[APP][25.09.08]HTC Touch Diamond VR Hologram v2.02

Search This thread

pauloke

Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
VR Hologram very similar to the wii Head Tracking VR demo made famous on youtube.

Uses G-Sensor to track tilt and update the VR Hologram view accordingly. 3D Hologram created using Managed Direct 3D Mobile (MD3DM). Found it easier to learn than the Managered wrapper for Opengl ES.

This is my first 3D app / game and also my first windows mobile app so be gentle but your comments, recommendations and criticisms are more than welcome. Been checking out this forum for over a year now but never really contributed.

htctouchdiamondhologramro5.jpg
htctouchdiamondsettingsax9.jpg

Change Log

v2.02

Control Panel Added
  • Reverse tilt direction
  • Control affect of Moving Average Smoothing
  • Control tilt distance
  • Use set sprite locations or random sprite locations
  • Choose number of random sprites (5 - 20)
  • Choose from pre-set sprite texture (thanks to the submissions on this thread)
  • Choose custom texture image from file system
    N.B. Limited allowed image size to 150kb
    certain images (haven't been able to determine why) cause the application to crash. No exception is raised by HTC's implementation of MD3DM so cannot investigate. Just restart app and texture falls back to a preloaded texture.
  • Displays Average Frames Per Second over recent frames
  • Settings saved to file and are applied once app restarted
v1.0
First Release

MD3DM Graphics
G-Sensor view tilt (smoothed using moving average)
Nav sensor zoom
Tap screen to exit

HTC Diamond Sensor SDK (Thanks Koush)

Smoothing of G-Sensor reading essential as output is definately not. Kalman filter would have been ideal but the maths involved just goes beyond me. Moving average more than sufficient though.

Hopefully if I have time this concept can be carried forward into a game using either MD3DM or Opengl ES.

This is a concept app but can also be used to show those without the Diamond it abilities :)

Check it out on youtube

Hope you enjoy!! Let me know of any bugs :cool:

EDIT: Default orientation of diamond for the app is laid flat due to how the G-Sensor reading are intepreted. Diamond laid flat facing up to have a view straight down.

It appears that MD3DM drivers on the diamond are not complete as setting the app to draw fullscreen causes the render not to be presented on to the screen.

Confirmed phones that this app works with are:
Touch Diamond
MDA Compact IV
Touch Pro

For the following phones please refer to: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2972398&postcount=417 (Pillermann Columbus)
Touch HD
Touch Diamond 2

For those that are experiencing slow FPS e.g. 0.14fps then please try installing the ATI Drivers: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=475493

By no means is this app optimized to run as quick as possible. Also the FPS is just an average FPS so gives a benchmark indication but it isn't the most accurate.

Download v2.02 Source: 4Shared

Last edited:

wontcachme

Jun 22, 2008
Nijmegen
i have just 3 letters for this: WOW

After installing:
Does not work properly for me. The depth perspective moves. So only when the diamond lays flat on the table i see the background. Otherwise the depth moves out of the picture. This was not how it look likes on youtube

Image example added. This was with the phone laying with the right side down and the left side up.

Attachments

• Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 5,771
Last edited:

marios96

Sep 11, 2007
Nicosia
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I am testing it on my Touch Pro right now...

EDIT: Working great on my PRO! It even zooms in-out using the touch pad...!

FANTASTIC!!!

Last edited:

tuem

Aug 4, 2007
Karlsruhe
niiiice!

imagine what could be done with this effect...

one little thought - i think if you made the perspective change "slower" with the tilt, it might look better, right now it seems that the perspective angle changes faster than the tilt angle.

and it would be great if it was possible to have these circles be in perspective (becoming oval) to add to the 3d effect

Last edited:

pauloke

Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
i have just 3 letters for this: WOW

After installing:
Does not work properly for me. The depth perspective moves. So only when the diamond lays flat on the table i see the background. Otherwise the depth moves out of the picture. This was not how it look likes on youtube

Image example added. This was with the phone laying with the right side down and the left side up.

Sorry I didn't mention it originally but the default orientation of the phone is flat so that the app looks correct. The youtube clip was recorded with the diamond held flat.

I have updated the original post.

pbv302

Aug 25, 2008
niiiice!

one little thought - i think if you made the perspective change "slower" with the tilt, it might look better, right now it seems that the perspective angle changes faster than the tilt angle.

and it would be great if it was possible to have these circles be in perspective (becoming oval) to add to the 3d effect

As he said.

pauloke

Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
niiiice!

Thanks for the comments - I'll try and tweek the tilt settings a little, thought I had it about right.

My experience with MD3DM is very limited. Not sure how to modify its texture perspective handling but I will look into it.

puky69

Mar 13, 2005
error

I have a problem. I installed but when I go to do aprtire tells me this erroe:
the sample has run into an error and needsto close : driver invalid call exception

pauloke

Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
Posts on how this effect can be utilised in cool new apps and games are also welcome. Hopefully we can start something new with the diamond.

pauloke

Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
I have a problem. I installed but when I go to do aprtire tells me this erroe:
the sample has run into an error and needsto close : driver invalid call exception

hmm.....

I guess you have a Touch Diamond?

What rom are you running as the exception leads me to believe you have a driver missing? This could be sensor drivers or MD3DM graphics driver.

Confirmed phones that this app works with are:
Touch Diamond
MDA Compact IV
Touch Pro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sweet 3D and perfect sensor response. Please make more, MORE! :p