[APP][2.3+] GMD Smart Rotate

Search This thread

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
1.5.5:
- Optimized app list
- Some bug fixes

I did rough optimization of app list. Its still not completely fluent but should be much better than before. I will fix it properly for upcoming updates.

Latest version broke it for me... Can't rotate 360 degrees. Only 270. When my tablet is upside down in portrait mode, the screen rotates wrong.. XOOM 2 media edition...

I know what change could cause it and I'm reviewing it why it would not rotate into 180 on some devices.

Congratulation on the xda-portal ,android police and GSMArena reviews :good:

I have not used the last week and now i saw the update
First with force rotate 0 and 180 mean 180 .
In the per app setting when i choose an app it rotates 180 if rotate is 0.( 180,90,270 are fine).
When sensor is in 0 and camera is 90 the screen rotation will be 90 which is correct but if you rotate the device upside down the sensor 180 camera 270 screen rotation well remain 90.
The smart stay opens the camera too often it's checking even when I'm using the device

Thank you for detailed feedback. Did you try presetting rotation for Portrait or Landscape. You can select in setting that for Portrait application would always set Portrait or Reverse portrait no matter which portrait orientation is suggested by accelerometer. Does it help to fix 0 degree position? You are right about Smart Stay, now it just checks with constant period. I will see if I can detect user actions and skip checks in that case.

As for reviews, I think its fair to say we were not ready :eek: Oh well, we continue working on app. As for future plans we decided that we are not able to keep settings completely simple anyway so we will expose more settings like rotation degrees threshold (from what degree device should initiate rotation), "flat" position threshold etc. So users can fine tune if they want to. Also adding an option how Smart Rotate should work - rotate back after horizontal face position is detected (current method, faster initial rotation) or confirm each rotation beforehand (less chaotic and still fast enough on new devices).

i took the bus today and it kept rotating all the time... there's no right way....
Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

Thanks, that was funny :D. I will try to take a bus and see if I can reproduce it :eek:
Does it happens when Smart Rotate is off? We are reviewing all SmartRotate algorithm and looking for new/better way to incorporate it. I don't want to go much into details, but current problem is that in some rare cases we don't know in what screen orientation was when we detected face and then we may do wrong assumption about how screen needs to rotate. Usually even with wrong rotation it should recover on next accelerometer event.

Last edited:
Reactions: DHM47

DHM47

Feb 10, 2012
Thank you for detailed feedback. Did you try presetting rotation for Portrait or Landscape. You can select in setting that for Portrait application would always set Portrait or Reverse portrait no matter which portrait orientation is suggested by accelerometer. Does it help to fix 0 degree position? You are right about Smart Stay, now it just checks with constant period. I will see if I can detect user actions and skip checks in that case.

As for reviews, I think its fair to say we were not ready :eek: Oh well, we continue working on app. As for future plans we decided that we are not able to keep settings completely simple anyway so we will expose more settings like rotation degrees threshold (from what degree device should initiate rotation), "flat" position threshold etc. So users can fine tune if they want to. Also adding an option how Smart Rotate should work - rotate back after horizontal face position is detected (current method, faster initial rotation) or confirm each rotation beforehand (less chaotic and still fast enough on new devices).
I'm using a tablet so 0 and 180 are landscape
I was testing when it gets stuck and some how it got fixed ?!! I don't know what exactly happened one second its broken the other its fixed :confused:

You can add the exposed settings in an advanced tab and keep the basic setting for the average users

mdcykkk9

Mar 21, 2009
Can i have 1.5.1 apk file. The last two updates break the only feature that was working great(force rotate). My tablet don't rotate correct in portrait (can't rotate when you hold it upside down). Also when i hold it in landscape position and run application my tablet goes in portrait (very annoying). The smart screen feature is very unreliable. The program as it is now is not useful at all...

dakunesu

Aug 15, 2011
issue with current version, when I rotate to 270(bottom of phone on the left) it sometimes orientates to 90, and then sometimes flickers to 270, then to 180.
this is cleared app settings and rotating via shortcuts rotate left and right with no smart rotation, no screen on enabled.
edit: tested with smart rotate enabled, it detects, toasts up camera rotate 270, but still fails.

my device is a nexus 4 with bricked kernel

Last edited:

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
New version 2.0.0

I uploaded new version
2.0.0:
- Redesigned application.
- Fixed issues with camera application.
- Added reverse modes.
- Added mode to turn Smart Rotate off.
- Android rotation lock now is taken into account and when it is 'locked' Smart Rotate is locked too.

I didn't post much lately as we were rewriting the application. Initial idea to change stock rotation with smart rotation was not working in some cases, like Camera application. On some devices it was too slow, so again - inconvenient. So we sit and think again how to properly incorporate it and decided it will be better if it is just one of the modes. So now there are 6 modes:
1) Smart rotate: OFF - this is stock Android rotation.
2) Smart rotate: ON - automatic rotation that forces all applications to rotate. If camera use is enabled it will use front facing camera to confirm rotation, so it won't rotate screen when you are lying in bed. Also it takes into account rotation lock (android) setting, so you can lock rotation in any orientation even for apps that do not support rotation by default. If camera use is disabled in settings it will work similar to stock rotation, but will force all applications to rotate.
3) Portrait
4) Reverse Portrait
5) Landscape
6) Reverse Landscape

Reverse modes were asked by many users so we added them and screen will not rotate by accelerometer anymore when in any of portrait/landscape mode. Old 'force' setting was removed and now all modes from 2 to 6 force rotation. Mode 1 does not force rotation as it is stock rotation.

Camera automatically will not be used for if applications that uses camera is running. This solved camera application fc on all our devices, so let me know if you still have problems.

So now it is possible to run stock rotation (mode 1) as global setting and only force portrait/landscape or enable Smart Rotation just for particular applications.

Let me know what you think about this change and if you have some suggestions.

P.S: If screen rotates in wrong orientation on your device with this new version, please post here. I cannot reproduce it but I want to fix this on devices where it is happening. But since a lot of code changed please try again this latest version.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdavis429 and .A.J.

.A.J.

Oct 11, 2009
Did you also upload it to the Play store? I just reinstalled the app there & it's the old one. I know the Play store takes a while to actually show the updated apps.

Edit: I got it from the Play store. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Last edited:

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
when I hit the status bar notification it opens the app and also shows a pop up, which contains an icon I can use to open the app. what is the point of it? why does it have to open the app when it's sole purpose would be to change the mode quickly.

It is not supposed to open settings app and it does not open it on my devices :confused:. Only dialog should be displayed on top of current running app. I will review the code and try to fix this.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
New version 2.1.0

Uploaded new version:
2.1.0:
- Added Smart Portrait and Smart Landscape modes.
In these modes orientation is locked in portrait or landscape, but still can rotate to normal orientation and reverse.

it only happens occasionally and it used to happen on older versions as well. keep in mind that I'm running android v 2 3 6.
also I still get more false rotstions than with stock which is quite weird as the purpose of this app was to fix that... i feel like it still needs some fine tuning.
thanks for your work nevertheless.

We reviewed this idea and in 2.x smart rotation is again tuned by stock rotation algorithm, so basically if face is not detected rotation should work similar to stock. We will allow users to change rotation thresholds in the future. Don't forget that you can always select first option (Smart Rotate: OFF) as default which is stock rotation per se.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
then it might be because of false face detection which sounds quite unlikely.
how does this work on gingerbread anyways? I thought face recognition was introduced in ice cream sandwich

Its our algorithm :eek:
I tweaked some parameters in 2.1.0, let me know did it reduce false rotations.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Uploaded new version:

2.2.0:
- Added mode buttons to notification.
- Updated button icons.
- Improved inadvertent rotation filter in Smart Rotation mode.

Last edited:

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
I actually liked the option to forbid inverted portrait mode. would it be that possible to get that option back?
also. I didn't have anything against the force rotate check box I don't understand why it had to be removed

1) We will reintroduce this setting, but we need to update it. Now it will apply only for Smart Rotate as other modes already have all options accessible in the dialog. So we will add option to disable particular orientations for Smart Rotate.

2) Force was too confusing for many users and we opted to add Smart Rotate Off mode instead. This mode never forces rotation.

matsuru

Jul 10, 2008
Can GMD smart rotate includes lock screen rotation?

currently it doesn't affect lock screen. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-P6800 using XDA Premium HD app

pulsation

Sep 20, 2008
Greetings :) first, thank you for this application. I just bought the pro version to replace some of Samsung's functionalities on cyanogenmod. And it's working great :p

However, it looks like firefox (version 19) prevents smart rotate to work correctly. I could not find any related post in this thread, hence this one.

Did anyone else experience this problem?
Cheers.

Edit : forgot to mention that when activating toasts, they don't appear when firefox is launched. Doesn't look like to be related to full screen apps as it works well with moon reader.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9300 avec Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: StupidIdea

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011

We will add this.

Greetings :) first, thank you for this application. I just bought the pro version to replace some of Samsung's functionalities on cyanogenmod. And it's working great :p

However, it looks like firefox (version 19) prevents smart rotate to work correctly. I could not find any related post in this thread, hence this one.

Cheers.

Edit : forgot to mention that when activating toasts, they don't appear when firefox is launched. Doesn't look like to be related to full screen apps as it works well with moon reader.

Thanks, I will take a look. Is firefox any good now? It used to lag a lot, so I don't use it lately.

Reactions: pulsation

pulsation

Sep 20, 2008
Thanks, I will take a look. Is firefox any good now? It used to lag a lot, so I don't use it lately.

Thank you :)

Well, Firefox mobile became way better in my opinion, though there's still room for improvement. As a big fan of Opera mobile for ages since I began to use it with windows mobile 6, it's the first time I drop it for anything else, even after having tested other ones (dolphin, boat brower, chrome...)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Everyone knows how annoying default Android rotation algorithm can be. So we tried to come up with better solution and this is how GMD Smart Rotate was created. It is co-developed by me and Vitalij (developer of Touch Screen Tune).

Smart screen rotation using front facing camera.
    Smart keeping screen on using front facing camera.

This application replaces default Android screen rotation and add smart features:
    - Use front facing camera to evaluate your face position and decide if device screen needs to be rotated.
    - Automatically keep screen turned on while you are looking at it (Full version only).
    - Lock rotation in landscape or portrait.
    - Force rotate applications that does not allow rotation by default.
    - Set per application rotation preferences (Full version only).
    - Easy rotation preference access by pressing default Android lock rotation toggle.
    - Rotation preferences widget and launcher shortcuts.
    - Clockwise and Counterclockwise rotation shortcuts.
    - Integrates with GMD GestureControl and GMD SPen Control using shortcuts.

Development version - may contain bugs!

Tested and working on:
    - Samsung Galaxy S
    - Samsung Galaxy S2
    - Samsung Galaxy S3
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    - Samsung Tab 7.7
    - Samsung Note1
    - Samsung Note2
    - Nexus 7
    - Xoom
    - HTC One X
    - Motorola Atrix
    - Nexus S
    - Galaxy Nexus, Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    - Droid Incredible 2
    - Sony Xperia
    - Sony Xperia Mini Pro
    New version 2.0.0

I uploaded new version
    2.0.0:
    - Redesigned application.
    - Fixed issues with camera application.
    - Added reverse modes.
    - Added mode to turn Smart Rotate off.
    - Android rotation lock now is taken into account and when it is 'locked' Smart Rotate is locked too.

I didn't post much lately as we were rewriting the application. Initial idea to change stock rotation with smart rotation was not working in some cases, like Camera application. On some devices it was too slow, so again - inconvenient. So we sit and think again how to properly incorporate it and decided it will be better if it is just one of the modes. So now there are 6 modes:
    1) Smart rotate: OFF - this is stock Android rotation.
    2) Smart rotate: ON - automatic rotation that forces all applications to rotate. If camera use is enabled it will use front facing camera to confirm rotation, so it won't rotate screen when you are lying in bed. Also it takes into account rotation lock (android) setting, so you can lock rotation in any orientation even for apps that do not support rotation by default. If camera use is disabled in settings it will work similar to stock rotation, but will force all applications to rotate.
    3) Portrait
    4) Reverse Portrait
    5) Landscape
    6) Reverse Landscape

Reverse modes were asked by many users so we added them and screen will not rotate by accelerometer anymore when in any of portrait/landscape mode. Old 'force' setting was removed and now all modes from 2 to 6 force rotation. Mode 1 does not force rotation as it is stock rotation.

Camera automatically will not be used for if applications that uses camera is running. This solved camera application fc on all our devices, so let me know if you still have problems.

So now it is possible to run stock rotation (mode 1) as global setting and only force portrait/landscape or enable Smart Rotation just for particular applications.

Let me know what you think about this change and if you have some suggestions.

P.S: If screen rotates in wrong orientation on your device with this new version, please post here. I cannot reproduce it but I want to fix this on devices where it is happening. But since a lot of code changed please try again this latest version.
    I cannot install the app on my N7. But somehow the key to unlock it :D

But all I can say. Nice app. Keep on developing ;) i like your other apps as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

We will add this.

Cheers.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone