• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][3.0+][1.04] PicPac Camera - Pack your live moments into one Picture

Search This thread

genliang.guan

Sep 19, 2013
Sydney
+++ 2013.10.20: I created a Medium post about my experience on developing this app. Click here if you are interested.

****************** BUG FIX HISTORY *****************
I have to notify this to all who are interested in this app.

+++ 2013.09.23: The reason of crashes on many devices has been fixed, but there still might be some out_of_memory errors.
I have updated it to V1.01 (If you still see V1.0 at play store, then you may just install it and wait for the updates in a few hours

+++ 2013.09.24: Reduce 66% of memory usage, added camera shutter sound. V1.02.
+++ 2013.09.24. Found the bug report from Developer concole! Fix more bugs, V1.03.

Please install it and test it on your device. If it still crashes, please use the feedback button in the Settings to notify me. I will be grateful for you help.
****** If the system ask you to send the crash report, please do so to help me fix bugs. THANK YOU ******
VERY SORRY for the inconvenience, and forgive me as a first-time developer.
*************** END WARNING **************

My first post at XDA, for my new simple camera app called PicPac Camera.
This app packs your live shots into one picture for easy sharing.
Share more with multiple shots. More interesting, more content.
Share less with only one picture. Less upload, less time to view.

See picpac.me for more details.

Sorry for no links and no big images. New user cannot use those.

---------------------------------- How I develop PicPac Camera -------------------------------------------------

Since this forum is for developers, I will first share how I built this app so far.

PhD student - I am a last-year PhD student, and this is probably my last work before finding a job.
40 hours - This app takes a few weekends to finish, about 40 hours.
Free and ad included - It is a utility app and it is free, so I put an ad at the share screen which may give me a few cents a week:fingers-crossed:
Two modes - It has two modes, TRIO and PLUS. Trio takes 3 shots, and Plus takes 1 to 9 shots.
App name - PicPac Camera ~ pac your pics
Domain name - picpac.me Cost me $9.99 a year.
Website - picpac.me . Hosted on strikingly.com for FREE! And just let Godaddy forward picpac.me to strinkingly (for now). Setting up the website only takes me 1 - 2 hours, including preparing the images for the website. Super easy for fast release.

----------------------------------- Why I develop PicPac Camera ------------------------------------------------

TRIO was inspired by Triptychs of Strangers by Adde Adesokan at Flickr. These photos are really cool.
See the last attached image
Then I extended it to support up-to-9 shots (PLUS mode) in case people want to share more.

----------------------------------- PicPac Camera Screenshots ------------------------------------------------

See the attached images.

----------------------------------- Please help me to test it and share it ------------------------------------------------

See below for Google Play Store link (if you install the apk before, please kindly unstall it first)
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.picpac

The apk is attached as well for people who live in regions without Play Store access.

I will appreciate any comments.

Attachments

• device-2013-09-21-225402.jpg
    device-2013-09-21-225402.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,360
  • device-2013-09-21-225510.jpg
    device-2013-09-21-225510.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,329
  • device-2013-09-21-225558.jpg
    device-2013-09-21-225558.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,285
  • inspired.jpg
    inspired.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 2,502
  • Picpac_release.V1.03.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 880
Last edited:

genliang.guan

Sep 19, 2013
Sydney
Why isn't it on the play store?

It is actually on the play store (have modified the original post). But I am a new user so the system does not allow me to put links outside XDA:(

See below for Google Play Store link:

If you install the apk, please kindly uninstall it and use the store. You know why:)

The apk is for people who live in regions without Play Store access. Haha. It is also a requirement for app review at XDA.:)

genliang.guan

Sep 19, 2013
Sydney
Woaw that's cool bro. i like it. And i agree Amoosa ;)

Sorry, I should have done multi-quote. Reply content is the same as the previous one.

See below for Google Play Store link:

If you install the apk, please kindly uninstall it and use the store. You know why

The apk is for people who live in regions without Play Store access. Haha. It is also a requirement for app review at XDA.

genliang.guan

Sep 19, 2013
Sydney
Interesting app, unfortunately does not work on my pantech flex with ics

Sent from my PantechP8010 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sorry to hear that, and thanks for the heads up.
I have already got NOT-WORKING feedback from users of Droid DNA, PantechP8010, and Note 2.
This is bad:( but it is good for a first-time developer like me to realize how important it is to test on more devices...

I tested it on Nexus 4, and a very old HTC Desire.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on this? Any online services you can recommend?

Thank you all!

Sandy||Striker

Aug 5, 2011
faridabad
TESTING..!!

Sorry to hear that, and thanks for the heads up.
I have already got NOT-WORKING feedback from users of Droid DNA, PantechP8010, and Note 2.
This is bad:( but it is good for a first-time developer like me to realize how important it is to test on more devices...

I tested it on Nexus 4, and a very old HTC Desire.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on this? Any online services you can recommend?

Thank you all!

you can test your app on around 40 android devices on this website.

https://appthwack.com/‎

check it.

nice app btw. :)

Nosreves91

Apr 24, 2013
Downloaded and running fine so far on the HTC One S. No crashes, freezes, or anything of the sort. Fun app!:good:

ppzoid

Nov 27, 2010
Crashes on HTC One X with ViperX rom. Works on Asus Tf700t with CROMi-X.

genliang.guan

Sep 19, 2013
Sydney
V1.01 fix

Interesting app, unfortunately does not work on my pantech flex with ics

Sent from my PantechP8010 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

After I select one of the options it crashes on my HTCOne stock Rom not rooted. Hopefully soon it gets fixed

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

FC on S2 i9100 / CM10.2 latest nightly (4.3)

FC after tapping on any button except settings
GTab 2 with slim 4.3

Crashes on HTC One X with ViperX rom. Works on Asus Tf700t with CROMi-X.

I found a stupid and fatal mistake. I added "mCamera.enableShutterSound(true); " (for API 17 or above, i.e. OS 4.2+) in my last revision, and the eclipse/Lint did not give me warning or errors. MY MISTAKE.

Have updated the apk and attach it here (the google play store takes hours to update...)
Can anyone help me to further test it. I think there may still be some out-of-memory error for some devices, but fingers crossed fingers-crossed:

Thank you all.

Attachments

• Picpac_release.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: igor45

igor45

Apr 19, 2008
Essential Phone
I found a stupid and fatal mistake. I added "mCamera.enableShutterSound(true); " (for API 17 or above, i.e. OS 4.2+) in my last revision, and the eclipse/Lint did not give me warning or errors. MY MISTAKE.

Have updated the apk and attach it here (the google play store takes hours to update...)
Can anyone help me to further test it. I think there may still be some out-of-memory error for some devices, but fingers crossed fingers-crossed:

Thank you all.

no change here i9100 CM10.2 working with front facing camera only

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +++ 2013.10.20: I created a Medium post about my experience on developing this app. Click here if you are interested.

****************** BUG FIX HISTORY *****************
    I have to notify this to all who are interested in this app.

+++ 2013.09.23: The reason of crashes on many devices has been fixed, but there still might be some out_of_memory errors.
    I have updated it to V1.01 (If you still see V1.0 at play store, then you may just install it and wait for the updates in a few hours

+++ 2013.09.24: Reduce 66% of memory usage, added camera shutter sound. V1.02.
    +++ 2013.09.24. Found the bug report from Developer concole! Fix more bugs, V1.03.

Please install it and test it on your device. If it still crashes, please use the feedback button in the Settings to notify me. I will be grateful for you help.
    ****** If the system ask you to send the crash report, please do so to help me fix bugs. THANK YOU ******
    VERY SORRY for the inconvenience, and forgive me as a first-time developer.
    *************** END WARNING **************

My first post at XDA, for my new simple camera app called PicPac Camera.
    This app packs your live shots into one picture for easy sharing.
    Share more with multiple shots. More interesting, more content.
    Share less with only one picture. Less upload, less time to view.

See picpac.me for more details.

Sorry for no links and no big images. New user cannot use those.

---------------------------------- How I develop PicPac Camera -------------------------------------------------

Since this forum is for developers, I will first share how I built this app so far.

PhD student - I am a last-year PhD student, and this is probably my last work before finding a job.
    40 hours - This app takes a few weekends to finish, about 40 hours.
    Free and ad included - It is a utility app and it is free, so I put an ad at the share screen which may give me a few cents a week:fingers-crossed:
    Two modes - It has two modes, TRIO and PLUS. Trio takes 3 shots, and Plus takes 1 to 9 shots.
    App name - PicPac Camera ~ pac your pics
    Domain name - picpac.me Cost me $9.99 a year.
    Website - picpac.me . Hosted on strikingly.com for FREE! And just let Godaddy forward picpac.me to strinkingly (for now). Setting up the website only takes me 1 - 2 hours, including preparing the images for the website. Super easy for fast release.

----------------------------------- Why I develop PicPac Camera ------------------------------------------------

TRIO was inspired by Triptychs of Strangers by Adde Adesokan at Flickr. These photos are really cool.
    See the last attached image
    Then I extended it to support up-to-9 shots (PLUS mode) in case people want to share more.

----------------------------------- PicPac Camera Screenshots ------------------------------------------------

See the attached images.

----------------------------------- Please help me to test it and share it ------------------------------------------------

See below for Google Play Store link (if you install the apk before, please kindly unstall it first)

The apk is attached as well for people who live in regions without Play Store access.

I will appreciate any comments.
    Looks great, i'll try it.

Sony Xperia Z & Tapatalk 2
    Trying it out now. Looks great. Why isn't it on the play store?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
    Woaw that's cool bro. i like it. And i agree Amoosa ;)

Sony Xperia Z & Tapatalk 2
    Nobody likes ads. Thanks for the effort.