[APP][2.0+] MiXplorer v6.x Released (fully-featured file manager)

simonbellu

Mar 21, 2014
How are you getting back to MiXplorer? Are you using the Recents feature?
I simply resume Mix from the android tasklist and it show me the previous opened folder with the new created file too. Then tried also to see if the new file is listed in recents and it is listed also there...I think HootanParsa will better explain this different behaviour between different android versions...let us hear what he says about it.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Check this out:

None of those test files actually exist. I deleted them about 5 minutes back. They don't appear in Cx, File Manager Plus or FX. But they show up in MiX (both Stable (Light Theme) and Beta (Chocolate Theme).

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Here is another bug (on both Stable and Beta builds):

Screenshot_20210124-215521.jpg

On the latest Beta, clicking on any image from within the Images library opens some other random image. This bug doesn't exist on the latest Stable build though.

simonbellu

Mar 21, 2014
Here is another bug (on both Stable and Beta builds):

View attachment 5197763

On the latest Beta, clicking on any image from within the Images library opens some other random image. This bug doesn't exist on the latest Stable build though.
Please check if the image viewer used belong to the same mix version...if you have more than one mix version installed then you can open the image with the wrong image viewer activity..in that case it opens some random image I guess because of different file provider

Edit: you can check the image viewer activity version by long press the activity in the open with popup menu and then choose > App Info

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Please check if the image viewer used belong to the same mix version...if you have more than one mix version installed then you can open the image with the wrong image viewer activity..in that case it opens some random image I guess because of different file provider

Edit: you can check the image viewer activity version by long press the activity in the open with popup menu and then choose > App Info
Thanks for this. I think I had chosen the wrong app as default (because I have both Stable and Beta installed) for Image viewing. I have reset it and it works fine.

That said, why would there be such a bug (for lack of better term)? Irrespective of the file provider, shouldn't the right image still open?

Reactions: simonbellu

simonbellu

Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for this. I think I had chosen the wrong app as default (because I have both Stable and Beta installed) for Image viewing. I have reset it and it works fine.

That said, why would there be such a bug (for lack of better term)? Irrespective of the file provider, shouldn't the right image still open?
Look at the log...
D/HUB> ITEM >> /storage/emulated/0/Documents/Immagini/http:mad:@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]__822x462.jpg
D/IntentHelper> START com.mixplorer.silver
D/IntentHelper> URI content://com.mixplorer.beta.fileProvider/CEWvRkIDpqtERwAodrU66CyMA-GmiMlMUGcYu9n_3_9-eiyeoqiTAf_v1FUZdEZI9VM_-zlNX_9mP_96IWLxVKi-EXo5RU1ksUaKYiVGiMPRD5WogqH_3srAbrqzn856Tk4uyw==/Http%3A%40%40xml.zeit.de%40zeit-magazin%402018%4012%40malerei-ab%E2%80%A6.jpg
D/IntentHelper> INTERNAL
I/MiX> PAUSED

You will see that the appID of the URI is content.mixplorer.beta but the appID of the app that start to open the image is com.mixplorer.silver.
Since it is an addon it is supppsed to work with the same application id I guess.

Reactions: TheMystic

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
Look at the log...
D/HUB> ITEM >> /storage/emulated/0/Documents/Immagini/http:mad:@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]__822x462.jpg
D/IntentHelper> URI content://com.mixplorer.beta.fileProvider/CEWvRkIDpqtERwAodrU66CyMA-GmiMlMUGcYu9n_3_9-eiyeoqiTAf_v1FUZdEZI9VM_-zlNX_9mP_96IWLxVKi-EXo5RU1ksUaKYiVGiMPRD5WogqH_3srAbrqzn856Tk4uyw==/Http%3A%40%40xml.zeit.de%40zeit-magazin%402018%4012%40malerei-ab%E2%80%A6.jpg
D/IntentHelper> INTERNAL
I/MiX> PAUSED

You will see that the appID of the URI is content.mixplorer.beta but the appID of the app that start to open the image is com.mixplorer.silver.
Since it is an addon it is supppsed to work with the same application id I guess.
I'm with @TheMystic on this: If you get to choose which app will open a file, there shouldn't be any difference between choosing a different version of the app that originally selected the file, and choosing a completely unrelated app. It isn't even a different version, Mixplorer Standard, Beta, and Silver are three different apps -- I don't think Android recognizes any special relation between them.

Reactions: TheMystic

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Look at the log...
D/IntentHelper> INTERNAL
I/MiX> PAUSED

My guess is this is a bug with the Image add-on. Because this happens only with the Pictures, not Videos.

If I use the 'Open with', and choose any of the other gallery apps, the correct picture/ video is opening. But of I choose the Mix add-on, then only in case of pictures, the wrong file is opening. But with videos the right file opens with either add-on (even though technically it is the same add-on).

Reactions: J.Michael

simonbellu

Mar 21, 2014
My guess is this is a bug with the Image add-on. Because this happens only with the Pictures, not Videos.

If I use the 'Open with', and choose any of the other gallery apps, the correct picture/ video is opening. But of I choose the Mix add-on, then only in case of pictures, the wrong file is opening. But with videos the right file opens with either add-on (even though technically it is the same add-on).
I'm with @TheMystic on this: If you get to choose which app will open a file, there shouldn't be any difference between choosing a different version of the app that originally selected the file, and choosing a completely unrelated app. It isn't even a different version, Mixplorer Standard, Beta, and Silver are three different apps -- I don't think Android recognizes any special relation between them.
I really do not know if this is a bug or not, for that reason i wrote: "I guess..."

I remember also many cases in the past years here in thread of users with different mix builds installed claiming bugs while inadvertently choose the wrong activity version...for that reason I reply to your bug report. I remember in the past the same issue also with the Media player and audio files... I am sure Hootan will explain the real reason for that. He wrote the code so he knows...

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Would be great!
Try to connect to Ubuntu on the latest MiX beta 21012320 with the latest MiXSMB_B2101231, using smb3=no setting.
Thanks!
Wow, this was one of those times where going right to clean install might have saved time but might not have flushed out some of the oddities. No implied complaint, such is the nature of testing. First the clean stuff:

Android 10/LOS 17 rooted w/Magisk, MiX beta 21012320, MiXSMB_B2101231 In a clean install with no parallel version of MiX and no previously installed MiX add-ons remaining; bookmarks created in the newly installed beta worked fine for both ubuntu and Windows with SMB3 set to yes or no.

That being said, on a different device (Android 10 Moto stock rooted w/Magisk) when testingMiX beta parallel to existing MiX XDA stable with all stable add-ons installed, there were odd results. Down through the dirt and into the rabbit hole we go:

> Parallel to MiX stable with all add-ons, after installing MiX beta app only (not the SMB3 add-on) all of the add-ons from XDA stable are visible in MiX beta add-on list. This may be normal if the add-ons are shared between stable and beta but the SMB add-on appears in MiX beta incorrectly as SMB2/3 (v2 of the add-on) while it appears in XDA stable and Android’s list of installed apps as SMB2 (v1.9 of the add-on).

> In the aforementioned condition an attempt to create a bookmark to Ubuntu (or Windows 10) experiences similar error but the bookmark is created. This may be what I captured in logs and screenshots.*

> After installing the SMB3 (v2.0) add-on from within MiX beta; the same newly created bookmarks work properly with SMB3 set to yes or no for both Ubuntu and windows 10.

> Back to MiX XDA stable, which still reports SMB2 (v1.9) even though it is now SMB3 (v2.0) of the add-in that is installed in the system.

> Over to MiX beta; add-on is reported as SMB3. Uninstall the SMB add-on from within the beta add-on list.

> Back to MiX stable the SMB. Add-on is gone.

* The error seems to occur when MiX beta app thinks it has the SMB39(v2) add-on when it actually had the SMB2(V1) add-on from MiX stable or had no add-on at all.

Other potential factors:

> Exporting/importing SMB bookmarks from MiX XDA stable to MiX beta. , eg Do the imported bookmarks receive an update to the SMB advanced parameter upon import. IIRC The logs that I captured might have included exported/imported bookmarks.

> Installing from target version of MiX (in this case beta), or parallel installation of MiX (in this case stable) or 3rd party app. This may be a factor in the incoorect reporting of the add-on version in the MiX add-in list.

So the issue I’m experiencing seems more about the installation and proper reporting of installed version than the function of the plug-in its self and might or might not relate directly to your situation. This feedback may be enough to chase it further but I can provide logs or capture new better targeted ones is HP thinks they will help.

Last edited:

simonbellu

Mar 21, 2014
@HootanParsa
Hello Hootan,
Is the app autorename shorthcut "%ABI" working for you? To me it shows aways "All" on preview toast. I normally generate a signed apk for my app as release type in Android Studio including only 2 abi: armeabi-v7a and arm64-v8a and universalApk false.
If I try to autorename those apks using shortcut %ABI it gives me always "All" as preview but they are not universal apk...

Could you please check this?

Also, why not adding a preview label in the rename popup dialog when autorename option is checked? See picture. In this way the user always know what will be the new name before renaming it since the preview option is hidden when autorename is selected ...

Screenshot_20210125-133555_MiXplorer.jpg

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Regarding the smb3 add-on, I knew I was missing something in the testing last night and here it is.

It stands to reason (HP can confirm) that simultaneous updates of Mix app and smb3 add-on might be required to use the smb3 advance parameter, so the java exception could have been seen as an expected outcome of that requirement not being met...

but...

In a test of Mix beta alone (no add-ons or parallel installation) the same thing did not occur. Instead a connection" error occurred. That seems more normal for a missing smb3 dependency or parameter.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks @HemanthJabalpuri (and belatedly @CLPose) for suggesting the addition of a MiXplorer History section to the FAQ and @marciozomb13 for suggesting inclusion of comments about closed/open source. Here are details of the suggestions and edits as well as a question regarding the priority of sources of MiXplorer: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/post-84361035. Also, I'm looking for any of HootanParsa's past comments about source (but not starting new discussion/debate in this thread).

Last edited:

EuK_V

Jul 1, 2020
Wow, this was one of those times where going right to clean install might have saved time but might not have flushed out some of the oddities. No implied complaint, such is the nature of testing. First the clean stuff:

Android 10/LOS 17 rooted w/Magisk, MiX beta 21012320, MiXSMB_B2101231 In a clean install with no parallel version of MiX and no previously installed MiX add-ons remaining; bookmarks created in the newly installed beta worked fine for both ubuntu and Windows with SMB3 set to yes or no.

That being said, on a different device (Android 10 Moto stock rooted w/Magisk) when testingMiX beta parallel to existing MiX XDA stable with all stable add-ons installed, there were odd results. Down through the dirt and into the rabbit hole we go:

> Parallel to MiX stable with all add-ons, after installing MiX beta app only (not the SMB3 add-on) all of the add-ons from XDA stable are visible in MiX beta add-on list. This may be normal if the add-ons are shared between stable and beta but the SMB add-on appears in MiX beta incorrectly as SMB2/3 (v2 of the add-on) while it appears in XDA stable and Android’s list of installed apps as SMB2 (v1.9 of the add-on).

> In the aforementioned condition an attempt to create a bookmark to Ubuntu (or Windows 10) experiences similar error but the bookmark is created. This may be what I captured in logs and screenshots.*

> After installing the SMB3 (v2.0) add-on from within MiX beta; the same newly created bookmarks work properly with SMB3 set to yes or no for both Ubuntu and windows 10.

> Back to MiX XDA stable, which still reports SMB2 (v1.9) even though it is now SMB3 (v2.0) of the add-in that is installed in the system.

> Over to MiX beta; add-on is reported as SMB3. Uninstall the SMB add-on from within the beta add-on list.

> Back to MiX stable the SMB. Add-on is gone.

* The error seems to occur when MiX beta app thinks it has the SMB39(v2) add-on when it actually had the SMB2(V1) add-on from MiX stable or had no add-on at all.

Other potential factors:

> Exporting/importing SMB bookmarks from MiX XDA stable to MiX beta. , eg Do the imported bookmarks receive an update to the SMB advanced parameter upon import. IIRC The logs that I captured might have included exported/imported bookmarks.

> Installing from target version of MiX (in this case beta), or parallel installation of MiX (in this case stable) or 3rd party app. This may be a factor in the incoorect reporting of the add-on version in the MiX add-in list.
It's so odd.. You say that a clean install worked for you..

For the experiment I decided to make a clean install of everything:
I made a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
I flashed my phone with LOS 17.1, rooted with magisk,
I installed MiX beta 21012320, MiXSMB_B2101231 and nothing else.
The result was the same again, smb3=yes is working, smb3=no isn't.

Then I thought that probably my particular hardware might cause this. So today I went to a friend and tested on his computer with Ubuntu installed. I used his phone. He'd never installed MiX before. And again the result was the same.

Again this is so odd. I have no idea why I'm experiencing this error.

@HootanParsa maybe you'd want to figure out what it is. I'm ready to test.

@IronTechmonkey

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

sergioad

Apr 3, 2020
Zapopan
Hello everyone I am enjoying A LOT Mixplorer, and although right now I am unable to pay silver (I want to get it ASAP) I must say I love it and thank you all for the magnificent work you have done, maybe this superfluous and irrelevant but could you add an option to use icons on the main menu? Right now it feels a little bit simple

Screenshot_20210125-210140.png

I will brag a little bit but I am quite satisfied with the theme I created with MaterialOS light as my base

Reactions: HootanParsa

Snake-Plissken

Aug 21, 2006
San Francisco
@HootanParsa I am struggling to get my ASUS ROG STRIX Arion with a 1TB nvme drive to work with MixPlorer. There is a pop up message asking me if I would like to grant Mixplorer access to the drive. When I click yes, however nothing happens. I don't see it anywhere.

However it is listed under Samsungs My Files app on my Note 20 and I can access it without any issues. However nothing is as good as Mixplorer if it comes to file explorers ;-)