[APP][4.0+][2013.09.11] GeoLog v0.50

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
GeoLog is a new kind of location tracker which changes tracking characteristics based on where you are and what you are doing.

On foot, you travel slower than by car, and you may not want to gather location data as often. If you're standing still, why track location at all - it's just a waste of power. If you're on a photo walk, you might only want to track location while walking, and not when doing anything else - like driving to the where the walk starts. When on a long trip, you may wish to use a less accurate low power tracking solution, while on a short trip you may prefer tracking as precisely as possible. This is all profile-based and highly configurable.

Based on Google's new fused location provider, it can determine when you are standing still, walking, cycling, or in a moving vehicle, and adjust tracking parameters accordingly. It will automatically switch between all methods of gathering location data (sensors, cell and Wi-Fi networks, GPS, etc) to give you the best location fix possible, within the parameters you set up.

The app currently supports exporting to GPX and KML formats, and has an extensive selection of export filters. GPX export files are tested against Lightroom, where KML export files are tested against Google Earth.

Apha / Experiment
This is an alpha release. It is already usable, but it's not yet feature complete. It has also not undergone rigorous testing on various Android versions yet, so expect issues. Reference/development device was an SGS3 running 4.2.

Furthermore, this whole thing is an experiment. I'm not sure how well this will work in reality. I have built it to track my whereabouts on a long trip far away, and seems to have worked rather well at that !

You will also probably need to adjust the profile presets to your personal preferences. Ultimately, I would like this to be good enough to just leave on 100% of the time!

Scary Permissions
This app requires location and activity permissions to track your location. It also needs to run at boot to start the tracking service (if enabled). Wakelocks are required to process the location data at the configured interval. External storage permissions are required to export your data.

I do not track anything you do or what you click. All personal data goes to the app internal database only, you are the only one with access to that information. Your information is not sent to me.

Source
GeoLog is open source, licensed as Apache v2. You can find the latest sources here: https://github.com/Chainfire/GeoLog . Note that a lot of what goes on under the hood is inside Google Play Services, which is closed source.

Download
You can get GeoLog at the Play Store

Screenshots

Attachments

• screenshot-1.png
    screenshot-1.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,478
  • screenshot-2.png
    screenshot-2.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,343
Last edited:

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Changelogs

2013.09.11 - v0.50
Restructured and rewrote some of the code for the open sourcing of the app, this is simply a rebuild. There are no significant feature updates or bugfixes.

2013.07.21 - v0.40 ALPHA
- Inititial public release

Last edited:

zulu965

Oct 14, 2010
Optimizing the use of all the sensors pertinent to location is an excellent idea.

I´ll start testing it right away.

dankoman

Oct 13, 2008
Philly
Been waiting for someone to make use of Google's new activity tracking api. If anyone can do it properly, it's you chain :D.

I look forward to what the future holds for this app. Testing now!

jug6ernaut

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2006
San Antonio, Tx
Another interesting app, not sure how much use ital be for me personally. But im sure i can i could find a way. Does it also consider other location sources or strictly GPS?

Edit: nm...i should read first, vn.

Last edited by a moderator:

willybarca

Apr 7, 2010
sydney
I still don't understand what exactly this app does.
does it make the entire phone use different location method for example Google map browser to use low power low accuracy, or the settings are just meant for geolog app only.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

voodoofox

Mar 23, 2011
I still don't understand what exactly this app does.
does it make the entire phone use different location method for example Google map browser to use low power low accuracy, or the settings are just meant for geolog app only.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah me neither...

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
I like the app. It had already saved me battery life, not alot but still better!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am always on the mobile app and am always 'trying' to help others and moderators on the forum and learning something new everyday. I make stupid posts sometimes, but I never repeat a mistake more than once. I may not be a developer, but I know alot of stuff, so feel free to messsge me any questions and I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm starting a video game company with my friend where we will be making Android games. message me for more info or go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290843

tltan86

Jun 30, 2011
I think basically this app does is to give you a more accurate geolocation with added features than currently how google map track yours.

hcarrega

Feb 10, 2007
Amadora
OnePlus 9
Xiaomi Mi 11i
Last duas geolog its not saving we'll the logs...when I export them Google earth can't open it

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Last days geolog its not saving we'll the logs...when I export them Google earth can't open it

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Last duas geolog its not saving we'll the logs...when I export them Google earth can't open it

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Sorry double post

Typhoe

Sep 28, 2007
Hi,

I used this app while taking a ship tour diving in the red sea.

It worked perfectly (I had only the GPS enabled) and by the time I got back at home, I was able to get a log of the different spots where I dived.

Thank you very much for this great app.

I now simply let it run in the background, and forget it.
And whenever I need to get the location of a place I was, the log are there!

Great!

Reactions: leonardoroza

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GeoLog is a new kind of location tracker which changes tracking characteristics based on where you are and what you are doing.

On foot, you travel slower than by car, and you may not want to gather location data as often. If you're standing still, why track location at all - it's just a waste of power. If you're on a photo walk, you might only want to track location while walking, and not when doing anything else - like driving to the where the walk starts. When on a long trip, you may wish to use a less accurate low power tracking solution, while on a short trip you may prefer tracking as precisely as possible. This is all profile-based and highly configurable.

Based on Google's new fused location provider, it can determine when you are standing still, walking, cycling, or in a moving vehicle, and adjust tracking parameters accordingly. It will automatically switch between all methods of gathering location data (sensors, cell and Wi-Fi networks, GPS, etc) to give you the best location fix possible, within the parameters you set up.

The app currently supports exporting to GPX and KML formats, and has an extensive selection of export filters. GPX export files are tested against Lightroom, where KML export files are tested against Google Earth.

Apha / Experiment
    This is an alpha release. It is already usable, but it's not yet feature complete. It has also not undergone rigorous testing on various Android versions yet, so expect issues. Reference/development device was an SGS3 running 4.2.

Furthermore, this whole thing is an experiment. I'm not sure how well this will work in reality. I have built it to track my whereabouts on a long trip far away, and seems to have worked rather well at that !

You will also probably need to adjust the profile presets to your personal preferences. Ultimately, I would like this to be good enough to just leave on 100% of the time!

Scary Permissions
    This app requires location and activity permissions to track your location. It also needs to run at boot to start the tracking service (if enabled). Wakelocks are required to process the location data at the configured interval. External storage permissions are required to export your data.

I do not track anything you do or what you click. All personal data goes to the app internal database only, you are the only one with access to that information. Your information is not sent to me.

Source
    GeoLog is open source, licensed as Apache v2. You can find the latest sources here: https://github.com/Chainfire/GeoLog . Note that a lot of what goes on under the hood is inside Google Play Services, which is closed source.

Download
    You can get GeoLog at the Play Store

Screenshots
    --- reserved post ---
    Changelogs

2013.09.11 - v0.50
    Restructured and rewrote some of the code for the open sourcing of the app, this is simply a rebuild. There are no significant feature updates or bugfixes.

2013.07.21 - v0.40 ALPHA
    - Inititial public release
    --- reserved post ---

When someone gets 5 'Thanks' for posting this, you know that the dude is a serious developer :laugh:

Jokes aside, I am very interested to see how it progresses.