APP 2.1 Stock Rom - Camera Mod V10 - 4mbps video(better fps) / better pictures!

Search This thread

28spawn

Jul 10, 2008
Hello, there is my modded camera app.

The changelog:

V1

Initial release - 128kpbs audio 24khz
A little camera improvement to record and capture

V2

Audio improvement - fixed 128kbps 44.1khz audio
Improved fps on video - video recording runs almost the time smoothly just a few lags like 1sec when the system have to adjust the white balance(can happens sometime, and depends of your sd card capabilitie)
Faster auto-focus in both functions (camcorder and camera).
A little more post processing on pictures

V3

A little video and picture improving.
Faster image saving.
Touch capture problem stills, trying to manage something to make it works better.

V4

Picture improvement.
Saving takes about 1~2secs.

V5

Picture improvement
Black Layout

V6

Build over .435 stock app ROM
Number of pictures now its right.

V7 - Actual release.

Fix audio bug by reducing audio specs, now is 96kbps and 16khz ( the audio continue stoping before video but is only about 0,3~0,5s, the original camera does it too)
8mpbs video capturing - more smooth videos.
Video capturing time is corrected like on the V6 for pictures.

V8 - built over 435 original file

No audio mods - the sound should work 100% without delays
Same picture quality as v7 improved macro mode
Video bitrate can be modded with build.prop

V9 - Used .16 file

Audio mod to 96kbps and 44.1khz frequency but audio cutted on the last 2 seconds

reduced bps for video, from 6mbps to 3,5mbps, gives me better fps, on good/medium light conditions always 24fps

dont use this with build.prop modifications it wont change nothing

V10 (image mod as v8 and new video mods)

Following V9 specs but:

Increased bps from 3.5mbps to 4mbps = less pixelization and same improvement in general fps (max / min / avg)

audio original but with 96kbps/16khz, take about 5 movies and the audio got sync!

Tips.

Defrag your SD card it can make all the system works better

Macro Mode: Use macro mode if the image that you´re capturing is below 10cm else use normal mode.

Tests.
Daylight capture
http://www.mediafire.com/?j3caga4dnff7jb7

I installed Vignette to make a comparative configuration 8mpx and superfine!

All pics are with fluorescent light.

Close image capture
comparative.png

comparative2.png

Medium Distance Pic - 15~30cm
Semc
middlesemc.png

Vignette
middlevignette.png

High Distance - 1meter +
Semc
farsemc.png

Vignette
farvignette.png

New V5 comparative - both apps set to maximum quality and macro mode

macromode.png

Please post your feedbacks!

Tks!

V7 Only SE Layout - http://www.mediafire.com/?9tid185draax8mp
Alternative link - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YIGG2PGB

V8 http://www.mediafire.com/?7oaf74dzrcfdi3c
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DGXM51ZO

v10http://www.multiupload.com/WK1EO8W2JE[/URL]

Now I´m starting to think that the original app its getting closer or even better to Vignette! the macro mode is the only mode that vignette remains superior but depends if the software focus correclty the object, but in other modes and distances it seems to be very good, and having a file 2mb smaller and don´t have to wait more than 3 seconds to take the next picture and after that I can connect my usb cable to open my pics on pc, to me, there is no reason to keep with vignette if you only wants to take picture and not use filters =), but you decide!

Instructions (new steps 2)

Using Root Manager copy the SemcCameraApplication.apk to /system/app overwriting the original one.
Long press on the overwrited app and select Permissions, and make sure that these options are checked: the whole first column and the first from the second.

snap20110120_070159.png

*img credits My_Immortal

Step 2 only for V8!!!

To record with max bitrate you need to add these line on build.prop of your phone

ATENTION - IF YOUR CAMCORDER START CRASHING WHEN RECORDING TRY LOW DOWN THE BPS OF VIDEOS LIKE 8000000=8mbps to 6000000=6mbps, BECAUSE YOUR SD CARD CAN´T HANDLE THIS BPS

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.bps=6000000,16000000
ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.fps=21,24
ro.media.enc.vid.h263.bps=6000000,16000000
ro.media.enc.vid.h263.fps=21,24
ro.media.enc.vid.mp4.bps=6000000,16000000
ro.media.enc.vid.mp4.fps=21,24

Original LordKitsuna build.prop modification

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.bps = 800000000,800000000
ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.fps = 18,30
ro.media.enc.vid.h263.bps = 800000000,800000000
ro.media.enc.vid.h263.fps = 18,30
ro.media.enc.vid.mp4.bps = 800000000,800000000
ro.media.enc.vid.mp4.fps = 18,30
*thanks to LordKitsuna !

Don´t know how to edit build.prop, you must open it on a text editor and modify.

Reboot and be happy!

Last edited:

28spawn

Jul 10, 2008
I'm still looking inside.

Ive got a better camrecording.

Seems that 128kbps is the limit to audio.

Soon I release a xrecovery v2 version

Hope you enjoy.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

kultus

Jul 7, 2007
Sry, cant see any improve in photo samples...does the 100% improve something??? The image size before and after is almost the same...

28spawn

Jul 10, 2008
Hi,

Is not for 2.2 users, maybe in a close future when I finish it I start to play with 2.2.

I am still modding. The picture jpeg compression was changed, but I changed a little more things to come in v2!

Thanks for your feedback

kultus

Jul 7, 2007
cant wait Im taking photos all the time more than taking videos...

PS:My thought is, that increase of jpeg compression HAVE to increase size (MB) of the photos, this is my experience from other phones (samsung i8510, i8910, SE Vivaz)...I made photos before and after the change and the size was +-the same 30kB difference...

javagreen

Aug 10, 2010
Dombivli
Any improvements in the 720p recording area? Maybe you could try fiddling with it to see if we can get a better video quality with better fps as well?

28spawn

Jul 10, 2008
cant wait Im taking photos all the time more than taking videos...

PS:My thought is, that increase of jpeg compression HAVE to increase size (MB) of the photos, this is my experience from other phones (samsung i8510, i8910, SE Vivaz)...I made photos before and after the change and the size was +-the same 30kB difference...

No problem, I am start to looking into these configurations to see how can we make it better!

I found the sizes configuration and limits and I will increase them, I will too decrease jpeg compression, we can have a better image.

I am posting too a video source from a test with my current camera app, while I am testing.

noisetest.png

Image comparation - details (pictures take at night)

Daylight [email protected] 24fps avarage

http://www.mediafire.com/?ub9ve3i0bl21nd4

Night video @ 17fps

http://www.mediafire.com/?h30c8f2hctxcgje

the videos look prety decent to me, but I´m still working to get better results

Tks

Last edited:

28spawn

Jul 10, 2008
Any improvements in the 720p recording area? Maybe you could try fiddling with it to see if we can get a better video quality with better fps as well?

Looking at the videos that I posted, you will see, after a camera movimentation the images get stable very fast! and the autofocus it´s working a little better (changed the search time to take less time between focusing)

there is low fps just a few moments, comparing with some old videos I this its getting better

I will work now and when I back, I will made some adjustments in the cam app to fix some issues I was looking like, have to double press camera buttom to start video, some crashs, incorrect time left calculation.

the quality of the image we can get better with a little more bps but I´m looking for this because seems to be limited by micro sd card.

kultus

Jul 7, 2007
No problem, I am start to looking into these configurations to see how can we make it better!

I found the sizes configuration and limits and I will increase them, I will too decrease jpeg compression, we can have a better image.

I am posting too a video source from a test with my current camera app, while I am testing.

noisetest.png

Image comparation - details (pictures take at night)

Daylight [email protected] 24fps avarage

http://www.mediafire.com/?ub9ve3i0bl21nd4

Night video @ 17fps

http://www.mediafire.com/?h30c8f2hctxcgje

the videos look prety decent to me, but I´m still working to get better results

Tks

really appreciate your work...just suggestion please compare pictures (different compression) in good light conditional as the low light really messes pictures and degrades your improvements...

...please could you look into one function in camera it calls touch capture...it never focuses on near object but to background when the near object isn't in center of camera sight...Im sure you know what I mean...

28spawn

Jul 10, 2008
Thanks! :D

But it's possible to put 128 kbps & 44.1 KHz in the audio quality? :D

I´m still testing,

Done some improvements in video recording and photo, but seems that 44.1khz is not disponible, I´m looking to estereo sound but not implemented yet

Ill try this right now for you.

And try to find some fix for the touch capture

regards

Last edited:
Reactions: [email protected]

28spawn

Jul 10, 2008
I will take a look to see what I can improve.

Tks.

admad

Dec 27, 2010
Hmm I see some good job here :) Just a question, can You modify camera app to bring LED flash shortcut to the main screen? Going through advanced options just to enable flash is real pain.

Also tried touch capture, doesn't work for objects at ~10cm.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, there is my modded camera app.

The changelog:

V1

Initial release - 128kpbs audio 24khz
    A little camera improvement to record and capture

V2

Audio improvement - fixed 128kbps 44.1khz audio
    Improved fps on video - video recording runs almost the time smoothly just a few lags like 1sec when the system have to adjust the white balance(can happens sometime, and depends of your sd card capabilitie)
    Faster auto-focus in both functions (camcorder and camera).
    A little more post processing on pictures

V3

A little video and picture improving.
    Faster image saving.
    Touch capture problem stills, trying to manage something to make it works better.

V4

Picture improvement.
    Saving takes about 1~2secs.

V5

Picture improvement
    Black Layout

V6

Build over .435 stock app ROM
    Number of pictures now its right.

V7 - Actual release.

Fix audio bug by reducing audio specs, now is 96kbps and 16khz ( the audio continue stoping before video but is only about 0,3~0,5s, the original camera does it too)
    8mpbs video capturing - more smooth videos.
    Video capturing time is corrected like on the V6 for pictures.

V8 - built over 435 original file

No audio mods - the sound should work 100% without delays
    Same picture quality as v7 improved macro mode
    Video bitrate can be modded with build.prop

V9 - Used .16 file

Audio mod to 96kbps and 44.1khz frequency but audio cutted on the last 2 seconds

reduced bps for video, from 6mbps to 3,5mbps, gives me better fps, on good/medium light conditions always 24fps

dont use this with build.prop modifications it wont change nothing

V10 (image mod as v8 and new video mods)

Following V9 specs but:

Increased bps from 3.5mbps to 4mbps = less pixelization and same improvement in general fps (max / min / avg)

audio original but with 96kbps/16khz, take about 5 movies and the audio got sync!

Tips.

Defrag your SD card it can make all the system works better

Macro Mode: Use macro mode if the image that you´re capturing is below 10cm else use normal mode.

Tests.
    Daylight capture
    http://www.mediafire.com/?j3caga4dnff7jb7

I installed Vignette to make a comparative configuration 8mpx and superfine!

All pics are with fluorescent light.

Close image capture
    comparative.png

comparative2.png

Medium Distance Pic - 15~30cm
    Semc
    middlesemc.png

Vignette
    middlevignette.png

High Distance - 1meter +
    Semc
    farsemc.png

Vignette
    farvignette.png

New V5 comparative - both apps set to maximum quality and macro mode

macromode.png

Please post your feedbacks!

Tks!

V7 Only SE Layout - http://www.mediafire.com/?9tid185draax8mp
    Alternative link - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YIGG2PGB

V8 http://www.mediafire.com/?7oaf74dzrcfdi3c
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DGXM51ZO

v10http://www.multiupload.com/WK1EO8W2JE[/URL]

Now I´m starting to think that the original app its getting closer or even better to Vignette! the macro mode is the only mode that vignette remains superior but depends if the software focus correclty the object, but in other modes and distances it seems to be very good, and having a file 2mb smaller and don´t have to wait more than 3 seconds to take the next picture and after that I can connect my usb cable to open my pics on pc, to me, there is no reason to keep with vignette if you only wants to take picture and not use filters =), but you decide!

Instructions (new steps 2)

Using Root Manager copy the SemcCameraApplication.apk to /system/app overwriting the original one.
    Long press on the overwrited app and select Permissions, and make sure that these options are checked: the whole first column and the first from the second.

snap20110120_070159.png

*img credits My_Immortal

Step 2 only for V8!!!

To record with max bitrate you need to add these line on build.prop of your phone

ATENTION - IF YOUR CAMCORDER START CRASHING WHEN RECORDING TRY LOW DOWN THE BPS OF VIDEOS LIKE 8000000=8mbps to 6000000=6mbps, BECAUSE YOUR SD CARD CAN´T HANDLE THIS BPS

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.bps=6000000,16000000
    ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.fps=21,24
    ro.media.enc.vid.h263.bps=6000000,16000000
    ro.media.enc.vid.h263.fps=21,24
    ro.media.enc.vid.mp4.bps=6000000,16000000
    ro.media.enc.vid.mp4.fps=21,24

Original LordKitsuna build.prop modification

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.bps = 800000000,800000000
    ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.fps = 18,30
    ro.media.enc.vid.h263.bps = 800000000,800000000
    ro.media.enc.vid.h263.fps = 18,30
    ro.media.enc.vid.mp4.bps = 800000000,800000000
    ro.media.enc.vid.mp4.fps = 18,30
    *thanks to LordKitsuna !

Don´t know how to edit build.prop, you must open it on a text editor and modify.

Reboot and be happy!
    did you guys realized that even with good light conditions photos lost sharpness and detail!!! I dont know why and how can I beware of that...macro is good, mid range photos (cca 2-5m) good too, but far distances are horrible most of the time...could someone give some advice???

PS: Its not problem only with this mod but its problem also with stock camera apk...

PS2: made some test photos and can say that this mode is as good as vignette and in some photos even better...

The reason why the SE camera app sucks is because it uses to much compression! And to much noise reduction resulting in blurry photos. If you have image stabilizer ON I strongly suggest to turn it off as it cause more image blur and does the camera more harm than good.
    This mod, helps with the compression and 28spawn did a damn good job with it. However, with the newest firmware .435 from SE it seems as tho they addressed the problems themeselves...so this mod isn't needed in the .435 firmware.
    Also, I did install this mod when I updated my phone yesterday, and I don't know if its the new firmware or not but the video recording is WAY off! All the sounds are much ahead of the video itself.

Vignette is a awesome app because you get to set the compression yourself...but this mod is just as good...if not better in some shots I have been taking. But if your on the newest firmware...this mod or vignette arent needed from what I can tell...but lemme do some more tests tomorrow.

Also, if your not getting good results in far distance...it may be your focus settings. If your using single auto focus for far distance that may not be good enough....for far distance try the "infinity" focus,,,works like a charm.
    Also, you may want to look into your metering modes...as I find Average (which is also known as Matrix) to be the best and most accurate for everyday use...but depending on what kind of shot you wanna take the other modes would be more sufficient.
    Hello testers :)

In almost to launch v8 final I didnt do anything about video it keeps stock until I find some modification that really improve video quality
    For now I can say that macro mode seems to be freaking good maybe hitting vignette on some pictures. And it is fasttt....

And overall picture seems good for me with real colours.

Soon I post some pictures and the v8.

Bye

V8 release first page!

sent from my x10a jit + xrecovery .435
    Hello All,

Now I will start to work on froyo 2.2 from jdzihu.

Since there here was a lot of evolution it seems to be a lot limited on 2.1.

And if we want to reach 30fps h264 recording it is only possible with 2.2 because of news APIs.

Any problem with any app plz tell me and I will try to solve as soon as possible.

Tks
    Yes, it's better to not edit it otherwise you will have videos with an higher BPS so a big final file, but an equal quality ;)

I can see an improvement in quality. Far less picture noise too.A lot of this thread has become opinion...

Sent from my X10a using XDA App