[APP][1.6+] MM Tracker

Search This thread

fredjones1uk

Feb 12, 2011
Runcorn
www.jonesfuk.webs.com
Hi Micheal how do i uninstall/reinstall mmtracker i am not to technically minded. I have just been out and mmtracker works perfectly as before when i load maps manually, the problem seems to be the inital start up it will load map but do nothing else. i have looked at sdcard through my pc and all my tracks/routes are still there its just mmtracker does not see them on start up

Regards

Fred

Last edited:

jcjefferies

Sep 25, 2011
Viewsonic Viewpad 7

I bought MM Tracker several weeks ago to use on my Viewsonic Viewpad 7, a 7inch Android 2.2 tablet/phone. They are being sold at reduced price by Maplins and others as it has been replaced by an Android 3 version.

I used Memory Maps for several years on an old Navman Pocket PC running version 4 Windows but its not going to last much longer so have a set of OS maps of the area. I have been testing the settings walking up and down the road everything seems to work as expected. I used it for the first time on a proper walk this weekend and especially like the rotating map function which I never believed would work on a hand held device.

So you can add this device to the list that work. However I only ever use the moving map display centred to current location with tracking enabled and have no interest in knowing exactly how much I climbed on the walk.

frumpy

Apr 11, 2009
Hi Paul,
until the latest update, the actual speed values were not stored to GPX. That means after reloading the track, the velocities were calculated by way/time. This may have led to deviations. Furthermore there were a difference between the statistics of an active track (which used the GPS speed values for statistics) and the re-loaded track which had to use the calculated speed values. This was maybe the difference you observed.
The current version does not have the problem any more, as all tracks created with it have now speed values stored in the GPX. So there should be no difference any more between active track and loaded track.

Regarding ascent/descent: I am not totally sure how to calculate it. Just calc the difference of start_heigt and end_height ? Or sum up all positive and all negative height changes ? Or is there another common "formula" used in outdoor devices ?

Thanks for your help.
Michael
Yes - this option please: sum up all positive and all negative height changes (separately - obviously). Would be perfect! Thanks!

And thanks for the explanation on the different treatment of velocity in the previous versions.

cheers
Paul

Hi Michael, has the above from back in April been implemented yet? I'm not impatient, just curious.

thanks
Paul

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Micheal how do i uninstall/reinstall mmtracker i am not to technically minded. I have just been out and mmtracker works perfectly as before when i load maps manually, the problem seems to be the inital start up it will load map but do nothing else. i have looked at sdcard through my pc and all my tracks/routes are still there its just mmtracker does not see them on start up

Hi Fred,
did the latest version (1.9.1) solve this problem ? I would be interested in your feedback.

@Paul: Yes this is still planned to be implemented. But first i have some other features to work on. But thanks for the reminder. I will reconsider the priority ;)

@jcjefferies: Device added. Thanks for the info.

Best regards,
Michael

fredjones1uk

Feb 12, 2011
Runcorn
www.jonesfuk.webs.com
Hi Michael, i have sent you email here is a copy. I Can load tracks by overlay manager, no force close as before (new fix solved that problem) when gps locks on no cross hairs or direction of travel available and maps do not rotate in direction of travel, plus holding finger on screen does not bring up maps at position. Can do all above from load maps manager. Hopes this helps

Kind regards

Fred

jedbartlet

Dec 2, 2010
Hi Michael,
I use c:geo for geocaching. One of the navigation options I've recently found is 'Show on ext. map'.

At the moment this only gives me the options: Maps (Google's) & Radar (GPS Status)

Is it possible for MM Tracker to show up on this list? I assume it needs to be able to accept a location's long/lat coordinates from another application and advertise to the OS that it can do it?

It would be very handy to take the geocache coordinates and display the position on a detailed MM Ordinance Survey map at the click of a button.

Last edited:

ruderik

Oct 28, 2010
London
Hi Michael

I have upgraded my DHD to 2.3.5 and can no longer find the paid app in the market. The web version of the market states that it is incompatible with my device. I can still see the free version. It is the only app that I have been unable to reinstall. Not sure if this a Market or app issue.

I would also love to see more geocaching support for the app. In particular different icons for different cache types and icon links to online and offline cache description pages. I'm sure if you added the geocache tag to the app you would get a load more folks from the caching world stumping up too! :)

Thanks for all your hard work so far.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Michael, i have sent you email here is a copy. I Can load tracks by overlay manager, no force close as before (new fix solved that problem) when gps locks on no cross hairs or direction of travel available and maps do not rotate in direction of travel, plus holding finger on screen does not bring up maps at position. Can do all above from load maps manager. Hopes this helps.

Hi Fred,
i am still not able to imagine the source of your problem. So you definitevly have a GPS fix and can not see the crosshair ? What happens when you track? Do you see the track ? Are you sure that you enabled GPS on your phone and not network triangulation ?
Sorry i totaly don'tget it... :confused:
Regards, Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Is it possible for MM Tracker to show up on this list? I assume it needs to be able to accept a location's long/lat coordinates from another application and advertise to the OS that it can do it?
It would be very handy to take the geocache coordinates and display the position on a detailed MM Ordinance Survey map at the click of a button.

Nice idea. Will put it on the list.

@ruderik: Yes i have planned to add more geocaching support in future. Plan is to add icons and extend waypoints to display descriptions and comments.

Regards,
Michael

fredjones1uk

Feb 12, 2011
Runcorn
www.jonesfuk.webs.com
Hi Fred,
i am still not able to imagine the source of your problem. So you definitevly have a GPS fix and can not see the crosshair ? What happens when you track? Do you see the track ? Are you sure that you enabled GPS on your phone and not network triangulation ?
Sorry i totaly don'tget it... :confused:
Regards, Michael
Hi Michael, gps is enabled, when i use load map manager and select map everything works as it should, the problem is at start up when i click on mmtracker icon, a box appears saying loading tracks and routes when it has finished there is nothing there, if i touch screen routes appear, but no cross hairs when gps is locked on, this problem only happened when 1.9.0 was downloaded. hope this feedback helps. went out walking today used load map manager from menu and had no problems its just start up.

Regards Fred. PS reset my phone to factory settings redownloaded mmtracker, problem still the same, hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2007
Bath
Map data cache

Hi Michael,

I have upgraded to 1.9.3. Do I need to do anything to get the map cache to kick in as it is still very slow to show 'maps at position' if I have a lot of maps?

fredjones1uk

Feb 12, 2011
Runcorn
www.jonesfuk.webs.com
Hi Michael, gps is enabled, when i use load map manager and select map everything works as it should, the problem is at start up when i click on mmtracker icon, a box appears saying loading tracks and routes when it has finished there is nothing there, if i touch screen routes appear, but no cross hairs when gps is locked on, this problem only happened when 1.9.0 was downloaded. hope this feedback helps. went out walking today used load map manager from menu and had no problems its just start up.

Regards Fred. PS reset my phone to factory settings redownloaded mmtracker, problem still the same, hope this helps.
Hi Michael, problem with mmtracker on my phone fixed, downloaded latest version and everything is back to normal. Thanks

Kind regards

Fred

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Michael,
I have upgraded to 1.9.3. Do I need to do anything to get the map cache to kick in as it is still very slow to show 'maps at position' if I have a lot of maps?

the caching works in two ways. If you just start MM Tracker and do not use "map at position" or scale change a background thread is reading the data of a map every second. So after some minutes all data of all maps should be cached.
When you use "map at position" or scale change then MM Tracker has to scan all maps and will fill the cache immediately.
That means the first map change may be slower, but all following map changes can use the cached data and will be faster.
Anyhow, even with cached data MM Tracker has to scan the whole map folder for maps when "map at position" is requested. This can take some time and will not be speed up by the caching. The caching just avoids the calculation of the size of every map.

Regards, Michael

ruderik

Oct 28, 2010
London
Xoom

Hey Michael

Your app works very well on the Xoom. One small feature request (unless I have missed how to do it) is to be able to use the SD card directories for maps and the like. The internal memory is referenced by "sdcard" whilst the SD card uses "external1" - /mnt/external1.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hey Michael
Your app works very well on the Xoom. One small feature request (unless I have missed how to do it) is to be able to use the SD card directories for maps and the like. The internal memory is referenced by "sdcard" whilst the SD card uses "external1" - /mnt/external1.

This is a known problem with the XOOM with latest Android update. I try to fix this with the next release. Any feedback on this appreciated :)
Regards, Michael

ruderik

Oct 28, 2010
London
Excellent - look forward to the update - thanks.

WRT being unable to install my MM Tracker in my DHD, I had to sideload it from my Xoom - seems like the copy-protection is a problem on cooked ROMs..

frumpy

Apr 11, 2009
Phone is crashing

Hi Michael
on the more regular rides I go on, I usually track my route but don't look at the phone until the end of the ride.

Since I'm not sure when, maybe a month or thereabouts when I look at the phone I cannot make the display come back on.

The green LED seems to always be on, but I might be mistaken about that.

The hard keys illuminate but there is no way to switch the display back on.

I pull the battery, reboot and find that the phone has captured various lengths of my route, like today it captured only about 20 minutes, last week it captured about an hour and a half.

Is there any way that I can help troubleshoot the issue, like grab a log file from somewhere and send to you? Any suggestions?

thanks
Paul

HurricaneMike

May 23, 2011
the caching works in two ways. If you just start MM Tracker and do not use "map at position" or scale change a background thread is reading the data of a map every second. So after some minutes all data of all maps should be cached.
When you use "map at position" or scale change then MM Tracker has to scan all maps and will fill the cache immediately.
That means the first map change may be slower, but all following map changes can use the cached data and will be faster.
Anyhow, even with cached data MM Tracker has to scan the whole map folder for maps when "map at position" is requested. This can take some time and will not be speed up by the caching. The caching just avoids the calculation of the size of every map.

Regards, Michael

Hi Michael

Again, thanks for a great prog.

I've now got an Asus Transformer and a large microsdhc card so I tried to loaded some of my database of maps/nautical charts.
Unfortunately, during scaling (switching to different map/charts at the current position) your map caching is very slow.
Is there another way of doing things?

I do the same thing on my PC using Memory Map and its very fast.
Memory Map also shows the map outlines which is also useful when changing scales.

I'd like to start using MM Tracker on my boat but its important to be able to switch charts of different scales quickly. The only way I can find at the moment is to put a selection of the charts that I'm going to use into a separate temp folder/directory. Then I "point" MM Tracker's map folder to that temp directory. As long as there are less than about 50 charts, the app is useable. But to make the system easier to use, it would be simpler to point MM Tracker's Map Directory to a much bigger selection containing sub folders. For example, my main Map folder incluging the maps in the subfolders contains in excess of 2000 files/maps. All very doable with Memory Map on the PC.

Here's an example showing the kind of thing I'm doing

Outlines_Small.jpg

It would be great if you could find a way of managing a large number of files or speeding up your caching techniques?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MM Tracker patch for JB 4.2

Attached is a patched version of MM Tracker 1.10.4 that should work on Android 4.2 , it does for me :)
    As it is signed with different keys to the original it can not be used to update an already installed MM tracker, you will have to uninstall any existing MMT.

Naf
    MM Tracker Current Version 1.10.6

Hello,

as Map Man is not developing any more on MM Tracker i decided to offer my support to at least keep the project alive for upcoming Android versions.
    Attached you can find the latest version 1.10.6 of MM Tracker which has not too many improvements, but will run on current Android versions.

Feel free to share and distrubute!

Cheers.
    MMTracker - 1.20.0

Please find attached

* 1.20.0 Android 11 release (backwards compatible to Android 4.4)
    *Allow Screen to stay on if power is connected (new default)
    *Power icon at bottom left of screen
    *If routepoints overlap, then only draw the first one. Helps with drawing routes on small scale maps
    *Show both km and miles on the tracking notification
    *New setting in 'Display Options' to allow the scale to always be metric, regardless of what the Distance Units are
    *Allow new button (turned on using User Interface settings), to allow 'Refresh Routes/Tracks/Waypoints'
    *Allow routes, tracks and waypoints to be shared
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements
    MMTracker 1.24.0
    *Code changes required for Android 13
    *Automatically download A-GPS data
    *Allow route simplify from mapview route context menu
    *Show route length as an info line when a route is selected
    *Allow routes to be unsimplified and the simplification value to be changed
    *Allow routes to be split and joined
    *Allow search by Lat/Lng using Degree, Minute and Second
    *New User Interface setting - Ignore maps of the same scale
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements