• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App][2.2+]Unity Launcher, Ubuntu Phone Launcher for Android, 2.2+ support added

Search This thread

ninja_rancher

Oct 11, 2011
Installed the new update over an existing install. First, it force closed every time until I cleared the data. Not that big of a deal. But I can't reorder. Drag sorting doesn't work. And I'm not a fan of the staggered slide animation--it takes too long. Perhaps an option to go back to the way it was.

OldOldDev

Apr 8, 2013
Installed the new update over an existing install. First, it force closed every time until I cleared the data. Not that big of a deal. But I can't reorder. Drag sorting doesn't work. And I'm not a fan of the staggered slide animation--it takes too long. Perhaps an option to go back to the way it was.
Agreed totally!

I want to go back to the previous version. The update has nothing to recommend it. It's VERY slow with the staggered movement and it forced closed until i uninstalled and reinstalled. Also the current version appears behind the keyboard when it slides out whereas the previous version doesn't, and that slows things down further because i have to hide the keyboard.
Really not impressed!

1 step forward, 5 steps back

Please let us have back the previous version which worked MUCH better. Why fix what's not broken?

Last edited:

OldOldDev

Apr 8, 2013
Personally I think its a great update with no lag at all. What phone are you guys using?

HTC Sensation

The following shows some of the problems with the update

1) the ugly black line

2013-04-08_02-47-38.png

2) The launcher appearing UNDER the keyboard etc when i slide it out. This shouldnt happen and it didn't with the last version. I'm meant to be able to have fast access, but when how can i when i have to hide the keyboard just to access the links below it.
2013-04-08_03-00-42.png

EDIT: why does this forum make people wait 5 minutes just to edit a post?

Last edited:
Reactions: smartdevs

t1.8matt

Jan 22, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA.
When you get over a certain amount of posts it doesn't make you wait. And thank you so much to the OP, the latest update made this app the best! Being able to keep the bar in place until you touch outside of it was what it was lacking over other apps and it just completes it. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Is there any way to get rid of the add button at the top of the bar?

smartdevs

Feb 27, 2011
HTC Sensation

The following shows some of the problems with the update

1) the ugly black line

2013-04-08_02-47-38.png

2) The launcher appearing UNDER the keyboard etc when i slide it out. This shouldnt happen and it didn't with the last version. I'm meant to be able to have fast access, but when how can i when i have to hide the keyboard just to access the links below it.
2013-04-08_03-00-42.png

EDIT: why does this forum make people wait 5 minutes just to edit a post?

Ohh was sleeping after pushing update, didn't even slept for last 2 nights.
Ok coming to point, is that shadow line looks ugly on ur phone?
Your second issue I will solve it so do not worry about it. But please tell me if scrolling is slow?

smartdevs

Feb 27, 2011
When you get over a certain amount of posts it doesn't make you wait. And thank you so much to the OP, the latest update made this app the best! Being able to keep the bar in place until you touch outside of it was what it was lacking over other apps and it just completes it. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Is there any way to get rid of the add button at the top of the bar?

Isn't add button going to last position when you add apps/shortcuts/widgets?

bolanrox

Jan 22, 2013
I will try clearing the data but after updating on my N7 last night i could never get it to open (and when it did it was at random times) also the icons seemed smaller?

I tried reseting all of the press areas but that did not help anything. Holding off on updating my phone for the time being.

OldOldDev

Apr 8, 2013
Ohh was sleeping after pushing update, didn't even slept for last 2 nights.
Ok coming to point, is that shadow line looks ugly on ur phone?
Your second issue I will solve it so do not worry about it. But please tell me if scrolling is slow?
Hi
Yeah. Previously the bar was 100% transparent and it looked natural. Now with the shadow it looks like an ugly black line that shouldn't be there.

There is no scrolling involved because the icons you see there are all the icons i have on the launcher - categories, favourites, essentials, phone, camera, and notes- and so there is no need to scroll.
The problem is that when i pull the bar out the icons appear one after the other rather than appearing in sync. For example, the top icon will appear immediately, the icon below that will appear 1 second later, the 3rd icon will appear 2 seconds later, the 4th icon will appear 3 seconds later, and so on. Obviously it appears a bit more quickly than that, but you get the point.
I only want to show the bar for about 1 second, but because of the silly animation, by the time the bottom(ie notes) icon shows up, the bar is already hidden and gone back in Grrrrrr!!

I'm NOT interested in silly animations! I just want to it to be functional, and be functional quickly. .....like it did before the update. The animation has no practical purpose whatsoever

Please can you make available the previous version? Or perhaps you can add a setting to switch the forced animations OFF.

Last edited:

smartdevs

Feb 27, 2011
Hi
Yeah. Previously the bar was 100% transparent and it looked natural. Now with the shadow it looks like an ugly black line that shouldn't be there.

There is no scrolling involved because the icons you see there are all the icons i have on the launcher - categories, favourites, essentials, phone, camera, and notes- and so there is no need to scroll.
The problem is that when i pull the bar out the icons appear one after the other rather than appearing in sync. For example, the top icon will appear immediately, the icon below that will appear 1 second later, the 3rd icon will appear 2 seconds later, the 4th icon will appear 3 seconds later, and so on. Obviously it appears a bit more quickly than that, but you get the point.
I only want to show the bar for about 1 second, but because of the silly animation, by the time the bottom(ie notes) icon shows up, the bar is already hidden and gone back in Grrrrrr!!

I'm NOT interested in silly animations! I just want to it to be functional, and be functional quickly. .....like it did before the update. The animation has no practical purpose whatsoever

Please can you make available the previous version because the update adds nothing? Or perhaps you can add a setting to switch the forced animations OFF.

Okay dude, update will have shadow and animations optional. Anything other than this please share.

Sent from my Xperia Neo V using xda app-developers app

Reactions: PhilDX

smartdevs

Feb 27, 2011
I will try clearing the data but after updating on my N7 last night i could never get it to open (and when it did it was at random times) also the icons seemed smaller?

I tried reseting all of the press areas but that did not help anything. Holding off on updating my phone for the time being.

Please try to Uninstall and reinstall.

Sent from my Xperia Neo V using xda app-developers app

bolanrox

Jan 22, 2013
Gimme your email id and tell me which app you use, paid or free?

I just PM'd you back. I am using the paid version, and both devices are on 4.2.2 if that helps thanks!

Edit all solved - with the new version i had to swipe out from the edge to trigger it. on the last one i just had to tap the edge. it is working fine now when i swipe out

Last edited:
Reactions: smartdevs

smartdevs

Feb 27, 2011
I just PM'd you back. I am using the paid version, and both devices are on 4.2.2 if that helps thanks!

Edit all solved - with the new version i had to swipe out from the edge to trigger it. on the last one i just had to tap the edge. it is working fine now when i swipe out

Okay, Now it looks like everything is stabilized now for this version,
for Most of people who had Unity Launcher not working after update, Issue was Swipe edge settings. Change swipe edge sensitivity to max if edge is not working.

Now for next updates, Major things to do for next updates is Multiple Sidebars and Unread popups.

Multiple sidebars is you can have 6-8 side bars to your phones 6-8 edges. Your phone will have left-top, right-top, left-center,.....Bottom-left, Bottom-right edges. Last two edges are above homescreen and back buttons. So to all these edges you can put different side bars and pull one when you needs, it is not recommended to place launcher every where but 2-3 launchers will be very helpful. Like first launcher at left-top will have favorite apps, right-top will have all widgets, left-center will have shortcut to direct call to family members and so on.

Unread Popups will be just like my POPUP 7 app. When you pinned sms,dialer app in Unity launcher and if there is unread sms or call then on click of that icon Unity will ask you to show popup or go to app, now it goes directly to app, POPUP will have information regd sms or miss call, in case of sms you can directly reply from popup, in case of call you can call back.

With this Adding folders ability is another challenge.

So what you think guys, this is kinda requirement gathering. so do reply to this and have your views.

bolanrox

Jan 22, 2013
I am not sure if there is a way to fix it, but all of the side bar settings seems to reset, and you need to at least open / change them around a little to get the original settings back after the updates. (like just now the sensitivity setting even though it showed as being maxed out was on the min default setting, and i needed to slide it back and forth for it to take) I had to do that for all of the settings but its working as usual now.

OldOldDev

Apr 8, 2013
2013-04-08_20-09-25.png

Amother bug.

And the top 3 links(the ones that use a shortcut to folder organiser) only work once every 5 or more presses.

Is it possible you can provide the apk for the last version please? That version had all i need. This update is hard work

Last edited:

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 3a
2013-04-08_20-09-25.png

Amother bug.

And the top 3 links(the ones that use a shortcut to folder organiser) only work once every 5 or more presses.

Is it possible you can provide the apk for the last version please? That version had all i need. This update is hard work

I had that space pop up on mine too. It was where I had Google Market on the sidebar. When I tapped it said something about the SD Card. I just removed it because everything else was fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Liked Ubuntu Phone? Have you seen Ubuntu Phone Edge Launcher?
    Now test Ubuntu Apps switch Launcher on your Android phone even before Ubuntu launch ;)
    Here it is Unity Launcher. A true MultiTasker's Launcher
    Features:
    1. Launch Applications from any where.
    2. Select apps to pin into launcher.
    3. Change launcher bar color.
    4. Change Icon Backgrounds.
    5. Customize animation and launcher visibility duration.
    6. Swipe from left or right edge of Phone.
    For now it supports Android 4.0+ but soon support for 2.3 and 2.2 will be added.
    Much more features are coming soon.

Free app link Unity Launcher Free Click Here

Screenshot_2013-01-29-19-42-16.png

Screenshot_2013-01-29-18-32-41.png

Screenshot_2013-01-29-15-41-58.png

Screenshot_2013-01-29-15-42-26.png
    I completely agree with everything you suggested. I even bought the app, it seems really promising

I bought this app and o like it, if you keep developing and adding features this is going to me awesome, my suggestions are:

1) ability to change the order of the icons by long pressing them and moving them up/down

2) better touch responsiveness (misses sometimes)

3) launch other things than just apps, like activities and stuff

Keep developing this app! It does have a lot of future!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Me too Agree with you guys ;)
    When I started working on this I thought all of these things.
    Let me put things together,
    First I wanted Shortcuts and system setting toggles instead of apps in this launcher, then I saw Ubuntu video. So I came up with this.
    Now there are possibility for improvement like below,
    1. Making Name appear in a Popup when User touches and scrolls list up and down, See Ubuntu Launcher Video.
    2. Add shortcut and system setting icons to launcher.
    3. Drag to Sort apps list or sort by name or sort by Most clicked(Last one is done but not added for now).
    4. Apps folder just like Any other 4.0+ launcher have, Click on folder it will come up with apps in it.
    5. Quick Sms and Call overlays.
    6. Add any folder from SD card file system and access it by one click, popup contents of folder.
    7. Last one will be a Search Bar, It will have a search Icon in side bar if you click it it overlays a search bar where apps or anything can be searched. Check out Original Ubuntu launcher and you will get it what I am saying.

These are things I have in mind to work on, so support this app to get it developed more and more. :good:
    Thinkingof making features which are in paid app for now free, I will update fee application with all paid features, new paid will have icon pack and unread count features extra, what you says guys?
    Some fresh Screen Shots

Some new Screen Shots :)

Screenshot_2013-03-12-02-26-18.png

Screenshot_2013-03-10-18-50-01.png

Screenshot_2013-03-10-15-18-31.png

Screenshot_2013-03-12-02-27-21.png
    Free version released

Hey Guys,
    As I said I released Free version for this app.
    Unity Launcher Free Click Here
    Link will be available shortly as it takes time for App to appear on Google Play.