[APK] Blinky v2.4 [BLN Blinking]

Search This thread

eeshuz

Dec 16, 2010
Hi,

Is it possible Blinky can make the BLNs flash while receiving a phone call (phone is ringing)? That's all that I'm missing. Thanks in advance

halfsoul

Jun 30, 2006
For now it is just a test, the pro version (whenever I write it) will use individual light control.
Guardian Bob,
Can you please let us know if you've decided to abandon this project? Your last post here (quoted above) was Feb 15th, and the last update to Blinky (Market) was Feb 3rd.

No hard feelings if you've moved on, I'd just like to know so I stop checking for updates.

AaronCompNetSys

Jun 19, 2007
I think scheduling is next on the list, if we get a new release, but until then here is how I do it now with tasker, when I'm asleep. I'm on Fascinate, and a couple features don't work but I use primarily for vibrate feature.

Code:
Task: Kill blinky (14)
	A1: CPU [ CPU:0 Governor:smartassV2 Min. Frequency:100000 Max. Frequency:400000 ] 
	A2: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Blinky Disabled ] 

Task: Blinky lives! (15)
	A1: CPU [ CPU:0 Governor:smartassV2 Min. Frequency:100000 Max. Frequency:800000 ] 
	A2: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Blinky Enabled ] 
	A3: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:5 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ] 
	A4: Kill App [ App:Secure Settings Use Root:On ] 
	A5: Load App [ App:Blinky Data: Exclude From Recent Apps:Off ] 
	A6: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:10 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ] 
	A7: Go Home [ Page:0 ] 
	A8: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:2 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ] 
	A9: System Lock

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2.4 is now on the market

So let's start off with what is BLN and what is Blinky.

neldar made a kernel patch a few months ago to make it so that notifications light up the LEDs under the soft buttons when you have a waiting notification (and the screen is off.) This is known as backlight notification or BLN for short. Blinky is an enhancement application to that patch to make the LEDs blink and your phone vibrate to remind you. The blinking tends to catch the eye a whole lot more than simply solid lights.

No longer calling this beta, the install method is new but the source seems to be solid. As noted below, this requires that your kernel support BLN already.

Enhanced BLN is for Froyo only. Sorry Eclair users, I just don't have the correct build environment for you.
    As of 2.1.1 Enhanced BLN should work for Eclair as well. This is currently untested.

So I haven't done the work yet to see if there's any affect on battery life, in fact there probably is a tiny bit more usage with this.
    Battery usage tests: https://sites.google.com/site/sgsblinky/battery-usage

After you install it/upgrade it, you should run the program once to start the service. After that it will start automatically upon boot.

Expected behavior:
    When you get a notification that would light up the button lights, they will now blink. 1 second on, 1 second off. With 1.4 and later, after 5 minutes the BLN is left steady on to conserve battery.
    With 2.0, you can now set all the times, time on, time off, etc. With this power, you now control how much juice Blinky uses. It also makes you responsible if it uses too much power.
    2.0.3 is completely flashable. You must uninstall 2.0.2 first.

Yes, this means fade in/out is possible but not implemented yet. No, I cannot control each button, the interface doesn't appear to allow that level of control.

Feature suggestions are welcomed.

Features I'm already thinking about/working on:
    • Special charging behavior.

Flashing via CWM the blinky-lights.zip is strongly recommend in addition to installing the APK. It fixes some bugs that I just can't fix otherwise.
    For 2.0.3 flashing via CWM is required.

Eclair users installing for the first time, use the blinky-lights-2.1.2.zip.
    2.3 adds in the ability to write the library without using CWM. It requires root to do this, and must reboot immediately after. While the risk is low this may not be safe in some cases. In addition, some ROMs then replace my lib on boot, making it useless. That said, flashing from CWM has the same inherent risk and set of problems. Both versions are here.

2.1.2 is an upgrade to 2.1.

2.1 is an upgrade to 2.0.3. The library didn't change, so you can upgrade from 2.0.3 (only) to 2.1 without flashing. (Use the Blinky_v2.1.apk to upgrade.)

If you're installing for the first time or upgrading from a version before 2.0.3, simply flash the blinky-lights-2.1-1.zip and you'll get the library and the APK.

If you like my work, consider donating to my beer fund. ;)

Change log:
    V2.3: Added version number to the title, added option to turn off Blinking when the blink time expires, added button to replace the library (requires root) and reboot, made test button work with stubborn devices (requires root on those device only). Better library detection, for those flashing kernels. Removed notification. Test button turns the screen off.
    V2.1.2: Eclair fixes, added an option to enable BLN on startup.
    V2.1.1: Added a checkbox to handle if BLN is disabled/enabled. Added a few extra error messages to help people out. Added Eclair support (untested at this time).
    V2.1: Updated UI, Minutes, seconds, milliseconds. Changed the vibrate time to 750 ms. Added a stop vibrating after a specific amount of time option.
    V2.0.3: Completely flashable (includes apk). Changed directories to handle Samsung Froyo insanity.
    V2.0.2: Upped the limit on the number of digits in the number of milliseconds to blink option.
    V2.0.1: Workaround for missing /tmp in some systems (due to Voodoo)
    V2.0: Added UI, Icon, Enhanced BLN
    V1.4: internal refactoring and added a stop to the blinking after 5 minutes to save battery
    V1.3: rewrote the blinking thread to avoid holding a wakelock. Should be easier on the battery. Will test this today.
    V1.2: rewrote the threading interface. - Keep an eye on battery usage.
    V1.1: initial release.

Known Issues:
    • If a notification goes away (such as Gmail was read online, but you had a waiting notification for it) the lights keep blinking. - Flash the updated bln to fix.
    • Need to uninstall 2.0.2 to install 2.0.3
    • Report of the library being replaced with the original version on boot, meaning enhanced mode is impossible.
    • Documentation post needs to be updated.

Rom maintainers:
    Feel free to include my lights.s5pc110.so, it is fully compatible with the one neldar released. Contact me with any question including upcoming development.

Special thanks to:
    • neldar for the base level code I'm using
    • Reefermattness for the icon
    • My beta testers
    • s44 for Eclair testing
    Screenshots and Documentation

So here's what you need to know about Blinky. Screenshots are based on Blinky 2.0.2, 2.1, and 2.1.1 where appropriate.

What Blinky Looks Like
    screenshot_60.jpg

Enhanced BLN
    Due to interface between BLN and the system, certain issues arise such as notifications that come and go. In order to better handle these cases, I've provided a flashable zip file in the main post to make the system more robust. In testing the first version it was found some ROMs don't have /tmp (which is generally a bad thing) so as a result Blinky will inform you of what you have.
    screenshot_79.jpgscreenshot_78.jpgscreenshot_80.jpg
    The very first line and color should be a clue.
    • Red - it is strongly recommended you install the flashable piece.
    • Yellow - you might want to let your ROM maintainer know that /tmp is missing (designgears already knows about this on Perception). No longer happens as of 2.0.3.
    • Green - you've got nothing to worry about.

Times
    The times are entered in milliseconds. 1000 milliseconds = 1 second. Thus 5 minutes is 3000000 milliseconds.
    As of 2.1, time is entered as "minutes:seconds.milliseconds".

Options
    screenshot_90.jpgscreenshot_87.jpgscreenshot_88.jpgscreenshot_89.jpg
    • Enable Blinky
      On means Blinky does something, off means standard BLN behavior.
    • BLN Enabled
      On means the lights will flash, off will disable the lights, vibration depends on the vibration settings.
    • Time between BLN checks
      Time in between checks for a new notification or one that went away. This time is approximate, based on the system, and uses very little power @ 5 seconds.
    • Time to leave the light on
      Amount of time the light is on when blinking.
    • Time to leave the light off
      Amount of time the light is off when blinking.
    • Time to blink
      How long to let the blinking go on before just staying steady. Blinking uses some power, so if you're away from your phone for a long period of time, this will turn off the blinking to save power.
    • Enable vibration
      Enables vibration and the options.
    • Vibrate delay
      Time between the start of vibrations. The vibration time is fixed at 750 ms. This is the time between starts, not the time between stop and start.
    • Stop vibrating after
      Stops the vibrating after a certain amount of time, just like blinking above.
    • Save Settings
      Commits all your changes.
    • Test Settings
      Creates a notification for you to test with. You must not pull down the notification bar. Hit the power button after clicking this to test.
    2.2.3 Beta.

Can install the lib without flashing.
    New test button.
    Fixed some bugs discovered with Perception 9.

This is very early, so if it breaks you, you're SOL.

Let me know how it works.

Changes include:
    • New Test Button
    • Button for pushing the lib onto your device
    • Vibrate disabled by default
    • Fixed bug where automatically enable BLN on startup wouldn't disable

If this goes well it will likely migrate to the market.
    I'm running version 1.2 and last night my battery was at 100% before I unplugged it at 1:30 am when I went to sleep. at 7 am I received a message, I woke up and noticed and acknowledged it at 7:30 am and my battery level was at 72%. the system monitor app under history and top apps in an 8 hour period showed blinky at greater than 5% which is the largest value I've ever seen for anything. system processes held the previous record at 3.2%. my normal battery drain over night is around 5% and last night I lost 28%.

Okay, thank you for letting me know.

I'm going to re-prioritize things tonight and work on letting users set the aggressiveness vs responsiveness settings, as well as blink time and such. I'm also going to look for a good app to try and monitor the battery usage due to a particular app.

Update:
    Trying out power tutor to see what the power usage looks like. I'll go from there.

Update 2:
    It appears the wakelock is burning a lot more power than I expected, so I'll be switching that out to another method. I'm also going to look at a modification of the BLN patch to give much better control for apps like blinky.
    For the installation to work, I had to unisntall 2.0.2 then re-install/flash 2.0.3