• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][1.6+] MM Tracker

Search This thread

uspole

Sep 11, 2010
Hi upsole. As the search itself is done in a background thread it should not affect the GUI of MM Tracker too much. I have got a question regarding the grey bar which is going from left to right while loading an MMI. Is it going "normal" compared to your other phone with the same MMI (When you do not touch anything on the GUI)? Or is even this loading process slowed down ?
What could also be possible is that you have a bad/damaged SD card. Could you swap the card and try another one (ideally the one from your phone which is loading faster). Thanks.
Best regards,
Michael

Hi Map Man,
Ive reinstalled the MMI file and its still behaving pretty appalingly. For example, if it does work, its very very slow. It takes about 8 seconds for every place-name letter I enter to register. After entering the full place-name it takes about 20 seconds to hone in on the relevant place-names. After that when I press 'view' it takes about 30 seconds to go to open the map. In reality the facility is unusable

I am using the same SD Card I was using in the other phone. Ive got no reason to think there's anything wrong with it. I am able to scroll the maps and do everything else without problems. Its just when im using the MMI search facility.

Help please

franktompson

Nov 8, 2007
Bath, England
Direction Arrow

Hi Michael and other readers/contributors,

Apologies for resurrecting this one, but while I now get a direction arrow showing from the cross-hairs while on the move:

a. it wobbles about a lot, even when I am travelling straight and steady, and
b. it tend to show about 20-30 deg off the actual direction of travel.

Any advice please?

Settings I am using which may be relevant (and having tried to vary without success) are:

GPS tracking data rate - never
GPS tracking min distance - 0 metres (always)
Show speed vector - 5 seconds
Navigation display - Large arrow only
Display Compass /
Compass Type - Compass shows always North
Use compass for speed vector - Use Compass always

Apart from that everything good and I look forward to the updates you have in hand. :)

Best wishes,

Frank T
Samsung Galaxy S running Darkys ROM v9.0 Extreme Edition

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
It sounds like you may need to calibrate your compass. Either that or there's a hardware problem with the compass.

That is my opinion too. Check out the FAQ: http://sites.google.com/site/mmtrackerinfo/faq

Furthermore the wobble-issue is "normal" as long as you have movement/vibration on your phone.
Becaue to calculate the compass direction out of the XYZ-compass information, the device uses the acceleromter which is affected then.

Regards,Michael

Last edited:

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Version 1.8.5 is online

Change Log:

• Feature added: Pinch Zoom (finally ;-)
  • Improvement: Option in settings for automatic zoom adaption when mapscale changes
  • Improvement: When jump to overlay item or map loaded, GPS lock will be disabled
  • Fix: Nullpointer exception fixed
  • Fix: Direction of D-Pad movement when map rotates corrected

Reactions: MadStu

HurricaneMike

May 23, 2011
Wow Michael
Thats fantastic.

All I ever wanted.

However, now that I've tried it a little I wonder about another feature.
How about rotating the map whilst in two finger zoom mode - bit like Google Maps.

My compas doesnt work very well so I've taken it off the display but it seems to me that from the compass, you already have the routines to rotate etc

Anyway - well done - fantastic

My Android is a Samsung Galaxy S - Gingerbread 2.3.3 JVO with CF-Root kernel - I also use a Voodoo kernel which works as well.

mshere

Jun 9, 2011
Having just done a walk around in the Brecon Beacons. It is much more stable than MemoryMap on Windows Mobile - brilliant programme.

From measurements on the hills there and from some research on the internet, the geoid difference for the UK seems to be 47 metres i.e. subtract 47 m from the figure given by MMTracker (temporary solution)

Reactions: fredjones1uk

franktompson

Nov 8, 2007
Bath, England
Michael et al,

1. Thanks to kslw and Michael for pointing out the need to calibrate the compass which seems to work in getting the pointer in the right direction and eliminating wobble. Not quite sure why I hadn't thought of such as simple solution, but hey!

2. Thanks for pinch-zoom which is excellent. Agree with HurricaneMike that rotating the map whilst in two finger zoom mode would be great: but in the meantime am very happy with what you have already produced!

3. I must have been asleep for one or two updates and have just discovered 'Display' 'Rotate Map' 'Rotate map based on compass'. ie the map faces direction of travel. For me, this is the biggest step forward so far. When cycling south(ish) because I'm facing the way I'm going, when I arrive at a junction I automatically know wether to turn left or right without having to do a reverse calculation - which I'm not very good at! Brilliant; thanks Michael.

Cheers,

Frank

jedbartlet

Dec 2, 2010
Yesterday was the first time I had chance to test the "Rotate map based on compass" and pinch zoom while out on a walk. Both worked great and it really is now a superb app.

Many thanks Michael. Keep up the great work. :D

gadgetuk437

Dec 29, 2006
Devon/Cornwall border, UK
Furthermore the wobble-issue is "normal" as long as you have movement/vibration on your phone.
Becaue to calculate the compass direction out of the XYZ-compass information, the device uses the acceleromter which is affected then.
Have you thought about using compass/accelerometer for speed vector/bearing below x speed and use GPS bearing above x speed?
(x being user configurable)

astromark

Sep 29, 2007
Hi Fred,

as suggested i asked Mach2003 about how he implemented this correction in his GPS Mod Driver. Mostly it is done by a minimzed list of correction values. As soon as i get more information about the data format of this list i will start implementing it. But currently that is all that i know.
Regards, Michael

That's good to hear - thanks!

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Map Man,
Ive reinstalled the MMI file and its still behaving pretty appalingly. For example, if it does work, its very very slow. It takes about 8 seconds for every place-name letter I enter to register. After entering the full place-name it takes about 20 seconds to hone in on the relevant place-names. After that when I press 'view' it takes about 30 seconds to go to open the map. In reality the facility is unusable
I am using the same SD Card I was using in the other phone. Ive got no reason to think there's anything wrong with it. I am able to scroll the maps and do everything else without problems. Its just when im using the MMI search facility.

Hi upsole,
i have no idea what could cause this. Sorry. Could you make me the MMI file available ? Does this problem exists with every MMI file ?
Regards, Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
However, now that I've tried it a little I wonder about another feature.
How about rotating the map whilst in two finger zoom mode - bit like Google Maps.

i thought about this too while implementing the pinch zoom :D What made me not doing it was the missing "concept" for the UI. When should it be possible to rotate ? Because the automatic rotation would everytime rotate back to direction of compass or GPS when ending the "pinch rotation". Maybe a special "manual" mode, additionally to compass and GPS ?
Any ideas ?

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Would getting the elevation data out of the memory map files be any easier.

There is not a QED file for every QCT map existing (at least for me, using self scanned maps). Furthermore the QED for example for europe is quite coarse. So it is always a good idea to have the GPS altitude available. And finally QED support for MM Tracker is still planned :D. But as i received some info about the file format recently i will implement it in near future.

Regards, Michael

HurricaneMike

May 23, 2011
Hi upsole,
i have no idea what could cause this. Sorry. Could you make me the MMI file available ? Does this problem exists with every MMI file ?
Regards, Michael

Hi Michael

The compass isn't that good on my Samsung Galaxy S but imagine that I was walking using a conventional paper map. I could fold it so that whenever I looked at it, it could be roughly orientated in the direction I was going. I know the inbuilt compass automatically orientates the map but it often takes a while to stabilise and I then have to gather my thoughts whilst I remember where I am on the newly orientated map. It would be quicker for my feeble brain to remember where I was and the direction I was travelling if the display was the same as it was when I last looked at it.

So, could you use your fingers to rotate the map when compass mode is off?
Maybe its more of an option for screen orientation?????

Not a big deal but I thought it would be kinda neat!

When I navigate on the boat at sea, I always have the charts set to "North Up" (and the radar is usually set to "Head Up") so this is a bit of a silly request from me.

Anyway, as I said previously, fantastic app - really pleased with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MMTracker 1.23.0

*Code changes required for Android 12
    *Show further information on the About form
    *Allow deletion of Waypoint packages
    *Calculate ascent for routes and tracks. Show in the relevant overlay manager
    *New elevation setting 'Elevation Distance Granularity'
    *Fix problem with convert to track/route for Android 11+
    *Allow the GPS crosshairs to be resized through GPS and Tracking settings
    *Allow the GPS crosshairs to be coloured red or black through the Colours settings
    *Allow the speed vector width to be adjusted through the Colours settings
    *Rewrite qcttile and mmiread code as 64bit to enable qct files to be up to 4GB for Android 7.0+
    *In an overlay manager (routes/tracks/waypoints) allow long hold on an overlay item
    *From the actions menu, allow Drop Pin to create a waypoint at this point
    MMTracker 1.23.0

*Code changes required for Android 12
    *Show further information on the About form
    *Allow deletion of Waypoint packages
    *Calculate ascent for routes and tracks. Show in the relevant overlay manager
    *New elevation setting 'Elevation Distance Granularity'
    *Fix problem with convert to track/route for Android 11+
    *Allow the GPS crosshairs to be resized through GPS and Tracking settings
    *Allow the GPS crosshairs to be coloured red or black through the Colours settings
    *Allow the speed vector width to be adjusted through the Colours settings
    *Rewrite qcttile and mmiread code as 64bit to enable qct files to be up to 4GB for Android 7.0+
    *In an overlay manager (routes/tracks/waypoints) allow long hold on an overlay item
    *From the actions menu, allow Drop Pin to create a waypoint at this point
    Loving the updates, thank you so much :)
    Hi there,

Amongst the many fantastic things MMT_2020 has done I notice they have added MBTile functionality.

You can download the GB basemap in Mbtile format from here:-

If you move the resultant 2+Gb file into the maps folder MMtracker displays a grid with red X's.
    Could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial to produce a MMtracker readable file please?

I'm not a coder so this may be beyond me!

Many thanks in advance.
    MMTracker only supports MBTiles databases which contain raster tiles. The free downloads from osdatahub contain vector tiles.
    MM Tracker patch for JB 4.2

Attached is a patched version of MM Tracker 1.10.4 that should work on Android 4.2 , it does for me :)
    As it is signed with different keys to the original it can not be used to update an already installed MM tracker, you will have to uninstall any existing MMT.

Naf
    MM Tracker Current Version 1.10.6

Hello,

as Map Man is not developing any more on MM Tracker i decided to offer my support to at least keep the project alive for upcoming Android versions.
    Attached you can find the latest version 1.10.6 of MM Tracker which has not too many improvements, but will run on current Android versions.

Feel free to share and distrubute!

Cheers.
    MMTracker - 1.20.0

Please find attached

* 1.20.0 Android 11 release (backwards compatible to Android 4.4)
    *Allow Screen to stay on if power is connected (new default)
    *Power icon at bottom left of screen
    *If routepoints overlap, then only draw the first one. Helps with drawing routes on small scale maps
    *Show both km and miles on the tracking notification
    *New setting in 'Display Options' to allow the scale to always be metric, regardless of what the Distance Units are
    *Allow new button (turned on using User Interface settings), to allow 'Refresh Routes/Tracks/Waypoints'
    *Allow routes, tracks and waypoints to be shared
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements
    MMTracker - 1.19.6

Please find attached

* 1.19.6 Don't allow compass settings if the device doesn't have a compass
    * Always output <trkseg> element in the gpx file for a track
    * Tidy up notification handling in the tracking service
    MMTracker 1.21.0

*Cope with qct files which don't have a boundary defined
    *Allow Waypoints to be loaded from subfolders in the Waypoints directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *Allow Routes to be loaded from subfolders in the Routes directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *Now option 'View Route Data' to show basic information about the route with an option to show an elevation v distance graph
    *Allow Tracks to be loaded from subfolders in the Tracks directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *For a selected Track, new option of 'Show Trackpoints' which will show the actual trackpoints. These can be selected individually and deleted. Useful for removing rogue points in a track
    *Elevation data will be automatically downloaded if you have a WiFi connection, and placed in a new Elevations directory within your Maps directory
    *If elevation data is available, the elevation will be shown in the position window as well as in Routes
    *For mbtiles maps, move seamlessly between maps
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements