[APP][2.2+] Velis auto brightness 4.70.249 alpha

Search This thread

THRUSTer

Jul 11, 2014
Dayton
www.aashishbharadwaj.com
Just ordered the Pixel from a "new" retailer. Hopefully they didn't just take my money :D After that I might find some time to actually work on it. I'm approaching a wrap up on a major project I had and hopefully there won't be another "aaaaaaahhhh the world is going to end" project coming up right after it.
Well I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it. It seems if the proximity sensor is in use, the display is locked to 60hz. I'm not sure why they did this though. I've disabled this feature, but it's pretty nice to have to prevent false dimming.

ztenski2

Dec 13, 2021
So I upgraded to android 12 today, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

When velis is on auto brightness, and is allowed to display over other apps, the touch screen stops working with the exception of dragging the top bar down and on the lock screen. Not even the home button works. I managed to get the phone restarted so I could disable it before it starts, and as soon as I did so the touch screen started responding.

I can see in the app store that only up to android 11 is supported, but wanted to ask to make sure it's not a setting that I've overlooked.

Love the app and have used it for several years, so looking forward to it hopefully working again. Thanks for the hard work :)

josejoa

Apr 19, 2012
La Pineda
So I upgraded to android 12 today, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

When velis is on auto brightness, and is allowed to display over other apps, the touch screen stops working with the exception of dragging the top bar down and on the lock screen. Not even the home button works. I managed to get the phone restarted so I could disable it before it starts, and as soon as I did so the touch screen started responding.

I can see in the app store that only up to android 11 is supported, but wanted to ask to make sure it's not a setting that I've overlooked.

Love the app and have used it for several years, so looking forward to it hopefully working again. Thanks for the hard work :)
I think this has to see something with the overlay feature or not overlay in the settings of the app, or maybe with putting the above all apps in the settings of system. It happened to me and disabling one of those things it got right again.

Reactions: ztenski2

ztenski2

Dec 13, 2021
I think this has to see something with the overlay feature or not overlay in the settings of the app, or maybe with putting the above all apps in the settings of system. It happened to me and disabling one of those things it got right again.
Yup, misconfiguration on my part. In case it happens to anyone else:

My phone: samsung s21 ultra, android 12, Nov1 patch
- in velis app settings (in android settings) turn "appear on top" off
- in accesibility apps, enable velis
- in velis internal settings,
--- auto brightness - on
--- disable system handler - on (optional)
--- only use system brightness for adjustment - on
--- interactive notification - on (if your phone keeps killing it)

Now I get my nice curves back :). Thanks.

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica
Yup, misconfiguration on my part. In case it happens to anyone else:

My phone: samsung s21 ultra, android 12, Nov1 patch
- in velis app settings (in android settings) turn "appear on top" off
- in accesibility apps, enable velis
- in velis internal settings,
--- auto brightness - on
--- disable system handler - on (optional)
--- only use system brightness for adjustment - on
--- interactive notification - on (if your phone keeps killing it)

Now I get my nice curves back :). Thanks.
TBH, I'm still struggling with getting it to work on Pixel 6 at all. Glad you got yours to work. By now I really ache to be able to work on it a bit: pixel's auto brightness really isn't all that good.

Reactions: ztenski2

josejoa

Apr 19, 2012
La Pineda
TBH, I'm still struggling with getting it to work on Pixel 6 at all. Glad you got yours to work. By now I really ache to be able to work on it a bit: pixel's auto brightness really isn't all that good.
Now that you have a Pixel 6 in your hands, can you put a permanent service on Android 11 and 12? In my Realme 8 (Android 11) there is no permanent service of the app at all. Thank you (y)

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica
Now that you have a Pixel 6 in your hands, can you put a permanent service on Android 11 and 12? In my Realme 8 (Android 11) there is no permanent service of the app at all. Thank you (y)
You'll have to elaborate on that, please. VAB already does about 20 things, including having an accessibility service flag in order to try to be as permanent as possible.

Can you explain what you meant some more?

josejoa

Apr 19, 2012
La Pineda
You'll have to elaborate on that, please. VAB already does about 20 things, including having an accessibility service flag in order to try to be as permanent as possible.

Can you explain what you meant some more?
Well, in Realme 8 (Android 11), to see the permanent services, I have to go Settings/ Additional settings/ Developer options/ Execution services , here I see the execution services at the moment and there is no one for the Velis app, I think a permanent service is needed, thank you.

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica
Well, in Realme 8 (Android 11), to see the permanent services, I have to go Settings/ Additional settings/ Developer options/ Execution services , here I see the execution services at the moment and there is no one for the Velis app, I think a permanent service is needed, thank you.
I have a Mi 11 here with Android 11, MIUI Global 12.5.7. I just went through the settings twice and I can't find anything like you describe. Does "execution services" actually mean "running services", as in: services that are currently running?
If VAB is not running for you, you need to enable it first, enable it as an accessibility service. Then it should run.

josejoa

Apr 19, 2012
La Pineda
I have a Mi 11 here with Android 11, MIUI Global 12.5.7. I just went through the settings twice and I can't find anything like you describe. Does "execution services" actually mean "running services", as in: services that are currently running?
If VAB is not running for you, you need to enable it first, enable it as an accessibility service. Then it should run.
Yes must be "running services" (I have in spanish my GUI). In accessibility I have Velis auto brightness service activated, but as I said before, in "running services" there is no Velis app at all.

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica
Hi there! Will VAB support dual ambient light sensor devises?
Do you know of any such devices?

Otherwise, VAB is currently receiving too little love: I have promised to have something by April, but that was 9 months ago!!!
The project is still alive, but my regular job just requires too much: We're almost doubling in size with this hiring round that I'm starting today.

Maybe by THIS year's April, I will have actually been able to do something about VAB too...? It would definitely be nice: pixel's auto brightness isn't working nice for me and VAB won't even function on it :(

blackpowder1818

Jan 27, 2022
well I love your application which solved my problem on poco x3 pro. but I can't adjust the 3 taps. impossible even in the XMP file.
if I type 3 times quickly brightness changes directly. c is painful with the keyboard. a solution? that I wouldn't have thought? thank you

janbenes

Feb 23, 2015
Dear sir, I do not know how to send intent in Macrodroid to switch autobrightness profile. I tried to do it by some older post here but I cannot get the syntax right. Can you help please?

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica
Dear sir, I do not know how to send intent in Macrodroid to switch autobrightness profile. I tried to do it by some older post here but I cannot get the syntax right. Can you help please?
As we discussed over the email, I'm not sure I can help you here. The required syntax you mention is just not using terms I would recognise from programming the Tasker / locale plugin.

noone100

Jun 4, 2006
I'm running Auto Brightness on an old Android 5 tablet that does not have a light sensor. Since the last Google Play update I'm facing an issue that the Auto Brightness service stops working twice right after the device has been booted. The service then stays terminated. In the log I see the following exception:
Code:
3 20:43:11.715 D/DisplayPowerController( 2550): Animating brightness: target=26, rate=2000 (PSM:false, AB limit:(-1 ~ -1) MB Limit:(-1 ~ -1) MAdj:(0, (0, 255)))
03-03 20:43:11.720 I/velis.camSupport.takePicture( 7165): Taking pic camSH==null: false  queue size: 1 takingPic: false mCamera is null: true
03-03 20:43:11.725 W/velis.CameraSupport.takePicture( 7165): taking picture on camera 1 front
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165): FATAL EXCEPTION: CameraTakePictureThread
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165): Process: com.velis.auto.brightness, PID: 7165
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165): java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.Object java.lang.ref.WeakReference.get()' on a null object reference
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165):     at com.velis.library.d0.b.g(SourceFile:1)
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165):     at com.velis.auto.brightness.b$b.s(SourceFile:1)
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165):     at com.velis.auto.brightness.b$a.run(SourceFile:2)

Does this exception get catched somewhere or might this be the root cause of the service termination?

If I start the app manually after the system is fully started, the service works without issues.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica
I'm running Auto Brightness on an old Android 5 tablet that does not have a light sensor. Since the last Google Play update I'm facing an issue that the Auto Brightness service stops working twice right after the device has been booted. The service then stays terminated. In the log I see the following exception:
Code:
3 20:43:11.715 D/DisplayPowerController( 2550): Animating brightness: target=26, rate=2000 (PSM:false, AB limit:(-1 ~ -1) MB Limit:(-1 ~ -1) MAdj:(0, (0, 255)))
03-03 20:43:11.720 I/velis.camSupport.takePicture( 7165): Taking pic camSH==null: false  queue size: 1 takingPic: false mCamera is null: true
03-03 20:43:11.725 W/velis.CameraSupport.takePicture( 7165): taking picture on camera 1 front
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165): FATAL EXCEPTION: CameraTakePictureThread
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165): Process: com.velis.auto.brightness, PID: 7165
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165): java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.Object java.lang.ref.WeakReference.get()' on a null object reference
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165):     at com.velis.library.d0.b.g(SourceFile:1)
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165):     at com.velis.auto.brightness.b$b.s(SourceFile:1)
03-03 20:43:11.725 E/AndroidRuntime( 7165):     at com.velis.auto.brightness.b$a.run(SourceFile:2)

Does this exception get catched somewhere or might this be the root cause of the service termination?

If I start the app manually after the system is fully started, the service works without issues.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
I will try to investigate this. Can't promise though: not sure I properly stored those map files all that time back. I'm having a hard time digging myself out of work in my day job to spend some quality time on VAB. Has been showing for "a while" now. Sorry.

RandomRegistered

Mar 30, 2022
People who got this app working on Android 12 - how does it behave? What ROM are you on? Doesn't work on CrDroid 8.2 (it's based on LineageOS), can't even open an app.

RandomRegistered

Mar 30, 2022
Starts up on my Pixel 6, though it doesn't work properly. What phone do you have?
Sorry, it was mistake on my part. I used microG instead of Google Play Services and it didn't come with Play Store, once I installed it the app started to work. Haven't noticed bugs yet. Using the latest alpha from Google drive link. The phone is Redmi 9T.

Reactions: velis74

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hope you can get time to update this awesome app. Some trouble on Android 12.
    Acessbility settings is keep turning off now and then and my settings gets zeroed sometimes too. When I go check manually graph edit all entries get a 0.

Android 12 auto brightness suxks so we need you now 🙂
    We'll see. I'm gearing up. Whether I'll manage it high enough to actually start working, remains to be seen :)
    After my Realme 8 got updated to Android 12 VAB doesn't show anymore in silent notifications the "51 years old" issue, so works fine all the time:love:
    [APP][2.2+] Velis auto brightness 4.70.249 alpha

A pretty powerfully adjustable auto-brightness app for your android device.

Notice: project is alive again. Here's the current alpha.

Deployments from android 2.1 up.
    Any feedback highly appreciated.

Beta testers (via Play Store beta program):
    First you need to become member of Google Group here. Please apply for membership and wait a bit for me to approve you (might be a while if I'm asleep though :angel:).
    Then, please visit this URL and apply for beta testing.

The app features a developer settings dialog which can be reached by long-pressing proximity reading on main screen.

Google play link for download. (and description)

Manual
    Looking to help with translations? Please download translation files.

This app is translated to the following languages:
    * English - base language
    * Chinese by Jinran Lin
    * Czech by Holly Hell
    * Dutch by Maardiweb
    * French by Pims83
    * Italian by siggey
    * German by Chef Koch
    * Hungarian by XT69
    * Japanese by Magus & Masaki
    * Lithuanian by cukierkas
    * Norvegian by MrMastodon
    * Persian by Alireza Afkar
    * Polish by trur3
    * Romanian by rapttorx
    * Russian by Pavel Utochkin
    * Slovak by kubics
    * Spanish by UnderXP
    * Vietnamese by Vu Hien
    * Slovene

Thank you all for your help. :highfive: VAB wouldn't be what it is without you!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Velis Auto Brightness, App for the Android General

Contributors
    velis74

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 4.65.231
    Stable Release Date: 2017-08-22
    Current Beta Version: 4.65.231
    Beta Release Date: 2017-08-22

Created 2013-11-12
    Last Updated 2020-11-12
    Thread reopened per moderator decision. Some of you already know there's a dispute with Lux auto brightness author regarding app description text. I have removed it in entirety to remove any ambiguity. Text on play store is in its 3rd revision which was written entirely from scratch. In my opinion it bears absolutely no resemblance to lux description.

Please do not comment on this in your further posts. The thread should remain on-topic.
    If you still feel you have to say something about it, please PM me or the mod about it.

In the mean time I have released v 1.10.32

No more of no sensor reading (found out why service was crashing)

I have however detected an issue when the device is in a constant light conditions (night). Although I have the sensor reading, the graph still drops to 0 and minimizes the brightness.
    Direct solution is to attempt to modify the graph and then cancel the operation. This will restore the brightness to the graph setting.

Edit: fixed

Edit: TO DO list updated and rearranged. Top items have high priority.

Thanks for all the support so far, everyone. I never hoped for such a positive feedback.
    Jure
    I think I found the cause of sensor readings getting stuck: it happens when you turn on the screen while proximity sensor is covered (active). The app then ignores the subsequent sensor readings because of proximity and when proximity is finally released, lack of further light events "causes" the app to not update the brightness according to most recent light reading. Of course, this mostly ever happens while in a dark room - that's when light events are very rare because the sensor just doesn't detect any changes in light.

I have added an auto-generated event to occur just after the proximity sensor should release so that the brightness will then be updated. In my testing, I cannot reproduce the problem any more.

I will upload the new apk to OP now and later today to the market. I just want to test a bit more because this isn't the only change I've done.
    One of the best apps that I have used offlate. I am just addicted to it now. The development certainly needs to continue and if possible the future updates could add profile export ans restore feature. No need for frequent updates, as it is almost bug free now. Would just wish for Android 10 support.

Yeah, decided to give it anbother go. Not sure when I will find the time, though. Need to fix wizard which took some damage when I was doing support for the new Androids. Hopefully there will be something before THIS new year. :angel:
    Sorry for no activity guys, I get so little comp time lately :(
    I have however managed to make some progress and have updated first post with a new version that has the following new additions:

• Service will stop after a minute if auto brightness is disabled
    • Support for proprietary sensor solutions on Sony Xperia, SGS2
    • Updated translations: german, persian

This is not yet a release since I'd like to do two more things before I do that:
    1. Try to fix the graph freeze
    2. Create a first-start settings wizard

In order to do the first, this version (in the first post, not the market) contains some logging enhancements. I would ask someone with the problem to please drop me a mail with logcat @ level 9 (long press the proximity sensor reading values to set the level). All I need is a few seconds @ level 9 when the graph is not responding to light changes.

The second item will be a series of 4 - 5 dialogs asking the user about his basic preferences. I will make it so that even existing users will have the option of running this dialog.

Of course, I'm also interested in Xperia sensor support if any Xperia users are still following the thread. Maybe for the support to work correctly, apps like this will need to be active. The app should work even without that, but there may be some strange results because OS and app will fight for their brightness. Don't know what the OS does if an app sets its own brightness.

@shadowch: The baby is great, we're having so much fun. We already managed to get her to sleep during the nights (that's why I have no more comp time :D ) We're all going for a walk to lake Bled today.