[APP][1.1] AutoMagisk - Auto-disable Magisk's root when certain apps are running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Hey man, I'm not seeing it in Labs. Make sure you have at least 1 build enabled (both 1.0 and 1.1 builds are disabled). Every time you release a new version, you just need to upload a new build and the backend will point users towards whatever is versioned the highest for whatever release channel they subscribe to (alpha/beta/release).

Hope that helps!

Correct, it was disabled. AGAIN.

I swear every time I do something in Labs it disables the latest build

Reactions: blk_jack

JamesWeb

Dec 3, 2009
Nottingham
I'm getting a crash on the LG G5 every time I open the dialer or contacts app. Could try and get a log of the crash to you if you think it could help in your investigations?

rgraville

May 10, 2011
Potentially, it's something I could look into adding

I have apps that run in background that require root to work properly (like LightFlow). I would like root to be on at all times unless an app in the AutoMagisk-root-disable list is active (AndroidPay, PokemonGo, etc). If that is the case I would like root to stay disabled unless an app requiring root is brought to foreground or all apps in the root-disable list are closed(not just backgrounded).
The list of apps requiring root could be pulled from the root manager tool (like superuser, supersu, etc.)

Is this a potential option?

waylo

May 9, 2010
I'm getting a crash on the LG G5 every time I open the dialer or contacts app. Could try and get a log of the crash to you if you think it could help in your investigations?
Found the same thing on my install.

Also, not sure if related, but I was in the grocery shop and started up Android pay to change cards. Automagisk turned off root as expected. But then the cell radio lost all connection for a while and when it returned, cellular data was dead. Could not add a card to reconfirm root in android pay without the data connection. Very odd circumstance.

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
Found the same thing on my install.

Also, not sure if related, but I was in the grocery shop and started up Android pay to change cards. Automagisk turned off root as expected. But then the cell radio lost all connection for a while and when it returned, cellular data was dead. Could not add a card to reconfirm root in android pay without the data connection. Very odd circumstance.
If it eases your mind a bit, I've only been doing the add card trick once per reboot. I've been successful every time using Pay by just opening Android Pay to trigger Automagisk. Even turned Automagisk to keep root off when the screen is off and have made 1 or 2 transactions with Pay without issue.

ken2802

Aug 29, 2010
Could you check into the issue with love live. The app checks for root before it's really launched so automagisk wont have deactivated root in time.

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Could you check into the issue with love live. The app checks for root before it's really launched so automagisk wont have deactivated root in time.

I can't speed up it disabling root, it's already as fast as I can do without a new method which I've not found yet. The only thing I can suggest is to use the Add Shortcut option in AutoMagisk and always launch Love Live! from the homescreen

As a side note thanks for confirming that Love Live! doesn't work with root/doesn't work with AutoMagisk, I'd been wondering why it's appeared in my analytics

Reactions: ken2802

ken2802

Aug 29, 2010
I can't speed up it disabling root, it's already as fast as I can do without a new method which I've not found yet. The only thing I can suggest is to use the Add Shortcut option in AutoMagisk and always launch Love Live! from the homescreen

As a side note thanks for confirming that Love Live! doesn't work with root/doesn't work with AutoMagisk, I'd been wondering why it's appeared in my analytics
Well rootcloak had a similar issue but there you just need to ignore the su command. I guess they use su to determine if there is a rootcloak is active?

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Well rootcloak had a similar issue but there you just need to ignore the su command. I guess they use su to determine if there is a rootcloak is active?

AutoMagisk triggers Magisk to disable root entirely, leaving the system "untouched" to any checks, which is currently the only way to pass SafetyNet. If Love Live! uses SafetyNet, only this method and SUhide will work

Reactions: ken2802

ken2802

Aug 29, 2010
AutoMagisk triggers Magisk to disable root entirely, leaving the system "untouched" to any checks, which is currently the only way to pass SafetyNet. If Love Live! uses SafetyNet, only this method and SUhide will work
Yeah the behavior is kinda strange:

No root (no root what so ever not even systemless), no xposed - yes
root (systemless), no xposed - no
root (systemless but deactvated), no xposed - no
root (systemless but deactvated), yes xposed - no
root (systemless), yes xposed and rootcloack w/o su filter - suddenly works

Edit:
systemless xposed of course.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Add to shortcut works.

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Yeah the behavior is kinda strange:

No root (no root what so ever not even systemless), no xposed - yes
root (systemless), no xposed - no
root (systemless but deactvated), no xposed - no
root (systemless but deactvated), yes xposed - no
root (systemless), yes xposed and rootcloack w/o su filter - suddenly works

Edit:
systemless xposed of course.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Add to shortcut works.

Probably SafetyNet on start then

ken2802

Aug 29, 2010
Thanks for your help. There is also fate grand order which doesnt work, but that one is really extreme anyways. It basicly freaks out as soon as it finds any file that could be related to rooting. As such you need a totaly clean Stock rom with systemless root.

Flam31800

Jul 27, 2014
Will this be compatible with the new Magisk v7? I think it's already being released! Check the threads!!!

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AutoMagisk no longer works, as Magisk stopped supporting this method in v8

AutoMagisk
    Automatically disable Magisk root when certain apps, such as Android Pay or Pokemon Go are running to bypass SafetyNet

Note: You MUST have Magisk installed, with an unmodified system and Phh's Superuser. This is very important, AutoMagisk will NOT work otherwise.
    Confused on how to do this? See this Android Police guide

Note: Using android pay to pay only works from the screen off with the option enabled in AutoMagisk's settings to disable root when the screen is off. If you try to pay with the screen already on from an app which does not have root disabled, AutoMagisk will NOT disable root in time and you will get rejected.

AutoMagisk has the following features:
    - Disable Magisk root when an app is launched and re-enable it when an app that's not also set to disable is launched (usually when the app is closed again)
    - Disable Magisk root when the screen is locked (optional, enable in the settings), to probably allow Android Pay to work from the screen being off
    - Ignore certain apps: Say you have Pokemon Go set to disable root, and you open Facebook's chat heads, with Pokemon Go behind it. Root will not be disabled, but if you open Messenger without Go being open in the background, root will not be disabled
    - Notification when root is disabled (can be turned off in the settings), as a reminder

How does it achieve this?
    - An AccessibilityService to monitor app launch
    - A background service/broadcast receiver for the screen turning off (turning back on is handled when an app is launched)
    Because it uses an AccessibilityService, you MUST enable it in settings. You will be prompted to do this when launching AutoMagisk.

Apps with root disabled by default:
    Android Pay
    Google Play Services
    Pokemon Go
    NatWest
    NatWest Offshore
    Isle of Man Bank
    Ulster Bank

Apps ignored by default:
    Twilight
    Facebook Messenger
    System UI

Screenshots:
    JLMLK9dl.png
    9EwMB23l.png
    jZeiPEbl.png

Still confused? Watch this video to show it in action

Download from Google Drive (Also available on XDA Labs)
    I just released build 1.1 to XDA Labs, and Google Drive (using the same link which is neat).

1.1 Changelog said:
    - Added toggle widget
    - Added option to add a shortcut that disables root BEFORE opening an app to the desktop
    - Added lazy loading for those of you with hundreds of apps
    - Removed Superuser check, should now work with SuperSU
    - Added 17 new default enabled apps. If migrating from 1.0 you need to use "Re-add defaults" for this to work
    - Added LastPass as a default ignore. If migrating from 1.0 you need to use "Re-add defaults" for this to work

I'll also upload it to APKMirror if anyone has Pushbullet alerts for there

I'm looking into an "invert" mode, and whether it's possible (it should be), expect that soon
    Since root toggling is removed from v7, I'd say: no.

Yup. This kills the app.

I'll leave this thread and the app up for anyone who's running v6 and doesn't want to update but for now I'm locking it because I don't want similar rants in here about it being removed as in the main thread.

And as per my normal policy with my other apps that need old software to work, it won't get updated
    Could there be an option to keep root disabled by default and only enable for applications that require root?

Potentially, it's something I could look into adding
    It doesn't fit, it's one character below the limit

Easy: change "Automatically" to "Auto" :p