[APP][2.0+] MiXplorer v6.x Released (fully-featured file manager)

DSH

Jul 25, 2007
First of all, I wanted to thank you guys. Especially Dash Hootane aziz. I love MiXplorer.
I have just a little problem. When i try to set a MP3 file as Alarm or Ringtone, it fails and goes to the "App Info" of MiXplorer (where you can force stop, clear data or uninstall or...)
I want to change the default alarm tone. In the past it used to be done via "es" file manager.
Best Regards

Reactions: HootanParsa

Oswald Boelcke

Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Staff member
Apr 13, 2016
Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
en.wikipedia.org
First of all, I wanted to thank you guys. Especially Dash Hootane aziz. I love MiXplorer.
I have just a little problem. When i try to set a MP3 file as Alarm or Ringtone, it fails and goes to the "App Info" of MiXplorer (where you can force stop, clear data or uninstall or...)
I want to change the default alarm tone. In the past it used to be done via "es" file manager.
Best Regards
I'm unable to confirm this issue. I can set both, ogg and mp3, as ringtone via MiXplorer. Please refer to attached screenshots that I took a few minutes ago. Might it be an issue with your ROM?
Screenshot_20210127-110313_Einstellungen.pngScreenshot_20210127-110321_Android-System.pngScreenshot_20210127-110330_MiXplorer.pngScreenshot_20210127-110335_MiXplorer.pngScreenshot_20210127-110337_MiXplorer.pngScreenshot_20210127-110339_Einstellungen.pngScreenshot_20210127-110342_Einstellungen.png

chrisubuntu

Jul 13, 2014
Request. When pinning a file in the "All files" page, make it stick to the top of that page for easier access. Currently, the app will only pin that file at the top of its folder location.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
More features = more possibility of bugs/ errors = more complicated and time consuming to maintain and update = more memory and battery usage = bad user experience.

I think MiXplorer should just stick with its core functionality - Managing Files & Storage. Where a feature drifts away from the core functionality of an app - I think such features should be best left for apps that are made specifically for that purpose, e.g. Music Player. Alternatively, those features must be part of an add-on, instead of building it inside the main app.

Between an app that is extremely capable of performing its core functionality, and doing it better than any other app, and an app that is an all-in-one solution but no better than competing apps, I would always choose the former. In other words, focus should be on quality of performance rather than quantity of features.

Currently, MiXplorer has quite a few bugs and priority should be in resolving those and improving it further as a FILE MANAGER!

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
More features = more possibility of bugs/ errors = more complicated and time consuming to maintain and update = more memory and battery usage = bad user experience.

I think MiXplorer should just stick with its core functionality - Managing Files & Storage. Where a feature drifts away from the core functionality of an app - I think such features should be best left for apps that are made specifically for that purpose, e.g. Music Player. Alternatively, those features must be part of an add-on, instead of building it inside the main app.

Between an app that is extremely capable of performing its core functionality, and doing it better than any other app, and an app that is an all-in-one solution but no better than competing apps, I would always choose the former. In other words, focus should be on quality of performance rather than quantity of features.

Currently, MiXplorer has quite a few bugs and priority should be in resolving those and improving it further as a FILE MANAGER!
This is frequently discussed and you are not alone. Nor are the people on the other side of the debate alone although I share your view.

Also, apart from concerns about bugs, the MiXplorer base app has a small resource footprint and so can be used on old and low memory devices. That is one of the benefits of the add-on model as opposed to an all-in-one model.

As to MiXplorer having "quite a few bugs"; During an active phase of development such as we've been in recently, more bugs would be expected but also, some reports seem to be usage/configuration issues or feature requests as opposed to problems. I'm not dismissing or minimizing your reports but if we look at the universe of reported problems in Mix stable the pile of actual bugs may not be that big, although I agree with you that those bugs should go to the front of the line.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Best Regards
You mentioned that in the past you could use ES. The past is not the present so you might want to confirm that again if you've not done so recently (to @Oswald Boelcke's point about possible OS issues). Along the same lines, can you assign either file type as ringtone from the operating system's native ringtone picker? Are all other things equal; such as the sound files being on the same drive or in the same folder? Some of those basic things might be answered in a log that captures an attempt to use Mix to assign each of the file types as ringtone.

Last edited:

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
This is frequently discussed and you are not alone. Nor are the people on the other side of the debate alone although I share your view.

Also, apart from concerns about bugs, the MiXplorer base app has a small resource footprint and so can be used on old and low memory devices. That is one of the benefits of the add-on model as opposed to an all-in-one model.

As to MiXplorer having "quite a few bugs"; During an active phase of development such as we've been in recently, more bugs would be expected but also, some reports seem to be usage/configuration issues or feature requests as opposed to problems. I'm not dismissing or minimizing your reports but if we look at the universe of reported problems in Mix stable the pile of actual bugs may not be that big, although I agree with you that those bugs should go to the front of the line.
I think there should be a separate thread for feature requests and bug reporting. This will make it easier for the developer to view and address the more important/ urgent comments - bug reports (with or without logs) in this case.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
You mentioned that in the past you could use ES. The past is not the present so you might want to confirm that again if you've not done so recently (to @Oswald Boelcke's point about possible OS issues). Along the same lines, can you assign either file type as ringtone from the operating system's native ringtone picker? Are all other things equal; such as the sound files being on the same drive or in the same folder? Some of those basic things might be answered in a log that captures an attempt to use Mix to assign each of the file types as ringtone.
Native ringtone picker has a very poor implementation on some devices, such as OnePlus devices. The native picker simply lists all the music files and it is a pain to go through the whole list each time.

Ideally, the sound picker should allow the user to browse his internal storage using built-in file manager or another file manager, so the user can go directly to the folder (usually the Ringtones folder) and pick the sound he/ she wants, so the whole process becomes much faster and efficient.

But often, we don't understand what the developent team was thinking when they designed their products.

Reactions: pocketrule

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I think there should be a separate thread for feature requests and bug reporting. This will make it easier for the developer to view and address the more important/ urgent comments - bug reports (with or without logs) in this case.
HP seems fine with feature requests (some of which really do push the app forward) and other troubleshooting together in this thread.

For other things (such as extensive side discussions which slip off topic;)) we already have the FAQ.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
HP seems fine with feature requests (some of which really do push the app forward) and other troubleshooting together in this thread.

For other things (such as extensive side discussions which slip off topic;)) we already have the FAQ.
Pretty sure HP would lose track of several feature requests due to obvious reasons.

I think XDA should allow for 3 tags within every thread:
1. Bug reporting
2. Feature requests
3. Help & General Discussions

When a user posts a comment, he should also be forced to choose one of the above tags.

All participants, especially the creator of the thread, should then be able to filter out comments that fall into one of the above categories. If a bug has been addressed or a feature has been implemented, the creator should then be able to 'mark' it as solved, which then gets a separate tag of its own called 'Solved'.

That way huge threads such as this one will be much more easier to navigate and the creator will have a much easier time getting to comments that help him make his product better.

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
I think XDA should allow for 3 tags within every thread ...
That's a discussion for another thread regarding XDA in general -- good idea, though, very good. This is a development thread for MiX, and both bug reports and feature requests fall squarely into development. It is precisely its purpose. For general questions and help, there's the FAQ thread, exactly for that too.

Suncatcher16

Oct 15, 2011
Kyiv
hi there,
regarding SFTP storage, my username on the SFTP server contains AT (@ symbol), exactly like that
on Linux my connection string looks like this and it works

Code:
sftp -R 256 -B 15000 -C [email protected]@the.server.com
will MiXplorer work for that server? Now I always receive "not authenticated", and it's unclear for me whether it is because it incorrectly parses the username with at, or because I missed some other setting.