• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][2.3+] Rainbow - Sync your data between cloud like services

What would you like to see in the next version of the Rainbow app?

• Support the Copy.com service

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Support the GCloud Backup service

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Support the iDrive service

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Support the Mediafire service

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Support the Mega service

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Manage folders (copy and delete a folder)

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • A more colorful UI

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Vasilis77

Dec 18, 2013
Dear all,
I am pleased to announce the release of Rainbow 1.0. Here is a brief description of this application:

The Rainbow application is a powerful tool to transfer (copy or delete) data from one cloud service to another, in three simple steps:
1) Select the source service.
2) Select the files that you want to transfer, and
3) Select the target service.

Rainbow supports the following five cloud services:
- Bitcasa
- Box
- Pogoplug
- OneDrive (old SkyDrive)
- Sugar Sync

Rainbow is free of charge, it runs on Android 2.3 and higher and you may download it from the Google Play

For those of you who own a Kindle device you can download it from Amazon

I am looking forward to your comments/ suggestions

Thank you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ismartsolutions.Rainbow

Last edited by a moderator:

badi95

Jul 20, 2010
When I try to sign into google drive, after I sign in it asks for 2 step verification. When I switch to my authenticator app it removes my sign in data and I have to start the process all over. By the time I sign in, my code has expired. Therefore I have no way to sign into google drive

Chido42

May 24, 2013
Hi the idea of this application is really, great but before I install it, could you please explain why do you need each permission please ? Because I dont see the interest for the geolocalisation ? (the other are quite simple to guess)

Thanks

HellBoy.007

Sep 24, 2013
When I try to sign into google drive, after I sign in it asks for 2 step verification. When I switch to my authenticator app it removes my sign in data and I have to start the process all over. By the time I sign in, my code has expired. Therefore I have no way to sign into google drive
You can use the option given in the Two Step Verification when you don't have Google Authneticator present. Here you can send the code to another mobile whose number you have configured or you can even send it to your own mobile and check your SMS easily.

Or, you can log in to your account from your mobile browser and select "Don't ask code on this computer again" and then log in from the app.

Another option: Go to the account settings page and take a printout of the codes for two step verification, or just note it down.

Vasilis77

Dec 18, 2013
Hi the idea of this application is really, great but before I install it, could you please explain why do you need each permission please ? Because I dont see the interest for the geolocalisation ? (the other are quite simple to guess)

Thanks

First of all thank you all for your nice feedback.

@chido, let me clarify that the GPS is not turned on, you will never see the GPS icon in the bar!! Because this app has ads, the advertisers require to have the ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION permission. This is purely because they want to serve better ads.

Here is the link to the Rainbow Privacy Policy There you will also find screenshots from the iOS version, and you can find a list of all the features that the Android version will soon have.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any concerns that you may have

Last edited:

Vasilis77

Dec 18, 2013
Hey there, 2 questions:

1.) Can I sync entire folders? Or individual files only.

2.) Does it use my device's network connection or do the files transfer from site-to-site using their own ftp?

Currently, you can transfer only files, but, as with the iOS version, you will be able to transfer folders too. I may add this feature in the next version
Since the cloud service do not offer this feature, the Rainbow app uses your network to transfer data.

Does this tool download the file from source and then re-upload to target through your phone? Or does it do the transfer through some other online service and the data doesn't reach our phones?

Yes this is what it does. I am thinking of having a new version to transfer files through a third server so that you do not use your network connection. This will be useful to those who have a 3G (or 4G) connection

it would be good if you can add a progress bar instead of Please wait.....

Yes I will add one, but in the meantime, I need to fix bugs that could occur when you transfer a file, add support to manage your folders, and add more cloud service.

@D108, I will contact the GCloud Backup services support team, and if it is possible I will add this service
@SaDiCuL, I will add this service in the next version

Thank you all for your feedback

Reactions: dodo99x

Vasilis77

Dec 18, 2013
How about idrive? Can you add?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, as I said to @D108, I will contact their support team, and if it is possible I will add this service.

So far, you want me to add support for

Mega,
GCloud Backup,
iDrive,
and Mediafire service.

Is there any other service that you would like Rainbow to support?

Please, however, give me sometime to code (if it is possible) the support of any of these services.

Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear all,
    I am pleased to announce the release of Rainbow 1.0. Here is a brief description of this application:

The Rainbow application is a powerful tool to transfer (copy or delete) data from one cloud service to another, in three simple steps:
    1) Select the source service.
    2) Select the files that you want to transfer, and
    3) Select the target service.

Rainbow supports the following five cloud services:
    - Bitcasa
    - Box
    - Pogoplug
    - OneDrive (old SkyDrive)
    - Sugar Sync

Rainbow is free of charge, it runs on Android 2.3 and higher and you may download it from the Google Play

For those of you who own a Kindle device you can download it from Amazon

I am looking forward to your comments/ suggestions

Thank you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ismartsolutions.Rainbow
    Poll is closed, so I'll ask here: What about Surdoc as a potential target? They openly provide their API: https://open.surdoc.com/openapi/home.do

Also, I've had this thought for awhile - how about 'striping' data across multiple cloud services, with an added parity stripe so that if one service is not available, the data can still be accessed, kind of like RAID across cloud providers? I'm no coder, so all I can do is offer the thought.

Yes of course, I will support the Surdoc service, but, it will take me sometime.

With regards to your thought, I also have similar thoughts, and one day (pretty soon), I will release a version that support this.
    May I suggest to implement mega too on next version?
    That would be great!
    Thanks for your hard work!

Sent from somewhere around the world

I will definitely add the Mega service. Please be patient, however, because currently I am working on a new feature that you will find extremely useful.

Thank you for your feedback!
    How about idrive? Can you add?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, as I said to @D108, I will contact their support team, and if it is possible I will add this service.

So far, you want me to add support for

Mega,
    GCloud Backup,
    iDrive,
    and Mediafire service.

Is there any other service that you would like Rainbow to support?

Please, however, give me sometime to code (if it is possible) the support of any of these services.

Thank you
    Dear all,

I am pleased to inform you that version 1.1 is out. This version supports the Dropbox cloud service