[App] [2.1+] SwitchMe Multiple User Accounts - Securely Share Your Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ftgg99

Account currently disabled
Mar 20, 2010
SwitchMe - share your device!

SwitchMe is a unique application for root users that allows you to log in and out of multiple installations of Android just as you would on a desktop computer.

SwitchMe is a unique application for root users that allows you to log in and out of multiple user spaces just as you would on a desktop computer, with each profile having its own separate system settings, apps and data.

Some of the benefits of this technology:

Privacy
Securely share one device among many users, protect your accounts with passwords and log out automatically.

Kids
Create a profile for the kids, with only the apps and access you feel comfortable with.

Gaming
Overclock your profile for maximum performance in intensive games

Speed
Imagine a buttery smooth profile, with no kids games, messengers or bloatware to slow things down.

Testing
Create a sandbox profile to easily test applications and themes - no more nandroid nightmares!

Battery
Switch to a profile which only contains the essentials to save power through brute force.

Critical usage warning:

Incorrect use of this application can potentially harm your device. Before proceeding with use we strongly recommend that you perform a full nandroid backup through the device recovery.

READ THE HELP FILE CAREFULLY TO AVOID ISSUES

Without the Key, this application allows a maximum of 2 profiles and no security features.

Only the standard Android implementation of Apps2SD is currently supported. Use all others at your own risk.

Most devices should be compatible as long as they have enough free internal memory to create secondary profiles. The application will warn users if available memory is low.
These of course are only suggestions - there are plenty of other uses for the functionality SwitchMe offers.

Market link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme

The free version allows the creation of two profiles and has no security features.

Screens:

Last edited:

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Adminitrator accounts
Any profile on the device can be given elevated-privelage administrator rights. These accounts have the ability to wipe all profiles from the device, or delete individual profiles. An administrator however can not switch to other password-protected accounts, only remove them or grant them administrator permissions.

Once you have granted admin rights to a profile, the owner of that profile will have the same privilages as you. You can revoke these rights from the same menu in security settings.

Incompatibility errors
These are usually caused by Superuser installations outside /system. If you find that this error occurs inside a newly created profile, go to the market and download the Superuser app and then go back into SwitchMe. You should now be able to switch back to your original profile.

These can also be used by erroneous A2SD links in your ROM. Try another if you need this app to work.

Custom Roms
Most stock based roms work flawlessly, some custom ones do not. We know that MIUI currently has framework glitches. CM7 and CM9 are known to work well - tested on Xoom, Xoom 2, Galaxy Nexus, Transformer 101/201/301 and Galaxy Tab 7.7/8.9/10.1, Incredible S, Sensation, Iconia tabs, Nexus 7

Last edited:

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
A general to do list from user feedback (not exclusive)

Must have
Widget like in Call Master [done]
Encryption
Export profiles to SD
Location aware (probably through Tasker)

Could use
More detailed info
App/data sharing
Custom lockscreen

Would be nice
Support for A2SD etc [done]
Reserve space for profiles

Last edited:

008bond

Oct 27, 2011
Seems really amazing! but sounds risky, so I will wait for feedback from others. I just hope that the switching does not take up too much time or battery for that matter.

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Seems really amazing! but sounds risky, so I will wait for feedback from others. I just hope that the switching does not take up too much time or battery for that matter.

It will warn you if there is not enough space... so unless you have trouble reading warnings its pretty much risk free.

Will this work on a Samsung exhibit II

via Dan swagger

I dont see why not. Just make sure your current profile doesnt take up more than half the ROM if you clone it.

Reactions: dtr145r

Wond3r

Aug 24, 2008
Is it possible to run two different android Roms ?

as in - On one profile have CM7 and on another profile have a stock based rom

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
No. Only multiple installations of the same base rom. Any content inside /system cannot not be changed.

Reactions: nadi007

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Well this worked for me on MIUI on MT4G, but on the profile I created, there was no status bar... is that normal?

You mean you switched to a new profile and there was no status bar? Or you cloned it and there was no status bar?

Maybe you could help us debug - post a screenshot, use the "Write to us" function?

simplyrafa8

Nov 5, 2011
Yuma, AZ
You mean you switched to a new profile and there was no status bar? Or you cloned it and there was no status bar?

Maybe you could help us debug - post a screenshot, use the "Write to us" function?

I switched to a new one and there was none. I'll try again, if it's not there again, I'll screen shot it, and send you guys the image :)

Reactions: ftgg99

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Better send logs as well. Be sure to include a description - "no status bar in new profile" or something to that effect.

simplyrafa8

Nov 5, 2011
Yuma, AZ

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1327601207498.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1327601207498.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,128

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Interesting... i think this is fixable. Are you using a custom one? Or storing any apps on the sd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SwitchMe - share your device!

SwitchMe is a unique application for root users that allows you to log in and out of multiple installations of Android just as you would on a desktop computer.

SwitchMe is a unique application for root users that allows you to log in and out of multiple user spaces just as you would on a desktop computer, with each profile having its own separate system settings, apps and data.

Some of the benefits of this technology:

Privacy
    Securely share one device among many users, protect your accounts with passwords and log out automatically.

Kids
    Create a profile for the kids, with only the apps and access you feel comfortable with.

Gaming
    Overclock your profile for maximum performance in intensive games

Speed
    Imagine a buttery smooth profile, with no kids games, messengers or bloatware to slow things down.

Testing
    Create a sandbox profile to easily test applications and themes - no more nandroid nightmares!

Battery
    Switch to a profile which only contains the essentials to save power through brute force.

Critical usage warning:

Incorrect use of this application can potentially harm your device. Before proceeding with use we strongly recommend that you perform a full nandroid backup through the device recovery.

READ THE HELP FILE CAREFULLY TO AVOID ISSUES

Without the Key, this application allows a maximum of 2 profiles and no security features.

Only the standard Android implementation of Apps2SD is currently supported. Use all others at your own risk.

Most devices should be compatible as long as they have enough free internal memory to create secondary profiles. The application will warn users if available memory is low.
    These of course are only suggestions - there are plenty of other uses for the functionality SwitchMe offers.

Market link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme

The free version allows the creation of two profiles and has no security features.

Screens:

I just tried it on Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Tab 10.1 - it works amazingly!!! Now going to make a secret private profile for my double life ;)
    Adminitrator accounts
    Any profile on the device can be given elevated-privelage administrator rights. These accounts have the ability to wipe all profiles from the device, or delete individual profiles. An administrator however can not switch to other password-protected accounts, only remove them or grant them administrator permissions.

Once you have granted admin rights to a profile, the owner of that profile will have the same privilages as you. You can revoke these rights from the same menu in security settings.

Incompatibility errors
    These are usually caused by Superuser installations outside /system. If you find that this error occurs inside a newly created profile, go to the market and download the Superuser app and then go back into SwitchMe. You should now be able to switch back to your original profile.

These can also be used by erroneous A2SD links in your ROM. Try another if you need this app to work.

Custom Roms
    Most stock based roms work flawlessly, some custom ones do not. We know that MIUI currently has framework glitches. CM7 and CM9 are known to work well - tested on Xoom, Xoom 2, Galaxy Nexus, Transformer 101/201/301 and Galaxy Tab 7.7/8.9/10.1, Incredible S, Sensation, Iconia tabs, Nexus 7
    A general to do list from user feedback (not exclusive)

Must have
    Widget like in Call Master [done]
    Encryption
    Export profiles to SD
    Location aware (probably through Tasker)

Could use
    More detailed info
    App/data sharing
    Custom lockscreen

Would be nice
    Support for A2SD etc [done]
    Reserve space for profiles
    An update has been released and should be available for download in half an hour or so. Heres the gist:

- Fixed Superuser issue (please recreate all your profiles or install Superuser from the market in all previously created profiles if this issue affected you)
    - Fixed start up crash on some 2.1 and 2.2 devices
    - Fixed many device-specific bugs
    - Reworked UI (new profile selector, new details)
    - Added more warning screens
    - Added administrator account functionality
    - Added full profile wipe

Have there been many instances of this getting stuck in a bootloop and needing a restore? I'm a bit nervous about putting it on my Prime since it doesn't have CWM yet and there's a scary usage warning.

Boot loops should only affect devices with small memory cards (and people who disregard the automatic low-memory warning the app will show). You should be fine, there is after all a recovery of some kind on the device.

What's the process of "undoing" the multiple profiles if ever needs be? I was going to look on the dev site from the market, and it's dead. Thanks. :)

We are in the process of creating a new site. To remove the profiles, use the Wipe feature in the settings of todays release.

Do you know if this will work on the Xperia Play?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

I dont see why not.