• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][4.0.3+] QuickEdit Text Editor

Search This thread

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Hello,

The Google Play supports rolling updates to partial of users. I always use this feature in case there is any big issue in the latest release and I can fix it soon without impact all users.

So some users may see 1.6.7, the others may see 1.6.8.
Its no real problem, v1.6.7 works fine for me.

FYI: when I tried downloading the one from your official website, the APK that downloaded was a REALLY old version. I simply followed the links in the OP.

cwriasir

Mar 26, 2019
Thank you for your explanation. I will think about it.

I think your best solution is to only keep the markdown source files, then generate all files at same time following the same template in batch.

You can use QuickEdit to maintain the markdown files, and you can use another tool to generate html files using templates.

BTW, I have changed the markdown engine to flexmark in next release, thanks for your suggestion.

Marvelous to know about the flexmark change. I will definitely be checking it out.

That's a good thought. Batch creation of these pages is by far easier than when it's done manually, true. Do you think the single file exportation, while I personally welcome, could be argued with if there have not been feedback from more users? But anyway IMO at least the black-on-white preview can use some CSS.

Thanks for your work again :)

Brooklyn8807

Aug 3, 2011
Melbourne,Florida
Hello Quick Edit Team!
Quick Edit Pro user here. I use Quick Edit for alot of text formating prep for conversion to xml. Any way to add an option in the same menu where "search" and "go to line" are for "Trim Leading Spaces" & "Trim Trailing Spaces" ? It would help alot in .txt editing on the go.

jcmm11

Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Hello Quick Edit Team!
Quick Edit Pro user here. I use Quick Edit for alot of text formating prep for conversion to xml. Any way to add an option in the same menu where "search" and "go to line" are for "Trim Leading Spaces" & "Trim Trailing Spaces" ? It would help alot in .txt editing on the go.
You want to find/replace leading/trailing spaces? If so you can already do that using regular expressions.

To find leading spaces the regular expression is:
(?m)^ +

For trailing spaces it would be:
(?m) +$

Put nothing in the replace with string and a replace all would remove all the leading/trailing spaces.

To find a line with both leading and trailing spaces, separated by some other characters:
(?m)^ +.+ +$

A blank replace all in this case would remove the entire line (except for the LF (and/or CR depending on your formatting).

javalava101

Nov 23, 2019
Markdown Preview

I use Markdown and value the Preview mode a lot. However, I use the Quickedit+ dark theme and Preview is (by contrast) glaringly white! :) For the next update, could you extend the dark theme (or something like) to Preview mode too?

QE+ is easily the best editor on Android (I've tried most). So a heartfelt Thank you for making your hard work publicly available. Much appreciated.

Christopher Willmot

cwriasir

Mar 26, 2019
Thank you for your explanation. I will think about it.

I think your best solution is to only keep the markdown source files, then generate all files at same time following the same template in batch.

You can use QuickEdit to maintain the markdown files, and you can use another tool to generate html files using templates.

BTW, I have changed the markdown engine to flexmark in next release, thanks for your suggestion.

Hey,

I want to thank you again for getting QuickEdit a new MarkDown engine (I learned flexmark is both parser+renderer). But I think the most essential of flexmark has yet to be brought to us. Flexmark supports multiple syntax rules within and beyond Commonmark, you could even make a functionality superset of most other MarkDown applications out of it. They are provided only through extensions. However, it appears QuickEdit does not support many of these syntax rules upon testing. I have to assume no extension has been added yet, maybe because you guys had not noticed this.

They seem easy to include from the look of their documentation, therefore I think introducing some of them would be trivial. I would like to request that these syntax rules, which I believe are also what most MarkDown users would love to see, be added:
- Strikethroughs, (Markdown4j supported it but flexmark does not by default)
- Footnotes,
- Tables,
- Table of contents (TOC).
This addition would make QuickEdit more powerful without extra items in the Preferences, if that is what concerns you.

Personally I would also bid for Admonitions but this is kind of the cutting edge, so I am not anticipating it but generally wishing for it.

Also I would like to request the GFM line break. It will enhance everyone's experience on a mobile device.
This change makes more sense now for the following reason. In a setting for HTML editing, where word wrapping is conventionally off, new lines are only meant to aid the readability of the source. Thus new lines irrespective of the consecutive amount of them in the source HTML are standardized and called soft breaks, and hard breaks are made to produce line breaks in the end result. Meanwhile in a setting where word wrapping is on, there is no such need. A real line break in the source should mean a new line in the end result by now.

Since the Word Wrap toggle is added to the top right menu, there will be plenty of users in the future that feel it more natural to enable it while editing MarkDown. In fact I myself am already doing this. It does not feel right to hit return every 7 words with word wrapping off. That is even nothing compared to how many spaces I need to append, because when I use line breaks I tend to use a lot in a row. GFM line breaks exempt users from entering more characters when it could have been unneeded.

It appears flexmark is not using the GFM line break syntax by default, but possible through configuring the options. By default, (single) new lines in paragraphs are parsed as soft breaks, and then the soft breaks are rendered into HTML as is, but most browsers just render soft breaks in HTML as spaces on the page. The GFM line break syntax could be done either by parsing single new lines as hard breaks instead of soft breaks, or getting soft breaks rendered as hard breaks on the page. There is an option HtmlRenderer.SOFT_BREAK which, when set to "<br />\n", the same as the default value for HtmlRenderer.HARD_BREAK, does just the latter.

Please consider my proposals. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017
Hi!
I turned on the dark design on my smartphone and in all applications. QuickEdit Pro Version 1.7.0 also includes dark design, but when the editor starts, an empty bright white screen lights up for 1-2 seconds! It's really not nice! Please correct it.
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Android 6.01 stock
Thank you.
Best regards,
Alexander.

Last edited:

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
Hey,

I want to thank you again for getting QuickEdit a new MarkDown engine (I learned flexmark is both parser+renderer). But I think the most essential of flexmark has yet to be brought to us. Flexmark supports multiple syntax rules within and beyond Commonmark, you could even make a functionality superset of most other MarkDown applications out of it. They are provided only through extensions. However, it appears QuickEdit does not support many of these syntax rules upon testing. I have to assume no extension has been added yet, maybe because you guys had not noticed this.

They seem easy to include from the look of their documentation, therefore I think introducing some of them would be trivial. I would like to request that these syntax rules, which I believe are also what most MarkDown users would love to see, be added:
- Strikethroughs, (Markdown4j supported it but flexmark does not by default)
- Footnotes,
- Tables,
- Table of contents (TOC).
This addition would make QuickEdit more powerful without extra items in the Preferences, if that is what concerns you.

Personally I would also bid for Admonitions but this is kind of the cutting edge, so I am not anticipating it but generally wishing for it.

Also I would like to request the GFM line break. It will enhance everyone's experience on a mobile device.
This change makes more sense now for the following reason. In a setting for HTML editing, where word wrapping is conventionally off, new lines are only meant to aid the readability of the source. Thus new lines irrespective of the consecutive amount of them in the source HTML are standardized and called soft breaks, and hard breaks are made to produce line breaks in the end result. Meanwhile in a setting where word wrapping is on, there is no such need. A real line break in the source should mean a new line in the end result by now.

Since the Word Wrap toggle is added to the top right menu, there will be plenty of users in the future that feel it more natural to enable it while editing MarkDown. In fact I myself am already doing this. It does not feel right to hit return every 7 words with word wrapping off. That is even nothing compared to how many spaces I need to append, because when I use line breaks I tend to use a lot in a row. GFM line breaks exempt users from entering more characters when it could have been unneeded.

It appears flexmark is not using the GFM line break syntax by default, but possible through configuring the options. By default, (single) new lines in paragraphs are parsed as soft breaks, and then the soft breaks are rendered into HTML as is, but most browsers just render soft breaks in HTML as spaces on the page. The GFM line break syntax could be done either by parsing single new lines as hard breaks instead of soft breaks, or getting soft breaks rendered as hard breaks on the page. There is an option HtmlRenderer.SOFT_BREAK which, when set to "<br />\n", the same as the default value for HtmlRenderer.HARD_BREAK, does just the latter.

Please consider my proposals. Many thanks.

I have not considered the flexmark extensions yet, just the core engine included.

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
Hi!
I turned on the dark design on my smartphone and in all applications. QuickEdit Pro Version 1.7.0 also includes dark design, but when the editor starts, an empty bright white screen lights up for 1-2 seconds! It's really not nice! Please correct it.
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Android 6.01 stock
Thank you.
Best regards,
Alexander.

This is because the default theme is light theme. I have not found a perfect solution for this problem yet.

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
I use Markdown and value the Preview mode a lot. However, I use the Quickedit+ dark theme and Preview is (by contrast) glaringly white! :) For the next update, could you extend the dark theme (or something like) to Preview mode too?

QE+ is easily the best editor on Android (I've tried most). So a heartfelt Thank you for making your hard work publicly available. Much appreciated.

Christopher Willmot

I will consider this in future releases. I found that Android webview can have dark mode now so I think this is feasible.

powerexplorer

Apr 21, 2018
The best text editor app that I know!!!

But can you support that after saving, there is only a Toast displayed, not a dialog at present. It's an inconvenience to close it frequently.

If it is possible, can you display a Toast about the coding and type of new line when we open a new text.

Thank you so much,

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
The best text editor app that I know!!!

But can you support that after saving, there is only a Toast displayed, not a dialog at present. It's an inconvenience to close it frequently.

If it is possible, can you display a Toast about the coding and type of new line when we open a new text.

Thank you so much,

Frankly speaking, the dialog is used to show ads. You can purchase the paid ad-free version, it will display toast instead of dialog.

Phoost

Jan 16, 2013
Best text editor but there is a small bug present for a long time.
Let's start how I use QuickEdit
I'm using EDS to store information in text files. When clicking on a text file to open it I select QuickEdit. This works.

Often I use recent app list to switch to another App. Later I come back to EDS and cklick on another text file. Select QuickEdit. then it still shows the first file not the second one. I need to close the first file in QuickEditor before I can show another one.

For a file I changed I can understand this. At least for a unchanged file I expect that it auto close the first file and shows the new file.

Steps to reproduce:
Create container with two text files in EDS. (A.txt and B.txt)
Open this container in EDS
Click on File A.txt
Select QuickEdit -> QuickEdit opens and shows content of file A.txt
Switch back to EDS via recent app list
Click on B.txt
Select QuickEdit
QuickEdit will shown but still has A.txt. Not content of B.txt

I guess my usage is an edge case but would be nice if you can change this.

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
Best text editor but there is a small bug present for a long time.
Let's start how I use QuickEdit
I'm using EDS to store information in text files. When clicking on a text file to open it I select QuickEdit. This works.

Often I use recent app list to switch to another App. Later I come back to EDS and cklick on another text file. Select QuickEdit. then it still shows the first file not the second one. I need to close the first file in QuickEditor before I can show another one.

For a file I changed I can understand this. At least for a unchanged file I expect that it auto close the first file and shows the new file.

Steps to reproduce:
Create container with two text files in EDS. (A.txt and B.txt)
Open this container in EDS
Click on File A.txt
Select QuickEdit -> QuickEdit opens and shows content of file A.txt
Switch back to EDS via recent app list
Click on B.txt
Select QuickEdit
QuickEdit will shown but still has A.txt. Not content of B.txt

I guess my usage is an edge case but would be nice if you can change this.

What is EDS? If it is a file management app, I suggest to use QuickEdit directly to open the files using built-in file explorer.

Phoost

Jan 16, 2013
What is EDS? If it is a file management app, I suggest to use QuickEdit directly to open the files using built-in file explorer.

It's an app which handles encrypted containers. The files in the container exists just in EDS. Not in a real filesystem. Therefor I can't access files inside a EDS container via a file explorer App.
Only the oposit works. Open a file inside the container with EDS and select a text editor. I dont know how the text editor receives the file content. I guess it uses standard Android share functionality.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

I have made an advanced text editor on Android - QuickEdit Text Editor.
    It includes a lot of optimization on performance and user experience, the speed and feedback is much better than current published text editor apps on Google Play.
    Since this app is mainly for developers. I think it is very suitable to introduce it in this forum. Please download and have a try.

Download

Download it directly from Google Play:

QR Code:

If there is any problem with Google Play, you can also review and download it from my website:
    http://rhmsoft.com/?p=283

Features

* Enhanced notepad application with numerous improvements.
    * Code editor and highlight syntax for more than 40 different programming languages.
    * High performance and real time feedback on large text files (more than 10,000 lines).
    * Show and hide line numbers.
    * Undo and redo modifications without limit.
    * Display, increase and decrease line indents.
    * Fast selection and editing.
    * Smooth scroll in both vertical and horizontal direction.
    * Directly goto specified line number.
    * Quickly search and replace.
    * Easily input color hex.
    * Automatically detect character encoding.
    * Open file from recent opened and added files.
    * Support both light and dark theme.
    * Optimized for both phone and tablet.

Supported Programming Languages

Assembly (AGC/AEA), AutoIt, Bash, Basic, C, C#, C++, CSS, Clojure, Dart, Elixir, Erlang, F#, Fortran, Go, HTML, Haskell, Java, JavaScript, Kotlin, LLVM, LaTeX, Lisp, Logcat, Lua, Makefile, Matlab, Mumps, Nemerle, OCaml, PHP, Pascal, PowerShell, Protocol Buffers, Python, R, R Documentation, Ruby, Rust, S, Smali, SML, SQL, Scala, Swift, TCL, VBScript, VHDL '93, Visual Basic, Wiki, XML, XQuery, YAML.

Supported Application Languages

English, Arabic, Belarusian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Czech, Dutch, Estonian, German, Greek, French, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Japanese, Korean, Bahasa Indonesia, Persian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, European Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.

Snapshots

All snapshots have been re-sized and compressed to save your bandwidth.

10 inch tablet landscape(Nexus 10):

10-1.png

10-2.png

8 inch tablet portrait(LG G Pad 8.3):

7-1.png
    7-2.png

5 inch phone portrait(Nexus 5):

1.png
    2.png
    5.png

3.png
    4.png
    6.png

Promo Video

Feedback

Please leave your comment or request in this thread directly. I will visit and reply regularly.
    Also you can send any suggestion to my support email: [email protected].
    Thanks for your support! Enjoy it!

XDA:DevDB Information
    QuickEdit Text Editor, App for the Apps & Games

Contributors
    rhmsoft

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.1.2
    Stable Release Date: 2016-03-30

Created 2014-10-18
    Last Updated 2016-03-31
    Change History

Please refer to following page:

https://rhmsoft.com/qedit/changelog.html
    I have converted this thread to DevDB project.

If you have bug report or feature request, you can also post them in associated tab of this project.

Thanks for using!
    Status Update

I spent a lot of time to develop a new material designed music player in recent months, which is why QuickEdit has not been updated.
    Now this music player is finished, here is the link to it in xda-developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-pulsar-music-player-t3197336
    It is named Pulsar Music Player. Please download and have a try!

So I have more time to maintain QuickEdit now. There are lots of features in plan, and also some bugs. They will be released and fixed in future releases soon.:) Thanks.
    Best Editor App, been using it...
    keep up the good work :)