• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][22/09/2008] Diamond SnowStorm

Search This thread

cgeboers

Jan 8, 2008
Schriek
Here is a "Snow Dome" type of application. Completely useless, but it was fun for programming. Try using it 2 days in a row :)

Watch this space for enhancements over time.

- Changed the speed

All new version on 22 Sep 2008
This has been a complete rewrite of the SnowStorm application and it was a good learning school !

Despite the complexity :rolleyes: of the algorithm, I think the response times are very acceptable. If you like to count the number of snowflakes: there are 200 of them and each of them is updated every 40 ms !
I am really impressed with the 3D capabilities of the Diamond !

Using the OpenGLES SDK to create a "pseudo" 3D layout.
- Snowflakes will be larger in the front then in the back.
- If the PDA is laying horizontal, snowflakes will "disappear" to the back-end or stay on the front after a while
- Pseudo horizon, fixed at about 50% of the screen.
- Simple graphics, trees are placed randomly, snowman is fixed
- Simple turbulence (any pointers to good algorithms are appreciated)
- Snowflakes disappear behind trees/snowman, depending on their position in space. They will travel through them however
- Simple collision detection, only sides of the "frustum" are checked, as well as the artificial floor.

Click on the top part to be asked to quit the program. Click on the lower (25%) of the screen to restart it.

Expect some other enhancements over time too.

Needs CF 3.5 !

Important:

If you like my applications and want to donate, consider a donation to Koushik.
After all it is thanks to his (and the many other developers) work and readiness to share it that I can write these programs. I (currently) still get enough satisfaction in writing these programs.

Attachments

• SnowStorm.jpg
    SnowStorm.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 12,795
  • SnowStormInstaller01.CAB
    724.7 KB · Views: 5,061
  • SnowStorm2.jpg
    SnowStorm2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,272
  • SnowStormInstaller02.CAB
    442.7 KB · Views: 6,263
  • SnowStormOpenGL1.jpg
    SnowStormOpenGL1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,129
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2008
haha
totally random
but useless
well at least ill show off my friends i have a digital snowstorm ball
:p
i wonder if you can put it as a wallpaper

so when you are in the 'home' tab and move the phone it snow

sjarrel

Aug 25, 2008
.net compact framework

.net compact framework needed, where can i get the latest version for my diamond?

unvisigoth

Feb 22, 2008
Roma
Totally useless, but...........very cool.:)
Only a question. I've installed your cab but I've obtained only the second image that you've posted not the first. Is there a way to pass from one image to another ?
Thanks

cgeboers

Jan 8, 2008
Schriek
Picture selection

Totally useless, but...........very cool.:)
Only a question. I've installed your cab but I've obtained only the second image that you've posted not the first. Is there a way to pass from one image to another ?
Thanks
Currently there is no way to change the images, I just display one each day :p
So to answer your question: wait for a day ;)

BTW, working on a new openGL based version that might react faster and more realistic

- Also thinking about user selected pictures, so you can insert anything you like.
- Anybody thinks that having sound is a good idea ?

cgeboers

Jan 8, 2008
Schriek
Jingle Bells

Send me a wave or mp3 with some jingle bells and I'll do my best. I'll make sure you have it before Xmas.

marios96

Sep 11, 2007
Nicosia
Currently there is no way to change the images, I just display one each day :p
[...]

- Also thinking about user selected pictures, so you can insert anything you like.
- Anybody thinks that having sound is a good idea ?

This could be big... Xperia X1's Fish tank big..., maybe we could use this as a screensaver or as an unlock screen of some kind....

Maybe we should be able to change not only the picture on the background but the color and size on the snowflakes as well, so it won't be just a christmas thing...

Also, maybe you should also put some interactive water in the ball... as for sound? It's not really necessary i think...

Good job btw! Thanks...

Giannis86

Sep 14, 2008
Tilburg
cool application for xmas
i do have a suggestion though

i would assume that the large amount of snowflakes caused the slow down..i think you should have about 50 snowflakes at most (maybe slightly bigger if necessary)..200 makes it a bit too clustered

uniqueboy

Apr 11, 2006
Wow I am made up to see this, I don't know why I didn't see it before, I think it may even have been my idea once, so thanks a lot for making it real.:D
So many downloads awesome!
Edit: Had a play great, better than I thought, Looking forward to be able to run it with my own background image.

Last edited: