[APP][2.2+]SambaDroid 2.1.0

Search This thread

Lizard

Mar 12, 2006
I'd like to have the user configurable, accessing the server as root isn't the way to go.
(Unless this 'root' user is only for internal samba use and not global.

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham
I'm at work at the moment, but it has installed on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (ICS) and let me change the settings OK. (On which subject I assume whitelists will be supported in some future version by the way?).

However when I turned the tablet's wi-fi off, and launched the app again to see if it had been disabled correctly, the tablet froze on the app homepage (which was basically blank). I've had to do a long-press on the power button to force a reboot. The tablet has rebooted, but the app does not seem to have auto-restarted, even when my work wi-fi connected. I tried launching the app again (with wi-fi off) and it again froze the tablet again with the "SambaDroid" title in the top left, but nothing else visible from the app. If I launch the app with wi-fi on, it launches correctly.

I'm a bit puzzled by the Netbios name vs Server String incidentally. I assume Netbios is the name under which the device will appear on the Windows network? So what's Server String?

Oh, and the tiny 'Log' button is right above (and far too close to) an advert, which needs to be moved to avoid accidental presses on the ad.

Andre

Last edited:

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
I'd like to have the user configurable, accessing the server as root isn't the way to go.

This root is definitely samba internal user name, but i am sure (hope so at least...) berserker is gonna make the username configurable as this makes the configuration on client side easier.

I also had a problem starting the service at first, but after a reboot it started automatically...

chippyuk

Mar 30, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Working great so far on my I9305, so a big thanks! :)

When you have time, could you please add support for the extSdCard as at the moment I can only see my internal card.

Also, how can I send the intents via Tasker? I have added the string to Send Intent/Action with Target set to broadcast receiver but cannot get it to work. I assume I am missing something as have not used Intents before, any advice welcome!

Thanks again!

cbeckstein

Nov 13, 2010
How can I switch off the ads?
I do not tolerate any advertising apps on my phone.

Is there a pro version without ads planned or available that I can buy somewhere?

tramp20

Jan 15, 2012
Rosenheim
Apps & Games
Please can you try a file larger than 4gb?

I tried an ISO with 4.3 GB and copying stopped after 600 MB :(

Why are all files and directories (seen from Windows) marked as read only?
I cannot overwrite or delete these files even as administrator.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Why are all files and directories (seen from Windows) marked as read only?
I cannot overwrite or delete these files even as administrator.

After starting the old Samba Filesharing Server all files/directories are now shown normal.

berserker_devel

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I tried editing the settings, reinstalling and disable+enable wifi but still have the same type of errors.
Attached you can find some further screenshots including the contents of the folder you mentioned.

I noticed that on the first run it gives the error "cannot find a valid WiFi interface" as can be seen in the screenshot.

Thanks for your time and help!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
That's the problem!
Please help me in solving this by:
  • Paste/attach here the content of the file /system/build.prop
  • Give me a link of the rom you are using so that I can download it
  • Paste here the output of the command "netcfg" (this should really help): you can invoke the command from your PC with adb (adb shell netcfg) or from the a terminal emulator directly in the device.
    The output should be something like this:
netcfg.png

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
any chance we can have an option to auto-run the server @ boot ?
how about an on/off widget ?
any chance we can navigate to / and not just sdcard ?

:D
Sure :)
As stated in the first post this is a "work in progress" and lots of options like these will be added soon but by now I have to prepare a quite "stable" version to be release on the Play Store (as you see there are some open bugs :().

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
I confirm that the user 'root' is only a "dummy" name by now (I plan to add multiusers support in the future).

I'm a bit puzzled by the Netbios name vs Server String incidentally. I assume Netbios is the name under which the device will appear on the Windows network? So what's Server String?

Oh, and the tiny 'Log' button is right above (and far too close to) an advert, which needs to be moved to avoid accidental presses on the ad.

Andre
Please forget the "Server String" option, I will probably remove that option in the next release.
Regarding the 'Log' issue I plan to make a Tab to distinguish the smbd/nmbd messages (this should solve the size problem).

I also had a problem starting the service at first, but after a reboot it started automatically...
Could you be so kind to reinstall the application and see you still have problems on the first startup?

Working great so far on my I9305, so a big thanks! :)

When you have time, could you please add support for the extSdCard as at the moment I can only see my internal card.

Also, how can I send the intents via Tasker? I have added the string to Send Intent/Action with Target set to broadcast receiver but cannot get it to work. I assume I am missing something as have not used Intents before, any advice welcome!

Thanks again!
The idea is to allow the user to configure as many shares as needed (it's on my TODO :)).
I cannot help you with "Tasker" but you can test this functionality by running:
adb shell am broadcast -a berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.START
adb shell am broadcast -a berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.STOP

How can I switch off the ads?
I do not tolerate any advertising apps on my phone.

Is there a pro version without ads planned or available that I can buy somewhere?
Once the application will be available on the market, I'll support some in-app purchases to allow features like this: I already have experience in this (in particular with my game Drysic) so it should take not much work.

Last edited:

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham
After testing on my home network, using a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (generic Samsung ICS 4.0.4 upgrade, rooted) I found:

• With wi-fi on, the App starts and says the service is running. I've set a suitable Netbios share name within the app, and used my standard Windows Workgroup name (as used for my home network).
  • The shared device does not appear in my Windows 7 Network view (where I do see my other Android ICS devices listed, which are both running the old Samba app).
  • If I enter the direct IP address manually (e.g. typing \\192.168.1.211 into the path area) then I do get a login prompt, but I can't seem to get it to authenticate. I just get the standard Windows "network is not accesible / you might not have pemissions" message.
  • I've tried with and without a password set within the App (using 'root' as the login username from Windows) and also tried disabling the App's password tickbox, but I always get the same Windows error message.
  • If I turn the app off, as expected I no longer see a login prompt when I enter the IP address in Windows (so at least I know it's your app that's responding).

Should I be typing anything else into the IP address line (a path for example?)

Andre

gsustech

Jun 28, 2007
That's the problem!
Please help me in solving this by:
  • Paste/attach here the content of the file /system/build.prop
  • Give me a link of the rom you are using so that I can download it
  • Paste here the output of the command "netcfg" (this should really help): you can invoke the command from your PC with adb (adb shell netcfg) or from the a terminal emulator directly in the device.
    The output should be something like this:
netcfg.png

Here is what you need:

1) build.prob attached
2) Link to my current ROM: http://www.hotfile.com/dl/177136417/0acdb72/N7100XXALJ3_N7100DBTALJ2_DBT.zip.html
3) Output of netcfg attached

Let me know if you need anything else on this..

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• build.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 2012-11-02-13-44-38.jpg
    2012-11-02-13-44-38.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 352

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
After testing on my home network, using a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (generic Samsung ICS 4.0.4 upgrade, rooted) I found:

• With wi-fi on, the App starts and says the service is running. I've set a suitable Netbios share name within the app, and used my standard Windows Workgroup name (as used for my home network).
  • The shared device does not appear in my Windows 7 Network view (where I do see my other Android ICS devices listed, which are both running the old Samba app).
  • If I enter the direct IP address manually (e.g. typing \\192.168.1.211 into the path area) then I do get a login prompt, but I can't seem to get it to authenticate. I just get the standard Windows "network is not accesible / you might not have pemissions" message.
  • I've tried with and without a password set within the App (using 'root' as the login username from Windows) and also tried disabling the App's password tickbox, but I always get the same Windows error message.
  • If I turn the app off, as expected I no longer see a login prompt when I enter the IP address in Windows (so at least I know it's your app that's responding).

Should I be typing anything else into the IP address line (a path for example?)

Andre

Here is what you need:

1) build.prob attached
2) Link to my current ROM: http://www.hotfile.com/dl/177136417/0acdb72/N7100XXALJ3_N7100DBTALJ2_DBT.zip.html
3) Output of netcfg attached

Let me know if you need anything else on this..

Thanks a lot!
As I suspected the param "wifi.interface" isn't set in your build.prob file.
What's is not clear to me is that the netcfg command reports a "wlan0" interface and in this beta, if the "wifi.interface" property isn't set, I call this ugly function:
Code:
private String detectWifiInterface()
{
	String wifiInterface = null;

try 
  	{
		for(Enumeration<NetworkInterface> i = NetworkInterface.getNetworkInterfaces(); i.hasMoreElements();) 
		{
			wifiInterface = i.nextElement().getName();
			if(wifiInterface.toLowerCase().contains("wlan"))
				return wifiInterface;								
		}
	}
  	catch(Exception e) 
  	{

}

return null;
}
that "should" have detected wlan0 but it seems that something didn't work...
I already replaced the above "horror" with something better (I hope), so please just wait a few days for the next beta ok?
Thanks again for your patience :)

Good to know... Already bought other great apps of yours...

gsustech

Jun 28, 2007
Sure I'll wait for the next beta... :)
I don't really have any other alternative apps for this functionality on my Android device at the moment!

Thanks a lot and let me know if you need anything else from my end to help you test or resolve any issues.

berserker_devel

Jan 20, 2011
Sure I'll wait for the next beta... :)
I don't really have any other alternative apps for this functionality on my Android device at the moment!

Thanks a lot and let me know if you need anything else from my end to help you test or resolve any issues.
Ok so next "few days" has come :D
New beta on the first post (with small changes by now with the hope to fix this problems...), keep me updated :)

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham
berserker_devel said:
I just found a bug in the code that prevent to correctly save the options, please wait for the next beta (next week) :(

Ok so next "few days" has come :D

I like your clock. :) I'll download the new one when I get home from work and see if it now saves the settings and connects correctly.

[Edit] I can say that the new beta version still completely locks up my tablet if I launch the app with wi-fi turned off or not currently connected to anything (tablet then needs a forced soft reset). Will let you know the other stuff later.

Andre

Last edited:

erik501

Aug 12, 2010
Password work perfect now.
When possible to change user will be perfect.
Thanks
Edit
It also works well from Android to Android, with samba filesharing thing that I had never managed to do.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    25uktoo.jpg

SambaDroid is a native port for Android of the popular Samba for Linux.
    This application allows you to share/manage files on your device easily from any PC of your network.

Once started, just type \\SAMBADROID in your computer, use 'android' as user and enjoy.

Please note that this application requires root

2.1.0 changelog:
    • Optimized layout for tablets
    • Fixed a problem with in-app purchase restore
    • Google Play Services updated
    • Minor UI changes
    2.0.0 changelog:
    • complete UI rewrite!
    • sperimental x86/mips support
    • Samba updated to version 3.6.22
    • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
    • fixed the root popup issue
    • Explicit ethernet support
    • new option "Boot autostart"
    • improved users/shares management
    • extended notification support (pro)
    • Widget support (pro)
    1.0.6 changelog:
    • new translations: Chinese, German, Hungarian, Italian, Russian and Spanish
    • new share option "read only" (pro)
    • added WiFi whitelist (pro)
    • fixed the "read only" bug with multiple shares
    • fixed su popup issue
    FAQs:
    • q: Where can I find the modified Samba source code?
      a: Here it is.
    • q: Why my transfer speed decrease when I turn off the screen?
      a: Enable the option 'Lock Wifi'. If your device is running at least Android 2.3.x, you should get full speed transfer even when the screen is off, otherwise enable the option 'Lock screen' too.
    • q: How can I automate the application start/stop?
      a: Use the following broadcast intents:
      • START: berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.START
      • STOP: berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.STOP
      • If you are a Tasker user, please follow these steps (thanks to bcrook)
        1. Create a new Task (eg. Start SambaDroid) in Tasker
        2. Add a new action > Misc > Send Intent
        3. Set the action to berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.START , Cat = None, the rest you can leave as defaults
        4. Save the action and task
        5. Repeat for berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.STOP intent
        6. Create a profile to trigger the tasks (or launch w/ NFC or whatever you want)
        You can test the Task by clicking on the Task and clicking the Play icon in the lower right of the popup.

Download from Google Play

Support this project

If you want to translate SambaDroid into a new language:
    • download the attached file translate.zip
    • edit the xml inside the zip (strings.xml) in this way:

Original line:
      <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">Invalid password</string>
      Translated line:
      <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">My translation of Invalid password</string>
      Please do not translate anything inside the "name" attribute:
      <string name="do not translate this">
      But only:
      <string name="my_key">Please translate only this part</string>
    • Attach in this topic a modified version of the file or send me a pm with the download link (please remember to indicate the new language!)

I'll be glad for every contribution :)

Available translations:
    Like the good old samba filesharing:)
    I'm on 10-20121106 -NIGHTLY-i9100

speeds creeped from few hunders KB/sec to almost 2MB/sec, tried with 700MB file.
    Missing the second sd card though

If anyone is interested, just to make life easier (ie lazier) added sdcard network location to right click - send to , sending files with 2 clicks to your phone
    Just add the sdcard network location shortcut (or whatever folder shortcut on your sdcard) to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    shortcut address should be something like \\SAMBADROID\sdcard\whateverfolder
    New beta available!

Changelog 1.0.2:
    • share path is now configurable
    • guests users are now configurable
    • new command to report log files
    • new options "require wifi" (useful if you need to configure the services on other interfaces than wlan)
    • new option "bind interfaces"
    • new option "autostart service"
    • fixed missing codepages in the package dir
    • fixed a possibile bug when the application is restored (thanks to TheMorpheus and Osprey00)
    • reduced package size
    • lots of other stuffs I don't remember

In the first post I attached the code used by SambaDroid to detected the WiFi listening interface (that actually doesn't work on the Galaxy Note 2).
    I need someone that help me in debugging the code :)
    unclesamweneedyou.png

P.S.: please note that the default username has changed in this version to 'android'

You figured out a solution on your own by re-installing it, but if I pointed you in the right direction, you're welcome. Another solution, if Berserker's hunch is right, would've been to change the owner of the "nmbd" folder to "root" via Solid Explorer (on the same page as the "Change" button that I mentioned earlier) or other file manager. Anyways, the problem was even simpler than realized. I take it that you had Android 4.1 (CM10) with SambaDroid installed, backed everything up with Titanium Backup, flashed Android 4.2 (CM10.1), then restored your backup. Like you said, it could be an issue with Titanium Backup not restoring ownership rights or permissions correctly for SambaDroid's folders and files. If so, it doesn't sound like a huge, huge problem, but, maybe, as a workaround for users' sakes, SambaDroid could check for and fix incorrect permissions (or, at least, somehow detect a problem and recommend a re-installation).
    I already implemented a fix for this situation in the 1.0.2 beta :)
    It works if selinux is set to permissive. Tested on CM13 klteduos
    Version 2.0.0 just published on Google Play!

Changelog:
    • complete UI rewrite!
    • sperimental x86/mips support
    • Samba updated to version 3.6.22
    • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
    • fixed the root popup issue
    • Explicit ethernet support
    • new option "Boot autostart"
    • improved users/shares management
    • extended notification support (pro)
    • Widget support (pro)