• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question AOSP vs MIUI based ROMs

Search This thread

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
Is it straightforward to install updates for ArrowOS with Magisk root? Or will it block updates or so

Is it straightforward to install updates for ArrowOS with Magisk root? Or will it block updates or something?
Automated updates are built in the OS. Just like in any Stock OS. Magisk is not required, nor other user intervention. Just click a button to check for updates availability and another to proceed with installation of that update. You can't get more simpler than that. No other user input is required before or afterwards.

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
What I mean is does having magisk installed make it harder to do automatic updates on ArrowOS? I have rooted my phone with magisk on ArrowOS.
After update everything continues to work as it did before. Nothing changes for your apps, everything continues to work. You do not need to reinstall magisk or do anything. Updating doesn't affect Root , magisk hidden apps, or anything. You just continue to enjoy your phone as before.

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Let's tell it like it is. Aosp roms have the same problems for years and years and they never gonna get fixed. I remember from a couple of years ago, when I had a Xiaomi mi9t pro, aosp roms having the same instability and annoying bugs, like auto brightness sensor or fingerprint not working properly, random reboots and so on.
The devs simply don't have the resources to make a stable aosp rom. They always gonna be in pre-beta stage.
So, if this is your second device, then, by all means, feel free to play with aosp roms, but if this is your main device, that needs to work properly, I recommend you stay with miui.

There use to be a time when android was crap and custom was a must, but not anymore.

Feb 26, 2012
Let's tell it like it is. Aosp roms have the same problems for years and years and they never gonna get fixed. I remember from a couple of years ago, when I had a Xiaomi mi9t pro, aosp roms having the same instability and annoying bugs, like auto brightness sensor or fingerprint not working properly, random reboots and so on.
The devs simply don't have the resources to make a stable aosp rom. They always gonna be in pre-beta stage.
So, if this is your second device, then, by all means, feel free to play with aosp roms, but if this is your main device, that needs to work properly, I recommend you stay with miui.

There use to be a time when android was crap and custom was a must, but not anymore.
Agree conpletely. Miui may have minor bugs but mostly everything just works and usable, I don't even unlock my phone and have no complains, most of my friends also use stock firmware and don't even care about unlock and custom rom thing.

Creative9170

Feb 1, 2013
Tehran
www.androidize.ir
Why I prefer MIUI:
1- Stock MIUI camera with all features.
2- Better Dolby Atmos

Why I prefer AOSP (Now Syberia OS):
1- Pixel like experience with lighter system and apps (with no ads!)
2- Long press volume keys to skip track! (apps for this not work correctly)
3- Security! On lockscreen you should only unlock phone to disable wifi or mobile data.
4- Better multi-tasking and app switching
5- A little better battery life than MIUI
6- No black screen problem on apps like Inshot , MXPlayer ,...
7- Always 120hz display (MIUI drops refresh rate)
8- Call Recording (works in miui eu too)
9- Can enable DC Dimming (instead of PWM)
10- More customizations
11- Same fingerprint performance as MIUI
12- Updated linux kernels
13- Updated android security patches
14- Can un link notificatios and ringtone volume
15- Can use external mic for camera (MIUI doesn't allow I don't know why!)

Conclusion:
Totally I prefer AOSP roms, But if I want to use MIUI, I go for MIUI EU that is lighter with smaller bugs and more features.

Last edited:
Reactions: jefffrom

min-dfreak

Jun 20, 2012
How is brigthness on AOSP Roms? Had a Oneplus before and brigthness in AOSP ROMSs was very low compared to Stock ROM.
Also speaker loudness wasn't comparable.

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
After trying most ROMs available, i finally settled for Arrow OS in early June. I had no issues so far. I would say AOSP ROMs are rock solid for a while now. I have no BT delay whatsoever. Camera software will never be on the same level with MIUI. It's like having a store bought suit against a tailored suit. Both can look well on you, but the tailored one will look better.

Reactions: jefffrom and Noe367

DaRdamnDoG

May 23, 2017
I am really dumbfounded by these people who just go nuts about bloatware, having discussions about how terrible and bad they cause like a university professor. You don't have to hang on to it, just let it go and get something else that makes you feel empowered by a handheld mobile device, seriously. Do you really need to make a 1:1 ratio comparison between both miui and aosp? Which is honestly dumb in the first place, it's like comparing a 80kg man fighting with a 160kg man in a boxing match, if you know what I mean. If you bought this device just to unlock the bootloader and flash the aosp rom, it's like driving a Tesla Model 3 into the gas station.

DaRdamnDoG

May 23, 2017
Arrow hands down, can never go back to miui just to laggy for me but each his own....

If you said this using the 6GB version, I can understand why. But if you're on the 8GB version and said this, I'm sure every single 6GB users will not appreciate it lol.

MY PREVIOUS COMMENT WAS FOR 8GB USERS ONLY, I TOTALLY FORGOT THAT THERE ARE 2 VARIANTS FOR ALIOTH*

seifed

Mar 27, 2010
If you bought this device just to unlock the bootloader and flash the aosp rom, it's like driving a Tesla Model 3 into the gas station.
That's an odd comparison. People buy Tesla because they want Tesla experience, but nobody (in this thread) buys Xiaomi because they want Xiaomi 'experience'. They get it because it's cheaper and/or fairly easy to mod. I would personally never even consider F3 if MIUI was an only option.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am really dumbfounded by these people who just go nuts about bloatware, having discussions about how terrible and bad they cause like a university professor. You don't have to hang on to it, just let it go and get something else that makes you feel empowered by a handheld mobile device, seriously. Do you really need to make a 1:1 ratio comparison between both miui and aosp? Which is honestly dumb in the first place, it's like comparing a 80kg man fighting with a 160kg man in a boxing match, if you know what I mean. If you bought this device just to unlock the bootloader and flash the aosp rom, it's like driving a Tesla Model 3 into the gas station.

Agree conpletely. Miui may have minor bugs but mostly everything just works and usable, I don't even unlock my phone and have no complains, most of my friends also use stock firmware and don't even care about unlock and custom rom thing.
    After trying most ROMs available, i finally settled for Arrow OS in early June. I had no issues so far. I would say AOSP ROMs are rock solid for a while now. I have no BT delay whatsoever. Camera software will never be on the same level with MIUI. It's like having a store bought suit against a tailored suit. Both can look well on you, but the tailored one will look better.
    If you bought this device just to unlock the bootloader and flash the aosp rom, it's like driving a Tesla Model 3 into the gas station.
    That's an odd comparison. People buy Tesla because they want Tesla experience, but nobody (in this thread) buys Xiaomi because they want Xiaomi 'experience'. They get it because it's cheaper and/or fairly easy to mod. I would personally never even consider F3 if MIUI was an only option.
    I'm gonna copy>paste my answer from another thread:

This answer probably is going to sound harsh, but it is truth (at least for me hahaha).

I've tried literally every custom rom from here (and also a few ones that are baked outside XDA, i.e. HOS, the Android 12 build, etc) and yeah, not even one custom rom gets near the stability, compatibility and battery life of MIUI.

I don't like MIUI at all, but the battery consuption and stability is the best to be used as a daily driver. I hate when I want to do something on my daily basis and then I fail to do it because I'm using a custom rom, for example: bluetooth issues when connecting the phone with my car, video calls having audio issues, low volume on calls, etc) or just taking a photo.

MIUI covers all those little points, and at the end of the day, is the only rom that fullfill all my needs. I personally use eu (the weekly release), as it is just an optimized version of MIUI, but yeah, I still dream on the day that a custom rom gets to the same level of stability and compatibility as MIUI. I TRULY love pixel like roms, but I just don't wan't to sacrifice stability or just simply downgrade the cam quality just for that.

And if I really need to chose a custom rom, I'll pick Lineage, it's the best custom rom out there, has awesome battery life, extra features and the rom/mantainers are not just going to stop developing the weekly nightlies just because they get tired of it. On second place there is HOS, the only issue with HOS that I had is that the thermals of my phone gets real high when I play games (this does not happen with other roms).

=)

Here's the thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/best-custom-rom.4275947/page-6
    I tried searching this forum before asking, so forgive me if someone has already asked this before. I want opinions from users who tried both AOSP and MIUI based ROMs. I wanted to know which is more stable/feature rich and better. If you hate or are strongly against MIUI and hence will never use it that is fine, but I am more interested in those who don't have such a negative opinion of MIUI and I want an honest and fair comparison of the two types of ROMs.

I am currently on ArrowOS and it is pretty decent. However, it does have some minor bugs and inconveniences. The main one is that the default Google phone app has issues with incoming calls - I cannot hear the other person on incoming calls until I activate speakerphone. Also, I believe some features are missing in AOSP based ROMs such as Dolby audio, and some other niche features. Also, it is quite unfortunate that AOSP based ROMs cannot take full advantage of the cameras and are limited to 12 Megapixels only and some camera features are missing.

Now, I wanted to know if I can have full camera functionality in MIUI based ROMs? Does it also have the same kind of incoming call bug? And lastly, can I still install GCam on MIUI based ROMs and get the best of both worlds, that is use MIUI camera app and GCam as well? Your advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    I don't care a whole lot for the Xiaomi Miui based roms to clunky to bloated and slow compared to lets say Arrow is clean fast and battery life is much better , even Xiaomi.eu version is bloated in my opinion, themes , miui music app and video and the the built in Avast scanner all crap! but to each his own .
    That is a fair point but overall I still find MIUI to be the better ROM than AOSP ROMs.

I agree that MIUI has more bloat and a lot more pre-installed system apps. But I don't think it is slow at all. It is absolutely snappy and just as fast as AOSP ROMs. Battery life, I personally do not see any significant difference between the two. In fact I probably experienced more idle battery drain on ArrowOS and sometimes the phone was unable to go into deep sleep mode on ArrowOS.

But the main reason I prefer MIUI ROMs compared to AOSP even though my previous phone was a Pixel 2 and I really appreciate clean stock Android is because a lot of features are lost when I go to AOSP ROMs that I cannot justify it! Why use a ROM that takes away a lot of the features that came with the phone? I paid for all those features and I would like to use them.

For me camera is very very important and I was undewhelmed by GCam. I really wanted the proper functionality of stock MIUI camera. And the good news is I can install GCam on MIUI ROMs too to get the best of both worlds!

For me, the following is a small selection of features that are better on MIUI ROMs than AOSP:
    • Better Camera; there is no sound issue with incoming calls (was a problem on ArrowOS), better screen recorder features with floating controls, better screen casting functionality, useful built-in apps like voice recorder, notes, compass, weather app, also the calculator app and clock app are better and more feature rich than Google's equivalents
    • You can force dark mode on apps, which is really useful for those apps that don't have dark mode or make dark mode a paid feature
    • Dolby Atmos, MEMC, floating windows, one handed mode and other useful features not in AOSP ROMs
    • I personally prefer the layout of the notification panel in MIUI more than Stock Android. In fact, I liked Samsung One UI's implementation of the notification panel more than Google's stock implementation. Brightness slider is at the bottom to be more easily accessible, the settings icon is on the top so I do not have to expand the quick toggles to get that icon unlike in Stock Android.
    And honestly, once I have the phone all setup it looks great! Nowadays Android skins are relatively mild unlike the heavy handed UIs like TouchWiz and HTC Sense of the past. Even the latest MIUI looks fairly mild and after everything is setup there is not a lot of difference compared to Stock Android in appearance. In fact it looks a bit better than the very spartan Stock Android look. Even the Settings app is nicer with the bigger icons and fonts. So I am quite happy with the Xiaomi.eu ROM.

I hope this comparison of MIUI ROM vs AOSP interface is useful to others if they want to get an overview of what you get from MIUI ROMs compared to AOSP.

I tried many aosp custom roms and went back to stock Miui. High end phones have extra features like Dolby atmos which improves sound quality a lot and no custom rom sounds as good as Miui, and some very useful built in features like timing AOD which is very convenient,... I feel like Aosp custom roms would be better for mid range phone like Redmi notes, Poco F3 is powerful enough to be smooth even in Miui