[APP][1.6+] SD Maid - System cleaning tool

Search This thread

florincristea

Dec 25, 2011
Bacău
Samsung Galaxy S22
Tocmai l-am încărcat lateral pe televizorul meu Samsung și, în timp ce se va încărca/se va deschide, se pare că nu este complet funcțional, cel puțin pentru funcțiile de curățare.

Ar fi grozav dacă compatibilitatea este extinsă la televizoare, dar, dacă nu, este bine și pentru mine.
Cu siguranță peste nivelul meu de plată în ceea ce privește ceea ce ar necesita, bănuiesc că este un proces foarte implicat pentru a explora dincolo de telefoane și tablete, în special cu platformele TV non-Google (Samsung Tizen/LG's Web OS, etc.....).
Mod edit - translated by https://www.deepl.com/translator:
He can't help it, the post was addressed to the developer! The app only works on Android TVs... Philips, Sony, Panasonic without Samsung, LG, etc that use proprietary operating systems!
Nu are ce face, postarea era adresata dezvoltatorului! Aplicatia functioneaza doar pe televizoare cu sistem de operare Android... Philips, Sony, Panasonic fara Samsung, LG, etc care folosesc sisteme de operare private!

Last edited by a moderator:

KOLIOSIS

Nu are ce face, postarea era adresata dezvoltatorului! Aplicatia functioneaza doar pe televizoare cu sistem de operare Android... Philips, Sony, Panasonic fara Samsung, LG, etc care folosesc sisteme de operare private!
We'll, you didn't state your TV's O/S, nor, did you address the question directly to the developer.
This is a forum, where we all try to help each other, it's not a new concept.
So, if you're wanting to ask a specific question to a specific person, that's fine & please do so & check your attitude at the door with your "!"......

EDIT:
@florincristea

OK,I stand corrected,I see the OS of your television & I humbly apologize for the oversight.
However,I do have a Chromecast w/Google TV installed & as w/you,the SD Maid app is not listed.
I did side-load the app,but,as I previously stated,it does not work properly.
Perhaps if you PM the developer,or,go to the support listing in the app for inquiries,I'm sure he'll be able to give you some definitive answers regarding support/development for Android/Google TV.

Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Mod edit - translated by https://www.deepl.com/translator:
He can't help it, the post was addressed to the developer! The app only works on Android TVs... Philips, Sony, Panasonic without Samsung, LG, etc that use proprietary operating systems!
@florincristea

As courtesy, I've translated your post above. With reference to rule no. 4 of the XDA Forum Rules, please post in English or add at least an English translation to your Romanian posts. Thanks for your cooperation!
4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Dark3n

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2007
twitter.com
Thanks ! Great job! I was able to give access to the SD card but, I run SDmaid pro, why can't it find Trash - 0 items can be freed) Is this normal?

5.3.1 still has a bug where it shows less than expected results on rooted device.
SD Maid tries to use the least amount of privileges for every operation.
So the detection for what access type to use says "normal" for /storage/emulated/0 but...
On Android 11/12 that only gets us the public storage without Android/data|obb
SD Maid would have to use root to scan the storage so data|obb is included.
Will be fixed in 5.3.2

SD Maid already supports normal Android TV devices. There were even tickets Github for enabling ACS support for some TVs, that I implemented.
It's not listed in Google Play because they have some convoluted requirements to be able to be listed as "compatible", due to the small amount of TV users, I have not allocated time to doing that.

I just side-loaded it to my Samsung TV & while it will load/open up,it apparently isn't fully functional, at least for the cleaning functions.

That would be cool if compatibility is expanded to TVs, but, if not, that's fine with me as well.
Definitely above my pay grade as to what that would require, guessing it's a very involved process to delve beyond phones & tablets, especially with non-Google TV platforms (Samsung's Tizen/LG's Web OS, etc.....).

SD Maid supports Android TV, well basically anything that looks like an Android device underneath the UI (filesystems).
Supporting Tizen/Web are not like Android in any way AFAIK, so that is completely out of scope, that'd be like supporting iOS.

HI dear, i've bought premium version, how can I "disinstall" the pro activator?
Needs to stay installed, also see:

KOLIOSIS

5.3.1 still has a bug where it shows less than expected results on rooted device.
SD Maid tries to use the least amount of privileges for every operation.
So the detection for what access type to use says "normal" for /storage/emulated/0 but...
On Android 11/12 that only gets us the public storage without Android/data|obb
SD Maid would have to use root to scan the storage so data|obb is included.
Will be fixed in 5.3.2

SD Maid already supports normal Android TV devices. There were even tickets Github for enabling ACS support for some TVs, that I implemented.
It's not listed in Google Play because they have some convoluted requirements to be able to be listed as "compatible", due to the small amount of TV users, I have not allocated time to doing that.

SD Maid supports Android TV, well basically anything that looks like an Android device underneath the UI (filesystems).
Supporting Tizen/Web are not like Android in any way AFAIK, so that is completely out of scope, that'd be like supporting iOS.

THX for responding to all of us,much appreciated.

TBH, I hadn't even given it much thought to load SD Maid on any TV.

I loaded it up on my Tizen-powered Samsung TV via Chromecast for Google TV, just to try it out, see if it would work. (Wasn't expecting it to, being a Tizen O/S, just as you mentioned w/the IOS analogy).

I'll definitely give it a go when/if I get a TV with Android/Google TV built-in as the O/S.
Sad thing is, on most TV's, there's not much to actually keep clean, the available storage is a pitiful amount as it is (less expansion via external memory/storage stick).

Again, THX for chiming in & for your long-term support of this app. ✌️

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
THX for responding to all of us,much appreciated.

TBH, I hadn't even given it much thought to load SD Maid on any TV.

I loaded it up on my Tizen-powered Samsung TV via Chromecast for Google TV, just to try it out, see if it would work. (Wasn't expecting it to, being a Tizen O/S, just as you mentioned w/the IOS analogy).

I'll definitely give it a go when/if I get a TV with Android/Google TV built-in as the O/S.
Sad thing is, on most TV's, there's not much to actually keep clean, the available storage is a pitiful amount as it is (less expansion via external memory/storage stick).

Again, THX for chiming in & for your long-term support of this app. ✌️
Functions just fine on Google's Chromecast 4th Generation running Google TV [Android TV OS].

Reactions: KOLIOSIS

Dark3n

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2007
twitter.com
Hi, in Version 5.3.8 i lost widget and pro. Is it bug or I did something wrong? I changed my phone a week ago.
Thanks

There are 3 ways of upgrading, any kind of "i lost pro", without additional details, is completely useless to me.

In 99% of cases that I check, it's related to a Google Play issue on your device, if you are sure that it is not an issue on your end, record a debuglog and share it with me.

Dzepar

Feb 12, 2011
Sony Xperia 10 III
There are 3 ways of upgrading, any kind of "i lost pro", without additional details, is completely useless to me.

In 99% of cases that I check, it's related to a Google Play issue on your device, if you are sure that it is not an issue on your end, record a debuglog and share it with me.
Thanks for your reply.
You are right. I cleaned data to Google Play store and services and when i reopen Play Store, Sd Maid show Pro status and widget is back.
Sorry for wasting your time :(.
Have a great day/night. :)

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
guys i just found out, that sdmaid has sth like app control. and that there are a lot of apps that are running upon boot up, that shouldnt be. how can i take them from autoboot?

thanks much!

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
guys i just found out, that sdmaid has sth like app control. and that there are a lot of apps that are running upon boot up, that shouldnt be. how can i take them from autoboot?

thanks much!
In the app overview you can already recognise if "autoboot" is enabled or disabled. Go into a specific app and then to "Receiver Manager". There you can disable (or enable) the broadcast receiver that shows "BOOT_COMPLETED".

Screenshot_20211208-141438_SD_Maid.pngScreenshot_20211208-141452_SD_Maid.pngScreenshot_20211208-141502_SD_Maid.png

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
In the app overview you can already recognise if "autoboot" is enabled or disabled. Go into a specific app and then to "Receiver Manager". There you can disable (or enable) the broadcast receiver that shows "BOOT_COMPLETED".

thanks man! already did that. i reckon that a lot of those apps i don't want to have running in the background will pop up as soon as another receiver handle (that is not boot_completed) is triggered, if i dont disable them either. what are handles that are safe to disabled with apps that just need to perform when and as long as i run them in the foreground?

and will those settings survive an upp update?

Dark3n

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2007
twitter.com
I think I will remove the Autostart label, it's confusing people.

Just because an app has an ON_BOOT receiver does not mean that it will run in the background, the boot receiver is limited to 10 seconds execution time.

It's not advisable to just go and disable these. You are breaking the apps in ways you don't understand. Android does not work like Windows.

Please read

saphta

Sep 10, 2013
Toronto
@Dark3n

Hello, I have a weird issue. Lineage OS v18.1 on One Plus One phone. Rooted with Magisk v23.
I granted all permissions to SD Maid, one thing is not working, deleting system apps. I can stop them, I can freeze them but if I try deleting, it shows it's deleting the app but after refresh the app is back in the list. I tried 3 ROM's with the same result.

Any ideas?

P.S. I've tried it on my Nexus 4 with Carbon Rom Android 10 and I have the same issue.

Last edited:

CaptCavey

Jan 17, 2022
I've had SD Maid for years, the paid for pro version. After the last 3 or 4 android versions it quit doing anything. Android 12 has SD MAID absolutely doing nothing. I am ready to uninstall it for the first since my Note 4. My Note 20 5g isn't getting any benefit what so ever. It has become a zero app. Well that just looks like the end for old SD Maid. Anyone else feel the same or experiencing the same?

Yeah SD Maid is a complete failure now, agreed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    Ive started working on a tool to clean up after apps (inspired by this thread).

Nobody is perfect and android neither.
    Apps you have already deleted sometimes leave data behind.
    The system constantly creates logs, crash reports and debug files you don't really need.
    The market leaves temporary files of downloaded apps behind.
    Lets not go on here...

SD Maid is a universal file tool that helps you keep your device neat and tidy.

Features
    • Storage overview
    • Root explorer & search
    • Find & remove left over files from uninstalled apps
    • Freeze, Uninstall, Export or kill apps
    • Toggle autstart entries
    • Find & delete common unnecessary files
    • Clean applications by removing various cache files without loosing any data
    • Find & delete duplicate files
    • Overview over biggest files/directories on your device
    • Optimize your SQL databases
    • Show last modified files
    • and more...

Installation instructions
    * Install this like any other app.
    * If your device is rooted, you will be asked if you want to grant SD Maid root permission upon its first launch
    * It is up to you what you choose, in each case SD Maid will make best possible use of its features.
    * Have the SuperUser application remember this choice, repeated prompts can cause unexpected behavior

Download links
    SD Maid can either be downloaded from Google Play or direct from my server, appropriate links are collected here. The unlocker for SD Maid Pro can currently only be obtained through Google Play. I really recommend to only use these two sources. If you can't verify that the apk files are original you may put your device at risk.

Changelog
    A detailed changelog can be found on Github and most update release posts also contain some explanation of what's new.

Bugs / Requests
    Please use the issue tracker for any kind of bug reports or feature requests for both SD Maid stable & beta. I'll also discuss issues else where but usually a lot of helpful information gets lost if it's not organised, so I prefer the issue tracker :).

Beta testing
    If you are interested in beta versions and want to help test new features you can find the appropriate links here There is also some discussion in SD Maids G+ community.

Translations
    If you want to help translate look here: SD Maid @ crowdin.com
    Thank you!

Help document
    See sdmaid.darken.eu/help

Privacy
    See sdmaid.darken.eu/privacy

XDA:DevDB Information
    SD Maid - System Cleaning Tool, App for the Android General

Contributors
    Dark3n

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: -
    Stable Release Date: 1969-12-31

Created 2014-06-02
    Last Updated 2017-08-15
    How to help me troubleshoot your issues

Please see here for instructions on how to best report bugs:
    https://github.com/d4rken/sdmaid-public/wiki/Reporting-a-bug
    Weekend beta v4.3.0 brings a truckload of core improvements.

Here are the links if you just want to dive in:

http://sdmaid.darken.eu/download
    http://sdmaid.darken.eu/changelog
    http://sdmaid.darken.eu/issues

Some notes:
    • Tools will now display 'allocated size' instead of 'apparent size'. Allocated size is the size an item actually takes up on your storage (i.e. a 1 byte file actually uses 4096 byte on storage). Apparent size is a files length, how large the file itself tells us it is (i.e. a file may say it is 8096 byte long, but actually only takes up 4096 byte). A big source for discrepancy between sizes are caused by "sparse-files", these are files that contains a lot of 0000000. If the file system supports it, a sparse file of length 1GB could be saved on a 1MB storage. I think we are mainly interested in size on our storage (allocated size), not how much data something uses when sending it over network (apparent size). This will be most noticeable with the AppCleaner (which will show larger amounts because of many small files) and the SystemCleaner (which will show smaller ammounts, due to thumbnails often being sparse files). The Explorer will show both sizes if they differ, format 'allocated size (apparent size)'.
    • SD Maid now ships with toybox instead of busybox. Toybox is smaller and it fixes an issue I had with busybox. It's debatable whether toybox is faster, but looking it's code it is at least a lot leaner. Toybox is also something that all future Android versions will ship which gives us a lot of room for good compatibility on future Android ROMs (e.g. if we have to use the system toybox binary instead of SD Maids own). Busybox was not installed in most ROMs. Why not both? SD Maid is now compatible with both toybox and busybox, and will fallback to a busybox on your system if that is what it takes to run without issue on your device. Maxium compatibility :)!
    • If you have root SD Maid will no longer ask for secondary storage permission. There were too many problems with people on chinese (rooted) ROMs that did not manage to grant the permission. You can still grant it manually via advanced settings. In theory, i thought performance should be better with secondary storage permissions through the storage access framework, but I couldn't actually measure it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • You will probably never see the 'BUSYBOX error' page again because this only happens with root and SD Maid will now give up root if it would otherwise mean showing the error and giving up.
    • AppControl doesn't load app sizes by default anymore and is thus much faster. Also has improved filtering options (right side drawer).
    • The tool "Biggest" is now called "Storage analyzer" and has been completely rewritten.
    • Explorer now supports unpacking any type of 'zip' files (.zip, .apk etc) (without root for now).
    • The LastModified tool is gone (bye!), and the Searcher now has options for minimum and maximum age (hi!).
    • There is a new (better?) clutter reporter tool which uses GitHub. Let me know how it works and what I can improve, clutter reports is what gets us closer and closer to a 100% detection rate.
    • Besides dozen of bugfixes, there have also been multiple core changes that attempt to improve performance of SD Maid by reusing objects and making data lookups faster.
    • Not that you can see it, but many of the changes made it also a lot easier for me to better write unit tests for modules of SD Maid :cool:

All unit tests, I currently have, passed, but due to the amount of changes and changes to the core structure, I expect a few bugs, so this is a beta only release. Catching them and adding more tests is what a beta is for though, right :)? (give the issue tracker some love!)
    I made some good progress on the weekend so SD Maid v4.10.0 is here.

This update is dedicated to the duplicates tool and a beta-only release.

Let's start with the biggest change: The previous autoselection dialog is gone and SD Maid now performs an automatic selection based on a set of criterias you can adjust. So now you press the autoselection button and it just happens.

The previous dialog allowed you to select one and only one type of criterion to select files by. There isn't really a right and a wrong way to do that, but based on many mails I received there is certainly a popular preference. I've put these preferences as "defaults" into an extra screen (check the option menu) which you can adjust.

Currently we have the following defaults:

- Priority 1: Media Provider, try to keep files that are indexed by the Media Storage app and try to delete those that are not indexed. The most common type of support mail I get is people complaining that SD Maid deleted their images, because they only look in the gallery app, they think SD Maid deleted them all, but the remaining copy is just in a space that is not indexed.

- Priority 2: Storage location, assuming the user has an extra sdcard, try to keep the files on the sdcard and delete the files in internal storage. The assumption is that the user always wants to free space on internal storage.

- Priority 3: Path nesting, we prefer to keep shallowly nested files as those are easier to find and access.

- Priority 4: Modification date, we prefer older files because we assume that the newer file is an unwanted copy. E.g. older picture comes from the camera app, while the newer picture is a copy from an instant messenger app.

I'm looking for feedback whether you think this is the optimal default setup.

You can also find these details in the wiki: https://github.com/d4rken/sdmaid-public/wiki/Duplicates

The second new feature is "pruning media storage references". It's a not too rare occurence that apps show empty/grey thumbnails for image files that have been deleted, because the media storage database still contains a reference. SD Maid will now check the database for references to images deleted by the duplicates tool and then delete those references.

There have also been various changes to the user interface. I'm slowly changing some of SD Maids core UI architecture to allow for a more responsive UI interaction. The duplicates tool is just the first tool getting this treatment. The UI should lag less on low end devices and it should also no longer freeze when running selection on thousands of files. Play a bit around with the autoselection, using single click/long click on items and let me know how it goes.

I've also added a box that shows the task result prominently. Task results were previously rather hidden away (navdrawer, startpage, notifications) and you couldn't easily view them in the actual tool they belong too, which is a bit backwards, isn't it? I plan to add this "task result box" to other tools too. With more space to display infos we can then also make the result messages a bit more detailed.

Some texts such as the selection criterion explanations are not translatable yet as I'm looking for your feedback on the wording. Is it clear what each option? Please let me know.

Oh and the duplicates settings have been moved into their own file and gotten a "reset to default" option, once the other tools get this we can finally have a nice and clean backup option for settings :).

There have been a few other changes, but I think this is enough wall of text. Check the changelog ;).

v4.10.1 is out.

I've fixed reported crashes (thx @IronTechmonkey ) and spend time rewriting quick access and other progress related feedback to improve performance. In some case there were multiple dozen callbacks per second which just wasted UI resources. I've limited this to ~70ms update intervals which is about the lower edge of delay at which humans can notice motion.

Using ConstraintLayout I've also made several UI hierarchies flatter which should also improve performance when redrawing elements to display progress updates.

Now that the duplicate criteria screen no longer crashes, I'm looking for some feedback on the texts/wording of each option before they are made translateable.