• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][4.0.3+] Netflix Sleep Timer

Search This thread

crazyfool_1

Nov 25, 2010
07c03e10ab.jpg

Beta on the Play Store

What does it do?
It acts as a sleep timer for the Netflix app, putting it to sleep after a set period of time.

How does it work?
It works by initially lowering the volume and brightness of your display, so you don't get awoken by the sudden silence if you're using it at night. It then closes the Netflix app, puts your display to sleep (by changing the display timeout to it's lowest setting), then puts all your settings (volume etc) back to their original values. Job done.

Why does it need permission to modify system settings?
Two reasons:
  1. It needs this permission to be able lower the screens brightness to gently sleep the Netflix app.
  2. To turn your device off afterwards, the technical choices were either a, set the timeout to the lowest level and let the device put itself to sleep, or b, request device admin permissions to allow the app to manually turn off your screen... I don't know about you but I'm not too keen on giving apps admin access to my device :D

Known issues
There is currently no way to interrupt the app, so if it triggers at the set time, you just have to wait for it to finish - This will be resolved in the next release.

Last edited: