• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

[APP][3.0+][1.2.3] WiFiQR - Share WiFi Networks With QR Codes

Stevenator21

Jul 3, 2012

Description
As everybody knows, entering WiFi passwords is a pain. They can be painfully long, even more so if you enter it in wrong. WifiQR ventures to solve this age old issue with QR Codes. Scanning a QR Code generated by this app with Barcode Scanner (Click the "Barcode" button on the action bar to open) will automatically join you to that network. You can text it, email it, print it, even add pretty colors if you want! It is by far the quickest way to share WiFi Passwords.

Features
- Scan a QR Code and automatically join the WiFi Network
- Add colors to your QR codes
- Saves Networks for later use
- Auto-Complete to easily resurrect saved networks
- Share button to share your QR codes
- Touch the QR code to make it full screen
- Easy Access to Barcode Scanner
- Network you are currently connected to appears in the SSID Text Box automatically

Future Features
- Root Users: Load networks stored on your phone to load password along with SSID
- Immersive mode when QR Code is full screen
- It will tell you if it correctly connected
- Backup system for Data
- Long Click to connect to network of QR Code being displayed - Currently being worked on
- NFC Sharing
- Custom Hex Codes for Colors
- Move Toasts over to Crouton
- If you have any ideas please post them in this thread

Bugs
- Removes QR Code on orientation change
- If you found one, feel free to shoot me an email (Or PM me) at [email protected] or post what you were doing + logcat on this thread or

Permissions
android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE - For reading the currently connected network
android.permission.INTERNET - Will be removed in next update
android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE - For an upcoming feature in 1.3
Download
Google Play
- APK in Attachments

Beta G+ Group
Here

Translate
If you are intrested in translating it is VERY easy to do and can be found at this link

Changelog
1.2.3 - 1/8/14
-Fixed crash reported so far on only Samsung devices.

1.2.2 - 1/7/14
-The fix in 1.2.1 was crashing phones on startup and it is now fixed

1.2.1 - 1/5/14
-Fixed error where first letter of SSID was cut off on some phones

1.2 - 1/4/14
-Added 2 permissions for Analytics
-Fixed error that broke some QR Codes

1.1 - 1/3/14
-Removed SD Card access permissions; They were not needed anymore
-Fixed Bug on Certain Colors

1.0 - 12/13/13
-No New Changes, first version!
Uses
ZXing - Apache License 2.0

Version Info
Created - 12/31/13
Latest - 1/7/14

Attachments

Last edited:

MstrBubbles

Feb 6, 2013
Cologne
I don't know what I am doing wrong but, it doesn't seem to work for me.
Typed in my password an clicked create. Tried it with QRDroid + WiFi plug in and also with Barcode Scanner but nothing worked. It recognises that it's a WiFi network and tries to connect but it doesn't:(

Edit: Also I tested it on an Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with CM 10.1.3 Stable and on my Nexus 7 (2013) with stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Last edited:

kalashenicof

Feb 28, 2012
Lisboa
Great app, and great idea, already expecting for the root function to share saved networks.

Just found a small bug, when I load the app it automatically shows the name of the network that I currently are connected, but it cuts of the first letter in the SSID name.

A small example:
If I was connected to an network with this SSID: OfficeNetwork
In the app I get this: fficeNetwrk

If it helps
I'm currently on a Galaxy Note 10.1 with a touchwiz 4.1.2 based ROM.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Stevenator21

Jul 3, 2012
I don't know what I am doing wrong but, it doesn't seem to work for me.
Typed in my password an clicked create. Tried it with QRDroid + WiFi plug in and also with Barcode Scanner but nothing worked. It recognises that it's a WiFi network and tries to connect but it doesn't:(

Edit: Also I tested it on an Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with CM 10.1.3 Stable and on my Nexus 7 (2013) with stock 4.4.2 KitKat
There was an error in the 1.1 version that broke QR Codes using Open + WEP, and is fixed in 1.2. That update is currently rolling out.

Last edited:

Stevenator21

Jul 3, 2012
Great app, and great idea, already expecting for the root function to share saved networks.

Just found a small bug, when I load the app it automatically shows the name of the network that I currently are connected, but it cuts of the first letter in the SSID name.

A small example:
If I was connected to an network with this SSID: OfficeNetwork
In the app I get this: fficeNetwrk

If it helps
I'm currently on a Galaxy Note 10.1 with a touchwiz 4.1.2 based ROM.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I am currently looking into the issue and will give an update shortly

Thank you! Looking forward to the Update!
No problem! Feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] if you have any further issues!

Reactions: kalashenicof

Stevenator21

Jul 3, 2012
Is this app open source? If so, could you direct me to the repository it's hosted on?
Funny you would ask that, I was just about to post about possibly making it Open Source! As of now it is sitting in a private Bit Bucket which could easily made public (Either making it public or putting it on GitHub). If you or others are interested in the source code, I can get to work on it tomorrow.

joshumax

Aug 19, 2011
www.github.com
Funny you would ask that, I was just about to post about possibly making it Open Source! As of now it is sitting in a private Bit Bucket which could easily made public (Either making it public or putting it on GitHub). If you or others are interested in the source code, I can get to work on it tomorrow.
That would be great if you could! I'd love to help out!

...Also kudos for using bitbucket instead of GitHub...

Tlingitsoldier

Mar 19, 2011
Olympia
Looks like a great app so far! Right now I use Instawifi, but I think I'm liking the design of yours a little better. Plus, Instawifi has some trouble when restoring from TiBu, where it doesn't fill the password field in saved SSIDs, which means I have to clear the app data to make it work again.

Question about the future NFC capabilities: will it be possible to create an NFC tag that does not require the app to already be installed for it to work? I would like to see this implemented, but I have no idea if it's even technically feasible/possible.

I'm looking forward to the root features you have in store to allow selecting previously stored networks, and am excited to see this app develop further. Keep up the good work!

gigsaw

Jun 22, 2010
Great idea, and I have a suggestion: is it possibile to implement the QR scanning for wifi in the set up that appeara on the first boot of android? I think that would be useful for everyone to set up the WiFi connection in a super fast way ;)

rdeg

Dec 4, 2010
BELLOT
Same missing first-letter bug for me on a Samsung Galaxy S3.
Waiting for your fix.

BTW, I am rooted and have a bunch of networks in my /data/misc/WiFi/wpa_supplicant.conf but I can't see any of them in your app (how?). Did I miss something?

Last edited:

houston_

Jan 30, 2011
Nördliches Flachland
I have a feature request! :)
Could you provide the ability to use the already saved networks out of the systemfiles of android?
I am searching for such an app since android 4.4 because my old backup tool is not working anymore and all the others i tried from the market aren't working too.
(making a setting to choose this feature because of the necessary root privileges?)

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone