing this. Searching for a workaround.

The play Button just posts a test notification, to test the setup.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

limingg

Jul 27, 2010
Nice app! I love it!

My Pixel 6 pro login with my two google account. I used the one account to purchase the aodNotify app, but the aodNotify shows I'm not pro. If I removed the another one google account from my pixel, aodNotify app shows I have purchased. Could you help me to check it? thanks

brewsbro

Nov 16, 2008
Unfortunately yes, its a different app under the hood. I highly optimize the app for different manufacturers and all use different aod implementations. So I have to buy Pixel phones for testing and spend weeks in development again.

But its a lifetime purchase, so when you switch back to Samsung sometime youre still Pro
No problem at all. thx

Reactions: Jawomo

Jawomo

Mar 5, 2014
Nice app! I love it!

My Pixel 6 pro login with my two google account. I used the one account to purchase the aodNotify app, but the aodNotify shows I'm not pro. If I removed the another one google account from my pixel, aodNotify app shows I have purchased. Could you help me to check it? thanks
i dont know why this happens, but googles purchase api doesnt like multiple google active accounts afaik. I recommend contacting google for this as they take care over the whole payment process. Maybe they have a tip

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Nice app! I love it!

After the fact, I don't know if there's much you can do about it.

It's possible that the first account you enter is defaulted to for in-app purchases. For purchases through the Play Store, you need to click your profile photo in the upper right corner of the Play Store app, then click the arrow beside your current account that's selected ^ to drop down where it will display your alternate account(s) that you can switch to. I have my information erased in the screenshot below.

I have both my personal and work Google accounts on my personal phone.

I'm speculating, but maybe if you change here which account you're signed into the Play Store with, that in-app purchases will respect this setting. As said, after you've already done so, though, I don't know if there's anything you can do about it.

1635876476099.png

limingg

Jul 27, 2010
i dont know why this happens, but googles purchase api doesnt like multiple google active accounts afaik. I recommend contacting google for this as they take care over the whole payment process. Maybe they have a tip
I figured out the situation. I triggered my pixel to download the aodNotify app from my mac web browser and it logined with A account(US region). My pixel has logined with A(US region) and B(TW region).
I used B account to purchase aodNotify Pro in-app. Follow the google policy, if I downloaded aodNotify first time by A, I need to use A to purchase in-app.

I contact google to refund my first purchase and use A account to purchase again. Now, everything is fine.

This app is awesome, keep going!

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have two google accounts as well, one for phone the other an older legacy email address. You need to ensure that the first account you log onto with the phone is the account you intend to use for purchases etc, otherwise you will need to switch them each time or at least verify which account came up when you go into playstore.
I always add the other account after setup, by going in and selecting add another google account.
I have one application I purchased many years ago when google did not handle this on my legacy account.
I also setup a very different icon for each account so its also obvious when I open playstore which account it is.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Elpy

Mar 30, 2008
Hi there,

Thanks for this, always appreciate additional customization =)

Just a quick "bug" (not critical by the way), when you select "Hide AOD" in "General" Settings (not sure about the English wording, I'm in French on my device), it kind of break the lock screen animation. I mean, when you activate AOD on android 12, and lock the screen, there is this nice animation that makes the screen disappear in the lock button. And with aodNotify, it just goes straight to a black screen.

Not a big deal again, but you know... I'm kind of soft... I like pretty animations ^^

Thanks again for this app!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    some minor adjustments may be needed, please see notification light settings > position and size
    I tweaked thickness +1. moving position just nudged the the slight difference to the other side.

but thanks anyway. good app
    Is there a thread or group for AODNotify to ask questions so I don't go OT here? I just installed it and I like it so far. Obviously I'll have to pay for it once I decide to keep it but the adb commands you speak of, is there a way to turn them off if you decide to? And when you say AOD minimal on screen, what do you mean? Ok so I went OT for a bit.

Replying to your post in the other thread where you asked. By minimal - I never remember off the top of my head what it's called in the app, but looking at the app now. It's in the app's General section, at the top there's "Always on Display operation mode". There are three choices. The default is probably "Show always", which would cause regular AOD to operate as normal, except for the additional stuff on the screen generated by AODNotify, depending on how you have it set. The other two options for it are "Only on notification" and "Don't show". I have it set to "Don't show". You can see the description of the option in the app.

At the bottom of the General section, in the section "ADB mods (experimental)", I used the ADB command (copied to the clipboard when you click on the grayed-out options), and then I enable "Power saving mode", and you can see that description there too.

The ADB command only enables these options to get toggled, it doesn't do anything else. Run the ADB command and then I think you can toggle these options at will, but I haven't bothered disabling the "Power saving mode" after I enabled it, and I haven't used the other option to increase it's brightness.

Besides this thread, in the app's Help menu, there's a link to Support on Facebook. I haven't joined the group on Facebook...yet.
    After you copy the adb command to the clipboard how do you enter it on your computer?

So the AOD must be on in lockscreen settings but you can turn it off in this app I presume. I guess I have to start reading this thread since most of my questions will have been asked. I'll circle back later. I did purchase it so all cards are on the table. lol

adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

adb shell pm revoke com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    Would this be the command to remove it?

@Jawomo Does this app interfere with photo album display on the Pixel stand?
    After you copy the adb command to the clipboard how do you enter it on your computer?

I paste the command to an email to myself and then make a "permanent" record of the ADB command where I keep my Android stuff on my computer. Probably most of the emails I send from my personal account are to myself. LOL!

So the AOD must be on in lockscreen settings but you can turn it off in this app I presume.
    Yes.

I guess I have to start reading this thread since most of my questions will have been asked. I'll circle back later. I did purchase it so all cards are on the table. lol
    :D

adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

adb shell pm revoke com.jamworks.aodnotificationledlight android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    Would this be the command to remove it?
    I don't know, I've never revoked permissions when I gave them to an app through ADB.

Are you concerned with revoking the right for AODNotify to write secure settings? I mean, do you plan on enabling it through ADB, then toggling the toggle in the app, and then revoking the permission?

Or do you plan only on revoking the permission if you don't like how it works?
    For some reason my aod is turning off after maybe 2 seconds and I get a black screen until I push the power button. I deleted all data from the apk and it persists so I assume something is causing this outside of the apk? I recently flashed Kiri kernel. Not sure if that kernel maybe has a battery savings tweak of disabling the aod after a few seconds?

Edit:. Fixed it. I had enabled a setting in a battery management app I have.
    This app was initially developed for Samsung Galaxy devices with Always on Display. As Pixel devices also have an Always on Display i decided to port the Samsung version to Pixel devices.

You need a notification light / LED for your Pixel 6!
    With aodNotify you can easily add a notification light / LED to your Pixel 6!

You can select different notification light styles and show the notification light around the camera cutout, screen edges or even simulate an notification LED dot in the statusbar of your Pixel 6 or Pixel 5!

As the notification light is integrated in Google's Always On Display it has minimal battery consumption and doesn't drain your battery like other apps which keep your phone awake!

MAIN FEATURES
    • Notification light / LED for Pixel 6, Pixel 5 or Pixel 4a!
    • Low energy notification preview
    • Activate Always On Display (AOD) only on notifications
    • Charging / Low battery light / LED

MORE FEATURES
    • Notification light styles (around camera, screen, LED dot)
    • Custom app / contact colors
    • ECO animations to save battery
    • Interval mode (on/off) to save battery
    • Night times to save battery

BATTERY USAGE PER HOUR ~:
    • LED - 3.0%
    • LED & INTERVAL - 2.0%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION - 1.8%
    • LED & ECO ANIMATION & INTERVAL - 1.5%
    • NOTIFICATION PREVIEW - 1.0%
    • ALWAYS ON DISPLAY - 1.0%

Without notification light the app consumes almost 0% battery!

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for the AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot. The values above are approximate values from old Pixel devices.

DOWNLOAD:

DEVICES
    • Pixel 6 / 6 Pro
    • Pixel 5
    • Pixel 4a
    • Pixel ...

NOTES
    • The app is still in beta stage, errors may occur!!
    • Google may block this app with future updates!
    • Please check if the app is compatible before updating phone software!
    • Altough we never experienced any screen burn in issues on our test devices, we recommend to not keep the notification light / LED active for a long time! Use at you own responsibility!

"Google Pixel" is a protected trademark of "Google LLC"
    I found a way to completely disable the AOD when not needed using adb. Coming in next beta. This can save up to 25% battery per day!
    Does that mean that when I have an unread WhatsApp message that creates a green ring around the camera cutout it costs me about 24% battery during 8 hours of sleep?
    Oh, these 3% per hour are only approximate values based on old Pixel devices.

The Pixel 6's Tensor chip has a context hub, which is a ultra low power context engine especially made for AOD and other background tasks, wich should reduce power consumption a lot.

Additionally there are low energy eco effects, interval mode and sleep times which can drastically reduce battery consumption in aodNotify.

Just give it a try. As soon as i get my Pixel i'll start optimizing even further.
    zoom_ezgifcfjpa.gif
    144261909_500312494280pjnf.jpg

1mtuj24.png
    7m7zk0k.png

The position of the light around the camera cutout may not be accurate in this beta.

Position can be adjusted in Notification light > Size & position > fine tuning section in the app.
    Good news, i was able to get edge lighting around screen edges to work again on andoid 12.

New beta coming soon!