[APP][2.3+][ROOT] Toggle Cell Radio 5.0 (xda-exclusive free version)

Search This thread

cygery

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 6, 2013
cygery.com
Hi,

I've developed a widget to toggle cell radio on Android 5.0/5.1 (Lollipop), Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), and Android 7.0/7.1 (Nougat). It requires root.
This is an xda-exclusive free version! If you want to support me, please consider getting the paid version on Google Play or check out my other apps.
Please note: Redistribution of this app is not allowed!

New: Support for dual SIM/multi SIM devices on Android 5.1 and later.

Paid version on Google Play (more functionality): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cygery.togglecellradio

Device compatibility: second post

This free version only includes the widget. The paid version on Google Play additionally includes a Locale/Tasker compatible plugin and support for shortcuts.

Device Support
Device support depends on a variety of factors, including your specific device model, Android version, installed (custom) ROM, used root provider (su binary), and SELinux configuration. This app includes options to deal with different configurations of some of those factors. Please let me know if this app does not work on your device.

Notes
The widget is passive. Thus, it has to request root every time it is refreshed. Although the battery impact is negligible, this usually results in frequent (Toast) messages indicating that the app was granted root rights. Please refer to your superuser management app if you'd like to disable those messages specifically for this app.

Known issues:
Android 6.0/Samsung: There are user reports about issues with Samsung devices and Android 6.0: [1] [2]

Other Issues: When reporting any issues please include the following info in your post: Device, ROM and ROM version, exact version number of this app you use (don't just write "latest"), superuser management app (e.g., SuperSU) and version, content of any shown error messages. Describe in detail what you tried to do, what you expected to happen, and what happened instead. Include screenshots/screencasts where possible and useful to show the issue.

Cheers,

cygery

Screenshots:

phone_togglecellradio_1.png
phone_togglecellradio_2.png

Changelog

v1.4.3.0:
small fixes and improvements

v1.4.2.0:

v1.4.1.0:

v1.4.0.0:
added multi-SIM support with customizable label in widget
added option to use default SELinux context (makes app compatible with more root providers)

v1.3.8.0:
added support for Android 6.0

v1.3.6.0:

v1.3.5.0:
small fixes

v1.3.4.0:
NEW: Material-like design
NEW: support for some other superuser apps on older Android versions

v1.2.0.0:
added support for Android 2.1+

v1.1.4.0:
initial release

Attachments

• com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.1.4.0.apk
    607.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.2.0.0.apk
    653.9 KB · Views: 1,259
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.3.4.0.apk
    606.7 KB · Views: 214
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.3.5.0.apk
    606.9 KB · Views: 339
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.3.6.0.apk
    606.9 KB · Views: 1,100
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.3.8.0.apk
    639.2 KB · Views: 1,334
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.4.0.0.apk
    674.3 KB · Views: 34
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.4.1.0.apk
    779.4 KB · Views: 36
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.4.2.0.apk
    779.4 KB · Views: 52
  • com.cygery.togglecellradio.xda-1.4.3.0.apk
    779.4 KB · Views: 1,240
Last edited:

cygery

May 6, 2013
cygery.com
Device compatibility:

Please note: This is not an exhaustive list and only mirrors my current state of knowledge. If your device is neither listed in the "compatible" or "incompatible" list its compatibility isn't known yet. If you test it please report and I'll update the lists.

Compatible:
  • Nexus 4
  • Nexus 5
  • Nexus 6
  • Moto x 2014
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Shield LTE
  • LG Optimus Slider
  • Sprint EVO 4G LTE (Jewel)
  • Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime
Incompatible:
  • (none known yet)

Last edited:
Reactions: duttyend

cygery

May 6, 2013
cygery.com
I've uploaded a new version (1.2.0.0) which adds support for Android 2.1+ devices. However, I'm unable to test it on pre-4.3 devices. If you test it please report it it works or if you have any issues.

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
I'm confused, what does toggle cell radio mean? It doesn't toggle network type (3g, 2g, etc), it doesn't toggle data, so what is left again?

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
It toggles the cellular radio (mobile network) on and off.

Sorry for the stupid question, but can this be done not automatically? I mean, I can change network type by hand, I can deactivate data by hand, but can I toggle the cellular radio, without putting the phone in airplane mode I mean? Cheers for the clarification

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
Anyone know how much battery this actually saves in day to day use (like if you've disabled cell radio in the past regularly when on wifi)? I am using the 3g/lte switch that he posted and it's working great. I use GV/hangouts for everything. Wondering if this would be worth it to use anytime I am on wifi. I can't tell battery stats very well with lollipop. It has never shown cell radio for me yet like kitkat used to.

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
Anyone know how much battery this actually saves in day to day use (like if you've disabled cell radio in the past regularly when on wifi)? I am using the 3g/lte switch that he posted and it's working great. I use GV/hangouts for everything. Wondering if this would be worth it to use anytime I am on wifi. I can't tell battery stats very well with lollipop. It has never shown cell radio for me yet like kitkat used to.
Use it and tell us. :D

Reactions: cygery

mtp3

Sep 4, 2014
cell radio battery use

The cell radio battery use will vary very much from phone to phone and also depends on signal stength.

On my galaxy s3, with a strong cell signal, my phone uses around 1-2% of battery per hour at idle. With no cell signal, the phone uses 4-6% per hour as it is trying to connect all the time. When I turn off the radio, I draw 1% per hour.

A weak signal will use 2-3% per hour.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Hi,

The widget does not seem to work on the galaxy s3 (Cyanogenmod 4.4.4 M12). When I press the button, it toggles (just the widget, not the radio), and then will not toggle back on.

If I use the dialer to get to the phone menu and toggle the radio from there, the widget will toggle back on (with no effect on the radio).

Phone is rooted.

Not sure if it is an app issue, CM issue, or Galaxy S3 issue.

Thanks for your efforts - it would be nice to toggle from the home page as the battery savings (see previous post) are big.

mtp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I've developed a widget to toggle cell radio on Android 5.0/5.1 (Lollipop), Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), and Android 7.0/7.1 (Nougat). It requires root.
    This is an xda-exclusive free version! If you want to support me, please consider getting the paid version on Google Play or check out my other apps.
    Please note: Redistribution of this app is not allowed!

New: Support for dual SIM/multi SIM devices on Android 5.1 and later.

Paid version on Google Play (more functionality): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cygery.togglecellradio

Device compatibility: second post

This free version only includes the widget. The paid version on Google Play additionally includes a Locale/Tasker compatible plugin and support for shortcuts.

Device Support
    Device support depends on a variety of factors, including your specific device model, Android version, installed (custom) ROM, used root provider (su binary), and SELinux configuration. This app includes options to deal with different configurations of some of those factors. Please let me know if this app does not work on your device.

Notes
    The widget is passive. Thus, it has to request root every time it is refreshed. Although the battery impact is negligible, this usually results in frequent (Toast) messages indicating that the app was granted root rights. Please refer to your superuser management app if you'd like to disable those messages specifically for this app.

Known issues:
    Android 6.0/Samsung: There are user reports about issues with Samsung devices and Android 6.0: [1] [2]

Other Issues: When reporting any issues please include the following info in your post: Device, ROM and ROM version, exact version number of this app you use (don't just write "latest"), superuser management app (e.g., SuperSU) and version, content of any shown error messages. Describe in detail what you tried to do, what you expected to happen, and what happened instead. Include screenshots/screencasts where possible and useful to show the issue.

Cheers,

cygery

Screenshots:

phone_togglecellradio_1.png
    phone_togglecellradio_2.png

Changelog

v1.4.3.0:

v1.4.2.0:

v1.4.1.0:

v1.4.0.0:
    added multi-SIM support with customizable label in widget
    added option to use default SELinux context (makes app compatible with more root providers)

v1.3.8.0:
    added support for Android 6.0

v1.3.6.0:

v1.3.5.0:
    small fixes

v1.3.4.0:
    NEW: Material-like design
    NEW: support for some other superuser apps on older Android versions

v1.2.0.0:
    added support for Android 2.1+

v1.1.4.0:
    initial release
    Device compatibility:

Please note: This is not an exhaustive list and only mirrors my current state of knowledge. If your device is neither listed in the "compatible" or "incompatible" list its compatibility isn't known yet. If you test it please report and I'll update the lists.

Compatible:
    • Nexus 4
    • Nexus 5
    • Nexus 6
    • Moto x 2014
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Shield LTE
    • LG Optimus Slider
    • Sprint EVO 4G LTE (Jewel)
    • Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime
    Incompatible:
    • (none known yet)
    Any chance to have a 2g/3g switcher? And btw is working on nexus 4 too.
    Tested Play Store version works fine on the Shield LTE.