[APP][2.1+] SSHDroid (2.1.0)

Search This thread

berserker_devel

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Hi,

I run into a problem with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (NTT docomo (Japan) SC-04D; ICS 4.0.2 (stock)).

I am using SSHDroid without root. I only modify my setting of SSHDroid to use Pubkey auth instead of password auth. There is no problem with sftp access from my linux box using following command line:
Code:
$ sftp -P 2222 root@192.168.1.2:/sdcard

However, I cannot get a shell prompt using ssh (I get the same results with PuTTY from Windows):
Code:
$ ssh -p 2222 root@192.168.1.2

The Log looks like this:
Code:
INFO: [26045] Mar 15 13:38:39 Child connection from ::ffff:192.168.1.6:50725
INFO: [26045] Mar 15 13:38:40 Pubkey auth succeeded for 'root' with key md5 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX from ::ffff:192.168.1.6:50725
INFO: [26045] Mar 15 13:38:41 Exit (root): Failed to set euid

This clearly means that I can access to the device on the network level and the authentication succeeded, but I just failed to get a shell prompt. I do not need a root privilege but I just want to get an adb-like shell prompt from remote.

Is this a well-known restriction of SSHDroid without root?
Hi, that's a know issue and it should be fixed in the next release.
Please can you try the version linked in the pm and let me know if it works?
Bye

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Why don't think about what you're trying to do? You have no root on your phone and try to login as root... How do you think you're gonna login?

denixx.baykin

May 24, 2012
Hi!
I use HTC Evo Design 4G. "More Locale 2" installed and russian locale selected.
When I try to make scp from /sdcard/downloads/bluetooth/* (for example), to subfolder in my home dir, I obtain all files as they named. It's a .vcf files with cyrillic names.
When I try to "ls" the contents of /sdcard/downloads/bluetooth/, I see non-unicode version of cyrillic names, like "166 !0H0 ?>:0?>;0.vcf" instead of "166 Саша КокаКола.vcf".

Do you have any ideas? Maybe you need to add a utf-8 support for terminal and checkbox in settings?

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

And another one thing: I need to type "exit" twice to stop ssh.

VuDuCuRSe

Dec 11, 2010
Hi, I need some help setting up WinSCP... I can use the command line version using root@ip:22 and it will do they key automatically but the GUI WinSCP I always get error connecting, anybody have a good tutorial on how to set up WinSCP?

Thanks!

EDIT: I figured it out...I was trying to use SCP instead of SFTP, the app even says to use SFTP.... DUH! :)

As soon as I switched to SFTP it opened up and I was able to transfer from my phone to my laptop via Wifi and even 3G! (using DynDNS also. And while I was at it I downloaded adbWifi, works great too! Also the modified adbputty. Great tools!!!)

I'm also having problems with WinSCP or other programs. I can connect using ssh using cygwin but if I try to connect using sftp, it asks for the root password but then, the cursors stays blinking forever...

547980001338294615.png

WinSCP gives a timeout some seconds after asking for the password.

931038001338294516.png

225387001338294423.png

Last edited:

nyarnon

Apr 29, 2007
I ripped dropbear from SSHdroid to have a nice clean and lean dropbear. I am stuck with one issue. Dropbear seems to accept sftp only when it is in /data/data/berserker.android.apps.sshdroidpro/dropbear/ . I symlinked it for now but it would be nice if this issue is resolved in a next release.

bcrook

Jun 16, 2009
Toronto
Tasker Integration

It would be awesome if we could start/stop the server based on a Tasker event / NFC scan. Otherwise, it seems like a great app so far.

Thanks!

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
It would be awesome if we could start/stop the server based on a Tasker event / NFC scan. Otherwise, it seems like a great app so far.

Thanks!
The new version (just published in the play store) supports this feature.
To start/stop the service you can fire the following broadcast intents:

Free version:
  • start: berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.START
  • stop: berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.STOP
Pro version:
  • start: berserker.android.apps.sshdroidpro.command.START
  • stop: berserker.android.apps.sshdroidpro.command.STOP

Let me know if it works :)

bcrook

Jun 16, 2009
Toronto

Free version:
Pro version:

That works perfectly! Thanks so much!

I was having some issues w/ my scp'd files being empty but that seems to be OK now.

Thanks!

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
STILL not working with ICS. Locks up, stops transfers, very unreliable. MIUI on Moto XT910.

I've used the ad-based version for about a year on GB, and now ICS has been out for a year and SSHDroid is still nonfunctional. Now I'm glad I didn't buy it.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Same experience for me, the app not working properly on Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It can't get dropbear's PID.

I switched to using DigiSSHD.

=========

EDIT: So that no one gets confused, not reading the responses below. This is not a prob with SSHDroid, or rather I don't know if it also happens with it, but a problem that is present with QuickSSHD, another ssh software...

Last edited:

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
STILL not working with ICS. Locks up, stops transfers, very unreliable. MIUI on Moto XT910.

I've used the ad-based version for about a year on GB, and now ICS has been out for a year and SSHDroid is still nonfunctional. Now I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Same experience for me, the app not working properly on Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It can't get dropbear's PID.

I switched to using DigiSSHD.

Please can you post here your logcat?

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Oh no - face-palm - I've confused the app. This problem that I've had, that caused me to switch, was with QuickSSHD, not with SSHDroid. Sorry about the daft response above...

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
How do I pull a logcat? It intermittently hangs and drops connexion in the middle of transfers. I have to reboot the phone. And sometimes when I start SSHDroid it comes up with a blank screen and never shows anything else. Reboot and same.

Kraetzin

Nov 5, 2012
Whenever I run SSHDroid and press start on my RAZR i, it throws up the following error in the log:

Code:
 INFO: Cannot generate RSA key: link_image[1936]: 9213 could not load needed library 'liblog.so' for '/data/data/berserker.android.apps.sshdroid/dropbear/dropbearkey' (reloc_library[1453]: 9213 unknown reloc type 7 @ 0x403a4ba4 (0))CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE

There's a pop up that appears for half a second but I don't have time to read it, and then the server stops. Any ideas what the cause could be?

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
How do I pull a logcat? It intermittently hangs and drops connexion in the middle of transfers. I have to reboot the phone. And sometimes when I start SSHDroid it comes up with a blank screen and never shows anything else. Reboot and same.
Is't very easy if you are familiar with adb, just type:
Code:
adb logcat -d > logcat.txt
to dump the content to a file.
Let me know.

Whenever I run SSHDroid and press start on my RAZR i, it throws up the following error in the log:

Code:
 INFO: Cannot generate RSA key: link_image[1936]: 9213 could not load needed library 'liblog.so' for '/data/data/berserker.android.apps.sshdroid/dropbear/dropbearkey' (reloc_library[1453]: 9213 unknown reloc type 7 @ 0x403a4ba4 (0))CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE

There's a pop up that appears for half a second but I don't have time to read it, and then the server stops. Any ideas what the cause could be?
Does your phone have a x86 processor?SSHDroid doesn't support it yet (but I plan to implement this soon).

bcrook

Jun 16, 2009
Toronto
Setting Up Your Tasker Task

Free version:
Pro version:

I had a couple of people ask me how I set this up in Tasker, so here it goes...

1. Create a new Task (eg. Start SSHDroid) in Tasker
  2. Add a new action > Misc > Send Intent
  3. Set the action to berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.START , Cat = None, the rest you can leave as defaults
  4. Save the action and task
  5. Repeat for berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.STOP intent
  6. Create a profile to trigger the tasks (or launch w/ NFC or whatever you want)

You can test the Task by clicking on the Task and clicking the Play icon in the lower right of the popup. It should start the server right away (Screenshot).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

78Staff

Sep 26, 2007
Cosmo, Fl

3. Set the action to berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.START , Cat = None, the rest you can leave as defaults
  6. Create a profile to trigger the tasks (or launch w/ NFC or whatever you want)

You can test the Task by clicking on the Task and clicking the Play icon in the lower right of the popup. It should start the server right away (Screenshot).

Hope this helps!

This worked great, thanks. I am running into issues where the STOP is not working, but I think it's on the SSHDroidPro side, not Tasker. Stopping within the app also fails - this is after it has been running/connected for a long period of time, say 2 days or so...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SSHDroid is a SSH server for Android (more informations about SSH here).
    This application will let you to connect to your device from your PC and execute commands (like "terminal" and "adb shell") or edit files (through SFTP, WinSCP, Cyberduck, etc...).

Windows users:
    - File Transfer: WinSCP.
    - Remote Shell: PuTTY

Linux users:
    - File Transfer: natively supported by most file managers (like Nautilus or Dolphin), just enter the sftp address displayed as location.
    - Remote Shell: run 'ssh' from the terminal

Mac users:
    - File Transfer: Cyberduck
    - Remote Shell: run 'ssh' from the terminal

Root is supported (in particular if you need to execute it on the predefined SSH port that is 22) but not required.

FAQs:
    • q: Why my transfer speed decrease when I turn off the screen?
      a: Enable the option 'Lock Wifi'. If your device is running at least Android 2.3.x, you should get full speed transfer even when the screen is off, otherwise enable the option 'Lock screen' too.
    • q: How can I use a shared key with Putty/Winscp?
      a: You have to generate a key from the application in OpenSSH format and use Puttygen to import/convert it in ppk format. A recent version of Puttygen (>= 0.61) is required!
    • q: How can I upgrade to the pro version?
      a: If you previously purchased SSHDroidPro on Google Play, the new version will automatically detect it and upgrade to pro otherwise you can unlock it as in-app purchase.
    • q: How can I automate the application start/stop?
      a: Use the following broadcast intents:
      • START: berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.START
      • STOP: berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.STOP

SSHDroid on Google Play

Changelog 2.1.0
    • rsync is now included in SSHDroid (sperimental build with libiconv support)
    • Fixed a problem with importing keys >= 2048 bit
    • Fixed a problem with in-app purchase restore
    • Google Play Services updated
    • Optimized layout for tablets
    • Minor UI changes
    Changelog 2.0.8
    • Chinese language updated
    • minor changes
    Changelog 2.0.7
    • fixed a bug on key import
    Changelog 2.0.6
    • minor changes
    Changelog 2.0.5
    • bugfix release
    Changelog 2.0.4
    • fixed an issue with the "path" (scp is back)
    • minor changes
    Changelog 2.0.3
    • fixed a bug with shared keys auth and homefolder
    • compatibility fixes for S4 and Note 3
    Changelog 2.0.2
    • fixed an issue with root permissions
    Changelog 2.0.1
    • fixed a bug in the initialization (Dialog not disappearing)
    • fixed the layout in the help (bottom links are now visible)
    • minor changes
    Changelog 2.0.0
    • complete UI rewrite!
    • sperimental x86/mips support
    • homescreen and lockscreen widget (pro)
    • WiFi autostart's white list (pro)
    • new option to allow app execution without root privileges (on rooted devices)
    • new option "autostart service"
    • new option to enable verbose logging
    • better home folder selection
    • better file picker
    • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
    • busybox updated to 1.21.0
    • no more adchecker (pro version has more features)
    Changelog 1.9.4
    • ICS compatibility fixes
    • Dropbear updated to 0.53.1 (SSH tunneling now works)
    • Busybox now supports DNS names resolution
    • Active connections are now closed correctly once the service is stopped
    • Special characters in the password are now supported
    Changelog 1.9.0
    • SSH keys management
    • Busybox updated to last stable release (1.18.5)
    • Custom shell profile option (add busybox binaries to the path with improved shell)
    • WiFi lock option
    • Application icon option
    • The main application icon can now be long pressed to toggle the SSH service (short press is supported too)
    • Login banner option
    • Port forwarding should now be fixed
    • Help updated
    • New translations: spanish, german and french
    • AdMob SDK updated (free version only)
    • AdChecker now allows to revert the hosts file (free version only)
    If you want to translate SSHDroid into a new language:
    • download the attached file (strings.zip)
    • edit the xml inside the zip (strings.xml) in this way:

Original line:
      <string name="key_dialog_format">File format</string>
      Translated line:
      <string name="key_dialog_format">My translation of File format</string>
      Please do not translate anything inside the "name" attribute:
      <string name="do not translate this">
      But only:
      <string name="my_key">Please translate only this part</string>
    • Attach in this topic a modified version of the file or send me a pm with the download link (please remember to indicate the new language!)

I'll be glad for every contribution :)

Available translations:
    Use SSHDroid for Tethering !

SSHDroid could be used for tethering purpose:
    • Doesn't require a separate tethering plan
    • Not blockable or detectable by carriers
    • Doesn't require root
    • Doesn't require to install additional software on your PC
    More info here.
    welg.png
    If you want to become a beta tester of this app please follow these steps:
    Support this project
    Wow I've been copycatted ;)

QuickSSHd ($1.50 USD)
    snap1.png
    quicksshd_small_qrcode.png

http://www.appbrain.com/app/quicksshd/com.teslacoilsw.quicksshd

Right down to the Help page
    quicksshd_help.png
    sshdroid_help.png

I'm not going to make a big fuss as the core part (Dropbear), for both projects, is open source and we're both setup on github posting the modified sources which is good.
    QuickSSHd's dropbear's github: https://github.com/barryk/android_external_dropbear
    SSHDroid's dropbear's github: https://github.com/berserker/android_external_dropbear

But I would appreciate it if you tried to differentiate a little more and wrote your own help page. The interfaces are also very similar, but that's at least a relatively natural interface for a program that controls an SSH Daemon and needs to provide information on such.

-Kevin
    TeslaCoil Software
    P.S.: the application is free

I don't agree with the app being "free" if it's ad supported AND forces itself to quit if Ads are disabled on the phone (ie... via Ad killers like AdFree).

I see you also have a 'Pro' version of the app for ~$1.30US, but now that there's a 15min only refund window, I was interested in trying out your software but I'm feeling a little "trapped" into having to either allow Ads or buy your app outright (no way any decent amount of testing can be done within 15min).

Sorry, but for me, I'm going to pass.
    I'm working on the "PIE" issue so please expect an update soon :good:
    Setting Up Your Tasker Task

Free version:
    Pro version:

Hope this helps!