• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

AOSP Google Dialer and People apps

Search This thread

donjamal

Jan 25, 2010
Hi Everyone,

if anyone is interested, you can get both aosp google dialer and people app to work on the G3. Here's how:

1. Download the zip
2. extract the files to your phone (sd card)
3. with a root explorer, copy them over to system/
4. set proper permissions (644) on both files
5. copy these files over to system/priv-app/ from system/
6. rename LGContacts.apk to LGContacts.apk.bak (or change the extension of the file to anything)

Blacked out dialer and contacts app - thanks for the findings, @Kameirus

The blacked out Google dialer is made by Thyrus here at XDA
And not sure who did the blacked out contacts/people apk..I found it in one of my phone modding folders

Install instructions are the same as above.

92a7fababb868b00fb9794faa4158982.jpg

07e2f02c484263b6c8012a1e4745a689.jpg

1296801b13f656b4dc8e13bf6cf913bb.jpg

This is not a flashable zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvuhmj01g9u1uod/black google dialer and contacts.zip?dl=0

gdialer_and_contacts.zip is the original one below:

Attachments

• gdialer_and_contacts.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 9,535
Last edited:

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
Wow thanks! I'll be curious to see if this works flawlessly for others before I try it myself. Those are the last two apps I need to change to get back to the AOSP feel, aside from "Settings" of course.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

donjamal

Jan 25, 2010
Did you guys use the files I provided? Did you rename it? The LGcontacts app to have different extension? It's important because it has the same package name as Google contacts and therefore Google 's contacts app won't show up.

uploadfromtaptalk1406353323576.jpg

Last edited:

donjamal

Jan 25, 2010
for those who dont know..u need to create a shortcut activity for googlephone by using a launcher like nova..apex..etc
Well, thanks but I didn't need that and checked on stock launcher and they do show up both... Is it possible that it's due to different system languages? U can also try to rename the extension of the LG phone up (dialer), see if that works.

SeptimiuB

Feb 3, 2011
London
would not advise to rename lg phone app, as I did and got into an endless "com.android.phone" process stop. contacts app works though but phone app does not show on stock launcher.

The Kid Cassidy

Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
Just install the google dialer with proper permissions and then hide the LG phone app in your drawer. Did this a week ago cause I missed my dialer from running PA on my G2. Also OP is that the 4.4.4 dialer? Cause android police had the older dialer up when I downloaded it. Had to rip the one outta the PA G2 rom I ran on my G2.

Also I am using nova launcher an do not have to create a shortcut. Just put the icon on my home screen and it opens up just fine.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

GroovyGeek

Oct 11, 2010
So does this work? I got the Google dialer installed a few weeks ago but frankly hated it, could never get it to do what I wanted. Long press a contact to edit? No go. Plus all it did was launch the LG dialer in the end. If this fully replaces the LG dialer I Amy give it another try.

farrellm

May 29, 2011
Phone shortcut didn't appear in the drawer for me, but I was able to add it to the stock launcher with "Activity Launcher" from the play store.

In the app, All activities -> Google dialer -> Phone (DialtactsActivity)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: abteer

SeptimiuB

Feb 3, 2011
London
Any chance you got out of the infinite bootloop without having to flash the stock ROM? If you did let me know how. Thanks!

Yes, and it was a nightmare, took about 20 min. Reboot phone, and with one hand keep hiring the Ok button of the error message and with the other hand try navigating the menus one by one. Go to system /priv-app/.
Find LG phone app, lgteleservice or something like that, click it, install it, then I used room toolbox pro to convert it to user app and set permissions 644. Reboot and got out of loop. And then quickly renamed back the apk.
All the best and good luck.

Reactions: abteer

vxclubby85

Nov 25, 2009
This worked for me! All works good!!! I had some activities widget already on my F400s and it let me add the dialer.

Looks same as my Nexus 5 now! :) And finally got rid of the Korean on the stock dialer.

Happy! Thanks to the OP!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everyone,

if anyone is interested, you can get both aosp google dialer and people app to work on the G3. Here's how:

1. Download the zip
    2. extract the files to your phone (sd card)
    3. with a root explorer, copy them over to system/
    4. set proper permissions (644) on both files
    5. copy these files over to system/priv-app/ from system/
    6. rename LGContacts.apk to LGContacts.apk.bak (or change the extension of the file to anything)

Blacked out dialer and contacts app - thanks for the findings, @Kameirus

And not sure who did the blacked out contacts/people apk..I found it in one of my phone modding folders

Install instructions are the same as above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvuhmj01g9u1uod/black google dialer and contacts.zip?dl=0

gdialer_and_contacts.zip is the original one below:
    These are done by djdarknight of the team black out crew

MMS-4.4.2-CM11 the both work on my d850
    here is the blacked out and clear mms apks

this is not a flashable zip
    go into system/privapp and back up the lgmessage apk and the lgmessage odex files then delete them

then copy one or the other mms apks into system/privapp
    set permissions to 644
    reboot and look for messaging in the app drawer
    OK here they are

Install instructions are the same as in the op

sent from my LG G3 D850
    On Nova, followed instructions, rebooted, and I have Contacts now in App Drawer but not Phone.

I followed advice of others in this thread and created a shortcut using Nova for the Phone. Works fine; guessing the LG call screen is normal?

(I started using Nova today and have no idea why I didn't do this sooner.)

yeah, LG's in-call screen is normal. that's a 3rd apk, that i was not able to replace, it foreclosed as soon as a call arrived or you started a call.
    Uploading the Xperia stuff to box. All credits to the original developers. For home, I used the standalone app and the got the weather widget from the zip. Note: home occasionally fc's when I rotate the phone to landscape.

Link: https://app.box.com/s/pygevdyisjtixeub790x

Upload is done in about 10-15 minutes.

Ps: I installed everything manually, there was no recovery when I installed them. They may not work with recovery, I never tried to flash them.