[APOLLO/RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.72/v3.75 [B02 2014-07-03]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Safestrap update for those on 14.3.2.3.2/14.3.2.4 ONLY (B02)
BETA#2 BUILD

CHANGELOG:
  • [v3.75-B02]Bugfix rom-slot booting

DOWNLOADS:
CONFIRM YOUR STOCK OS VERSION BELOW AND THAT YOU ARE USING THE KINDLE FIRE HDX 8.9" (APOLLO)
[14.3.2.3.2 and later] LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Apollo-3.75-os3.2.4-B02.apk
Mirror 1: Crackflasher Download
Mirror 2: Goo.im Download

Enjoy

kingpin32

Jan 18, 2010
Jacksonville
I haven't tried yet. Once I lost root and safestrap on the last build I kept tablet in airplane mode. Now that I'm rooted with ota blocked I didn't know if the previous build would work. I'll try it out and repost back.

Update. I ran the old version of safestrap. I got the grey kindle fire screen then a blank screen for a few seconds. It then boots the normals boot animation and starts up. It seems to skip past booting into recovery

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Hashcode

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
?

I haven't tried yet. Once I lost root and safestrap on the last build I kept tablet in airplane mode. Now that I'm rooted with ota blocked I didn't know if the previous build would work. I'll try it out and repost back.

Update. I ran the old version of safestrap. I got the grey kindle fire screen then a blank screen for a few seconds. It then boots the normals boot animation and starts up. It seems to skip past booting into recovery

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Have you tried the newer one since that one failed?

Reactions: kingpin32

kasem71

Jul 30, 2014
hallo guys

after adb sideload i reboot my device. after that its start everytime in the empty stock rom. i cant come into the safestrap menu. what can i do ?

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014.

I am seeing if I can get some other devs trained up on how to build Safestrap, but as always there are no guarantees (especially where OTAs and future Android versions are concerned).

Thank you for all your encouragement and support.

For more information:
https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

For the Kindle HDXs, I know this has been a short-lived project. And I apologize for that. :/

tuanda82

Oct 16, 2005
Congratulation for your new job.

Thank you very much for all you have done for android users (especially kindle users).

BobJayJr

Jan 20, 2014
Hash congratulations, best wishes and thanks. I'm relatively new to the Android community and much of what I've learned has been enabled by your development efforts. I hope the folks at LMG come toappreciate you as much as this group has. Thanks again.

Sent from my KFAPWI using XDA Free mobile app

maluc

Sep 30, 2010
No chance to install stock rom?

Hi,
I´m on 14.3.1.0. and would like to install 3.2.3 stock rom beacuse i would like to install CM11 or CM12. I don´t know how i go on. I tried so many ways, and can´t flash the bin file I got?!
I have installed Safestrap, rooted and HDX.
Can anyone help me?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi,
I´m on 14.3.1.0. and would like to install 3.2.3 stock rom beacuse i would like to install CM11 or CM12. I don´t know how i go on. I tried so many ways, and can´t flash the bin file I got?!
I have installed Safestrap, rooted and HDX.
Can anyone help me?
At a high level here is what I would suggest:
- backup your data and existing rom slot(s)
- uninstall Nexus (optional; it will get nuked in the next step)
- uninstall Safestrap (need to do this properly or risk a brick)
- install twrp
- upgrade to 3.2.3 (optional but recommended)
- unlock bootloader (needed for some CM builds)
- flash CM11 or CM12

Some of these steps are complex and involve risk; others are relatively easy. Unfortunately, I do not have direct experience with uninstalling Safestrap; I am sure someone will jump in with guidance. Before diving in you may want to ask if now is the right time. CM builds are coming out pretty quickly; I suspect the need for an unlocked bootloader will quickly dissipate. That's probably the most challenging step.

If Nexus is running fine today you may consider staying there a bit longer while the dust settles. Migrating to a pure TWRP recovery is not a bad idea; you could probably do that now without much risk. Then you'd be ready for CMxx with a simple flash.

Reactions: travanx

papajetta

Jan 14, 2011
im posting this because it took me almost a day of reading through many threads and at the end i still took a chance at this not working..... before let me thank the original developer for all of his hard work into this recovery.
this safetrap will defintely work on 3.2.8 apollo. so if amazon downgraded you recently from 4.5.3 to 3.2.8 , dont go back to 4.5.2. get root access and block ota updates on 3.2.8 and then download and install safestrap. make a backup right away when u go into recovery the first time. then create a rom slot under boot options giving it a decent size under data. then select that slot and this will be the slot where your new rom or any modifications will go.

maluc

Sep 30, 2010
From where do i get a flashable ZIP file? I Do not know how to flash a .bin file?
Also no idea how i remove the twrp recovery?
Please help, i work on it the whole day!:D

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
From where do i get a flashable ZIP file? I Do not know how to flash a .bin file?
Also no idea how i remove the twrp recovery?
Please help, i work on it the whole day!:D
If you're not comfortable with the steps outlined you should stay where you are for now. Nexus is a very stable rom and not that much different from CM11 unless you have specific needs. Flashing/removing stuff without a complete understanding of the consequence can land you a brick. Keep reading the forums; everything is there.

maluc

Sep 30, 2010
I haven´t installed Nexus on my tab. It would be an idea, but on 14.1.3.0 nothing is possible.
Could you post a link where i can found those things. I´m on it about 10 hours...can´t fix the things I would like to do....
I would like to remove twrp, to install the auto update....can i install a new firefirefire bootloader via dastboot to remove twrp?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I haven´t installed Nexus on my tab. It would be an idea, but on 14.1.3.0 nothing is possible.
Could you post a link where i can found those things. I´m on it about 10 hours...can´t fix the things I would like to do....
I would like to remove twrp, to install the auto update....can i install a new firefirefire bootloader via dastboot to remove twrp?
Actually, on 14.1.3.0 everything is possible. You can root, install twrp (you really want twrp), unlock the bootloader and install any rom that has been created for this device. Many HDX owners would love to be in your shoes.

If you want to upgrade to 14.3.2.3 go here. But I'm not sure what that will get you since you need to remove Safestrap and install the version of twrp posted here before you will be able to safely install CM11 or CM12. You may need to unlock your bootloader for some CM builds. I can't emphasize enough how risky some of these steps are if you don't know what you are doing. Good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SAFESTRAP FOR THE KINDLE FIRE HDX 8.9" (APOLLO)

ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
    https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

*** DISCLAIMER ***
    I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

THANKS TO MY TESTERS:
    Scepterr (Who I bricked during testing and had to replace his device)
    Gamma-X
    GSLEON

PLEASE PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SAFESTRAP!!
    MAKE A BACKUP OF STOCK RIGHT AFTER YOU GET SAFESTRAP INSTALLED SO THAT YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF DISASTER RECOVERY.
    THEN YOU CAN RESTORE IT TO A ROM-SLOT (AFTER YOU MAKE ONE).
    ONLY MODIFY ROM-SLOT FILES. LEAVE YOUR STOCK ROM ALONE!!

WARNING: THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

UNKNOWN ISSUE: If you try and start Wifi and the device crashes/reboots, try turning on bluetooth prior to enabling wifi and see if that works.

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    BETA-STABLE

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
    4. For more information you can read up here:
      http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    1. Requirement: Rooted w/ SuperSU installed
    2. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
    3. Download the Safestrap APK
    4. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
    5. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
    6. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
    7. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    8. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    9. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
    10. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting.

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
    • Push the APK up to your sdcard.
    • Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
    • Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
    • Open an "explorer" of some sort (ESFileExplorer, etc)
    • Browse to where you pushed the APK
    • Click on it and install like normal
    • Once installed, open the APK
    • Grant SU access
    • Use the "Install Recovery" button
    • All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM YOUR STOCK OS VERSION BELOW AND THAT YOU ARE USING THE KINDLE FIRE HDX 8.9" (APOLLO)
    [14.3.2.1 and earlier] LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Apollo-3.72.apk
    [14.3.2.3.2 and later] LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Apollo-3.75-os3.2.4-B02.apk
    Mirror 1: Crackflasher Download
    Mirror 2: Goo.im Download

To root, I recommend flashing SuperSU.zip from here and flash in Safestrap to the active rom-slot after flashing the ROM:
    http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

As of version 3.75, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
    I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

Special Thanks To
    DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery
    For those that missed it in the 1st post:

PLEASE PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SAFESTRAP!!
    MAKE A BACKUP OF STOCK RIGHT AFTER YOU GET SAFESTRAP INSTALLED SO THAT YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF DISASTER RECOVERY.
    THEN YOU CAN RESTORE IT TO A ROM-SLOT (AFTER YOU MAKE ONE).
    ONLY MODIFY ROM-SLOT FILES. LEAVE YOUR STOCK ROM ALONE!!

KNOWN ISSUES WHEN USING ROM-SLOTS (The ROMs are kept on loop device mounted partitions)
    1. In theory you will lose an extra 3-4 percent battery compared to normal usage from 100% to 0% due to the extra read/write work involved when using ROM-slots.
    2. The /data partition is kept separate from the "/sdcard" contents on SS ROMs. This causes the Storage settings to only show the size of the loopback data partition and then it shows "used" which includes the "sdcard" + /data so this can look odd at times (larger usage than partition size). It doesn't have any adverse affects that I know of.
    3. No custom kernel flashing support at this time. Don't try it. It won't work. All kernels need to be signed by Amazon at the moment.

CHANGELOG:
    • [v3.75]TWRP 2.7.1.0 update + display fix for 14.3.2.3.2/14.3.2.4
    • [v3.72]TWRP 2.7.0.0 update. *** This includes a bugfix for backup time showing correctly ***
    • [v3.72]Raised /data partition size to 16gb
    • [v3.72]Swapped "Reboot" -> "Download" mode to "Reboot" -> "Bootloader" (places you in fastboot mode)
    • [v3.71-B05]New QCOM recovery graphics patch to fix devices with larger than 2048 width
    • [v3.71-B05]Fixed touchscreen rotation (off by 90 degrees)
    • [v3.71-B05]WIP adb access in recovery (may only work on Linux for now)
    • [v3.71-B05]Initial release for Apollo (Kindle HDX 8.9")
    For awareness both mirrors have been down for weeks (one permanently) with several recent requests for the 3.75 apk in other threads going unanswered. The OP clearly indicates support would be withdrawn Sept 1st, 2014. It appears that end is drawing nearer and serves as a clear warning to those still on safestrap: keep a backup of your apk!

For those considering a rollback to 3.2.8 for the purpose of running Nexus 1.0.x you may want to hold up until the Safestrap 3.75 apk is reposted (which may or may not happen).

I've reuploaded all the files to MEGA: https://mega.co.nz/#F!BZVi3JzL!sveOygO-qbcmerp3BkgcxA
    New Safestrap v3.72 is up!

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING THE KINDLE FIRE HDX 8.9" (APOLLO)
    LATEST FILE: Safestrap-Apollo-3.72.apk
    Mirror 1: Goo.im Download
    Mirror 2: Crackflasher Download

CHANGELOG:
    • [v3.72]TWRP 2.7.0.0 update. *** This includes a bugfix for backup time showing correctly ***
    • [v3.72]Raised /data partition size to 16gb
    • [v3.72]Swapped "Reboot" -> "Download" mode to "Reboot" -> "Bootloader" (places you in fastboot mode) *** However, I couldn't get fastboot to recognize. So it might be currently useless. ***

WHEN UPGRADING SAFESTRAP: DO NOT STAY IN THE STOCK ROM LONGER THAN NECESSARY. AMAZON WILL UPDATE YOUR DEVICE.

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
    • Push the APK up to your sdcard.
    • Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
    • Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
    • Open an "explorer" of some sort (ESFileExplorer, etc)
    • Browse to where you pushed the APK
    • Click on it and install like normal
    • Once installed, open the APK
    • Grant SU access
    • Use the "Install Recovery" button
    • All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

NOTE: As a "short-cut" you can install the APK via adb (if for instance you don't want to take the time to load a FileExplorer onto the stock ROM):
    <cd to the directory on your PC where the Safestrap APK is located>
    adb install Safestrap-Apollo-3.72.apk
    Stock Amazon flash .zip for the HDX 8.9:
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/apollo/apollo-amazon-os-14.3.1.0.zip

Note it is not altered in ANY way. Need to root and stop OTAs if you flash it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk