• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][1.6+] MM Tracker

Search This thread

deputydog

Oct 3, 2006
London
Hi,
I've just upgraded my HTC Desire to the official Gingerbread 2.3.3 ROM (which wipes all data) and now I cant download the full app (which I purchased in Nov 2010). :(
The Android Market app on the phone does not show the full MM Tracker app and if I go to the Android Market, through a browser, I get and error "O2 HTC HTC Desire - This item is not compatible with your device".

How can I get the install files without paying again?
Excellent app by the way.

thanks

uspole

Sep 11, 2010
".......... Originally Posted by uspole
Hi Map Man,
Ive reinstalled the MMI file and its still behaving pretty appalingly. For example, if it does work, its very very slow. It takes about 8 seconds for every place-name letter I enter to register. After entering the full place-name it takes about 20 seconds to hone in on the relevant place-names. After that when I press 'view' it takes about 30 seconds to go to open the map. In reality the facility is unusable
I am using the same SD Card I was using in the other phone. Ive got no reason to think there's anything wrong with it. I am able to scroll the maps and do everything else without problems. Its just when im using the MMI search facility........."
Hi upsole,
i have no idea what could cause this. Sorry. Could you make me the MMI file available ? Does this problem exists with every MMI file ?
Regards, Michael

Hi MapMan,
I think ive isolated the problem somewhat.Ive tried different MMI files in the SG2 and it fails everytime - but ive tried those same MMI files on the same Micro SD Card in a Samsung Galaxy i9100 and everything works fine the way it should. So the problem is peculiar to the SG2.

Ive had this problem now with two different Android firmwares on the SG2, 2.3.3 and currently 2.3.4 KG1.

So here is an appeal to other SG2 users -
ARE THERE ANY SAMSUNG GALAXY 2 USERS OUT THERE WHO ARE RUNNING AN MMI FILE SUCCESSFULLY ON THE SG2 (and if so, what Android version etc.,?)

Whats your opinion MapMan?

HurricaneMike

May 23, 2011
".......... Originally Posted by uspole
Hi Map Man,
Ive reinstalled the MMI file and its still behaving pretty appalingly. For example, if it does work, its very very slow. It takes about 8 seconds for every place-name letter I enter to register. After entering the full place-name it takes about 20 seconds to hone in on the relevant place-names. After that when I press 'view' it takes about 30 seconds to go to open the map. In reality the facility is unusable
I am using the same SD Card I was using in the other phone. Ive got no reason to think there's anything wrong with it. I am able to scroll the maps and do everything else without problems. Its just when im using the MMI search facility........."

Hi MapMan,
I think ive isolated the problem somewhat.Ive tried different MMI files in the SG2 and it fails everytime - but ive tried those same MMI files on the same Micro SD Card in a Samsung Galaxy i9100 and everything works fine the way it should. So the problem is peculiar to the SG2.

Ive had this problem now with two different Android firmwares on the SG2, 2.3.3 and currently 2.3.4 KG1.

So here is an appeal to other SG2 users -
ARE THERE ANY SAMSUNG GALAXY 2 USERS OUT THERE WHO ARE RUNNING AN MMI FILE SUCCESSFULLY ON THE SG2 (and if so, what Android version etc.,?)

Whats your opinion MapMan?

I'm no expert but I have had problems with some Micro SD cards - especially the bigger ones. Perhaps you should try just one MMI file on an otherwise empty smaller card?

Just a thought.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi,
I've just upgraded my HTC Desire to the official Gingerbread 2.3.3 ROM (which wipes all data) and now I cant download the full app (which I purchased in Nov 2010). :(
The Android Market app on the phone does not show the full MM Tracker app and if I go to the Android Market, through a browser, I get and error "O2 HTC HTC Desire - This item is not compatible with your device".

I am trying currently to get some more info from Google about that issue.
Usually they need some time to "Validate" new ROM versions for full Market acess. But i do not know why it takes so long this time.
I will inform you when Google sent me a reply.
Regards,Michael

kevcal

Nov 10, 2008
Would 'set zero' or 'set known' altitude sort out the GPS altitude issue and use that offset to display altitude? Or is there more to it than that?? I thought that at least in the general area of the calibrated point the geoid value using this would be pretty accurate.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Would 'set zero' or 'set known' altitude sort out the GPS altitude issue and use that offset to display altitude? Or is there more to it than that?? I thought that at least in the general area of the calibrated point the geoid value using this would be pretty accurate.

yes of course this would be a solution. But i think the implementation of a correction table to have the correct values for every coordinate is more convenient for the user.
Regards, Michael

gadgetuk437

Dec 29, 2006
Devon/Cornwall border, UK
At the risk of tempering your optimism with a small reality check, have a read of this;
http://gpsinformation.net/main/altitude.htm

kevcal

Nov 10, 2008
Optimism... me? I'm not well known for that. It was just an idea :)
So just having an offset would help, but not very good accuracy over a large disrtance.. is the solution then to have a massive table of correction values, or is there a mathematical equation to calculate gps correction offset for specific latitude and longitude coordinates?
Sounds from that link, that altitude from gps is never going to be accurate whatever is done?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2007
Bath
Edit Map Data

Hi Michael,

Would it be possible to implement functionality like MM's 'Edit Map Data'. In particular the 'WGS84 Datum Shift' capability for a given map. I have just returned from a trip abroad and all my maps for a certain country were offset by a number of metres from both north and east so the ability to correct them in the field would have been most useful.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Michael,

Would it be possible to implement functionality like MM's 'Edit Map Data'. In particular the 'WGS84 Datum Shift' capability for a given map. I have just returned from a trip abroad and all my maps for a certain country were offset by a number of metres from both north and east so the ability to correct them in the field would have been most useful.

Generally there was some kind of "map properties" screen planned for MM Tracker. Maybe i can just add the Datum Shift to be entered in this dialog.
The only problem is that then MM Tracker has to modify/write your map on SD-card to write the new Datum. And i am not sure how this works out regarding performance for e.g. a 1GB map under Android....

Soupe

Oct 27, 2009
Hi Michael,
Just used Mmtracker on a sea passage, fantastic!
A few changes I would like if possible.

1 Shortcut for course/North up modes

2 Custom position icon (would love simple outline of boat)

3 Could the map scale take up a little less space (much shorter & maybe transparent?)

Thank you for such a great program.

Sean

Last edited:

franktompson

Nov 8, 2007
Bath, England
Non-MM Tracker created gpx files

Hi Michael,

If I'm going out cycle exploring I invariably create a 'route' on my PC-based Memory-Map, then save it and copy it to my Samsung Galaxy S from where I open it on MM Tracker. Works great.

However, I invariably 'Change Route Properties', eg colour and width. But when I do that I get a message to the effect that the route properties will not be saved as the route was not generated by MM Tracker.

Would it be possible to change that so that the file properties are permanently changed? The problem is that when I do a re-boot or change the battery, which I usually have to do on a long ride as the gps is heavy on battery life, the property settings revert back. Or, would it be possible to change the default settings of 'Properties' so that when I load a gpx route it automatically works to my preferred settings?

Best regards,

Frank T

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Michael,
Just used Mmtracker on a sea passage, fantastic!
A few changes I would like if possible.

1 Shortcut for course/North up modes

2 Custom position icon (would love simple outline of boat)

3 Could the map scale take up a little less space (much shorter & maybe transparent?)

Thank you for such a great program.

Sean

Hi Sean,
1)
I am already planning for an extended menu with more than six buttons (maybe nine or twelve). This menu will then contain shortcuts to map rotation modes. Biggest problem are the icons. So my question is:
Is anybody out there who is willing to provide some icons for the new menu ? Would be a great support as i am not that much into painting ;)

2) This is already on the todo list. Some icons provided to me could help :D

3) Will keep it in mind.

Regards,
Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Michael,

If I'm going out cycle exploring I invariably create a 'route' on my PC-based Memory-Map, then save it and copy it to my Samsung Galaxy S from where I open it on MM Tracker. Works great.

However, I invariably 'Change Route Properties', eg colour and width. But when I do that I get a message to the effect that the route properties will not be saved as the route was not generated by MM Tracker.

Would it be possible to change that so that the file properties are permanently changed? The problem is that when I do a re-boot or change the battery, which I usually have to do on a long ride as the gps is heavy on battery life, the property settings revert back. Or, would it be possible to change the default settings of 'Properties' so that when I load a gpx route it automatically works to my preferred settings?

Best regards,

Frank T

Hi Frank,
i think the best solution would be that MM Tracker allows to "convert" non-MM Tracker GPX routes and waypoints. Anyway the only difference is that the following text is added to the GPX:
Code:
<metadata>
<name>name_of_the_route</name>
<extensions>
<mmtcolor>FF00FF00</mmtcolor>
<mmtwidth>4.00</mmtwidth>
<mmtvisible>true</mmtvisible>
</extensions>
</metadata>

So as a temporary solution you could just add this tags into your route GPX file to make MM Tracker think that route was created by MM Tracker. But be aware that MM Tracker may delete some route properties when saving again the file (That is reason why MM Tracker refuses to do save "foreign" routes).

Regards,
Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Version 1.9.0 is online

Change Log:

• Feature added: Geoid correction of GPS altitude values
  • Improvement: Route navigation basing on XTE, ATD
  • Improvement: Display of Bearing and Distance when moving WP and RTP
  • Improvement: GPS Lock center position now according to status line(s) and navigation window
  • Fix: Crash/NullPointer when changing screen orientation
  • Fix: Did not continue display active tracking when crashed and tracks were loaded at restart

fredjones1uk

Feb 12, 2011
Runcorn
www.jonesfuk.webs.com
Help needed please

Hi Michael i don`t understand GPS-Lock center position now according to upper status lines. Since updating to 1.9 0 the cross hairs and navigation arrow for direction of travel have dissapeared i have tried to hold search button to show my current location on map as i used to do but nothing happens. Tracks and routes will not load automatically, when loading manually force close happens report sent, maps at position does not work either, the only thing that does work is geoid correction. Can you or any one help please.

Kind regards

Fred

Last edited:

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Fred,
that sounds like there is something completely wrong :confused:
Did you delete the settings and/or uninstall/reinstall MM Tracker ?
Sometimes a fresh install helps when things are too messed up.
Regards,Michael

fredjones1uk

Feb 12, 2011
Runcorn
www.jonesfuk.webs.com
Hi micheal, i used mmtracker last saturday and everything was fine the problems only started when i updated mmtracker, since my post above i have managed to get cross hairs and direction arrow working by manually loading maps, before i just started program and map appeared were i was located. since force close happened my tracks/routes have been deleted from sdcard but not by me (ghost in my device) i am reloading a cycle route tonight and using mmtracker on Sunday i will report back with my findings.

Kind regards

Fred

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MMTracker 1.23.0

*Code changes required for Android 12
    *Show further information on the About form
    *Allow deletion of Waypoint packages
    *Calculate ascent for routes and tracks. Show in the relevant overlay manager
    *New elevation setting 'Elevation Distance Granularity'
    *Fix problem with convert to track/route for Android 11+
    *Allow the GPS crosshairs to be resized through GPS and Tracking settings
    *Allow the GPS crosshairs to be coloured red or black through the Colours settings
    *Allow the speed vector width to be adjusted through the Colours settings
    *Rewrite qcttile and mmiread code as 64bit to enable qct files to be up to 4GB for Android 7.0+
    *In an overlay manager (routes/tracks/waypoints) allow long hold on an overlay item
    *From the actions menu, allow Drop Pin to create a waypoint at this point
    MMTracker 1.23.0

*Code changes required for Android 12
    *Show further information on the About form
    *Allow deletion of Waypoint packages
    *Calculate ascent for routes and tracks. Show in the relevant overlay manager
    *New elevation setting 'Elevation Distance Granularity'
    *Fix problem with convert to track/route for Android 11+
    *Allow the GPS crosshairs to be resized through GPS and Tracking settings
    *Allow the GPS crosshairs to be coloured red or black through the Colours settings
    *Allow the speed vector width to be adjusted through the Colours settings
    *Rewrite qcttile and mmiread code as 64bit to enable qct files to be up to 4GB for Android 7.0+
    *In an overlay manager (routes/tracks/waypoints) allow long hold on an overlay item
    *From the actions menu, allow Drop Pin to create a waypoint at this point
    Loving the updates, thank you so much :)
    Hi there,

Amongst the many fantastic things MMT_2020 has done I notice they have added MBTile functionality.

You can download the GB basemap in Mbtile format from here:-

If you move the resultant 2+Gb file into the maps folder MMtracker displays a grid with red X's.
    Could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial to produce a MMtracker readable file please?

I'm not a coder so this may be beyond me!

Many thanks in advance.
    MMTracker only supports MBTiles databases which contain raster tiles. The free downloads from osdatahub contain vector tiles.
    MM Tracker patch for JB 4.2

Attached is a patched version of MM Tracker 1.10.4 that should work on Android 4.2 , it does for me :)
    As it is signed with different keys to the original it can not be used to update an already installed MM tracker, you will have to uninstall any existing MMT.

Naf
    MM Tracker Current Version 1.10.6

Hello,

as Map Man is not developing any more on MM Tracker i decided to offer my support to at least keep the project alive for upcoming Android versions.
    Attached you can find the latest version 1.10.6 of MM Tracker which has not too many improvements, but will run on current Android versions.

Feel free to share and distrubute!

Cheers.
    MMTracker - 1.20.0

Please find attached

* 1.20.0 Android 11 release (backwards compatible to Android 4.4)
    *Allow Screen to stay on if power is connected (new default)
    *Power icon at bottom left of screen
    *If routepoints overlap, then only draw the first one. Helps with drawing routes on small scale maps
    *Show both km and miles on the tracking notification
    *New setting in 'Display Options' to allow the scale to always be metric, regardless of what the Distance Units are
    *Allow new button (turned on using User Interface settings), to allow 'Refresh Routes/Tracks/Waypoints'
    *Allow routes, tracks and waypoints to be shared
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements
    MMTracker - 1.19.6

Please find attached

* 1.19.6 Don't allow compass settings if the device doesn't have a compass
    * Always output <trkseg> element in the gpx file for a track
    * Tidy up notification handling in the tracking service
    MMTracker 1.21.0

*Cope with qct files which don't have a boundary defined
    *Allow Waypoints to be loaded from subfolders in the Waypoints directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *Allow Routes to be loaded from subfolders in the Routes directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *Now option 'View Route Data' to show basic information about the route with an option to show an elevation v distance graph
    *Allow Tracks to be loaded from subfolders in the Tracks directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *For a selected Track, new option of 'Show Trackpoints' which will show the actual trackpoints. These can be selected individually and deleted. Useful for removing rogue points in a track
    *Elevation data will be automatically downloaded if you have a WiFi connection, and placed in a new Elevations directory within your Maps directory
    *If elevation data is available, the elevation will be shown in the position window as well as in Routes
    *For mbtiles maps, move seamlessly between maps
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements