• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][4.0.3+] BrightNotes - Simple, Easy Notetaking!

Search This thread

PowerLemons

Mar 26, 2013
iwkm9Vy.png

Summary
BrightNotes is notetaking made easy without complexity. Keep what you have in mind with the sleek, easy-to-use notepad.
From the beautiful app design to its uncomplicated core functionalities, it's no wonder why it's distinguishable from the rest.

Features
- Streamlined notepad design; sleek and easy-to-use.
- Cloud Sync with Dropbox. Google Drive and Box options coming soon.
- Search through your notes, edit your notes, and archive your notes on a Google Card-styled Layout!
- Minimal amount of permissions. The only permissions - view internet connections, internet access, and Google Play Billing - are used for cloud sync and the ad-free upgrade.
- Free with ads. $1.99 / €1.49 / £1.49 for ad-free version.
- ..and more to come in future updates!

Screenshots

Version Log
v1.5 - November 29th, 2014
- Material Design Widget added.
- UI tweaks for Android Lollipop (5.0)
- Slightly tweaked icon.
- Actionbar title rotation fixed.
- Bug fixes

v1.4.2 - November 16th, 2014
- UI changes for Android Lollipop (5.0)
- Advertisements fixed.

v1.4.1 - November 7th, 2014
- Revised icon.
- Dropbox sync fixed.
- Ad-Free in-app purchase support for Android Lollipop (5.0)
- Minor UI tweaks.
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.

v1.4 - October 18th, 2014
- Material Design redesign.

v1.3.4 - October 12th, 2014
- Swipe to archive/delete notes added back.
- Fixed date & time not properly displaying in Archive and Trash.
- Undo toast added.
- Floating Action Button hiding disabled as it interferes with the swipe notes feature.
- Bug fixes.

v1.3.3 - September 28th, 2014
- Date and Time display added.
- Improved Dropbox Sync performance.
- Bug fixes.

v1.3.2 - September 24th, 2014
- Crash fixes.

v1.3.1 - September 18th, 2014
- Crash fix for cloud sync.

v1.3 - September 18th, 2014
- New Floating Action Button.
- Sorting feature added.
- Contact information added in settings.
- Stability fixes.

v1.2.2 - August 21st, 2014
- Fixed crash affecting many users.
- Added dialog to remove account option in settings.

v1.2.1 - August 16th, 2014
- Fixed crash involving cloud sync.
- Stability fixes.

v1.2 - August 14th, 2014
- Fixed issue where ad would cover notes.

v1.1 - August 14th, 2014
- Added Dropbox Sync. Google Drive and Box coming soon.
- Added Settings menu.
- Added Ad-Free upgrade via in-app purchase.
- Small design changes/additions.

v1.0 - July 16th, 2014
- Release

Links
Play Store Link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dot.plus.brightnotes
Direct Link - View attachment BrightNotes_v1_5.apk
PlusApps Software (Still in construction) - http://plusapps.org/
PlusApps Google+ Group: https://plus.google.com/communities/104390992377877173967

Last edited:

//.dax

Aug 26, 2013
Amazing UI! Replacing Keep from now ;)
Anyway, could you make it more Material? :D Like adding FAB, removing icon from ActionBar and changing hamburger menu to new one (see app screenshot in attachment)
Looking forward to next releases and Drive backup support :p

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-21-14-32-06.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-21-14-32-06.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 557

cliemonster

Aug 16, 2007
Great app! I've been unhappy with the overcomplicated bloat of Evernote, and the inability of Keep to back up or extract in a readable format. This is a good looking, lean and mean app, so thanks! If possible, some type of import function would make this much more useful for people like me who would like to migrate over from another note app.

ignar

May 13, 2005
Thanks for the great app. Looks very clean and functional. One question. I enabled the Dropbox sync, but can't figure out where my notes are saved. Even after I saved the note and close the app, the desktop Dropbox icon doesn't show any file activities, and I wonder if the sync is actually working.

PowerLemons

Mar 26, 2013
Anyway, could you make it more Material? :D Like adding FAB, removing icon from ActionBar and changing hamburger menu to new one (see app screenshot in attachment)
In the coming updates, definitely! My first priority for the app is to fix its bugs and add sync options for Google Drive and Box, but I will work on features like what you suggested once I'm finished with them. I experimented with a FAB, and it looks awesome ;)

Your minimal use of permissions is greatly appreciated. Ads have now been removed (I paid), and I look forward to the upcoming Box integration.
Thank you for supporting the app! I plan to keep the most minimal amount of permissions on BrightNotes as much as possible. A lot of people want a good notetaking app that doesn't use a bunch of permissions, and I intend to fill that gap.

upload the source code to github please?
I'm not publishing the source, sorry!

Great app! I've been unhappy with the overcomplicated bloat of Evernote, and the inability of Keep to back up or extract in a readable format. This is a good looking, lean and mean app, so thanks! If possible, some type of import function would make this much more useful for people like me who would like to migrate over from another note app.
Thanks! I developed BrightNotes partly because of what you said, other note apps are overcomplicated.
And I would love to add an import function to BrightNotes, but I do not wish to get in trouble with the other developers. I hope you understand :)

Thanks for the great app. Looks very clean and functional. One question. I enabled the Dropbox sync, but can't figure out where my notes are saved. Even after I saved the note and close the app, the desktop Dropbox icon doesn't show any file activities, and I wonder if the sync is actually working.
The type of Dropbox Sync used by BrightNotes is different than what you would expect. The notes don't show up in your Dropbox folder, they're stored on a special place called a "Database".
The notes are there and tied to your account, just not in your typical Dropbox folder. Because they're stored on that special place, you can only view your notes through the BrightNotes app for now.

But rest assured, your notes are synced with Dropbox :)

Last edited:
Reactions: //.dax

ignar

May 13, 2005
The type of Dropbox Sync used by BrightNotes is different than what you would expect. The notes don't show up in your Dropbox folder, but they're there.
The notes are tied to your Dropbox account, just not in your typical Dropbox folder. This means the notes aren't lost if you happen to uninstall the app with Dropbox enabled.

Thanks for the reply. I am a bit disappointed since I liked to access the notes from both iOS and Android devices. A Dropbox based text note app is surprisingly rare in Android side.

PowerLemons

Mar 26, 2013
BrightNotes v1.2.2 has been released!
This update contains a crucial crash fix and a dialog for the remove account option in settings.
You should be able to download and install the update via the Play Store in a couple of hours. If you don't like waiting, direct link is in main post.

Last edited:
Reactions: //.dax

kakkapeelo

Oct 27, 2010
What a nice looking and bloatfree note taking app.

My wishlist
- option for directly deleteing notes instead of having to move them trough archive and trash

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    iwkm9Vy.png

Summary
    BrightNotes is notetaking made easy without complexity. Keep what you have in mind with the sleek, easy-to-use notepad.
    From the beautiful app design to its uncomplicated core functionalities, it's no wonder why it's distinguishable from the rest.

Features
    - Streamlined notepad design; sleek and easy-to-use.
    - Cloud Sync with Dropbox. Google Drive and Box options coming soon.
    - Search through your notes, edit your notes, and archive your notes on a Google Card-styled Layout!
    - Minimal amount of permissions. The only permissions - view internet connections, internet access, and Google Play Billing - are used for cloud sync and the ad-free upgrade.
    - Free with ads. $1.99 / €1.49 / £1.49 for ad-free version.
    - ..and more to come in future updates!

Screenshots

Version Log
    v1.5 - November 29th, 2014
    - Material Design Widget added.
    - UI tweaks for Android Lollipop (5.0)
    - Slightly tweaked icon.
    - Actionbar title rotation fixed.
    - Bug fixes

v1.4.2 - November 16th, 2014
    - UI changes for Android Lollipop (5.0)
    - Advertisements fixed.

v1.4.1 - November 7th, 2014
    - Revised icon.
    - Dropbox sync fixed.
    - Ad-Free in-app purchase support for Android Lollipop (5.0)
    - Minor UI tweaks.
    - Bug fixes and stability improvements.

v1.4 - October 18th, 2014
    - Material Design redesign.

v1.3.4 - October 12th, 2014
    - Swipe to archive/delete notes added back.
    - Fixed date & time not properly displaying in Archive and Trash.
    - Undo toast added.
    - Floating Action Button hiding disabled as it interferes with the swipe notes feature.
    - Bug fixes.

v1.3.3 - September 28th, 2014
    - Date and Time display added.
    - Improved Dropbox Sync performance.
    - Bug fixes.

v1.3.2 - September 24th, 2014
    - Crash fixes.

v1.3.1 - September 18th, 2014
    - Crash fix for cloud sync.

v1.3 - September 18th, 2014
    - New Floating Action Button.
    - Sorting feature added.
    - Contact information added in settings.
    - Stability fixes.

v1.2.1 - August 16th, 2014
    - Fixed crash involving cloud sync.
    - Stability fixes.

v1.2 - August 14th, 2014
    - Fixed issue where ad would cover notes.

v1.1 - August 14th, 2014
    - Added Dropbox Sync. Google Drive and Box coming soon.
    - Added Settings menu.
    - Added Ad-Free upgrade via in-app purchase.
    - Small design changes/additions.

v1.0 - July 16th, 2014
    - Release

Links
    Play Store Link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dot.plus.brightnotes
    Direct Link - View attachment BrightNotes_v1_5.apk
    PlusApps Software (Still in construction) - http://plusapps.org/
    PlusApps Google+ Group: https://plus.google.com/communities/104390992377877173967

In the coming updates, definitely! My first priority for the app is to fix its bugs and add sync options for Google Drive and Box, but I will work on features like what you suggested once I'm finished with them. I experimented with a FAB, and it looks awesome ;)

Your minimal use of permissions is greatly appreciated. Ads have now been removed (I paid), and I look forward to the upcoming Box integration.
    Thank you for supporting the app! I plan to keep the most minimal amount of permissions on BrightNotes as much as possible. A lot of people want a good notetaking app that doesn't use a bunch of permissions, and I intend to fill that gap.

upload the source code to github please?
    I'm not publishing the source, sorry!

Thanks! I developed BrightNotes partly because of what you said, other note apps are overcomplicated.
    And I would love to add an import function to BrightNotes, but I do not wish to get in trouble with the other developers. I hope you understand :)

The type of Dropbox Sync used by BrightNotes is different than what you would expect. The notes don't show up in your Dropbox folder, they're stored on a special place called a "Database".
    The notes are there and tied to your account, just not in your typical Dropbox folder. Because they're stored on that special place, you can only view your notes through the BrightNotes app for now.

But rest assured, your notes are synced with Dropbox :)
    BrightNotes v1.2.2 has been released!
    This update contains a crucial crash fix and a dialog for the remove account option in settings.
    You should be able to download and install the update via the Play Store in a couple of hours. If you don't like waiting, direct link is in main post.

I'm adding a Floating Action Button and a sorting feature to BrightNotes for v1.3. Do you guys like it :)?
    ytgvyDR.png
    I'd also love to be able to add check lists.
    I'll be adding checklists in a future update :)