[APP][2.3+][ROOT] Screen Backlight OFF (xda-exclusive free version)

Search This thread

cygery

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 6, 2013
cygery.com
Hi,

I've developed a small app to switch off the screen backlight without switching off the screen completely. It requires root.
This is an xda-exclusive free version! If you want to support me, please consider getting the paid version on Google Play or check out my other apps.
Please note: Redistribution of this app is not allowed!

Paid version on Google Play (same functionality): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cygery.screenbacklightoff

New: Now available via XDA Labs!

NEW: Video by MiroslavVitula: https://youtu.be/B7Wt3nIOdXg Thanks!

Review on NaldoTech: http://www.naldotech.com/turn-the-s...pting-videos-on-android-screen-backlight-off/ (Thanks!)

Device compatibility: second post

Why would I want to use this?
The typical use case is:
  1. You use a video player app.
  2. You only want to enjoy the sound/music.
  3. Thus, you want the display to be off to save battery or because the brightness annoys you.
However, most players stop the playback when the screen is turned off.
An often used workaround are apps which set the backlight brightness to a very low (but still visible) value and/or put an additional dark layer on the screen. On typical LCD displays both methods keep the backlight on. Thus, it will still emit light and use battery power.
This app turns off the screen backlight completely without switching off the screen.

Features:
  • Notification to quickly switch off screen backlight
  • Single or double tap to deactivate
  • Option to automatically activate when screen turns off
  • Configurable activation delay
  • Configurable overlay color and transparency
  • Timeout
  • Floating activation button (optional, enabled via additional notification)
  • Setting to keep screen on (usually not required)
  • Shortcut (allows other apps, e.g., automation tools, to switch off the backlight via this app)

How to turn the backlight on again?
Simply touch the screen.

What about OLED/AMOLED screens?
(Note: There are user reports where the app works on devices with AMOLED displays.)
An exception are OLED/AMOLED screens where the pixels itself emit light. I have no device with such a screen for testing. If you have one and test this app, please report whether it works or not.

It doesn't work!
  • If you're using MIUI ROM: Please enable "Show popup window" for this app via the system settings.
  • Make sure this app was granted root rights.
  • Make sure that no brightness control or similar app interferes with this app.
  • Do you know what the purpose of this app is? Please make sure before posting that "it doesn't work".
  • Please take a minute to search the thread. If there's already an answer/solution this saves both of us time.
  • Nothing helps? Post your device name, Android version, ROM name/version and describe exactly what you did, e.g., how you tried to use the app/what you clicked/etc.

Cheers,

cygery

Screenshots:

phone_screenbacklightoff_1.png
phone_screenbacklightoff_2.png

Changelog:

v1.1.7.0:
added support for Android 6.0
small fixes and improvements

v1.1.6.0:
added support for mode devices

v1.1.5.0:

v1.1.4.0:
added: compatibility option for issues when using media control buttons

v1.1.3.0:
small fixes

v1.1.2.0:

v1.1.1.0:

v.1.1.0.0:
<b>NEW:</b> double tap to deactivate feature
<b>NEW:</b> option to activate when screen turns off
<b>NEW:</b> configurable overlay color
<b>NEW:</b> option to exit and remove notification(s) until app is started again
<b>NEW:</b> optional notification to show floating button to switch off backlight
<b>NEW:</b> timeout option
<b>NEW:</b> option to deactivate on phone call

v1.0.3.0:
added support for more devices
small fixes
small improvements

v1.0.2.0:
small improvements

v1.0.1.0:
small fixes

v1.0.0.0:
initial release

Attachments

• com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.0.0.0.apk
    624.4 KB · Views: 12,535
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.0.1.0.apk
    624.5 KB · Views: 642
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.0.2.0.apk
    624.5 KB · Views: 569
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.0.3.0.apk
    625.9 KB · Views: 7,380
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.1.0.0.apk
    638.5 KB · Views: 1,333
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.1.1.0.apk
    639.7 KB · Views: 567
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.1.2.0.apk
    639.8 KB · Views: 1,308
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.1.3.0.apk
    646.1 KB · Views: 1,246
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.1.4.0.apk
    688.1 KB · Views: 3,069
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.1.5.0.apk
    742.9 KB · Views: 481
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.1.6.0.apk
    742.9 KB · Views: 3,334
  • com.cygery.screenbacklightoff.xda-1.1.7.0.apk
    639.1 KB · Views: 20,187
Last edited:

cygery

May 6, 2013
cygery.com
Device compatibility:

Please note: This is not an exhaustive list and only mirrors my current state of knowledge. If your device is neither listed in the "compatible" or "incompatible" list its compatibility isn't known yet. If you test it please report and I'll update the lists.

Compatible:
  • Android One
  • Coolpad F1
  • Dell venue 8 3830
  • HTC Desire 510
  • HTC EVO 4G LTE
  • HTC One M7
  • LG D410
  • LG G Flex
  • LG G2
  • LG G3
  • Motorola Moto G
  • Motorola Moto X 2014
  • Nexus 4
  • Nexus 5
  • Nexus 6
  • Nexus 7 (2012)
  • Nexus 7 (2013)
  • OnePlus One
  • Oppo Find 7
  • Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 LTE
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 1
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
  • Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 (Intl.)
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
  • Samsung Galaxy Y
  • Sony Xperia M
  • Sony Xperia SP
  • Sony Xperia Z1
  • Sony Xperia Z2
  • Sony Xperia Z3 Dual
  • Xiaomi MI3
Incompatible:
  • Fonepad 7
  • Lenovo K900

Last edited:

dschoenike

Jul 7, 2007
Seems to be working well on my Sprint note 3 running jellybean. thank you for app and the work you put into it. Definitely worth a donation.

dschoenike

Reactions: cygery

killoid

Feb 5, 2013
@cygery force closed on my galaxy y duos gt-s6102, running stock 2.3.6 rom. log attached.

Attachments

• 2015-02-23_12-53-01.txt
    968 bytes · Views: 127

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
hi ,
tested on Note 4 ( N910F ) Lollipop v5.0.1 ,works fine!
and solved one big annoyance for me ,
watching movie on tv (device via MHL3 connector + HDMI cable to tv )
backlight of device was always on .
Now i can switch device backlight off ( perfect for me ) !!
and save wasting unnecessary battery power .
Tested it also on Note 8.0 ( KitKat ) tab, works also fine .
good luck

cygery

May 6, 2013
cygery.com
@cygery force closed on my galaxy y duos gt-s6102, running stock 2.3.6 rom. log attached.
Thanks for the report. The problem should be fixed in the new release (v1.0.3.0). Please clear the app data after installation. I tested it on my old Samsung Galaxy Y and found no issues so far but please post if anything doesn't work (as it should).

Reactions: killoid

cygery

May 6, 2013
cygery.com
I've uploaded an update (v1.0.3.0). What's new:
  • added support for more devices
  • small fixes
  • small improvements

mhboooool

Aug 5, 2013
tripoli
tanx for the nice app its gd wen am chatting save more battery and easy to see the screen just by touching it ... i was missing the double tab to awake in my phone ... working fine with my galaxy S4 CM12 ....
can u plz try to make the the screen wake up by double tab not just one?:)

cygery

May 6, 2013
cygery.com
tanx for the nice app its gd wen am chatting save more battery and easy to see the screen just by touching it ... i was missing the double tab to awake in my phone ... working fine with my galaxy S4 CM12 ....
can u plz try to make the the screen wake up by double tab not just one?:)

I'll wait how much demand there is for this.
Please note that this app doesn't put the device to sleep and its purpose is to be used with other apps (video players) which keep the device awake anyway. So this app doesn't wake up the device and shouldn't be used as a replacement for a "double tap to wake" feature.

killoid

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for the report. The problem should be fixed in the new release (v1.0.3.0). Please clear the app data after installation. I tested it on my old Samsung Galaxy Y and found no issues so far but please post if anything doesn't work (as it should).

i have a question. how can i activate it when i am in a full screen app? seems like i've to increase the activation time so that i can enter quickly into the app & then it will auto activate. but if u can implement an option to trigger it by double/triple/quad (as someone may trigger something else by tapping certain tym so it will be better to keep these three options) tapping the screen then it would be so much easy! we won't have to increase/decrease timer for different apps. & how does the option 'allow externel access' work? i mean i can switch off the screen from any app (except full screen ones) via notification without enabling it. so what does it do if i enable it?

cygery

May 6, 2013
cygery.com
i have a question. how can i activate it when i am in a full screen app? seems like i've to increase the activation time so that i can enter quickly into the app & then it will auto activate. but if u can implement an option to trigger it by double/triple/quad (as someone may trigger something else by tapping certain tym so it will be better to keep these three options) tapping the screen then it would be so much easy! we won't have to increase/decrease timer for different apps. & how does the option 'allow externel access' work? i mean i can switch off the screen from any app (except full screen ones) via notification without enabling it. so what does it do if i enable it?

I'll think if I can find a good way to enable it from a full screen app. Can you open the notification area from the recents screen? If I remember correctly it's opened by long clicking the home button on your device.
External access must be enabled to use the shortcut feature. You can add the shortcut to your home screen but automation tools usually also support shortcuts so you could combine it. Maybe it's already possible to detect double/triple taps with an automation tool and trigger this app then.

Reactions: killoid

killoid

Feb 5, 2013
I'll think if I can find a good way to enable it from a full screen app. Can you open the notification area from the recents screen? If I remember correctly it's opened by long clicking the home button on your device.
External access must be enabled to use the shortcut feature. You can add the shortcut to your home screen but automation tools usually also support shortcuts so you could combine it. Maybe it's already possible to detect double/triple taps with an automation tool and trigger this app then.

ok, i got it. maybe u can implement an option to show an overlay button to activate it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I've developed a small app to switch off the screen backlight without switching off the screen completely. It requires root.
    This is an xda-exclusive free version! If you want to support me, please consider getting the paid version on Google Play or check out my other apps.
    Please note: Redistribution of this app is not allowed!

Paid version on Google Play (same functionality): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cygery.screenbacklightoff

New: Now available via XDA Labs!

NEW: Video by MiroslavVitula: https://youtu.be/B7Wt3nIOdXg Thanks!

Review on NaldoTech: http://www.naldotech.com/turn-the-s...pting-videos-on-android-screen-backlight-off/ (Thanks!)

Device compatibility: second post

Why would I want to use this?
    The typical use case is:
    1. You use a video player app.
    2. You only want to enjoy the sound/music.
    3. Thus, you want the display to be off to save battery or because the brightness annoys you.
    However, most players stop the playback when the screen is turned off.
    An often used workaround are apps which set the backlight brightness to a very low (but still visible) value and/or put an additional dark layer on the screen. On typical LCD displays both methods keep the backlight on. Thus, it will still emit light and use battery power.
    This app turns off the screen backlight completely without switching off the screen.

Features:
    • Notification to quickly switch off screen backlight
    • Single or double tap to deactivate
    • Option to automatically activate when screen turns off
    • Configurable activation delay
    • Configurable overlay color and transparency
    • Timeout
    • Floating activation button (optional, enabled via additional notification)
    • Setting to keep screen on (usually not required)
    • Shortcut (allows other apps, e.g., automation tools, to switch off the backlight via this app)

How to turn the backlight on again?
    Simply touch the screen.

What about OLED/AMOLED screens?
    (Note: There are user reports where the app works on devices with AMOLED displays.)
    An exception are OLED/AMOLED screens where the pixels itself emit light. I have no device with such a screen for testing. If you have one and test this app, please report whether it works or not.

It doesn't work!
    • If you're using MIUI ROM: Please enable "Show popup window" for this app via the system settings.
    • Make sure this app was granted root rights.
    • Make sure that no brightness control or similar app interferes with this app.
    • Do you know what the purpose of this app is? Please make sure before posting that "it doesn't work".
    • Please take a minute to search the thread. If there's already an answer/solution this saves both of us time.
    • Nothing helps? Post your device name, Android version, ROM name/version and describe exactly what you did, e.g., how you tried to use the app/what you clicked/etc.

Cheers,

cygery

Screenshots:

phone_screenbacklightoff_1.png
    phone_screenbacklightoff_2.png

Changelog:

v1.1.7.0:
    added support for Android 6.0

v1.1.6.0:
    added support for mode devices

v1.1.5.0:

v1.1.4.0:
    added: compatibility option for issues when using media control buttons

v1.1.3.0:
    small fixes

v1.1.2.0:

v1.1.1.0:

v.1.1.0.0:
    <b>NEW:</b> double tap to deactivate feature
    <b>NEW:</b> option to activate when screen turns off
    <b>NEW:</b> configurable overlay color
    <b>NEW:</b> option to exit and remove notification(s) until app is started again
    <b>NEW:</b> optional notification to show floating button to switch off backlight
    <b>NEW:</b> timeout option
    <b>NEW:</b> option to deactivate on phone call

v1.0.3.0:
    added support for more devices
    small fixes
    small improvements

v1.0.2.0:
    small improvements

v1.0.1.0:
    small fixes

v1.0.0.0:
    initial release
    Device compatibility:

Please note: This is not an exhaustive list and only mirrors my current state of knowledge. If your device is neither listed in the "compatible" or "incompatible" list its compatibility isn't known yet. If you test it please report and I'll update the lists.

Compatible:
    • Android One
    • Coolpad F1
    • Dell venue 8 3830
    • HTC Desire 510
    • HTC EVO 4G LTE
    • HTC One M7
    • LG D410
    • LG G Flex
    • LG G2
    • LG G3
    • Motorola Moto G
    • Motorola Moto X 2014
    • Nexus 4
    • Nexus 5
    • Nexus 6
    • Nexus 7 (2012)
    • Nexus 7 (2013)
    • OnePlus One
    • Oppo Find 7
    • Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 LTE
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 1
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
    • Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    • Samsung Galaxy S3 (Intl.)
    • Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE
    • Samsung Galaxy S4
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE
    • Samsung Galaxy S5
    • Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
    • Samsung Galaxy Y
    • Sony Xperia M
    • Sony Xperia SP
    • Sony Xperia Z1
    • Sony Xperia Z2
    • Sony Xperia Z3 Dual
    • Xiaomi MI3
    Incompatible:
    • Fonepad 7
    • Lenovo K900
    I've uploaded the update. What's new:
    • NEW: double tap to deactivate feature
    • NEW: option to activate when screen turns off
    • NEW: configurable overlay color
    • NEW: option to exit and remove notification(s) until app is started again
    • NEW: optional notification to show floating button to switch off backlight
    • NEW: timeout option
    • NEW: option to deactivate on phone call
    • small fixes and improvements
    There are a couple of new options which might interfere with each other. Although I've tested them individually and some combinations there still might be some bugs. Thus, please test and report any issues!
    Ah that's too bad. I was hoping I could use this app for this exact reason: cast screen to Chromecast without keeping the phone's screen on.

Should be fixable in next update which is scheduled for tomorrow. Fixable means here that you'll be able to change the color/transparency of the fullscreen overlay which is currently solid black and most likely causing this.