• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][2.3+] Encdroid - EncFS file manager w/ Dropbox/GoogleDrive integration

Search This thread

towertim

Oct 2, 2013
Hamburg
Great project!

I use Encdroid to access a local folder that is synced with Dropbox using DropSync.

Is it possible to add a dark theme? That would help saving battery especially on devices with amoled display.

Night on the web

Mar 10, 2012
Integration with other cloud providers is high on the list of requested features - I'm definitely looking to do some of that. Currently I'm leaning towards Box or Owncloud as the next provider, although I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for taking this request high on your "to do" list.

Box & Owncloud are definitely usefull! :good:

Another coud provider which i recently started to use is OneDrive, but i think that is not so widespread. So i would suggest you to put it in a lower position on the to do list. :)

Thanks again for your great app and efforts :good:

sunwee

May 8, 2009
just want to say thanks for this gem. it provides an easy platform to encrypt sensitive stuff on your phone and support for cloud services. i see so many people asking for apps to hide pics, videos etc but overlook this great solution!

anyway i download this app last year, mainly to encrypt my files on dropbox. but couldn't get xls files to open and edit. so i had to think of other ways.

lately i decided to try this app again, and suprise! xls now opens and edits fine! am real glad i decide to do so :)

towertim

Oct 2, 2013
Hamburg
Access to encfs folder broken after update to version 2.1.0

I just updated to version 2.1.0 via Playstore. When I try to access an encfs folder, Encdroid now crashes. It worked fine before.

Crash details:
Exception class name: java.lang.illegalStateException
Source file: ListView.java
Source class: android.widget.ListView
Source method: addHeaderView
Line number: 265

Update 2014-11-12:
The issue is gone in version 2.1.1.
Thanks for the quick fix!

Last edited:

sancho_panzer

Jul 11, 2014
Integration with other cloud providers is high on the list of requested features - I'm definitely looking to do some of that. Currently I'm leaning towards Box or Owncloud as the next provider, although I'm open to suggestions.
Sorry to ask but do you still developing this amazing app?

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
ROM: CyanogenMod 11/M12 (KK 4.4.4)
Kernel: Googy-Max3 CM-Kernel 1.2.5

Recovery: TWRP 2.8.4.0
Modem: I9505XXUGNE8

Device: Nexus 7 (Grouper)
Kernel: Default CM11/M12 3.1.10

Recovery: TWRP 2.8.4.1

sancho_panzer

Jul 11, 2014
I most certainly am. Apologies for the slow updates as of late. I'm hoping to find more time to work on Encdroid in upcoming weeks.
Thank you for your fast response. Please consider ownCloud in first place, it's a must this days, but don't forget to give user the option to choose, accept or refuse server certificate.

One more thing. Did you ever thought about implementing another encryption algorithm like LUKS?

Please keep your support and development, Encdroid is one of the few apps working as it should on newest systems.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
Kernel: Googy-Max3 CM-Kernel 1.2.5

Recovery: TWRP 2.8.4.0
Modem: I9505XXUGNE8

Device: Nexus 7 (Grouper)
Kernel: Default CM11/M12 3.1.10

Recovery: TWRP 2.8.4.1

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello xda-developers,

Been a follower of these forums for a while, but now its my turn to publish my own apps!

Encdroid (free)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mrpdaemon.android.encdroid

Encdroid is a file manager application for Android devices to keep your files encrypted on Dropbox, Google Drive or the local storage of the device. It is compatible with EncFS so volumes created with Encdroid can be accessed on Windows/MacOS/Linux desktop and laptops and vice versa.

Hope its useful for someone out there... Any reviews/comments welcome. Oh, and its open source, so contributions welcome:
    https://github.com/mrpdaemon/encdroid

Cheers, long live Android!
    Just released v2.0 with Google Drive support. Hoping that it's useful to more people now!
    I most certainly am. Apologies for the slow updates as of late. I'm hoping to find more time to work on Encdroid in upcoming weeks.
    v1.2.2 is out with some bugfixes.

BTW, for anyone out there using Encdroid, which cloud storage service would you like to see supported next? I'm planning on implementing Google Drive first, but if a majority of folks would like to see something else I can be convinced :)
    @mrpdaemon, It is great to see an open source file encryption app that does not require rooting one's device! Thank you for your contribution! :)

I have a few questions, and if these are all answered by the app itself please forgive me as I don't currently have an Android device to test on (I'm going to be getting a tablet soon!):
    1. It sounds like the way Encdroid currently works one has to move a file from it's original location into the Encdroid encrypted volume, correct?
    2. Subsequently, the only way to open a given encrypted file is to open Encdroid and then open the file via whatever app is associated with that file type, correct?
    3. When one opens an encrypted file (via whatever app is associated with that file type) what is the state of that file? Is it unencrypted into a temporary file someplace, and if so, is that unencrypted temp file securely overwritten when the file is closed? Or is there some other method(s) at work to protect the security of the file? (I'm not doubting you--I just want to understand how the app works. :) )
    4. Do you have plans (if it is even possible without rooting one's device) to enable Encdroid to transparently handle file/folder encryption (eg, similar to the way TrueCrypt for Windows works--software just sees the files like normal inside the TrueCrypt volumn)? It sounds like DroidCrypt might being able to do this, but I'm leery of trusting myself to a closed source unknown piece of software (especially for something security related!).
    5. Does the Dropbox integration just mean that one has the option of storing the encrypted files/containers in their device Dropbox folder?
    Thanks!