[APP][1.6+] NV Calculator - for adding 2G/3G/4G bands to your phone

Search This thread

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Use to calculate Qualcomm NV items for adding GSM / WCDMA / LTE bands.

Do you want to add any GSM / WCDMA / LTE bands to your phone? Then use this app to calculate all needed NV items.

This app is only useful for phone with a Qualcomm chipset.
If you don't know how to add GSM / WCDMA / LTE bands to your phone, please refer to this thread. That thread is for S5 model, but the same principle is also applicable for many other phones, e.g. Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC, Nexus...

You also need some NV editor software (e.g. QPST, QXDM, EFS Professional...) on the PC to write these NV items to your phone.

>> NV items description:

- Adding GSM / WCDMA bands:

NV 01877 - RF Band Configuration
NV 00441 - Band Class Preference
NV 00946 - Expand Band Preference 16 to 32 Bits
NV 02954 - Bits 32 to 63 of Band Preference

- Adding LTE bands:

NV 06828 - LTE BC Configuration
NV 06829 - LTE BC Configuration DIV

DOWNLOAD: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.nvcalc

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 16,058
  • 02.png
    02.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 15,906
  • 03.png
    03.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 15,361
  • 04.png
    04.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 13,038
  • 05.png
    05.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 12,473
  • 06.png
    06.png
    205 KB · Views: 12,323
  • 07.png
    07.png
    208 KB · Views: 11,966
  • 08.png
    08.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 11,345
Last edited:

phred14

Aug 17, 2014
Burlington, Vt
I'm intersted in Qualcomm NV access, but not for cell band issues. There appear to be GPS issues with some Samsung phones, and there is some indication that those issues are related to a NV "privacy flag". Apparently older ROMs can turn this bit on and off, but newer ROMs don't - whatever value was left there is "stranded" there. There are people flashing back to CM10.x, setting this bit, then flashing back to CM11. I'm presuming that what is really happening is that they're tweaking this on NV location.

If we could simply read the NV location, we could compare its value to GPS functionality, and see if this is really the issue.
If the above is true, and if we could simply write this one NV location, we'd have a heck of a lot simpler GPS fix.

Anunak

Dec 1, 2011
Thanks, vndnguyen, for your app. And it would be very nice if you add CDMA bands to your app. Thanks again.

retr13

Nov 22, 2012
if i am interested in enabling umts bands in somewhat old msm7227a based motorola, running gb 2.3.7, with no custom recovery, no custom roms or anything, but rooted.
should i even try?

Last edited:

xdax1

Aug 27, 2009
Hong Kong
thanks for making this, i wonder if my Snapdragon 600 on LG G Pro E988 can use this to enable China's TD WCDMA and TD LTE, since FDD is kinda different than TDD

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

Do you want to add any GSM / WCDMA / LTE bands to your phone? Then use this app to calculate all needed NV items.

Got a question. I found a discrepancy in your calculator.... Your NV calculator values do not match the NV value of the LTE bands my phone already has. So, how can I trust the calculator to give me correct values for additional bands I wish to enable?

It's at the bottom of this post, but I am putting a lot of information about my phone first, so you know the whole situation.

I have 5.2" 1440p, 3GB RAM Moto Maxx (XT1225), which has Snapdragon 805 -- same as the (Motorola) Nexus 6. In fact it was being tested by Google to be the Nexus 6 (or a Nexus 6 variant) as late as mid-August -- but Google decided to go with the larger size variant and only the larger size variant.

Motorola re-purposed this phone as the Verizon Droid Turbo (XT1254) in the USA and as the Moto Maxx (XT1225) now being sold in a handful of Latin America countries. We already have root, TWRP recovery.

When this phone was being tested by the FCC, it had these LTE bands:

nexus-6-fcc-specs_zps560cc057.png

But now being sold as the Moto Maxx (SAME FCC ID number), Motorola enabled more GSM bands and changed one of the LTE bands.
They disabled LTE band 5 (a minor AT&T LTE band), and enabled LTE band 3 (which is used more in Latin America countries).

FCC_IHDT56PK2_MOTOMAXX_zps7148e025.jpg

764bfaa0-300d-4949-a225-df95936b8fe8_zps6016441d.png

QPST confirms the 2G/3G bands Motorola now claims for this phone:

unlockLTEbands2_zps5a242737.png

Which means the LTE bands they now claim (2, 3, 4, 7, 17) are also probably correct.

Again this phone has the SAME FCC ID NUMBER. And as it's being sold in Puerto Rico (U.S. territory), that is very important. That means there's been no hardware change since U.S. FCC certification -- only software change.

Motorola also promises it has the SAME HARDWARE (including antenna) that the Droid Turbo (XT1254) has (even though the Droid Turbo has a different FCC ID number):

fcc-same-device_zpse29a1c5a.jpg

This is also important. It means really, Motorola could not sell the Moto Maxx (XT1225) in Puerto Rico (U.S. territory) under that FCC ID number if any radio-specific hardware had been changed at all.

Thus, we know the additional GSM bands, change in the LTE bands by Motorola was software modem change.

With me so far?

In QXDM NV browser, in Line 6828, the XT1225 phone showed a value of 65630 (for LTE bands 2, 3, 4, 7, 17).

enableltebands6_zpse0b5e1c5.png

Yet, according to your app, with THESE LTE BANDS enabled (2,3,4,7,17)...
764bfaa0-300d-4949-a225-df95936b8fe8_zps6016441d.png

it should be THIS value: 65614.

Screenshot_2015-01-10-12-56-59_zps93628e55.png

Now I admit that's CLOSE, but it's not the same.

Therefore, how do I trust the calculator to let me enable MORE bands if this default number does not match in your calculator?

I have edited the values of that line to theoretically enable more LTE bands, but if the beginning number from the phone does not match what your calculator number says, then what exactly have I enabled?

Last edited:
Reactions: mazyar244

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Now the discrepancy...
. . . . .

Therefore, how do I trust the calculator to let me enable MORE bands if this default number does not match in your calculator?

I have edited the values of that line to theoretically enable more LTE bands, but if the beginning number from the phone does not match what your calculator number says, then what exactly have I enabled?

Thank you for your patience for a such long post :)
But the problem was too simple.

Code:
If supporting LTE Bands are [COLOR="Blue"]2, 4, 5, 7, 17[/COLOR]: 
NV 6828 = [COLOR="Red"]65,626[/COLOR]

If supporting LTE Bands are [COLOR="Blue"]2, 3, 4, 7, 17[/COLOR]: 
NV 6828 = [COLOR="Red"]65,614[/COLOR]

If supporting LTE Bands are [COLOR="Blue"]2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 17[/COLOR]:
NV 6828 = [COLOR="Red"]65,630[/COLOR]

I don't how how many bands does your phone support. But if the value of NV 6828 in the QXDM NV browser is 65,630, that phone should support the following bands: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 17.

There is NO discrepancy here.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

Code:

I don't how how many bands does your phone support. But if the value of NV 6828 in the QXDM NV browser is 65,630, that phone should support the following bands: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 17.

So, you are saying the phone supports LTE band 5 out of the box, even though Moto only lists 2,3,4,7,17 on the retail specs?

That after FCC testing they only enabled additional LTE Band 3, but did not disable LTE band 5?

If so, that's interesting.

Last edited:

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
Only to get you correct: this mod is only to extend the range of usable LTE/GSM bands for roaming, not to extend your connectivity while using your default provider in your home country (e.g. to get better coverage in areas where your default provider has a low signal strenght), right?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Only to get you correct: this mod is only to extend the range of usable LTE/GSM bands for roaming, not to extend your connectivity while using your default provider in your home country (e.g. to get better coverage in areas where your default provider has a low signal strenght), right?
Or when changing from one carrier to another in the same country. Many carriers lock down bands the phone could receive, because they want the phone to only be used on their network.

Reactions: Portgas D. Ace

sweetandsoursauce

Jan 15, 2015
Okay so I'm not really understanding the whole idea behind this. I have a Sony Xperia Z(C6603) and my phone already supports the LTE bands(LTE_BC1, LTE_BC3, LTE_BC5, LTE_BC7, LTE_BC8, LTE_BC20). My problem is that by default my phone and service provider should be able to have LTE working since my service provider also supports LTE band 4 and 7 on their network but upon choosing LTE network modes it has no reception at all, only 3G and HSPA. So I'm assuming I need to do additional unlocking here on my end for my phone but am not really sure why.

I'm able to access through the hidden menu of *#*#4636#*#* and change radio bands and network modes:

Y7sk8QU.jpg

vjStCnp.jpg

But I haven't changed the radio band and tested it yet because I don't know what the outcome will be and if there are any risks or hard bricking of it and don't know how to revert back to default. My service provider's network supports LTE band 4(2100MHz) and band 7(2600MHz). Would I need to go through QXDM to have these 2 frequencies enabled on my phone? Because I noticed how from the radio band list of my phone shows Euro Band which ends up to be 2600MHz but I'm not sure if that's how to enable LTE because it's Euro radio band. Am I okay as it is with my phone's default radio band and just unlock band 4 and 7 somehow through QXDM? Sorry I'm just really clueless and don't want to risk hard bricking my one and only phone.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Okay so I'm not really understanding the whole idea behind this. I have a Sony Xperia Z(C6603) and my phone already supports the LTE bands(LTE_BC1, LTE_BC3, LTE_BC5, LTE_BC7, LTE_BC8, LTE_BC20). My problem is that by default my phone and service provider should be able to have LTE working since my service provider also supports LTE band 4 and 7 on their network but upon choosing LTE network modes it has no reception at all, only 3G and HSPA. So I'm assuming I need to do additional unlocking here on my end for my phone but am not really sure why.

I'm able to access through the hidden menu of *#*#4636#*#* and change radio bands and network modes:

Y7sk8QU.jpg

vjStCnp.jpg

But I haven't changed the radio band and tested it yet because I don't know what the outcome will be and if there are any risks or hard bricking of it and don't know how to revert back to default. My service provider's network supports LTE band 4(2100MHz) and band 7(2600MHz). Would I need to go through QXDM to have these 2 frequencies enabled on my phone? Because I noticed how from the radio band list of my phone shows Euro Band which ends up to be 2600MHz but I'm not sure if that's how to enable LTE because it's Euro radio band. Am I okay as it is with my phone's default radio band and just unlock band 4 and 7 somehow through QXDM? Sorry I'm just really clueless and don't want to risk hard bricking my one and only phone.
Your provider supports LTE bands 4 and 7. Of those two, your phone can receive LTE band 7, but you don't see it. Are you sure LTE band 7 is in your area?

My carrier supports five different LTE bands (and my phone can receive them all), but in my area I only see two of those LTE bands. The others are not used in this area by my carrier (AT&T).

Last edited:

sweetandsoursauce

Jan 15, 2015
Your provider supports 4 and 7. Your phone supports 7, but you don't see it. Are you sure 7 is in your area?

My carrier supports 5 LTE bands, but in my area I only see two. The others are not in this area.

Yeah my carrier supports band 4 and 7 in my area, the towers are everywhere.

I checked it using this website: http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

both 2100/2600 are within all the cellular towers in my area.

edit: so if I'm able to choose LTE network mode on my phone, does that mean the LTE network mode consists of all these frequencies of LTE_BC1, LTE_BC3, LTE_BC5, LTE_BC7, LTE_BC8, LTE_BC20? So everytime I change to LTE only or LTE/GSM etc etc, automatically my phone has 2100MHz and 2600MHz included? Which means I don't need QXDM to unlock anything further? It might just be a sim card defect or something maybe. Sorry I'm just trying to understand more

Last edited:

kolpa06

Mar 20, 2011
Hi
I am trying to use a US note 3 (n900a) on Europe, but I frequently lose connectivity (although bars are full). The only solution I found is to fix wcdma to 2100 freq, however this also means that I lose reception when there is only GSM coverage.

This app seems to be the ultimate solution for me to calculate a custom NV for GSM+wcdma2100. Am I right?

If so, may I use a NV writer without a box, by just using my usb cable?

Thanks a lot

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Update v1.0.6:

- Fix UI issue on some devices.
- Remove the word 'Qualcomm' in the app's title to avoid violation of the Content Policy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This app is only useful for phone with a Qualcomm chipset.
    If you don't know how to add GSM / WCDMA / LTE bands to your phone, please refer to this thread. That thread is for S5 model, but the same principle is also applicable for many other phones, e.g. Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC, Nexus...

You also need some NV editor software (e.g. QPST, QXDM, EFS Professional...) on the PC to write these NV items to your phone.

>> NV items description:

- Adding GSM / WCDMA bands:

NV 01877 - RF Band Configuration
    NV 00441 - Band Class Preference
    NV 00946 - Expand Band Preference 16 to 32 Bits
    NV 02954 - Bits 32 to 63 of Band Preference

- Adding LTE bands:

NV 06828 - LTE BC Configuration
    NV 06829 - LTE BC Configuration DIV

DOWNLOAD: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.nvcalc
    Update v1.0.5:

- Fix UI issue on some devices.
    - Add separate notation settings for GSM/WCDMA and LTE calculation. You should not change the default settings unless you know what you are doing.
    I have to agree with the assessment in http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s5/general/how-to-add-rf-lte-frequency-bands-to-t2886059, that is I think you have a minor problem with the calculator. It's not so much an error, as it is kind of making it confusing to the user.

Here's an example: to enable LTE channels 1,2,4,7,12,13,17 we need to turn on the following bits: 0000 0001 0001 1000 0100 1011 or 0x01184B which is decimal 71755

Byte-reversed it is 0x4b1801 which is decimal 4 921 345. Your drop-down menu offers Decimal /Hexadecimal / Byte-swapped. But what one really needs is the number to be entered into the QXDM fields 06828 and 06829, which is Byte-swapped, decimal equivalent, in this case 4 921 345, which of course your calculator does not offer. This is an unfortunate mis-feature.

I suggest you modify the interface to include this option, or simply show both numbers (decimal and hex), side-by-side, and have a radio button to select byte-swapped as an option.

Otherwise, quite handy, thanks!
    Now the discrepancy...
    . . . . .

Code: