[APP] [2.2+] [8/17] InvisiBright 3.3 - Invisible Brightness Util!

Search This thread

dannygirsh

Oct 31, 2010
market.android.com
Hey guys, I have an app out called InvisiBright and I'm looking for your feedback. Here's a brief description:

Use search key hold or status bar shortcuts to activate an invisible overlay above any application. Then, simply swipe anywhere to adjust the brightness quickly. Done! It comes with other goodies like an auto-brightness toggle, a "tilt mode", and home screen shortcuts (for tablets) so....

Check it out!

Video Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7p-MMaUAE

Pro Version: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.DanGirshovich.T4B

Free Version:https://market.android.com/details?id=com.DanGirshovich.T4BF

All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

What other's think:

XDA Feature: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/invisibright-for-android/
Smoking Android Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIu9gIS9EkE
Addictive Tips Review: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...d-swipe-or-tilt-to-control-screen-brightness/
"Tech and Me" top 10 feature!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQhwF4msSk

Changelog:

3.3:
- Added volume overlay option (requested for modded Nook Color)
- Added option for lefties
- Changed slider height settings

3.2:
- Fixed app stack bug (when the settings open under touch/tilt)
- Misc optimizations
- More refactoring

3.1:
- Basic translucent slider panel option added to Touch Mode (still working on it)
- Added home screen shortcuts (use with Quick Launch or Home2 Shortcut)
- Fixed Tilt Mode flicker on some devices
- Percent notification doesn't linger after ending anymore
- Massive code refactoring/optimizing (prep for open sourcing)
- Cleaned up settings / defaults

Todo:
- Make slide pad prettier (fade animations, rounded corners)
- Switch percent toast for horizontal bar
- Add actual slider with preset level locks
- Fix notification date and add a brightness level indicator.
- correct lefty hint typo
- add shake listener to end tilt mode
- add option to tilt right/left instead
- add advanced setting to set min/max brightness levels (going too low is dangerous on some phones)
- ... idk, you tell me ;)

Attachments

• InvisiBright33Pro.apk
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,422
Last edited:

ScottHW

Sep 23, 2010
Suggestions

Dan, thanks for starting the thread! Responsive Devs always get Donations ;)

So, I was blown away to find InvisiBright. I've been using the Curvefish widget (just like, oh, everybody) and a year ago I thought it was hands-down the best. Not any more.

I was searching for something that might be integrated into the Notification Bar. Basically, just pull down the Notification Bar and there's the exact same things from the Curvefish widget; preset levels, toggle for AutoBrightness, and/or a slider.
Your app is a lot better than that. I stumbled across it from your DroidForums post.

Long Press Search should be a much more common feature, for tons of apps. Especially since it's just an option, easily changed, and SOO easy to code!
Good idea including it, and a pretty good Pro upgrade. Lite still works great, Pro is just a bit better.

Here are my suggestions, may or may not be good ideas, or even possible;

• Semi-transparent (with user adjustable alpha) overlay on the (right) slider side, when changing the brightness level; then you can tell which part of the screen is Adjust, and which is Confirm
  • Sliding level indicator, (e.g. 3-px yellow line?) to go along with the Toast of percentage (user selected option, just like the "Show percentage" option)
  • Preset levels, preferably user-set; possibly snap the slider to the presets. Or maybe Far Right = Slider, Middle = Preset buttons, left = confirm
  • Shorter Toast duration after left-touching to set the level
  • Confirmation that the level has been set (but this might be addressed by the disappearing of the semi-transparent slider)
  • Vertical/horizontal slider option
  • Toggle for Auto Brightness EDIT: maybe "- Quick toggle back to auto-brightness with menu key" addresses this already... I haven't tried that Pro feature yet...

Common nerd favorites:
  • Donate, rather than Pro version, and/or
  • "XDA version"; Paid in the Market, Free here for supporters
  • Developer forum [x]!
  • Open Source [_] (but we can't always have everything)

Make one of the changes, and I'll buy the Pro to show support, and encourage you to do the rest!

(All my info is in my sig)

By the way, you are in close competition with Brightness Rocker. It's a pretty clever alternate-use of the otherwise single purpose Vol Up/Down buttons. But you responded faster than Nikhil, and went to XDA, even! And you don't have the conflict with actually changing the Volume in order to adjust brightness. Maybe you could figure out how to intercept the Vol Up/Down keys as a different trigger, since some of us have Long Press Search mapped to Camera, Screenshot, QR Scan, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: dannygirsh

dannygirsh

Oct 31, 2010
market.android.com
Thanks again for showing interest in my app! Here's what I think:

• Semi-transparent (with user adjustable alpha) overlay on the (right) slider side, when changing the brightness level; then you can tell which part of the screen is Adjust, and which is Confirm
  • Sliding level indicator, (e.g. 3-px yellow line?) to go along with the Toast of percentage (user selected option, just like the "Show percentage" option)
  • Preset levels, preferably user-set; possibly snap the slider to the presets. Or maybe Far Right = Slider, Middle = Preset buttons, left = confirm

These are all great ideas. They all slightly threaten the "invisibleness" of the overlay, but I don't see why they can't be options.

• Confirmation that the level has been set (but this might be addressed by the disappearing of the semi-transparent slider)

Easy fixes. I'm on it.

Does the XDA version hinge on only members having access to links posted? I'll consider this since I'd love to see the pro version gaining traction (whether or not I get the buck). Also, I'll try to open source it in about 1 month when the semester starts and my free time becomes non-existent :p

ScottHW

Sep 23, 2010
!!!

Wow! Correct answers on every single point!

A lot of XDA devs attach their .apk to a forum thread. I'm pretty sure you have to be a registered Member to download the file. Obviously, that's free and easy, but it's enough barrier that it keeps most of the riffraff out. Right off the top of my head, SetCPU is released like this, you could ask coolbho3000 about how well it works.

If/when you do Open Source it, you'll also need to have a slightly higher level for people to contribute, a $4 Donate app or something.
I can't promise that always works, but some of us will pay for good Devs to do good work.

ScottHW

Sep 23, 2010
Touch screen to launch...?

Other idea (I'm just throwing them out there, this one might be a lot of work)

SwipePad activates from a touch in a particular part of the screen (corner, side, etc.)
https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.conduction.swipepad.android

Maybe InvisiBright could activate the same way; an option to press and hold for a second in the lower right to launch InvisiBright. In that case, some kind of visible feedback would be more necessary.

It might end up pretty similar to the popular SGS style bar
examples:
Port the Samsung Galaxy S notification bar brightness slider
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=832977

Android Hidden Shortcut: Quickly Adjust Screen Brightness From Notification Bar (Galaxy S specifically, with video)
http://techx64.com/android-hidden-shortcut-quickly-adjust-screen-brightness-from-notification-bar/

I'm not trying to corrupt the "Invisi" nature of this fantastic app, I swear!

ScottHW

Sep 23, 2010
Notification Bar

I just noticed that you haven't overridden the Notification Bar when sliding the brightness. If my finger reaches the top of the screen and then slides back down, it will catch and pull down the Notif Bar, rather than lowering the brightness.

Not sure what the best way to address that would be...

dannygirsh

Oct 31, 2010
market.android.com
I just noticed that you haven't overridden the Notification Bar when sliding the brightness. If my finger reaches the top of the screen and then slides back down, it will catch and pull down the Notif Bar, rather than lowering the brightness.

Not sure what the best way to address that would be...

There's a setting to adjust the buffers for touch mode.You can make the 100 percent spot far from the notification bar to avoid this issue (and your swipe will change the brightness slightly faster to compensate) . I remember adding these because I couldnt figure out how to override the notification bar without hiding it. I'll add it to my list and give it another go. Let me know if the buffers help.

NCXC

Apr 15, 2011
D-town
Wicked app, thanks for posting the pro apk. I liked it so much I bought it on the market.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: dannygirsh

dannygirsh

Oct 31, 2010
market.android.com
Maybe InvisiBright could activate the same way; an option to press and hold for a second in the lower right to launch InvisiBright.

I use swipepad and think the concept is great. I'll look into how it can be added, but for now you should be able to get a very similar effect with swipepad. Just grab the widget add-on and throw the InvisiBright pro widget onto your pad. I've never tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work....

dannygirsh

Oct 31, 2010
market.android.com
Thanks again for the feedback and support. I'm planning on releasing 3.1 here for testing soon. Should have an translucent slide pad and better level indicator :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

watt9493

Dec 27, 2010
Croydon, PA
This works awesome. Super dim inside, long press search, swipe up, then go about my day walking around. :) thank you (htc incredible on 2.3.5)

Sent from outer space on OMGB

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Cool, I was JUST looking for apps to this on my new tablet.. Used to doing it via notification power widget, but using a stock ROM on it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I realize my tablet doesn't have a dedicated search key. :(

MPAI

Jun 13, 2011
Mumbai
Thanks again for the feedback and support. I'm planning on releasing 3.1 here for testing soon. Should have an translucent slide pad and better level indicator :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

Thanks. Really a great app. Waiting for the upcoming features. People who have download the attached pro apk will get d update?

stankyou

Dec 20, 2010
Huawei Nexus 6P
OnePlus 5T
I've been using this for quite a while now. Got sold by the long press search to activate option. One less toggle widget to add to my home screen. Thank you. Keep up the awesome work. :D

mcjordan92

May 27, 2011
Briliant!
I'm tired of this autobrightness that makes it so dark when I drive..
Works great..
BTW, can I change the key of making it start? Perhaps short tap on search button? Because the Google voice search is common feature for me rather then the Google search which I never use..
(And it also has no use if I'm not in home screen.)

Thanks.
Yarden

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I have an app out called InvisiBright and I'm looking for your feedback. Here's a brief description:

Use search key hold or status bar shortcuts to activate an invisible overlay above any application. Then, simply swipe anywhere to adjust the brightness quickly. Done! It comes with other goodies like an auto-brightness toggle, a "tilt mode", and home screen shortcuts (for tablets) so....

Check it out!

Video Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7p-MMaUAE

Pro Version: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.DanGirshovich.T4B

Free Version:https://market.android.com/details?id=com.DanGirshovich.T4BF

All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

What other's think:

XDA Feature: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/invisibright-for-android/
    Smoking Android Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIu9gIS9EkE
    Addictive Tips Review: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...d-swipe-or-tilt-to-control-screen-brightness/
    "Tech and Me" top 10 feature!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQhwF4msSk

Changelog:

3.3:
    - Added volume overlay option (requested for modded Nook Color)
    - Added option for lefties
    - Changed slider height settings

3.2:
    - Fixed app stack bug (when the settings open under touch/tilt)
    - Misc optimizations
    - More refactoring

3.1:
    - Basic translucent slider panel option added to Touch Mode (still working on it)
    - Added home screen shortcuts (use with Quick Launch or Home2 Shortcut)
    - Fixed Tilt Mode flicker on some devices
    - Percent notification doesn't linger after ending anymore
    - Massive code refactoring/optimizing (prep for open sourcing)
    - Cleaned up settings / defaults

Todo:
    - Make slide pad prettier (fade animations, rounded corners)
    - Switch percent toast for horizontal bar
    - Add actual slider with preset level locks
    - Fix notification date and add a brightness level indicator.
    - correct lefty hint typo
    - add shake listener to end tilt mode
    - add option to tilt right/left instead
    - add advanced setting to set min/max brightness levels (going too low is dangerous on some phones)
    - ... idk, you tell me ;)
    Thanks again for showing interest in my app! Here's what I think:

These are all great ideas. They all slightly threaten the "invisibleness" of the overlay, but I don't see why they can't be options.

Easy fixes. I'm on it.

Does the XDA version hinge on only members having access to links posted? I'll consider this since I'd love to see the pro version gaining traction (whether or not I get the buck). Also, I'll try to open source it in about 1 month when the semester starts and my free time becomes non-existent :p
    Suggestions

Dan, thanks for starting the thread! Responsive Devs always get Donations ;)

So, I was blown away to find InvisiBright. I've been using the Curvefish widget (just like, oh, everybody) and a year ago I thought it was hands-down the best. Not any more.

I was searching for something that might be integrated into the Notification Bar. Basically, just pull down the Notification Bar and there's the exact same things from the Curvefish widget; preset levels, toggle for AutoBrightness, and/or a slider.
    Your app is a lot better than that. I stumbled across it from your DroidForums post.

Long Press Search should be a much more common feature, for tons of apps. Especially since it's just an option, easily changed, and SOO easy to code!
    Good idea including it, and a pretty good Pro upgrade. Lite still works great, Pro is just a bit better.

Here are my suggestions, may or may not be good ideas, or even possible;

• Toggle for Auto Brightness EDIT: maybe "- Quick toggle back to auto-brightness with menu key" addresses this already... I haven't tried that Pro feature yet...

Common nerd favorites:
    • Donate, rather than Pro version, and/or
    • Developer forum [x]!

Make one of the changes, and I'll buy the Pro to show support, and encourage you to do the rest!

(All my info is in my sig)

By the way, you are in close competition with Brightness Rocker. It's a pretty clever alternate-use of the otherwise single purpose Vol Up/Down buttons. But you responded faster than Nikhil, and went to XDA, even! And you don't have the conflict with actually changing the Volume in order to adjust brightness. Maybe you could figure out how to intercept the Vol Up/Down keys as a different trigger, since some of us have Long Press Search mapped to Camera, Screenshot, QR Scan, etc.
    Love it! I bought pro version on market. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App
    Wicked app, thanks for posting the pro apk. I liked it so much I bought it on the market.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App