• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][1.6+] MM Tracker

Search This thread

the lemming

Feb 23, 2012
Hello

Just found this discussion which is too big to read from scratch, sorry.

Before Android Market changed to Google Play I bought MM Tracker and thoroughly enjoyed using it. I now have the problem of wanting to put it back onto my Tablet but can't find the app on Google.Play.

I have since discovered that the app will be delayed in its return to the Google.Play site.

Is there any way that I can get my copy of MM Tracker back?

Cheers

gscale

Mar 20, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hi MapMan! I bought MMTracker more than a year ago now and I still love it. I use it for geocaching and sailing, and it does the job pretty well.

I have some requests though, and I know you try to take them into account when possible, so I'll try with these ones:

- Sometimes, I need to create a waypoint quickly, but I could find an option to do it without entering the coordinates manually. Could you add a radio button, in the waypoint creation panel, to use the "current position", or automatically fill the fields with current position values (currently, the fields are empty). For example, I am somewhere, and I want to remember my position, in order to come back there later..

- Do you think you're gonna add the altitude feature by reading the .qed files? I gave you some java code last year to help you doing it, if you have questions about it, don't hesitate.

- Last question: I am using official geocaching application, and there is an option to use "external map service": when I select it, it proposes Google Maps and Yahoo! Maps. Is there a way to register your application as a "map service" under Android, so MMTracker could be open with arguments (in our case, coordinates) and center directly to that point and/or create a waypoint from these coordinates?

Thank you so much for your time. MMTracker is a great app, so keep updating it! Bon courage.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hello all,
if you are looking for MM Tracker in Google play and can not find it, it is because it was removed by request of Mr. Ray Badmonton from Memory-Map.

Here the content of his claim:
Memory-Map computer software and Ordnance
Survey map data. Copyright Memory-Map and Ordnance Survey. Both our own
(Memory-Map) and Ordnance Survey (HM Government) End User Licence
Agreements prohibit the copying or use of the Memory-Map formatted Ordnance
Survey map data outside of the official Memory-Map software applications.
The Map Man 'MM Tracker' suite of applications openly promotes the ability
to illegally copy and use said Memory-Map Ordnance Survey map data within
their application. Memory-Map is a registered trademark of EVO Distribution
Limited. Ordnance Survey is part of HM Government, UK.

I am currently clarifying this with Google.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi gscale,

you can long click somewhere on the map to create a waypoint at the klicked location or GPS position.
Using MM Tracker as a map target is already in development. But first i need to get MM Trackeronline again.

Regards,
Michael

gscale

Mar 20, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the answer, I'll try that as soon as I get MM Tracker back (I just ugraded to ICS, and I couldn't find it on Google Play after that).

The claim really sucks! Memory Map couldn't provide any app on Android for 2 years, and now they have one, they try to f*ck you and us at the same time.. And I think it's because your work is way better than what they did. Good luck with that problem. Long live to MM Tracker!

frumpy

Apr 11, 2009
Hello all,
if you are looking for MM Tracker in Google play and can not find it, it is because it was removed by request of Mr. Ray Badmonton from Memory-Map.

Here the content of his claim:
Memory-Map computer software and Ordnance
Survey map data. Copyright Memory-Map and Ordnance Survey. Both our own
(Memory-Map) and Ordnance Survey (HM Government) End User Licence
Agreements prohibit the copying or use of the Memory-Map formatted Ordnance
Survey map data outside of the official Memory-Map software applications.
The Map Man 'MM Tracker' suite of applications openly promotes the ability
to illegally copy and use said Memory-Map Ordnance Survey map data within
their application. Memory-Map is a registered trademark of EVO Distribution
Limited. Ordnance Survey is part of HM Government, UK.

I am currently clarifying this with Google.

Regards,
Michael

Wish you the best of luck in achieving a positive outcome Michael.

franktompson

Nov 8, 2007
Bath, England
Hi Michael,

Just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Note to ICS and now MM Tracker doesn't load.

I know you said you were looking at ICS but I thought I should let you know anyway.

Keep up the good work and the best of luck with the MemoryMap people.

Best wishes,

Frank T

frumpy

Apr 11, 2009
Hi Michael,

Just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Note to ICS and now MM Tracker doesn't load.

I know you said you were looking at ICS but I thought I should let you know anyway.

Keep up the good work and the best of luck with the MemoryMap people.

Best wishes,

Frank T

Not sure if this helps you, but just FYI it works fine on ICS for me on HTC HD2 and Galaxy Nexus.

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Not sure if this helps you, but just FYI it works fine on ICS for me on HTC HD2 and Galaxy Nexus.

99% of the app works for me on the Sensation ICS (Vi), only the compass and navigation arrows are missing for some reason.

Best of luck with those idiots at Memory Map, I can't see that they can win that argument as the app doesn't supply or copy any maps - but you're relying on Google being supportive, not something they are renowned for. If Memory Map had a more realistic business plan and sold the base maps for reasonable figures without tying people to their crap app they would do well. Instead they have to jump on any innovation and stop it, to protect their own mediocrity.

You might be better off offering to Google that you will remove all reference to memory map in the market advert, only referring to the use of .qct map files that the user already owns, or had produced themselves?

Last edited:

dosher

Dec 11, 2008
Bath
Just checking - is the app still installed but no longer working?

Or do you mean you can't find it on the market/play store?

Following the ICS install on my GNote a few weeks ago I reinstalled MM Tracker from the Play Store. Can't remember whether I tested to see whether it was launching or not, too busy installing and setting everything else up.

Since then I've installed 2 ICS ROM updates and used Titanium Backup to reinstall MM Tracker on each occasion. Only just noticed that MMT is failing to launch. Tried clearing cache and Dalvik but no change.

dosher

Dec 11, 2008
Bath
Did some testing and it's the latest (ICS) UK LQ2 ROM which is the problem for me on the Galaxy Note. Went back to (ICS) German LPY ROM and MM Tracker now works again.

dosher

Dec 11, 2008
Bath
How can one gain access to the ICS German LPY ROM?

You can download it directly from http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/

You'll need to login / create an account and then search: N7000. The Open Germany LPY ROM is about 20th down on the list

There's probably a link to the same ROM somewhere over on the XDA Galaxy Note forums. I'm already rooted so just pushed the extracted tar.md5 file accross to the internal sd card and then used Mobile Odin Pro to flash the new ROM.

Last edited:

franktompson

Nov 8, 2007
Bath, England
Many thanks dosher, that's very helpful.

I've visited and registered on the Sammobile.com site, but, of the 10 ICS ROMS apparently available for the Note, I can't find an 'Open German' one listed. The nearest LPY version is listed as 'Open Austria' (which appears to include Germany and UK). Would that one do the job?

With thanks,

Frank

mattyoh123

Jun 4, 2012
MM Tracker - just possibly the best android app...

Dear MapMan,

I've been a dedicated Memory Map user for nearly ten years both on PC and handheld, firstly on a selection of Toshiba PDA's then laterly on my HTC HD2 with WM6.5. I thought that was great but became increasingly frustrated at the lack of development. An iPhone app appeared but with nothing new over what I had so I stayed with my Windows phone, that is until my contract expired last week.
On discovering MM Tracker I decided to join the Android world with a new Samsung Galaxy S2...

All I can say is, "What was I thinking??? Why did I wait sooo long!!!!"

My previously most used app on WM has just been blown out the water by MM Tracker. It even does things like rotating map display that I was told by Memory Map would never be possible.

Having had the pleasure of using MM Tracker for a week I have now become greedy and want more....
Looking at your to do list the following may be low priority but they would make a great app better still!

1. Using Memory Map in North America there was an add-on that dragged in near live weather radar info as an overlay on the map. I asked Memory Map about this for the UK using the available data from the Met Office but got the usual brush off... Considering how important the weather is to us Brits this would be a great addition to MM Tracker.

2. On a similar theme having paid too much for the Pro version of Memory Map they had another add-on for AIS (Automatic Identification System) for live shipping positions on screen. I would be interested in seeing this in MM Tracker in the dim and distant future...

3.And finally, for all the cyclists out there the link with ANT+ devices would be good, but also, how about using the technology already in smart phones and recording slope angle(%) in the track and displaying it live on screen. I am convinced that some of those hills are steeper than the signs say and would love to find out when I get back home!

Thank you MapMan for all your hard work and I for one look forward to seeing what wonders you can work with MM Tracker in the future...

mattyoh

franktompson

Nov 8, 2007
Bath, England
Thanks to dosher's assistance I have now tried three ICS ROMS on the Samsung Galaxy Note, none of which worked with MM Tracker.

My advice if you value utilising MM Tracker on the SGN (and of course others may have a completely different experience!) is to stay with GB until Michael has had chance to fix it up for ICS.

Frank

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MM Tracker patch for JB 4.2

Attached is a patched version of MM Tracker 1.10.4 that should work on Android 4.2 , it does for me :)
    As it is signed with different keys to the original it can not be used to update an already installed MM tracker, you will have to uninstall any existing MMT.

Naf
    MM Tracker Current Version 1.10.6

Hello,

as Map Man is not developing any more on MM Tracker i decided to offer my support to at least keep the project alive for upcoming Android versions.
    Attached you can find the latest version 1.10.6 of MM Tracker which has not too many improvements, but will run on current Android versions.

Feel free to share and distrubute!

Cheers.
    MMTracker - 1.20.0

Please find attached

* 1.20.0 Android 11 release (backwards compatible to Android 4.4)
    *Allow Screen to stay on if power is connected (new default)
    *Power icon at bottom left of screen
    *If routepoints overlap, then only draw the first one. Helps with drawing routes on small scale maps
    *Show both km and miles on the tracking notification
    *New setting in 'Display Options' to allow the scale to always be metric, regardless of what the Distance Units are
    *Allow new button (turned on using User Interface settings), to allow 'Refresh Routes/Tracks/Waypoints'
    *Allow routes, tracks and waypoints to be shared
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements
    MMTracker - 1.19.6

Please find attached

* 1.19.6 Don't allow compass settings if the device doesn't have a compass
    * Always output <trkseg> element in the gpx file for a track
    * Tidy up notification handling in the tracking service
    MMTracker 1.21.0

*Cope with qct files which don't have a boundary defined
    *Allow Waypoints to be loaded from subfolders in the Waypoints directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *Allow Routes to be loaded from subfolders in the Routes directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *Now option 'View Route Data' to show basic information about the route with an option to show an elevation v distance graph
    *Allow Tracks to be loaded from subfolders in the Tracks directory. They will cease to be shown if you 'Refresh Tracks and Routes', or the app is restarted
    *For a selected Track, new option of 'Show Trackpoints' which will show the actual trackpoints. These can be selected individually and deleted. Useful for removing rogue points in a track
    *Elevation data will be automatically downloaded if you have a WiFi connection, and placed in a new Elevations directory within your Maps directory
    *If elevation data is available, the elevation will be shown in the position window as well as in Routes
    *For mbtiles maps, move seamlessly between maps
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements