[APP][2.0+] MiXplorer v6.x Released (fully-featured file manager)

EuK_V

Jul 1, 2020
Hi, thank you. Try the latest builds and tell me the result.
Hi!
On the latest builds (B21012320 and MiXSMB_B2101231) SMB3 (smb3=yes) is working. SMB2 (smb3=no) isn't. The same "timeout expired" error in log.

Edit: @HootanParsa
I don't currently have access to Windows and I'm using Ubuntu.

I just thought if it might cause this issue... Because up to now I've tested SMB on 4 physical devices with different android versions and on 2 virtual machines - the result was always the same. Today I asked a relative to test the latest builds to connect his android pie phone to the Windows PC - he reported that both smb3=yes and smb3=no are working.

So can it be that samba on linux works differently? And that's why smb=no isn't working. Is it possible for you to test with linux?
Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
LOL, I forgot how deeply you had been digging into media library stuff and that that's your request I even once confirmed something regarding that on a device. That's just the sort of exploration I'm curious about doing on this device which is stock Moto Android 10, and to your point it's not a MiX issue (and we now have a way to correct at least the thumbnail issue I experienced) . Maybe I'll visit your TeMeFi thread with related questions after exploring.
Sure, laugh at me. They all laghed at ....hmmm... cant think of anyone right now, but it was one of us crazy fringe dwellers that said the earth is round ;)

It was hardly digging to find the error / missing album art. I gave the location of the dB (for A11) and the table name in my post, so anyone can see for themselves the table is empty, using MiX's database functionality; even though I have >1000 albums, some of which show artwork from somewhere (ie the thumbnails). No need to follow up in the TeMeFI thread, you have MiX! The only thing you may not be able to check is how it operates in Oreo (I havn't checked Pie) and earlier, as in from about Gingerbread! when my "focus" (Obcession to you.. tomatOe / tomAtoe) You may also be reluctant to download an album art editing software.

HootanParsa

Recognized Developer
May 8, 2011
Hi!
On the latest builds (B21012320 and MiXSMB_B2101231) SMB3 (smb3=yes) is working. SMB2 (smb3=no) isn't. The same "timeout expired" error in log.

Edit: @HootanParsa
I don't currently have access to Windows and I'm using Ubuntu.

I just thought if it might cause this issue... Because up to now I've tested SMB on 4 physical devices with different android versions and on 2 virtual machines - the result was always the same. Today I asked a relative to test the latest builds to connect his android pie phone to the Windows PC - he reported that both smb3=yes and smb3=no are working.

So can it be that samba on linux works differently? And that's why smb=no isn't working. Is it possible for you to test with linux?
Thanks!
Are you 100% sure that it was working with your v2.1 server on Linux with previous MiXplorer versions and it's a new bug?

EuK_V

Jul 1, 2020
Are you 100% sure that it was working with your v2.1 server on Linux with previous MiXplorer versions and it's a new bug?
Yes. SMB2 is working on v6.50.1-B21011710 with SMB2 v1.19 B2006281 addon.
In addition to that the latest LTS Ubuntu (20.04) does not support SMB1 anymore and it's not possible to connect to the PC without SMB2 v1.19 B2006281 installed.

Attachments

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
Android Media Scanner ...
Just for the record, it's always been broken, it is now broken, and will likely remain broken for the foreseeable future. File manager developers are working around it. Relying on it for anything is a recipe for disaster. Following the . ( dot ) convention in a file / folder name for hiding instead of .nomedia is the right way to go, for instance -- if you want things to actually work.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
@HootanParsa and @EuK_V,
I can access both Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 20.x SMB shares from MiX XDA v6.50.1 B21011710 and SMB plugin v1.9 on few different ROM/Root combinations so I cannot speak to the error, but I'm currently in good position to do comparative tests between Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.x (Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi which has different hardware but that should not affect SMB) if that would help and if you give me guidance about what and how to test.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Just for the record, it's always been broken, it is now broken, and will likely remain broken for the foreseeable future. File manager developers are working around it. Relying on it for anything is a recipe for disaster. Following the . ( dot ) convention in a file / folder name for hiding instead of .nomedia is the right way to go, for instance -- if you want things to actually work.
I wish this suggestion can be deployed in all cases, but unfortunately that is not possible.

For example, some of my friends send me some 'interesting' pictures and videos and I don't want them to show up in the Gallery. Fortunately, WhatsApp provides for 'Media Visibility' feature for chats, where if 'NO' is chosen, media from those chats go inside a folder called 'Private' which has a .nomedia file in it to hide the contents from Gallery apps. I can't rename this folder to '.Private' or something else because in that case WhatsApp will create a new folder called 'Private' with a .nomedia file in it for future media from such chats.

Since there are two file managers I have found (and been using for a long time) that are working exactly as it is supposed to, there can be only two possibilities:

1. Android Media Scanner is completely at fault and file managers must use a workaround to address this problem. And since there are atleast 2 file managers that are working exactly as it is supposed to, a workaround indeed exists that other file managers aren't using properly.

2. There is indeed a problem with MiXplorer, since it is the only one that failed my 1st test. I have to keep renaming the folder everytime there is a new file, which is impractical.

I also noted that on an Android 8 device, MiXplorer shows video files from the Android/ data folder which is quite absurd. None of the other file managers (I have checked with about 10 of them) on my device do that. Difficult to accept that this is Android problem.

Obviously, I can't rename the Android or the data folder.

Last edited:

EuK_V

Jul 1, 2020
@HootanParsa and @EuK_V,
I can access both Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 20.x SMB shares from MiX XDA v6.50.1 B21011710 and SMB plugin v1.9 on few different ROM/Root combinations so I cannot speak to the error, but I'm currently in good position to do comparative tests between Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.x (Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi which has different hardware but that should not affect SMB) if that would help and if you give me guidance about what and how to test.
Would be great!
Try to connect to Ubuntu on the latest MiX beta 21012320 with the latest MiXSMB_B2101231, using smb3=no setting.
Thanks!

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
For example ...
Android's media scanner is awful and unreliable, always has been, as I posted. What file managers' developers do, as you can see in your own tests, sometimes gets around it, sometimes not. I'll leave it at that, because I can only repeat that .nomedia, since it relies on having a framework that does not work, is faulty at best, useless at worst.

The only problem I see with MiX regarding listings, and it has been mentioned by me and others ( you too, recently ) is that it does not refresh contents in directories in real time as they are changed. For instance, have MiX in directory A, use another application to create any file in A, go back to MiX, and it won't show the new file unless forcing a refresh.

simonbellu

Mar 21, 2014
Android's media scanner is awful and unreliable, always has been, as I posted. What file managers' developers do, as you can see in your own tests, sometimes gets around it, sometimes not. I'll leave it at that, because I can only repeat that .nomedia, since it relies on having a framework that does not work, is faulty at best, useless at worst.

The only problem I see with MiX regarding listings, and it has been mentioned by me and others ( you too, recently ) is that it does not refresh contents in directories in real time as they are changed. For instance, have MiX in directory A, use another application to create any file in A, go back to MiX, and it won't show the new file unless forcing a refresh.
To me this works properly with latest Silver. Opened a folder in Mix then opened FX and created a .txt file in that folder previous opened in Mix. Then resuming Mix it refreshed the changes showing the new created text file.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
I don't have this problem actually. Files created by other apps do show up instantly on MiXplorer - inside the folder, as well as under All Files and Recent Files.

On the 6.49.3 build, the Recent Files section would be empty even after a refresh. That bug has been fixed in the recent builds.

My problem is essentially the opposite of what you are experiencing - files show up when they are not supposed to.

EDIT: I do have to press the refresh button on the Toolbar if I am already inside the folder as you mentioned.

Last edited:

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
To me this works properly with latest Silver. Opened a folder in Mix then opened FX and created a .txt file in that folder previous opened in Mix. Then resuming Mix it refreshed the changes showing the new created text file.
Still not working for me on the latest beta, or any previous ones. Refreshing works fine if triggered manually, but it should be automatic.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Still not working for me on the latest beta, or any previous ones. Refreshing works fine if triggered manually, but it should be automatic.
That's true. I edited my previous post. I missed the part where you said that I must already be inside the folder (in MiX) in which a new file is created by another app. It doesn't show up unless the refresh button on Toolbar is pressed.

Reactions: Ultramanoid

simonbellu

Mar 21, 2014
Mhh.. just tried with this beta Version: 6.51.0-BETA B21012320 should be latest or a recent one and it works properly without issues. This is very strange pheraphs you should post also your android version... or there is some setting option that avoid refresh? I use Mix everyday but unfortunately I do not follow the development as in the past so if there is something changed I do not know...have to check.

Reactions: Ultramanoid

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
Mhh.. just tried with this beta Version: 6.51.0-BETA B21012320 should be latest or a recent one and it works properly without issues. This is very strange pheraphs you should post also your android version... or there is some setting option that avoid refresh? I use Mix everyday but unfortunately I do not follow the development as in the past so if there is something changed I do not know...have to check.
Android 10 and 11; FX, Material Files and Ghost Commander, all refresh fine -- automatically.

Reactions: simonbellu

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Using the same build you mentioned and it does NOT work.

I'm using OnePlus 8T running on stock Android 11 (OOS 11.0.6.8).

Reactions: simonbellu