[APP][2.1+] Javelin Browser - Adblock, KitKat Transparency, VPN, True Multi-tasking

Search This thread

BenG7

Jun 24, 2009
Hi
Can you please provide the possibility to set up our own VPN as opposed to force spirit?
Also a search on page option would be nice.
Thanks

javelinbrowser

Mar 29, 2014
Hello everyone, I have just pushed out v3.2.0.

In this release, the primary focus is on improving the reading mode by 10X, and I think it is achieved. Not just is the accuracy very much improved, but it also does images now :)

The secondary focus was taking Stack a step further as a REAL browser. This is why in this release, you can do a whole lot more with links opened in Stack. Like download files, long press links, etc.

Here's the changelog:

- (NEW) Open tabs/bookmarks in Stack
- (NEW) Reading mode in stack
- (NEW) Reading mode now extract images
- (NEW) Guide to gestures (in settings)
- (NEW) Downloads in Stack
- (NEW) Handle long press with links/images in Stack
- (IMPROVEMENT) 10x improvement to Reading mode's accuracy
- (IMPROVEMENT) Select text in Reading mode
- (IMPROVEMENT) More gestures in Stack
- (IMPROVEMENT) Sharing links will now share page title as subject
- (IMPROVEMENT) Stack has now better memory/cpu management

Akoolive

Oct 22, 2010
Desktop mode forces me to a T-Mobile page about paying for WiFi hotspot. Its annoying, I'll have to use dolphin until you find a solution

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Even with latest version I have many problems with Javelin.
Sometimes I get force close at Facebook page and in some forums (like ipmart forum) each link opens in a new tab by default.

Unleashed by my Nexus 4

persianrisk

Oct 12, 2013
Even with latest version I have many problems with Javelin.
Sometimes I get force close at Facebook page and in some forums (like ipmart forum) each link opens in a new tab by default.

Unleashed by my Nexus 4
I also get forced close errors. but I will that checking clear cache in settings helps

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Also, do you get sometimes problems with getting back in previous pages during browsing?
I have this problem in some pages only.
For example, at ebay page I am performing a search for an item. In results page I click on a specific bid to check the item's page. Then, if I press back it doesn't go back at results page, but it reloads current page.

Unleashed from Onda v957m on TDT

drmxmyt

Aug 29, 2011
istanbul
hey guys. is there any option to disable the password protection. its really fraustrating to enter it every single time. i mailed the dev and he said there is an Option in the Options menu but couldnt find it.

billydroid

Jun 24, 2010
I have and HTC m8 and this browser crashes more than anything I have ever seen. Especially when trying to to handle pop ups. Does any one here go to icefilms? That site really puts pop up blockers to the test and javelin browser just freezes up when trying to handle them.

Moscha

Dec 2, 2008
Hamburg
Samsung Galaxy S8
Xiaomi Mi A2
Wow, much smoother than Firefox and Chrome on my Nexus 7 2012. Also the UI is good looking.

Bought Pro Version to support development!

Feature Wishes: ChromeCast Support for Videos (Embedding Web Video caster / vget) , Option to disable the Spirit Button on the left Menu for people who are not using it. I also like to default Homepage with search, but I think it would be faster if it's an embedded page on the local device (embedded into the browser) instead of loading it everything from the Web.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

Moscha

Dec 2, 2008
Hamburg
Samsung Galaxy S8
Xiaomi Mi A2
First bugs?: A lot of times I've been asked from Javelin with which app I want to open the URL of a website. (Javelin is already default browser). And some Crashes during surfing.

Using Stock Android 4.4.4 on my devices (Nexus 5 and 7 2012).

Gesendet von meinem Androiden mit Tapatalk

mrbubba999

Mar 28, 2010
Would it be possible to import chrome bookmarks into their folders? I have a lot of bookmarks all sorted into folders, once imported, it's impossible to find the bookmarks I want to use, as there's now just a huge list

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Paulikid

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Hi guys,

It is my opinion that mobile browsers on Android suck because most of them are focused on feature count over ACTUAL mobile usability -- With most mobile browsers to be just a desktop browser squeezed into a small screen.

So I built Javelin Browser, extending from the very great code-base of Lightning Browser. Like Lightning Browser, Javelin is light-weight, and super-fast.

But that is nowhere enough. To get the mobile part right, here’s what I did.

• MINIMAL DESIGN to be minimalistic, intuitive, and beautiful.
  • ADDED ADBLOCK natively, using the implementation of Adblock Plus with Easylist.
  • ONE-TOUCH gesture per action
  • READ EASILY with a reading mode just like Pocket app, Instapaper, Readability, etc.

Download now: Search for Javelin Browser on Google Play

Official Website: JavelinBrowser.com

My email address: [email protected]

Whc2wlw.png

Click here for more images.

This is an on-going project. As of April 2014, this is my second month into this. I’m commited to the Javelin project for at least the next 2 years. Let me know what you think!

Next release:

• Fully featured Omnibox (It'll resemble that more of Firefox rather than Chrome - The suggestions will will lean slightly towards web-history/bookmarks over than web-search)
  • Bookmarks.. Chrome Bookmarks import for one. (I personally want this)

In the pipeline:

* Javelin on Android Wear
* Link Bubble: Oh man, I love the idea. But it is really just chatheads + preloading of URLs and showing an overlay of a webview. It lacks a full browser backend. So yes. I plan to implement some sort of Chathead + Preloading feature in the very near future.

----

Addendum (full disclosure):

- Javelin is a forked project of Lightning Browser, under Apache License 2.0. Here's the link to the repo: https://github.com/anthonycr/Lightning-Browser

- As is with the app permissions, the app does register your email addresses to identify you as a user, and from time-to-time, you might receive a newsletter that you can opt-out anytime.

Please note: Anyone spamming the forums with threads in order to gain the bribe of this developer to get his pro version will have actions taken against them. This is the only place for this thread as was told to the OP.
Thank you for your cooperation
Senior Moderator

JT1510365

Jan 7, 2014
South Lyon
HTC Thunderbolt
Nice Browser!

I really love javelin:) The Ui is very nice and the browser really is super fast. I would recommend this to all my friends. Only problem though is that I can't get it on my galaxy tab 3 by Samsung. SAD!

Good Work Though!

barth2

Jan 30, 2014
This is really nice. I've tried all the popular browsers and this is one of my favs so far. Love the reading mode. You are writing your own too, it looks like, and not using readability etc.

Minor bug.. When using Google image search,the page automatically scroll to bottom by itself. Turning off transparent nav bar fixed it. Go figure.

With gawker.com articles, reading more gives a title and nothing else. Gawker and its sister sites io9 Jezebel deadspin all use same page structure which seems to give mobilizers a lot of probldms, so it's not just javelin.

requests...

0/ my number one, I mean zero, request is night mode for browsing. I don't mean just darken the screen, which I can do myself by adjusting brightness, but night mode like reading mode does it, with white text on black or dark background. not sure how you'd do that, but I guess that's why you're the Dev and I'm not [emoji1]

1/ I second being able to turn off sprint icon and use space for something else, like bookmarks or share. and start page showing most frequently/recently visited pages.

2/ history pane is hard to read with white on light blue colors. please use darker blue.

3/ remember navigation for tabs. what I mean is, say I go to nytimes, then sports, then NBA, then pick an article. then I close javelin or it gets killed. I reopen javelin and it reopens the tab with the article. but it forgets about the pages before so if I hit back, it closes the tab instead of going back to NBA as expected.

thanks much!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

It is my opinion that mobile browsers on Android suck because most of them are focused on feature count over ACTUAL mobile usability -- With most mobile browsers to be just a desktop browser squeezed into a small screen.

So I built Javelin Browser, extending from the very great code-base of Lightning Browser. Like Lightning Browser, Javelin is light-weight, and super-fast.

But that is nowhere enough. To get the mobile part right, here’s what I did.

• MINIMAL DESIGN to be minimalistic, intuitive, and beautiful.
    • ADDED ADBLOCK natively, using the implementation of Adblock Plus with Easylist.
    • ONE-TOUCH gesture per action
    • READ EASILY with a reading mode just like Pocket app, Instapaper, Readability, etc.

Download now: Search for Javelin Browser on Google Play

Official Website: JavelinBrowser.com

My email address: [email protected]

Whc2wlw.png

Click here for more images.

This is an on-going project. As of April 2014, this is my second month into this. I’m commited to the Javelin project for at least the next 2 years. Let me know what you think!

Next release:

• Fully featured Omnibox (It'll resemble that more of Firefox rather than Chrome - The suggestions will will lean slightly towards web-history/bookmarks over than web-search)
    • Bookmarks.. Chrome Bookmarks import for one. (I personally want this)

In the pipeline:

* Javelin on Android Wear
    * Link Bubble: Oh man, I love the idea. But it is really just chatheads + preloading of URLs and showing an overlay of a webview. It lacks a full browser backend. So yes. I plan to implement some sort of Chathead + Preloading feature in the very near future.

----

Addendum (full disclosure):

- Javelin is a forked project of Lightning Browser, under Apache License 2.0. Here's the link to the repo: https://github.com/anthonycr/Lightning-Browser

- As is with the app permissions, the app does register your email addresses to identify you as a user, and from time-to-time, you might receive a newsletter that you can opt-out anytime.
    Hi there,

can anyone tell me what's the difference between Javelin Incognito Browser and Javelin Browser? They both seems to have same function, size, ...and lack of information on play store about it, isn't good as well.

Also, I founf this under article of AndroidPolice...

Any strong arguments against this?

ad.

I really suggest developer to make a proper FAQ, because lack of information about this make me suspicious (and your short activity on XDA doesn't help... I mean, profile created march 2014... )

A lot of these issues are actually addressed.

Here's Javelin's privacy policy: http://javelinbrowser.com/privacy

Here's my comment on my single silly mistake on sending a single newsletter which backfired:http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...he_web_with_javelin_stack_link_bubble/chmiay7

Javelin is forked from Lightning Browser, no point rewriting an entire browser when I could take what is awesome and make it even better. That's the point of Open Source. If you go back afew pages, you can see Anthony posting here. He is the author of Lightning Browser, you can ask him what he thinks of this.

I think I've come far enough to prove that I don't "steal code". I mean, I wrote the entire Stack code myself. That is not part of Lightning Browser. As is with AdBlock, Proxy, UI, and all the different optimizations that I've added to Lightning. Why does nobody accuse me of stealing code for these features?

In fact, I've been running proxy services for Singapore and UK for more than a year now. See getgom.com / goawaycameron.co.uk .

Besides, my name is clear and out. I'm Steven Goh from Singapore. Google my history.

I have no idea why, but I'm constantly attacked by other browser devs. If you read the comment, it is _obvious_ that it is the dev of Frost Browser who is attacking me. Oh well. I can only continually prove my critics wrong by delivering a better product, again and again.

And of course, your support.
    Hello everyone, I have just pushed out v3.2.0.

In this release, the primary focus is on improving the reading mode by 10X, and I think it is achieved. Not just is the accuracy very much improved, but it also does images now :)

The secondary focus was taking Stack a step further as a REAL browser. This is why in this release, you can do a whole lot more with links opened in Stack. Like download files, long press links, etc.

Here's the changelog:

- (NEW) Open tabs/bookmarks in Stack
    - (NEW) Reading mode in stack
    - (NEW) Reading mode now extract images
    - (NEW) Guide to gestures (in settings)
    - (NEW) Downloads in Stack
    - (NEW) Handle long press with links/images in Stack
    - (IMPROVEMENT) 10x improvement to Reading mode's accuracy
    - (IMPROVEMENT) Select text in Reading mode
    - (IMPROVEMENT) More gestures in Stack
    - (IMPROVEMENT) Sharing links will now share page title as subject
    - (IMPROVEMENT) Stack has now better memory/cpu management
    2.1.0 released!

Ok I'll load up an emulator to test this :)

I just spent the entire day overhauling the Reading mode. Now it works KICK-BUTT!

Also fixed the bug where Adblock is being oversensitive and blocking some sites such as YouTube.

And I just added immersive mode with transparent navigation bar and status bar (KITKAT only). And damn. It looks GREAT!

I have quite a few more TODOs to complete, I hope to release something tonight or tomorrow!

PS: I need 10 posts to post links and images. But be sure I'll do that once I reach my requisite post count :)
    PSS: You guys are great! Keep the feedback coming!
    PSSS: I love the pie control too, if you get what I mean :) It'll come.

Just published a significant update (v2.1.0). Here's what's changed:

- New icon!
    - Reading mode now 10X better! (Overhauled engine)
    - (KitKat) Transparent navigation/status bars with Immersion mode
    - Smarter AdBlock (Some sites like YouTube were previously not working very well on AdBlock, now they are working perfect)
    - Haptic feedback on long press events
    - Bookmark now scrolls properly
    - Plenty of bug/crash/tiny additions/fixes/etc

It should be live in the store in 1 hour's time :)
    Version 3.0.8 published (Live in 1 hour's time). This is a bug-fix release.

(BUG FIXES)

- Stack now detect incoming calls and will minimize browsers accordingly
    - Downloads will no longer close tabs
    - Rotating the phone will now properly hide/unhide Stackheads
    - Javelin in landscape now show layout properly

(NEW)

- You can now open windows in background
    - You can now open links that open other apps