[APP][2.3+] Top News (Floating RSS & Social Reader) - The fastest way to read XDA

Tooleap

Apr 16, 2014
www.tooleap.com
Top News is a fast and elegant RSS reader floating at the top of your screen

Top news places a small floating bubble on the top of your screen, that notifies you whenever new stories happen. Clicking on the bubble slides in a side-screen with all the latest headlines.
Super fast, Super easy -- Read all headlines even when offline.

The floating news bubble provides an innovative user-experience, with the latest news stories from leading websites, shown at the front of your screen.

Why should you use Top News:
  • Super fast - Be the first one to know about new stories and articles
  • Super easy - Read the latest stories with a single click, anywhere on your device
  • Offline support - Read headlines even when not connected to the internet
  • Social Networks Support - Get real time updates from your favorite Facebook pages
  • Multi-tasking experience - Stay updated while using other apps
  • Add your own feeds - Search and add any RSS feeds from around the web.
  • Highly Customizable - Adjust the floating bubble size and visibility, and more cool options to tweak with

Among the different RSS feeds Top News comes with are NBC News, New York Times, AOL News, Techcrunch, Engadget, BuzzFeed, The Huffington Post, Bleacher Report, ESPN, Quartz, Reuters, Hollywood Reporter, XDA and more!
We continue adding support for more news sites.

Download Top News from the Play Store
http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newsflashapp.usnews

If you liked our app, please consider giving us a positive review on the play store :) Thanks!

Latest Version 1.1.1:
  • Social Networks Support - Get real time updates from your favorite Facebook pages

FAQ

The floating bubble only appears on top of the lock screen
Might you be using an xposed module that makes your device always appear in fullscreen mode? The bubble hides itself when in fullscreen.
To solve this, press on the bubble in the lock screen, press on the three little dots on the top left of the side-screen, go to settings, and turn on "Keep bubble available in full-screen mode".

Attachments

Last edited:

Sieber101

Feb 6, 2013
Been looking for a new news app but the ads in top news are a bit much...especially the full screen ads and no option to pay to upgrade to remove them. Otherwise good sources and has potential to be great.

joluke

Jan 29, 2014
No custom rss? No support for feedly? This app is useless in my opinion, way better apps in play google! If feedly support is implemented i'll redo my comment :)

Reactions: Tooleap

gregferns

Sep 19, 2009
Mumbai
As @Sieber101 said, it would be good to have some way to remove the ads...

Also is it possible to get news of other countries ?? I see the app is restricting to only USA and
only a limited number of Sources of news.

Cheers,
Greg

Tooleap

Apr 16, 2014
www.tooleap.com
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the feedback :)

We are adding support for custom rss feeds.
It should be done in the next few days.

In the meantime I would appreciate more feedback. Is there anything more you would like to see in the app?

Gggggas

Dec 9, 2013
Hi and congrats for this great app. I would personally love to have the ability to open directly the bubble every time I open the app.
Now you are shown the menu and choose to open the bubble.

Gggggas

Dec 9, 2013
Another suggestion

When I open the bubble to see the news, the bubble closes every time I select an article to open with a browser. Since I am using link bubble and flynx which run in the background it would be awesome if the top news bar didn't close and just let me select the articles I want to read.
In that way link bubble would have loaded 7 or 10 pages for me to read.

Tooleap

Apr 16, 2014
www.tooleap.com
Another suggestion

When I open the bubble to see the news, the bubble closes every time I select an article to open with a browser. Since I am using link bubble and flynx which run in the background it would be awesome if the top news bar didn't close and just let me select the articles I want to read.
In that way link bubble would have loaded 7 or 10 pages for me to read.
Wow!
Top News AND Link Bubble AND Flynx? This is like multi-multi-multi-tasking. All hail the multitasking king :cool:

I'll have to think about it. It might not be technically easy to keep the side-screen open when you select an article.
Maybe it can be done with the long-press menu.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Keep them coming :good:

Reactions: joluke and Gggggas

Gggggas

Dec 9, 2013
Wow!
Top News AND Link Bubble AND Flynx? This is like multi-multi-multi-tasking. All hail the multitasking king :cool:

I'll have to think about it. It might not be technically easy to keep the side-screen open when you select an article.
Maybe it can be done with the long-press menu.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Keep them coming :good:
Hehe yeah I'm a multi multi tasker lol using pin tasking too by the way, which turns regular browsers like chrome into bubbles.
I hope you can do it cause it would be just amazing for multitaskers.
Can't wait for the next updates!

Tooleap

Apr 16, 2014
www.tooleap.com
As @Sieber101 said, it would be good to have some way to remove the ads...

Also is it possible to get news of other countries ?? I see the app is restricting to only USA and
only a limited number of Sources of news.

Cheers,
Greg
Hi @gregferns

You are absolutely right.
In the next version we plan to add custom RSS support, so you can add your local news sites.
On the longer run, we plan that the default list will offer you by default news sites from your local country.

Thanks

Reactions: joluke and Gggggas