[AOSP 10.0] [2019-12-06] Quack Phh-Treble

Search This thread

phhusson

Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2009
Paris
I wish to ask. @phhusson

How to flash gsi in curtana (Redmi Note 9S)?

The fastboot & LRTWRP did not saw "System" partition in this device.:confused:

You need to use stock recovery's fastboot. Flash back stock recovery.
To trigger stock recovery's fastboot you can:
- From Android, do adb reboot fastboot (NOT adb reboot bootloader)
- From recovery, select "Go to fastboot mode" (NOT reboot to bootloader)
- From bootloader, do `fastboot reboot fastboot` (no this isn't a joke)

Please note that you'll need a recent fastboot targetted for Android 10.
Of course you also need to flash vbmeta, this one can be done from bootloader.

VZTech

Dec 31, 2019
I'm not sure if this is the question, but this isn't a repack of Google's GSI. This is built from AOSP source code.

Yes, that was my question. Thanks. Reason i asked is googles gsi work very well on my Red magic 5g, but are missing alot of features. Yours has some issues with my device like brightness times out after 5 secs, and pic message mms reboots the phone.
EDIT, v2.17 build brightness is fixed.

Last edited:

Max128

Apr 16, 2011
Canada
Hello , i have the HTC u12+ a device with A/B slot.. I always installed my things on slot a. I have tried for the first time the treble rom aosp Phh-based roms.. I had installed it the 11 may.. working pretty fine except for a few bugs.. No problem with the charge at all. The 19 may i wanted to install the recovery permanent way for the first time so.. i flash twrp with recovery ramdisk on it and after i flash touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip after that for keeping the stock kernel here the description of the patch ( Flashing touchscreen_hexpatcher.zip will make touch work when using stock kernel but render all recovery related commands unusable. )

After that.. the recovery was working.. but a few hours later when i wanted to charge the device.. i have a new and weirld bug, the charge problem. So When i put the phone in charge , this happen every few seconds ---> slow charging ---> charging ----> fast charging ---> slow charging --- > etc.... no more stable charge.. before that i connected the charger and 2-3 seconds after that is stay at quick charge like stock rom.. I have trying so many things after that.. reinstall the rom many times, format wipe , custom kernel, apply the RUU again for restoring completely at stock.When i install again a gsi rom i having the same problem of charge. If i power off the phone with gsi installed and when i charge it is look fine. When i restore at stock rom ( Android Pie rom ruu from HTC) the charge is fine only gsi rom is missing up the charge. Someone tell me the stock rom and aosp rom is not charging a phone in the same way is why.. The story of recovery, I was told that it was not probably related but for me it is too big for a coincidence.

Since that i have put many hours on this.. I am really at short ideas for gsi rom.. I am really tired so i have restored the stock rom and i will keep it for now.. So now i am writing here for maybe to getting some help and getting a fix for this.. I am sure that i am not the only one getting some problem with the charge on a gsi rom.. probably not for the same reason, however. May not be reported either .. I have found on xda some thread with some patchs ( thermal files) for fixing the charge on aosp rom.. But is only some particularly phone so.. I have found some people having problem with the charge on Android 10 through. I have made a little video of the problem before i was go to stock yesterday. Yes i have trying other cable usb and wall outlet. HERE THE VIDEO

Last edited:

sarajevski qdroid

May 26, 2020
Hello and thank you for your sharing this project in the first place!

However, im having some issues with my phone on your rom, there´s no wifi nor mobile data; no internet connection at all..
But i do have bluetooth and cell reception, so the RIL seems to be working to some extent..

The odd thing is that there was no initial setup ether, no full-screen app asking for wifi password or google account..
Same on mi Oukitel C11 Pro

KACE321

Jul 12, 2012
Hi, I appreciate all your hard work on creating a more compatible GSI for android 10.

But I don't understand why despite what google has done, android GSI still has hardware faults/bugs on many treble-supported phones?
Is the \vendor partition not truly a separation of the Android framework from the drivers?

tchmit

May 26, 2020
Hi, Everything works perfectly, in Blackview BV5800pro, except for deep sleep, I have a 5600mA battery and it lasts 5 hours, all four cores work at maximum most of the time, this happens to me in AOSP 10 and Lineage 17.1,
In AOSP 9 and Lineage 16, deep sleep works perfectly and the battery lasts 4 days

sarajevski qdroid

May 26, 2020
Do you know will there be update with that vendor update because i don’t think i can run those codes. I’m not developer. I know only to flash with TWRP and Fastboot.
* I also tried flashing patches.zip on twrp but it gave invalid zip error

Last edited:

phhusson

Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2009
Paris
Hi, Everything works perfectly, in Blackview BV5800pro, except for deep sleep, I have a 5600mA battery and it lasts 5 hours, all four cores work at maximum most of the time, this happens to me in AOSP 10 and Lineage 17.1,
In AOSP 9 and Lineage 16, deep sleep works perfectly and the battery lasts 4 days

Usual recommendation is to run `top` on the device to see what eats the cpu.

Hi, I appreciate all your hard work on creating a more compatible GSI for android 10.

But I don't understand why despite what google has done, android GSI still has hardware faults/bugs on many treble-supported phones?
Is the \vendor partition not truly a separation of the Android framework from the drivers?
It's impossible to make a perfect driver/OS separation. Look at Windows, drivers still randomly break, and they've worked on this compatibility for decades now.
Android is using technologies that didn't exist back then, so we got something that worked pretty fast, but yeah it won't ever be perfect.
Also, Microsoft does a lot of testing on OEM devices to ensure Windows doesn't break for those OEM devices, while Google does no such thing (yet?), and I believe that without testing, there is no way it works.
Anyway, that's with a ****load of testing that I manage to do my GSI.

franco619

Nov 26, 2015
for some reason sometimes a black screen appears with white stripes and I have to restart. My device is a motorola moto e6 plus

Last edited:

LeonardoGC

Oct 28, 2017
Lima
Redmi Note 10S
Edit: Reboots happen from a sleeping state, not really from the lock screen. LineageOS 17.1 behaves the same way. Could it be due to undervoltage too low from custom kernel (prashantp's quantum v4)? So far, only CAOS from eremitein looks stable and got no *random reboot*. I wonder what was done, as it uses your GSI as a base. I'll push the tests further this weekend, I still have many GSI's to try and my logcat skills to improve.

Hi icebergREAL,

I have the same problem: reboot happens on the sleeping state, usually on the early morning hours.

I am using AOSP 10.0 v216 (system-quack-arm64-ab-gapps.img) with a Samsung Galaxy A20 (SM-A205G).

I generated two logcat files in order to identify the problem:

logcat.txt with the following ADB command:
Code:
adb logcat -d > logcat.txt

events.txt with the following ADB command:
Code:
adb logcat -d -b events > events.txt

Questions:
  • Did you create an issue for this problem (reboots in the sleeping state)? (Github issues) If the answer is No I will a create an issue.
  • What results did you get from your tests?
  • What was the result with other GSIs?
  • How can I improve my logcat skills too?
  • What should I search in the logcat files generated?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

LeonardoGC

Oct 28, 2017
Lima
Redmi Note 10S
No just flash the system image, and your data will be kept.

Hi phhusson,

From your previous answer I understand that in order to update an AOSP 10.0 installation one only needs to flash the system image. Question: In this scenario (update AOSP installation), is it necessary, before flashing the image, to wipe the system image in the recovery (TWRP)? I suspect that it's not necessary but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TomRon

Apr 2, 2014
boot loop Blackview BV9800 (Treble GSI supported)

Hello,

unfortunately I ran always into bootloops.
Device:
Blackview BV9800 (Mediatek MT6771V/CT)
ARM64
A-Only
Treble supported

Additional Info:
Stock ROM available (Android 9) Kernel-Version: 4.4.146
bootloader unlocked (device in orange state)

1. Variant: Things done to the Device without TWRP:
Stock ROM reflashed (SP Flashtool)
tried to flash system-quack-arm64-aonly-go.img (AOSP 10.0 v217) via SP flashtool --> flash passed but after reboot I ran into a boot loop
after flashing only the Stock system.img to the system partition phone boots up normally

2. Variant: Things done to the Device with TWRP:
Stock ROM reflashed (SP Flashtool)
Boot image pached with MagiskManager v7.5.1.apk and flashed with SP Flashtool
TWRP flashed with SP Flashtool
--> phone still booting into Stock OS
wiped Dalvik, System and Cache via TWRP
tried to install system-quack-arm64-aonly-go.img (AOSP 10.0 v217) via TWRP --> failed
Code:
E: Cannot flash images to file System
tried to flash system-quack-arm64-aonly-go.img via SP flashtoll --> flash passed but after reboot I ran into a boot loop
after flashing only the Stock system.img to the system partition phone boots up normally

I also tried the same procedure with Lineage 17.1 with same results...

Does anyone sees the issue?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Here is the thread about Phh-Treble for Android 10.0, codename Quack.

The goal of Phh-Treble for Android 10.0 is the same as for Android 8.0, 8.1, and 9.0: Bring latest AOSP to the maximum number of devices running Google-certified Treble[1], with full hardware support.

You can download latest release at https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases

Which variant do I pick
    To know which variant to download, use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.hack5.treblecheck . Don't use other Treble Check apps, they'll give erronous informations.
    And then, you're free to choose between vanilla and gapps variant.

What works?
    On some devices, everything. They are still not the majority though.

What you can expect on the majority of devices?
    It should boot successfully on pretty much all devices with Google-certified Treble. [1]
    Most features should work on the majority of devices out-of-the-box: RIL, WiFi, brightness control, buttons, gestures, ...
    However, many devices still have issues with hardware video decoding and camera.

Is device XXX supported?
    If it's a Google-certified Treble, yes it is. Unlike Google's GSI, Treble devices supported, there is no exception.
    There might be bugs of course, but if you help me, I'll fix them!

Which vendor to use?
    1. Always use your actual device's vendor
    2. Always use OEM unmodified vendor, not some custom vendor
    3. This includes boot.img. boot.img and vendor MUST BE the same version.
    4. If you're on an Android 8.0 vendor, you'll need to stick to vendors with Security Patch Level before April 2019 (that's a bug of my GSI)

Enjoy!

[1] How do I know my device is Google-certified Treble?
    Well it's easy, if your device has first been released with Oreo or more recent, and it has google apps, it has a Google-certified Treble.
    Please note that this means only the vendor provided by the OEM is certified, not the one from device-specific ROM.
    do you plan on doing it?
    Yes, though I've been planning it for more than a year.
    Just flashed v211. What is this green dot on the lockscreen for? If I push it the screen dims and the green dot becomes brighter.
    Right, that's a fail from me, that will be fixed in next release.
    That's intended for devices with optical under-display fingerprint.
    I'm respinning a v212 to fix that.
    Well not working on V40 with LOS 17 android 10 base... haven't tried with Stock LG Pie base tho....
    Use stock vendor. It is very likely lineage breaks Treble compatibility.

works fine on sony xperia 10 dual sim + android 10 software binaries
    Thanks for the report.
    Could you update https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/ and create a page for your device mentioning your tests?

- adaptive brightness doesnt work, i can change brightness....but the automatic change isnt there....someone get what i mean?
    - battery stats....there is no app data....only the graph
    Those are fairly easy to fix, you just need an overlay, based on infos from stock rom.
    There is a guide there https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/How-to-create-an-overlay? or a quite automatic script there: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/blob/master/overlay/generate.sh though I recommend you join @PHHtreble telegram group so I can help you create it.

ps i would love to continue seeing AOSP+su-nogapps :fingers-crossed:
    I definitely don't plan on obsoleting it. Though i'm interested, may I ask why you're using this one?

ps.: changelog said october security update? in options still september written?
    Yup my bad, that's indeed still september.
    Hopefully next should be proper november.

Its working perfectly. but it would be awesome if the fix was built in
    Well the zip itself is closed-source, I can't integrate it without its sources