[APP][4.0.3+][GUIDE] GlassHome with Live Camera Stream (or any wallpaper)

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Firstly, porting GlassHome is NOT the work of me. It is the work of Zhuowei Zhang and I accept no credit for his work

Glass Home with Wallpaper view
This part tells you how to, I have done it for you, see below:
It was a simple edit. All it took was to change a few lines of the styles.xml of the glass home:
Code:
<style name="GlassTheme" parent="@*android:style/Theme[COLOR=Red].Wallpaper[/COLOR]">
Add the bit in red

Code:
<item name="android:windowBackground">@*android:color/black</item>
Remove all references to this in that XML

I also changed the line:
Code:
<item name="android:screenOrientation">landscape</item>
to:
Code:
<item name="android:screenOrientation">fullSensor</item>
Just in case anyone is having issues with it being stuck in landscape

What does this mean for me?
You can now see the wallpaper of your device behind the Glass Home. Until the sources for Glass home come out (if they do) we can't integrate anything into the app itself

However, due to Android's Theme.Wallpaper allowing live view of live wallpapers, we can still use a live camera view behind it to get the effect of proper Glass

Introducing, Google Glass Home with live camera view
"ok glass, you're on my phone now" - Now I just need to bolt you to my head and I'll have glass for $1000 cheaper than actually buying one

This guide is simple. All you have to do is install two things and set a live wallpaper. No mess:
1.) Download the modded glass home apk from below
2.) Install it as a normal apk (uninstall any old ones you may have that might clash)
3.) Download & Install this live wallpaper - To my knowledge this is the best camera live wallpaper. Others break when you say "ok glass <do something>" and go back
4.) Set it as your wallpaper
5.) Install the rest of the glass APKs if you haven't already, from the original project page
6.) Launch Glass Home. You now have Google Glass on your phone (well, sort of)

Downloads
Glasshome-modded-signed.apk - The modded home with wallpaper view
The page where you can get the rest of the APKs from

Screenshots
attachment.php
attachment.php

Top tips
If your ROM has an option to hide the navigation bar (if you have one), do so. Even better, have it do it automatically
Don't forget to install the other APKs to take photos, get directions and more!

Attachments

• device-2013-05-28-123525.jpg
    device-2013-05-28-123525.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,603
  • device-2013-05-28-123500.jpg
    device-2013-05-28-123500.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,414
Last edited:

herobrine_second

Nov 17, 2012
Singapore
Thanks, but when I opened the Glass Home, said OK glass, take a picture, it goes through the picture taking animation, but then says that it has stopped.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

kryzeK

Jul 17, 2012
Cachoeira Paulista
I've used Glass Home, now installed your apk and I can no longer take pictures. Force close camera

EDIT: Force closes only with "live camera view" ("Transparent Wallpaper Camera" app). Normal wallpaper works good

Last edited:

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
I've used Glass Home, now installed your apk and I can no longer take pictures. Force close camera

EDIT: Force closes only with "live camera view" ("Transparent Wallpaper Camera" app). Normal wallpaper works good
I didn't change the camera at all, it should have no issues whatever wallpaper is applied

Zatta

Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contrib
Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
It is a bug in the wallpaper

Edit: sorry, my son distracted me before I could finish this post..

Anyway, that live wallpaper doesn't release the camera when the launcher has left the foreground.

Edit edit: at least not with cyanogenmod 10.1 on the sgs3 i9300, a room that was plagued with camera bugs anyway.

Edit edit edit: nice job nonetheless Quinny, thanks for this experiment. Lesson learned: don't post on xda, cook and have two kids around at the same time.

Taptalked u see .. əəs n pəʞlɐʇdɐʇ

Last edited:

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk

Anyway, that live wallpaper doesn't release the camera when the launcher has left the foreground.

Edit edit: at least not with cyanogenmod 10.1 on the sgs3 i9300, a room that was plagued with camera bugs anyway.

Edit edit edit: nice job nonetheless Quinny, thanks for this experiment. Lesson learned: don't post on xda, cook and have two kids around at the same time.

You know what you need, you need glass to post through voice ;)

Reactions: Zatta

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firstly, porting GlassHome is NOT the work of me. It is the work of Zhuowei Zhang and I accept no credit for his work

Glass Home with Wallpaper view
    This part tells you how to, I have done it for you, see below:
    It was a simple edit. All it took was to change a few lines of the styles.xml of the glass home:
    Code:
    <style name="GlassTheme" parent="@*android:style/Theme[COLOR=Red].Wallpaper[/COLOR]">
    Add the bit in red

Code:
    <item name="android:windowBackground">@*android:color/black</item>
    Remove all references to this in that XML

I also changed the line:
    Code:
    <item name="android:screenOrientation">landscape</item>
    to:
    Code:
    <item name="android:screenOrientation">fullSensor</item>
    Just in case anyone is having issues with it being stuck in landscape

What does this mean for me?
    You can now see the wallpaper of your device behind the Glass Home. Until the sources for Glass home come out (if they do) we can't integrate anything into the app itself

However, due to Android's Theme.Wallpaper allowing live view of live wallpapers, we can still use a live camera view behind it to get the effect of proper Glass

Introducing, Google Glass Home with live camera view
    "ok glass, you're on my phone now" - Now I just need to bolt you to my head and I'll have glass for $1000 cheaper than actually buying one

This guide is simple. All you have to do is install two things and set a live wallpaper. No mess:
    1.) Download the modded glass home apk from below
    2.) Install it as a normal apk (uninstall any old ones you may have that might clash)
    3.) Download & Install this live wallpaper - To my knowledge this is the best camera live wallpaper. Others break when you say "ok glass <do something>" and go back
    4.) Set it as your wallpaper
    5.) Install the rest of the glass APKs if you haven't already, from the original project page
    6.) Launch Glass Home. You now have Google Glass on your phone (well, sort of)

Downloads
    Glasshome-modded-signed.apk - The modded home with wallpaper view
    The page where you can get the rest of the APKs from

Screenshots
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

Top tips
    If your ROM has an option to hide the navigation bar (if you have one), do so. Even better, have it do it automatically
    Don't forget to install the other APKs to take photos, get directions and more!

You know what you need, you need glass to post through voice ;)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone