APP ❯ TWRP ❯❯ Tipatch • Backup internal storage • v1.6

Tarv

Jul 19, 2011
Winnipeg
Flashed to Pixel, TWRP looks correctly modified. Did backup, data backup was larger, looks good.
Wiped phone and rebooted, confirmed wiped.
Tried to restore several ways, the phone just seems to bootloop now. Tried to wipe again, still in a bootloop.

Will keep trying to recover, but just curious, what is the proper way to RESTORE? What should I check off exactly, and should I wipe before restoring?

Thanks.

DETAILS
Pixel "sailfish" with Stock Android 9.0.0 (PQ3A.190705.001, Jul 2019)
TWRP 3.3.0.0
Kernel ElementalX-P-4.16
Root with Magisk v19.3

Last edited:

bggold

Sep 13, 2013
Flashed to Pixel, TWRP looks correctly modified. Did backup, data backup was larger, looks good.
Tried to restore several ways, the phone just seems to bootloop now. Tried to wipe again, still in a bootloop.

Will keep trying to recover, but just curious, what is the proper way to RESTORE? What should I check off exactly, and should I wipe before restoring?

Thanks.

DETAILS
TWRP 3.3.0.0
Kernel ElementalX-P-4.16
Root with Magisk v19.3
You could try to dirty flash (no -w) July

Reactions: Tarv

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev

Thanks.

DETAILS
TWRP 3.3.0.0
Kernel ElementalX-P-4.16
Root with Magisk v19.3
It's best to format the userdata partition entirely (Wipe -> Format Data -> Yes in TWRP) before restoring instead of just using the wipe feature, which only deletes files. After that, you should be able to restore the backup like any other.

Have TWRP backup+wipe+restore cycles worked for you in the past? It hasn't always been very reliable on some of my devices, so it might not be an issue caused by Tipatch.

Tarv

Jul 19, 2011
Winnipeg
You could try to dirty flash (no -w) July
did try that, took me to a screen that said my data was corrupt and i had to wipe again. did that, resolved the boot loop, trying to restore again.

It's best to format the userdata partition entirely (Wipe -> Format Data -> Yes in TWRP) before restoring instead of just using the wipe feature, which only deletes files. After that, you should be able to restore the backup like any other.

Have TWRP backup+wipe+restore cycles worked for you in the past? It hasn't always been very reliable on some of my devices, so it might not be an issue caused by Tipatch.
I have not tried to backup/wipe/restore before, just testing it out. I'm assuming I shouldn't have checked off EVERYTHING in TWRP for the restore. I got the phone to boot again, re-flashed twrp, and am currently trying a restore with just "system" and "data" checked.

bggold

Sep 13, 2013
did try that, took me to a screen that said my data was corrupt and i had to wipe again. did that, resolved the boot loop, trying to restore again.

I have not tried to backup/wipe/restore before, just testing it out. I'm assuming I shouldn't have checked off EVERYTHING in TWRP for the restore. I got the phone to boot again, re-flashed twrp, and am currently trying a restore with just "system" and "data" checked.
Usually I do boot system image and data only and have no issues.

Tarv

Jul 19, 2011
Winnipeg
Usually I do boot system image and data only and have no issues.
No luck here, not sure what step I'm missing. The best I can get after a restore is the phone will boot to the black android screen, reboot, then put me back into twrp recovery.

1) flash-all.bat with wipe -w
2) boot into phone, shut down phone
3) bootloader, boot into twrp, flash twrp

(at this point, if i format userdata completely, it will fail restoring the data partition. if i reboot, it fails to read my usb otg drive so i cannot restore)

4) restore "boot", "system image", "data". works ok
5) reboot system, phone tries to boot once, reboots itself straight into recovery
6) dirty flash all, no -w, phone reboots to stock recovery and says the data is corrupt and must wipe.
7) wipe, phone works again, but back to square one.

bummer.

EDIT: think i'm giving up for now. it's not a Tipatch issue anyway as I can't seem to restore an older TWRP backup. appreciate all the help either way, thanks.

Last edited:

bggold

Sep 13, 2013
No luck here, not sure what step I'm missing. The best I can get after a restore is the phone will boot to the black android screen, reboot, then put me back into twrp recovery.

1) flash-all.bat with wipe -w
2) boot into phone, shut down phone
3) bootloader, boot into twrp, flash twrp

(at this point, if i format userdata completely, it will fail restoring the data partition. if i reboot, it fails to read my usb otg drive so i cannot restore)

4) restore "boot", "system image", "data". works ok
5) reboot system, phone tries to boot once, reboots itself straight into recovery
6) dirty flash all, no -w, phone reboots to stock recovery and says the data is corrupt and must wipe.
7) wipe, phone works again, but back to square one.

bummer.
I sent you a pm.

Tarv

Jul 19, 2011
Winnipeg
Last question. Is there a way to extract the data backed up from /media manually? Where would it be stored? I see the app data opening the data.ext4.win* archives, but can't seem to locate storage media files.

Assume maybe they are in the data.ext4.win100,200,300,etc files, but those don't seem to be recognized as an archive.

EDIT: Ahh, encryption. I will figure that out if that's my problem.

EDIT2: I just restored the data partition to the phone again, then copied the files off using MTP while in TWRP. The restore corrupted data partition again (won't boot), but at least I got the files. All good.

Last edited:

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Last question. Is there a way to extract the data backed up from /media manually? Where would it be stored? I see the app data opening the data.ext4.win* archives, but can't seem to locate storage media files.

Assume maybe they are in the data.ext4.win100,200,300,etc files, but those don't seem to be recognized as an archive.

EDIT: Ahh, encryption. I will figure that out if that's my problem.

EDIT2: I just restored the data partition to the phone again, then copied the files off using MTP while in TWRP. The restore corrupted data partition again (won't boot), but at least I got the files. All good.
I believe you can just concatenate the win* segments into one big tarball which can be extracted on a computer.

As for your issues after restoring, I asked some others with a Pixel 1 and it looks like the general consensus is that TWRP restoring doesn't work properly on stock — not sure why. It might be because of the verification or FBE encryption.

shaolefen

Jun 15, 2016
I added this to an unofficial version of TWRP for the Samsung a50. It wouldn't make backups at all anymore, so I clicked "Undo Patch", not "Restore Backup" which is probably what I should have done. Now my phone won't power off. When I try to turn off the power, it reboots. It's possible something else I did caused this, but is there anything in patching and unpatching that might have caused it?

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Unfortunately not working with twrp-3.4.0-0-ginkgo-willow-mauronofrio which is used for Redmi Note 8 T (willow). Reboot to recovery resulted in a bootloop. Any idea (or should I use the workaround already described with manual renaming of /data/media)?