[APP][4.0.3+ & GB][XPOSED] ProtectedApps

defim

Feb 18, 2012
Extra protection for your apps

With this app you could protect app with a password, PIN or pattern. The Android lockscreen is used for that. The protection could not be removed with a simple long press on back-button, like with most other apps. You could even protect not straight startable apps eg the package-installer.
Donation: You could select a unlimited count of apps.

TouchWiz users (most Samsung devices): Please enable in settings the compat mode BEFORE reboot the device with enabled module!

Features:
All features are supported since Android 4.2. With older versions not supported options are hidden in the settings.
  • Different observation modes: First start of apps or while using it
  • Duration of unlock time configurable
  • Autmatic locking could be switched off.
  • Notification options: Always, while unlocked, never
  • Duration of unlock could be configured
  • Pre-lock slider could be disabled for app unlocking
  • Minimal and maximal time frame of unlocking configurable
Examples:
  • The device is protected by slider, protected apps with a PIN
  • The device is protected by slider and PIN+TimePIN, protected apps with pattern
Or you could use custom unlock mehtods without the keyguard:
  • Crash report
  • Knock Code
  • Pattern
  • PIN
  • Password
Recommendation:
For extreme protection select these apps:
  • Play Store (install/remove apps)
  • Xposed Installer (enable/disable modules)
  • Package-Installer (install/remove apks)
  • Settings (Android system settings)
  • ProtectedApps (configure protected apps)
WARNING: Please configure and check ProtectedApps with other apps before!

Coloring:
  • YELLOW: System app, could be started by launcher.
  • YELLOW+BLUE: System app, not straight startable.
  • BLUE: User app, not straight startable.
Donator:
  • No self-promotion in the app.
  • More than 5 apps could be selected.
  • You support this app and further development!
Permissions:
  • DEVICE_ADMIN: Lock device (required)
  • BOOT_COMPLETE: Show persistent notification (optional)
Modules reported not correct working with this app:
  • DS Battery saver
  • Lockscreen disabler

This app does not connect itself to any websites or hosts!

Important:
This app needs the Xposed Framework. The framework requires root access for installation. Don't forget to enable the module in Xposed. You can grab it here: Xposed Installer

Play Store: http://tinyurl.com/lp4fn99
Xposed Repository: http://tinyurl.com/oxdejr9
Changelog: http://tinyurl.com/of6gvex

Why this app? Killing "protection" by long touch on back button could be optimized :)

Translation:
You could find here a interface to translate the english strings: http://tinyurl.com/okycacj
A free account of www.oneskyapp.com is required to edit. Additional, please attach your email address or send it via PM ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

ahrion

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2013
Bootloops galaxy s5 stock

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

chw9999

Dec 29, 2006
Bensheim
Great app :)

Even though it might compromise security, could you add an option to disable locking while in home Wi-Fi net (or BT etc)? Or add a Tasker shortcut to do so?

Thanks a lot!

defim

Feb 18, 2012
Great app :)

Even though it might compromise security, could you add an option to disable locking while in home Wi-Fi net (or BT etc)? Or add a Tasker shortcut to do so?

I think Tasker Support is better, so could many events beused. What about that: PA accept a broadcast, it contains
1) "mode" extra: protect apps, unlock forever and maybe unlock apps for the duration set in settings
2) "password" extra: In the settings could be a password defined and tasker has to add it to the broadcast. So not every app could send a broadcast.

Bootloops galaxy s5 stock
Can you attach a logcat and logfile of Xposed?

Good Job...
But have a problem , for relock app's must pulldown status bar and touch notification of your app till lock apps...
pls add options for relouck app when close app,..
That's not so easy, android does not "closes" apps, it "pauses" them. Eg if you hit HOME button while an app is open it is paused. Therefore is in the menu of PA an "exit" item.
You could get ~~ what you want if you set the oservation method to "create" and the unlocked time to it's minimum (its 30 atm)

Reactions: a10fjet and chw9999

chw9999

Dec 29, 2006
Bensheim
I think Tasker Support is better, so could many events beused. What about that: PA accept a broadcast, it contains
1) "mode" extra: protect apps, unlock forever and maybe unlock apps for the duration set in settings
2) "password" extra: In the settings could be a password defined and tasker has to add it to the broadcast. So not every app could send a broadcast.
Wohoo, that would be cool [emoji1]

Right now i have a tasker event to lock apps when away from home, but it's not a really save option.your method should be more reliable.

Thanks again!

cramu

Mar 12, 2012
Berlin
Nice to hear that you're going to integrate with Tasker to control app protection.
Any plans to support app grouping so we can lock/unlock groups of certain apps depending on (Tasker-)context?

defim

Feb 18, 2012
Nice to hear that you're going to integrate with Tasker to control app protection.
Any plans to support app grouping so we can lock/unlock groups of certain apps depending on (Tasker-)context?
I'm not sure which way, have to thing about it. But at first some bugfixes. :)

I also got bootloop with s5. Got by any change a fix without restoring backup or reinstall rom?

Tried wipe dalvik cache and cache but no luck
You could disable whole xposed with pushing five times a hardware key during boot. After that you have to enable it again in installer! Can you get before that a logcat and attach?

Spanish translation is complete, thanks for another great module :good:
Thanks, i'll atach a translated apk late. In case you forgot: The old unlocker should still work

Does not work on my Galaxy S4 I9505 with Android 4.4.2 when selected an application is not saved in the list of selected applications.
Please check that the folder "files" was created in /data/data/de.defim.apk.protectedapps. There should be also "cache" and something with shared-preferences. There was with another app also the case the "files" was not created, this should be done by android while installing the app. If you create it by yourself, set the same user&permissions like "de.defim.apk.protectedapps" has

Kagoshema

Jul 17, 2010
bugs/suggestions
If there is no lock screen set for the phone then protected apps are impossible to open. Further if there is no lock screen set for the phone then it is also impossible to set a different locking method for protected apps and different methods that were set when the phone did have a lock screen stop working when the lock screen is removed.
So suggestion would be to make a way for your app to work even if the user has screen lock set to "None".

Reactions: MindArchr

defim

Feb 18, 2012
bugs/suggestions
If there is no lock screen set for the phone then protected apps are impossible to open. Further if there is no lock screen set for the phone then it is also impossible to set a different locking method for protected apps and different methods that were set when the phone did have a lock screen stop working when the lock screen is removed.
So suggestion would be to make a way for your app to work even if the user has screen lock set to "None".
Thanks for reporting, i had not considered that case... Should be fixed in attached file (dont forget to reboot, the app reminds only if version code changed)

@badkill: Also translation included

Attachments

Reactions: badkill

Kagoshema

Jul 17, 2010
Thanks for reporting, i had not considered that case... Should be fixed in attached file (dont forget to reboot, the app reminds only if version code changed)

@badkill: Also translation included
Nice quick fix. I'll give it a test.

Tested:
Looks good. Minor detail; in settings under "method to unlock apps" if "Don't change" is selected then the checkbox "Use a custom patter/PIN/password" does nothing. I'll probably play around more but you've got my donation.

Also: in settings what is the difference between the "time after which a new unlocking is requested"(self explanatory) and "minimal/maximal duration of unlocking"?

Last edited:

Lord_Flaya

Jun 1, 2012
Tomelilla
Really nice mod. Is it possible to evolve it so that you can have protection for selected operations on the device? Demand pin for deleting SMS or whatever the user choose to protect..?

Sent from my A9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app