[APP][2.3+] GMD Smart Rotate

Search This thread

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
New version 1.5.0

1.5:
- Improved rotation algorithm
- Added swipe to remove per app settings (actually added Hint about it, swipe to remove was always there)
- Fixed reported FC.

We are interested what you think about flat rotation that we added in 1.4? Is it working well for you? It was tuned again in this new version too.

We will expand and improve Smart Screen ON in the future. We will add 'keep screen' per app setting, that would keep screen till app is closed or user turns off screen manually. We are thinking to add such option for current session too, so user can check keep screen and it will be on till user turns it of manually, but just one time.

We are also looking to improve automatic behavior. We are testing several different ideas, like increasing screen on timeout if accelerometer movement is detected as this would give more opportunities for camera to capture face. Also looking into camera recognition options (like movement detection), proximity sensor etc, but with automatic option we want to be on safe side to not cause battery drainage.

We are reading and considering all proposed ideas, thanks.

Working on xperia s very nice lil app hope its not bad on battery
Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

We spent one month just testing battery usage with different device usage scenarios. Let us know if you encounter some problems. It does not drain battery on my devices (don't even appear in battery stats) and so far no one complained about it.

Last edited:

.A.J.

Oct 11, 2009
what if it's in your pocket?

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

If it's in your pocket the screen should already be off and it wouldn't make any difference. Smart screen on keeps the screen from timing out (turning off), it doesn't turn the screen on from off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

.A.J.

Oct 11, 2009
that might have been a bad example i just wanted to point out that just because it's moving it doesn't mean i want it to stay on... not like i would buy the pro just sharing my opinion.

I understand your point. I wouldn't want motion screen on enabled while in a moving vehicle.
I bought the pro version and am pretty happy with it. The screen on feature alone was worth it for me and my girl often complained about the default rotation when in bed at night. This solved both of those problems, for the most part.

quan815

Jul 4, 2011
Melaka
the speed of rotation of the "auto rotation" mode is taken longer time to rotate..the rotate speed of portrait and landscape is very fast..Can you increase the speed of rotation of auto mode?

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Probably our idea about how rotation should work was not explained properly. If you think stock rotation is perfect then we cannot compete with it can we? We think it is far from perfect especially when device is semi flat (for example when you sit and use device), because it rotates screen when I don't want it. I don't rotate device often so I hope it explains a bit what are we trying to achieve here.

Even when camera is not available (or it is too dark) our accelerometer algorithm is different from stock.
Our idea with this application is to avoid accidental rotations. For me most annoying thing with stock rotation is inadvertent screen rotation. That is why I used to keep rotation locked. With this app we wanted rotation to be stubborn. I understand it is not for everyone, but I want auto rotate to work this way: don't rotate unless I triggered rotate by *cough* actually rotating device. This is why in flat or semi-flat position device rotates only when rotation is confirmed by camera image, however in vertical position device is rotated faster cause we are sure user intended it. Per app rotation lock also helps with this ideology.

We do want rotation to work as fast as possible but only if we can avoid unwanted rotations. We are still improving algorithm and investigate every inadvertent rotation and we are improving rotation speed too, reducing some input data requirements. We are event thinking to add "fast rotate" option as we can remove all input event filters and rotate on first event. It works much faster than stock, but as a side effect it may rotate screen if you shake device :silly:

Don't forget you can turn off "Smart Rotate" and "Force" and you will end up with stock Android rotation (literally we do nothing, with such setup currently its stock rotation) but still can benefit from per app settings and Smart Screen ON.

Rotation support when face is in horizontal position was added because its we can detect it and because its fun, but obviously it is not main scenario.

Last edited:

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
what exactly do you mean by that? so if it's on a flat surface and i want it to turn to landscape or if lie on my side and again i want it to go landscape i think it's a pretty important feature. that's basically the point of the app. at least to me.

By "horizontal face" I mean lying on side, but most of time we still use it vertically that is why I say its main scenario :eek:
But of course we are supporting horizontal position as its fun.

rdavis429

Aug 25, 2012
Currently the Terminus Systems
Thanks, we just changed algorithm, but threshold and values still needs to be tuned a bit.

Fixing it.

Hmm, I need to test it more with camera apps I guess. I tried it on a few my devices and didn't encounter problems, but I will test more and try to fix this.

I too have the problem with the camera crashing. If I wait for the screen to rotate first, I'm fine. It's if I turn on the camera then try to rotate that it crashes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
I too have the problem with the camera crashing. If I wait for the screen to rotate first, I'm fine. It's if I turn on the camera then try to rotate that it crashes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Uploaded 1.5.1 to XDA and Google Play.
- We think we fixed crashes.
- App now will be available for Nexus 7 in Google Play.

Reactions: rdavis429

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Uploaded 1.5.2
- Tuned sensitivity, rotation now will be more sensitive than before, in par with stock rotation
- Fixed wrong rotations, when sometimes device rotates in wrong orientation.

I'm unsure if it's because of the 1. 5. 1 update but my phone gets sod quite often... i had 2 in the last 2 hours. i disabled the service and haven't had any ever since, but I'm talking only 10 minutes...

Does it still happen if you only disable Smart Rotate, but leave service running?

.A.J.

Oct 11, 2009
Any luck optimizing the list scrolling for setting custom per app functionality? Also I have the lock home screen option checked but it still does the 180 degree rotation (upside down).

Edit: this is on 1.5.1

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Any luck optimizing the list scrolling for setting custom per app functionality? Also I have the lock home screen option checked but it still does the 180 degree rotation (upside down).

Edit: this is on 1.5.1

Please try 1.5.4. Home screen should be fixed.
Hadn't chance to optimize app list yet.

.A.J.

Oct 11, 2009
Please try 1.5.4. Home screen should be fixed.
Hadn't chance to optimize app list yet.

It's still happening in 1.5.2 that I just got from Play. I have the don't rotate home option checked in options and the app default set to portrait.

Edit: I just saw that you attached 1.5.4 to the op. I've been installing from Play store. Will it cause me problems with app or pro license if I just install the apk from the op?

Last edited:

elroy944

Oct 8, 2007
is it possible to add a nice rotation animation in the app? so that every time it rotates to landscape or portrait it rotates with style (kinda miss that from my iphone, apple did there some really good work)

.A.J.

Oct 11, 2009
It's still happening in 1.5.2 that I just got from Play. I have the don't rotate home option checked in options and the app default set to portrait.

Edit: I just saw that you attached 1.5.4 to the op. I've been installing from Play store. Will it cause me problems with app or pro license if I just install the apk from the op?

1.5.4 showed up in the Play store and the undesired home rotation is fixed. Thanks.

mdcykkk9

Mar 21, 2009
Latest version broke it for me... Can't rotate 360 degrees. Only 270. When my tablet is upside down in portrait mode, the screen rotates wrong.. XOOM 2 media edition...

DHM47

Feb 10, 2012
Congratulation on the xda-portal ,android police and GSMArena reviews :good:

I have not used the last week and now i saw the update
First with force rotate 0 and 180 mean 180 .
In the per app setting when i choose an app it rotates 180 if rotate is 0.( 180,90,270 are fine).
When sensor is in 0 and camera is 90 the screen rotation will be 90 which is correct but if you rotate the device upside down the sensor 180 camera 270 screen rotation well remain 90.
The smart stay opens the camera too often it's checking even when I'm using the device

Reactions: StupidIdea

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Everyone knows how annoying default Android rotation algorithm can be. So we tried to come up with better solution and this is how GMD Smart Rotate was created. It is co-developed by me and Vitalij (developer of Touch Screen Tune).

Smart screen rotation using front facing camera.
    Smart keeping screen on using front facing camera.

This application replaces default Android screen rotation and add smart features:
    - Use front facing camera to evaluate your face position and decide if device screen needs to be rotated.
    - Automatically keep screen turned on while you are looking at it (Full version only).
    - Lock rotation in landscape or portrait.
    - Force rotate applications that does not allow rotation by default.
    - Set per application rotation preferences (Full version only).
    - Easy rotation preference access by pressing default Android lock rotation toggle.
    - Rotation preferences widget and launcher shortcuts.
    - Clockwise and Counterclockwise rotation shortcuts.
    - Integrates with GMD GestureControl and GMD SPen Control using shortcuts.

Development version - may contain bugs!

Tested and working on:
    - Samsung Galaxy S
    - Samsung Galaxy S2
    - Samsung Galaxy S3
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    - Samsung Tab 7.7
    - Samsung Note1
    - Samsung Note2
    - Nexus 7
    - Xoom
    - HTC One X
    - Motorola Atrix
    - Nexus S
    - Galaxy Nexus, Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    - Droid Incredible 2
    - Sony Xperia
    - Sony Xperia Mini Pro
    New version 2.0.0

I uploaded new version
    2.0.0:
    - Redesigned application.
    - Fixed issues with camera application.
    - Added reverse modes.
    - Added mode to turn Smart Rotate off.
    - Android rotation lock now is taken into account and when it is 'locked' Smart Rotate is locked too.

I didn't post much lately as we were rewriting the application. Initial idea to change stock rotation with smart rotation was not working in some cases, like Camera application. On some devices it was too slow, so again - inconvenient. So we sit and think again how to properly incorporate it and decided it will be better if it is just one of the modes. So now there are 6 modes:
    1) Smart rotate: OFF - this is stock Android rotation.
    2) Smart rotate: ON - automatic rotation that forces all applications to rotate. If camera use is enabled it will use front facing camera to confirm rotation, so it won't rotate screen when you are lying in bed. Also it takes into account rotation lock (android) setting, so you can lock rotation in any orientation even for apps that do not support rotation by default. If camera use is disabled in settings it will work similar to stock rotation, but will force all applications to rotate.
    3) Portrait
    4) Reverse Portrait
    5) Landscape
    6) Reverse Landscape

Reverse modes were asked by many users so we added them and screen will not rotate by accelerometer anymore when in any of portrait/landscape mode. Old 'force' setting was removed and now all modes from 2 to 6 force rotation. Mode 1 does not force rotation as it is stock rotation.

Camera automatically will not be used for if applications that uses camera is running. This solved camera application fc on all our devices, so let me know if you still have problems.

So now it is possible to run stock rotation (mode 1) as global setting and only force portrait/landscape or enable Smart Rotation just for particular applications.

Let me know what you think about this change and if you have some suggestions.

P.S: If screen rotates in wrong orientation on your device with this new version, please post here. I cannot reproduce it but I want to fix this on devices where it is happening. But since a lot of code changed please try again this latest version.
    I cannot install the app on my N7. But somehow the key to unlock it :D

But all I can say. Nice app. Keep on developing ;) i like your other apps as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    Can GMD smart rotate includes lock screen rotation?

currently it doesn't affect lock screen. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-P6800 using XDA Premium HD app

We will add this.

Greetings :) first, thank you for this application. I just bought the pro version to replace some of Samsung's functionalities on cyanogenmod. And it's working great :p

However, it looks like firefox (version 19) prevents smart rotate to work correctly. I could not find any related post in this thread, hence this one.

Did anyone else experience this problem?
    Cheers.

Edit : forgot to mention that when activating toasts, they don't appear when firefox is launched. Doesn't look like to be related to full screen apps as it works well with moon reader.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9300 avec Tapatalk

Thanks, I will take a look. Is firefox any good now? It used to lag a lot, so I don't use it lately.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone