[APP][1.6+] MM Tracker

Search This thread

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
While out today taking dog for walk i had mm tracker running from going to portait from landscape mmtracker crashed

Hi Fred,
did you have regular map view visible or some other screen like e.g. track data ? Did you enable tracking ? I would be interesetd in a report if you manage to reproduce this error.

Best regards,
Michael

MadStu

Sep 15, 2007
MadStu.net
Hi Stu,
the most "popular" reason for this kind of timeout is the process of gathering all map info when switching to a new map. This can happen by auto change of map by GPS lock or by e.g. "find map at position". Especially when there are several hundred of maps on your SD card this could take longer than Android is willing to wait ;). Do you think this could be the reason for your observation ?

Regards, Michael

I see, that makes sense.

I only have 3 map files on the SD card - however they are big areas so large file sizes which could have been the problem? I was on the edge of a map area when it happened so it could well be.

Cheers.
Stu :)

Searcher3

Apr 15, 2011
Hi Searcher3,
the dancing-issue would be my guess too. If you want to validate the length calculation of your track you could load it into e.g. Memory-Map PC software. The length of 5.8 miles should be calculated there too. If not i would be interested in a feedback.

Best regards, Michael

Having tested a bit more, setting the GPS tracking data rate to 10 seconds seems to have sorted the issue. The length of the track reported is more or less the same as the same roure plotted on the PC.

Just a question though - are the track lengths as if walked on horizontal ground or does it take account of inclines? For instance we've been up Pen-y-ghent today and it reported 8.8 miles.... but if this is the horizontal distance then I guess we have done nearer 10.

fredjones1uk

Feb 12, 2011
Runcorn
www.jonesfuk.webs.com
Hi Fred,
did you have regular map view visible or some other screen like e.g. track data ? Did you enable tracking ? I would be interesetd in a report if you manage to reproduce this error.

Best regards,
Michael

Hi Michael, i had regular map view visable and tracking was on, yesterday i repeated what i did when mm tracker crashed and had no problems, i have deleted 1gb of maps from my sd card so i don`t know if this has helped, if mm tracker crashes in future i will send report.

Still an excellant app

Kind regards

Fred

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
I only have 3 map files on the SD card - however they are big areas so large file sizes which could have been the problem?

Hi Stu,
acutally the size doesn't matter (this time ;)). The only thing which could lead to non responding map search are a lot of maps on your SD card (approx. > 50) and/or maps with complicated boundary definitions. Because MM Tracker calculates for every map boundary (which may be a n-edge-polygon) the "is at position" test.

Best regards, Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Just a question though - are the track lengths as if walked on horizontal ground or does it take account of inclines? For instance we've been up Pen-y-ghent today and it reported 8.8 miles.... but if this is the horizontal distance then I guess we have done nearer 10.

Hi Searcher3,
The calculation of length is just basing on the Lat/Lon positions. The height is not used in this calculation.
Best regards, Michael

gadgetuk437

Dec 29, 2006
Devon/Cornwall border, UK
For instance we've been up Pen-y-ghent today and it reported 8.8 miles.... but if this is the horizontal distance then I guess we have done nearer 10.
This tickled my interest.
My hunch was, it would not have made such a big difference as that.
And, for a change, I was right.

Let's say for argument's sake you walked from Horton in Ribblesdale at 230m, up to Pen-y-ghent at 694m.
I plotted a circular route and MM reported a total ascent of 470m (and, predictably, a descent of 470m too), on a 9,080m ground track.
For the sake of simplicity (and to keep Mr Pythagoras happy), think of it as walking the hypotenuse of two triangles of base 4,540m and height 470m.
(... insert squaring and square-rooting here...)
So, the hypotenuse up to Pen-y-ghent would be 4,564m.
Giving you a total of 9,128m walking the slope. The slope only added about 400m to the ground track.

It seems that, if you just add the height difference to the ground track, you get a pretty good approximation.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
It seems that, if you just add the height difference to the ground track, you get a pretty good approximation.

Hi gadgetuk437,
if i could acquire the altitude as exactly as the position i would agree to your calculation. But as the GPS altitude measurement is not that good i would rather go with the "flat" track calculation, instead of adding up some signals which are not too reliable.
When MM Tracker would use the QED file, this would be different. In this case i think the consideration of altitude values would make sense.
....Another reason to implement QED reading ;)

Best regards, Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Version 1.6.0 is online

Change Log:

• Feature added: Routes can be created and modified
  • Improvement: Navigation window keeps size even in landscape mode
  • Improvement: Blue crosshair for network position
  • Fix: Delete of Overlay object via context menu removes it now immediately from map

MadStu

Sep 15, 2007
MadStu.net
ok, I'm just getting lots of force close prompts now.

I've sent a few reports which I hope will reach you / help you.

In the reports, it says the cause was: ANR keyDispatchingTimedOut

And I realise now it might be because I'm running Android 2.3?

I have a Motorola Defy and MM Tracker runs perfectly on both 2.1 and 2.2 :)

Last edited:

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
ok, I'm just getting lots of force close prompts now.
I've sent a few reports which I hope will reach you / help you.
In the reports, it says the cause was: ANR keyDispatchingTimedOut

Hi Stu,

yes i saw your reports. Actually the "ANR keyDispatchingTimedOut" means that some thread was not responding for ~5 sec. and was killed by Android to safe the resources. But currently i have no clue what thread exactly was the bad guy and which function of MM Tracker is repsonsible. I will try to find someone who is able to read more out the failure report than i was able to do.
For your information: i had never this kind of error. So i am realy wondering what causes this. Maybe 2.3 ? Or your particular map ? Loaded Tracks or Routes ? Do you have now a suspicion which action causes this ? Or is it completely random ?

Best regards,
Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Compass issues

I am currently implementing the magnetic compass functionality in MM Tracker and found some strange behaviour of my Desire's compass.
Whenever i close any compass app, the compass will losse his calibration.
Next time i want to use the compass i have to calibrate it again with the common "figure-8-motion".
Even when i internally in MM Tracker unbind the SensorManager i have the same problem: Re-connnection to the compass results in the need for a re-calibration.

Does anybody have the same problem with his phone (especially Desire) ?
Is this a normal behaviour ?
Any solution available ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Michael

MadStu

Sep 15, 2007
MadStu.net
So i am realy wondering what causes this. Maybe 2.3 ? Or your particular map ? Loaded Tracks or Routes ? Do you have now a suspicion which action causes this ? Or is it completely random ?

Well, my suspicion lies with Android 2.3 as it worked perfectly on 2.1 and 2.2 - Every time I've run it on 2.3, I select "GPS lock" and then select "Screen Lock" and not long after I get the force close error pop up.

franktompson

Nov 8, 2007
Bath, England
Hi Michael,

I haven't used a compass for some time so downloaded the first one I came across in The Market, Compass v2.1 from Catch, Inc to try it for you on a different platform.

I've tried it for a couple of days (including some re-boots) and there's no need to do the figure-8-motion thing.

However, some months ago I used a different compass and it did require intermittent figure-of-eigthing. That was probably before I upgraded to Android 2.3.

I do hope you can crack the magnetic compass functionality - that would be truly awesome!

Regards,
Frank
Samsung Galaxy S
Darks ROM Extreme 9.0 (Android 2.3)

jedbartlet

Dec 2, 2010
Hi Michael,
When I first got my Desire I installed GPS Status and almost every time I opened it I was asked to recalibrate the compass. Waggling the phone 'enough' never seemed to stick. Eventually I just waggled the phone for ages and it stopped asking. Coincidence or not I can't say.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
I think i found the explanation here in the forum:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10208929

It seems that the G-Sensor calibration will set the access rights incorrectly for some calibration storage file.
Any compass calibration done after that will not be stored permanently.

So i will try to execute the described procedre and hopefully do not brick my Desire :D

Best regards,
Michael

EtenNewbie

Jun 11, 2007
Android 2.3.3

Hi,

Just to let you know, I upgraded my Galaxy S to Android 2.3.3 and MMTracker works perfectly.

Keep up the good work :)

Regards

Ian
--

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Thanks for the info Ian. I will add it to the compatibility list.

Hi Michael, when will you be releasing compass? can`t wait.

I think it will take at least another 10 days, as i have to spend my vacation first :D
But at least i can tell that it is working fine already, but needs some more testing....

Best regards, Michael

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MM Tracker patch for JB 4.2

Attached is a patched version of MM Tracker 1.10.4 that should work on Android 4.2 , it does for me :)
    As it is signed with different keys to the original it can not be used to update an already installed MM tracker, you will have to uninstall any existing MMT.

Naf
    MM Tracker Current Version 1.10.6

Hello,

as Map Man is not developing any more on MM Tracker i decided to offer my support to at least keep the project alive for upcoming Android versions.
    Attached you can find the latest version 1.10.6 of MM Tracker which has not too many improvements, but will run on current Android versions.

Feel free to share and distrubute!

Cheers.
    MMTracker - 1.20.0

Please find attached

* 1.20.0 Android 11 release (backwards compatible to Android 4.4)
    *Allow Screen to stay on if power is connected (new default)
    *Power icon at bottom left of screen
    *If routepoints overlap, then only draw the first one. Helps with drawing routes on small scale maps
    *Show both km and miles on the tracking notification
    *New setting in 'Display Options' to allow the scale to always be metric, regardless of what the Distance Units are
    *Allow new button (turned on using User Interface settings), to allow 'Refresh Routes/Tracks/Waypoints'
    *Allow routes, tracks and waypoints to be shared
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements
    MMTracker 1.24.0
    *Code changes required for Android 13
    *Automatically download A-GPS data
    *Allow route simplify from mapview route context menu
    *Show route length as an info line when a route is selected
    *Allow routes to be unsimplified and the simplification value to be changed
    *Allow routes to be split and joined
    *Allow search by Lat/Lng using Degree, Minute and Second
    *New User Interface setting - Ignore maps of the same scale
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements